Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What do you wish you'd thought of before you left your job?

Quality of life issues are requiring me to leave the town where my company is located. I've lived in a city I dislike because of my career for far too long.

That said, I love my company. I have a skill which is valuable to them, we're good friends and have worked together a decade. I am taking them a proposal to let me open and lead a small branch in another city and continue to work with them.

I really would love that scenario to work out. I'd say there's a 33% chance it might.

But if it doesn't, I have to make good on my promise to myself and resign.

I have six months of savings and have the ability to freelance consult pretty easily, while I figure out what's next.

I anticipate doing COBRA. What else would you consider if you were leaving a job?

by Anonymousreply 4009/15/2013

How am I going to pay my bills if I don't get another job with unemployment being so high.

by Anonymousreply 108/01/2013

Ha! So weird that you posted this, OP. I'm leaving a job I've been at for 8 months and I've got about 3-4 months worth of savings. I feel dead where I'm at and would rather struggle than dedicate 45 hours of my week for money I only use on rent and coffee.

by Anonymousreply 208/01/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 308/01/2013

Wish that the application I filled out for the existing job never took place. I would rather clean up dog poop from peoples yards then deal with the back stabbers coming from all corners at work.

by Anonymousreply 408/01/2013

Also consider possible auto repairs/maintenance.

by Anonymousreply 508/02/2013

Cobra tends to be insanely expensive.

If your profession requires continuing education credits, get them out of the way first.

by Anonymousreply 608/02/2013

I want to leave my job too. I have a fantastic plan which will require me to re-train but right now I just don't have the money to cover the cost of the re-training plus live and cover day to day expenses whilst I re-train.

I have decided to keep looking for another suitable job, whilst saving as hard as I can to put my plan into action. I figure that I will have to stick at this job and save for at least a year to get out of here.

I am serious about saving and have already drawn up a plan to reduce my weekly budget and monthly out going to maximise my savings, but I refuse to lose my gym membership. It will be hard but worth it.

by Anonymousreply 708/02/2013

Yes, COBRA was fine while my former employer was subsidizing it. When that stopped, the monthly payment doubled. Everyone told me to ride it out even then and not switch to individual health insurance, but I think I should have gone to individual sooner rather than later, because the payment was half the un-subsidized COBRA payment. The coverage was, of course, inferior, but I could have used the cash and taken my chances.

BTW, from start to offer-accepted took 4 months (Jan-Apr) of daily searching and constant applications to jobs that I could do with my eyes closed, in my field, with all the Required skills, with > 10 years of experience. Yes, I could have continued taking contract spots sooner, but I wanted to get out of that.

by Anonymousreply 808/02/2013

Consider your age.

If you have worked for the same company for the past 10 years, you have no idea what it's like out there right now. If you are anything over 40, nobody wants you since they can find a 20 something who will work longer, cheaper and harder than you.

If you are still in your 30s, if you are going to jump, this would be the time to do it if any although it's still risky.

by Anonymousreply 908/02/2013

A lot of employers right now are really taking advantage of the recession. They are employing new workers but on zero contract hours which means they don't have to pay them holiday or sick pay and these new workers have to jump through hoops.

I have seen a major decline in workers quality of life in the working environment in the last 5 years and I fear it will only get worse.

by Anonymousreply 1008/02/2013

Have your annual dental check-up before you quit. You don't want to blow your savings on any major dental repairs later.

by Anonymousreply 1108/02/2013

Unfortunately, r7, r8, and r9 are exactly correct. I'm experiencing it now. I'm educated well past my masters in my field and may have to switch out entirely. It's one hell of a fucking setup for a midlife crisis, I can tell you that!

by Anonymousreply 1208/02/2013

R9, you're right, age probably will be an issue.

I'm doing it anyway. If I'm 49 now, how much harder will it be when I'm 53?

My best bet is to do what I've gotta do as soon as I can. I'm extremely well networked, and people have already been calling me for freelance/moonlighting.

by Anonymousreply 1308/02/2013

r13, it gets much, much harder once you cross over 50.

I was in my late 40s when I got pushed out the door along with everybody I worked with who was in their 40s or higher. We were viewed as being too expensive and too old. I spent over 3 years out of work.

I've always kept up on my skills. Went back to school a few years back and got a certification in web development. I was doing web development and social media for one of the large cell phone companies. My resume reads a lot younger than I am, based on what I've been doing in the last decade.

When I was out of work and interviewing, I lost track of the number of times I walked into an interview and immediately felt like I was being dismissed because of my age.

I landed a job at a start up at much less money than I was making previously. Got laid off almost 2 months ago.

If you are being courted by people to freelance, I'd start doing it now before you quit. Work as hard as you can. Build up your bank account. Build your client list and then take the leap.

by Anonymousreply 1408/02/2013

Good luck OP.

How much do you guys think a person would need to have in savings to spend 4 years re-training? I don't have a mortgage but would need to run and maintain a car, I would want to continue to pay my monthly gym membership and my health insurance payments. I would be willing to go without vacations (I am doing anyway in my current job as my boss is an arsehole). Other than that I could limit my social activities. I would also hope to find work at a supermarket or bar or something similar during summer breaks.

by Anonymousreply 1508/02/2013

When I left active duty (Air Force) in 2006, I got a contracting job making twice my military salary. However, I forgot that most of my income had been tax free so I felt significantly poorer as a civilian.

Now I'm at a point where I make more than I would in uniform.

by Anonymousreply 1608/02/2013

If your company has 401(k) profit sharing, try not to quit until after the end of the fiscal year.

Try not to take any money out of your retirement funds until 2014. You don't want to bump up your taxes this year. Wait until next year when things may be tight and you won't have as much income to tax.

by Anonymousreply 1708/02/2013

Isn't the prevailing wisdom in this economy to NOT leave a job without another lined up? Things have improved but the job market is still a nightmare. Hiring managers are wary of anyone with gaps on their résumé and some won't even consider an applicant who isn't currently employed. In terms of your age and ageism in hiring, you should not kid yourself just because you're a hair under 50. Consider 40 the new 50 in this job market. I'm sorry, but in this cold, cruel job market, you're already past your freshness date for some hiring managers.

OP, you sound highly skilled and you consider yourself to be in demand for freelance consulting, but I would caution you to seek out some concrete offers before giving notice at your current job. Your particular experience and position might give you more options than most, but the unemployment rolls are filled with highly skilled, well educated people with decades of experience who have been out of work for years. You might just be adding yourself to their ranks by resigning without another job lined up.

[quote]But if it doesn't, I have to make good on my promise to myself and resign.

I'm sorry, but this sounds impulsive and poorly thought-out. Make resigning a goal, not a promise. Work towards that goal by seeking firm offers in advance of quitting your current job.

by Anonymousreply 1808/02/2013

Fill all of your prescriptions the day before you quit.

I was let go in June and my COBRA coverage is only becoming active now (assuming the insurance person I'm on hold with right now gets the last paperwork straightened out.)

by Anonymousreply 1908/02/2013

In addition to prescriptions and dental care, make an appointment with an optometrist. Make sure all eyewear prescriptions are up to date and you have a good supply of contact lenses if you wear them.

Use up every penny in your FSA if you have one. Most plans allow you to use FSA money for health and pharmacy sundries like aspirin, allergy meds, cold meds, band aids, contact lens solution, even sunscreen. Check your plan and stock up at the drug store if you have unspent money in your FSA, you might be surprised by what you can buy with it.

In general I caution you to watch every penny and look for ways to save money and cut expenses in advance of a potentially lengthy period of un- or under-employment and increased healthcare costs.

by Anonymousreply 2008/02/2013

[quote]If you have worked for the same company for the past 10 years, you have no idea what it's like out there right now. If you are anything over 40, nobody wants you since they can find a 20 something who will work longer, cheaper and harder than you.

Actually, I find this to be the opposite in my office. It's the people in their 40s and 50s who seem to work late or log in after hours to reply to emails, etc. The people in their 20s seem less inclined to work more than their 40 hrs.

Of course, the younger folks are getting paid less, so they still might be cheaper labor.

We've also seen a lot of people taking early retirement, which is encouraged by he company. Only problem is, the historical knowledge and experience that's walking out the door can't be replaced. The brass doesn't care - it doesn't show up in their financial statements - but for those of us left behind, it's a bitch.

Just my experience.

by Anonymousreply 2108/03/2013

If you aren't already being scouted or in demand for other positions outside your company, don't leave your job. Even if you say in interviews you left voluntarily, they'll assume you were fired -- even if your previous boss "promises" to say you left on own terms, you never know what they're really going to say.

You guys who say you have great networks -- you network WHILE you have a job to get a new job. You don't network after quitting your job...no one will really help you if you're unemployed. Even those you thought would. To that guy that said he has a great plan and will need new skills, you get those new skills WHILE you're working and then network out of your job to one that uses these new skills.

No one wants to hire people over 40 right now. This is a very superficial, horrible job market where they expect men to be Ken dolls that can do everything and willing to accept next to nothing in return. Keep your job.

by Anonymousreply 2208/03/2013

DO NOT leave your job.

Once you stop being employed your friends often don't want anything to do with you.

You will be competing for work over the internet with masses of people.

Listen to the advice-givers on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 2308/03/2013

Is this advice mostly meant for the older crowd? I'm 25 and heading out west soon without a job lined up. Granted, I'm willing to sleep on couches and work at Starbucks if need be.

by Anonymousreply 2408/03/2013

At 25 you should be fine.

At 49 and with 10 years at a company, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 2508/03/2013

If you really like the company you work for talk to your manager or HR see if you can work from home or telecommute (if it's the city you hate).

by Anonymousreply 2608/03/2013

Im considering a job offer. Its 2 min from home , great team in place, a friend just got hired, its 15000 less than i make now working with people i dont like.

by Anonymousreply 2708/03/2013

What city do you want to escape from OP? It must be a real drag if you are willing to quit your job just to leave a particular city.

In any event, good luck with your proposal and plans.

by Anonymousreply 2808/03/2013

Best thing I ever did when leaving a job - was to have another job to go to before leaving.

by Anonymousreply 2908/03/2013

[quote]Is this advice mostly meant for the older crowd? I'm 25 and heading out west soon without a job lined up. Granted, I'm willing to sleep on couches and work at Starbucks if need be.

Absolutely much of this advice is meant for guys much older than you. You're still establishing your career so a bit of transience and resume building is expected.

But the general advice of not leaving a job without a job lined up is a good rule to follow. You're young and willing to accept jobs and living situations that older, more experienced people balk at, but if you're successful you too will reach a place where "going backwards" is unacceptable.

Couch surf and sling coffee at 25, but work so that you're not still doing that at 30 or, worse yet, reverting back to that after throwing a good job away at 50. That's why people are cautioning OP so strongly. Reverting to menial work and uncertain living situations at 50 is something nobody wants.

Good luck to you. I hope you do well out west!

by Anonymousreply 3008/03/2013

What's this idea that you have to simply lurve your job and the people who work there? I've hated every job I've ever had, but I show up because I want to eat and have a roof over my head. You suffer all day so you can enjoy your 'free' time.

And I have a creepy feeling that we're on the precipice of another recession. This bubble of summer enthusiasm will pop come fall. Nobody's at the wheel of this leaky ship.

I just got hired at a 2nd job; I'll now be working 3rd shift AND first shift (then sleeping). These are shit $9.00/hr. jobs. but I'm terrified of being suddenly unemployed.

by Anonymousreply 3108/03/2013

Another recession R31. We haven't recovered from the depression we've been in for the past 6-7 years.

by Anonymousreply 3208/03/2013

r32

freeper...

Unemployment is down below 7%, Housing is up, stock market is up, Healthcare is working...quite the depression we have had huh?

by Anonymousreply 3308/03/2013

r33, do you believe everything the people on the TV tell you?

The only reasons the numbers are what they are is because they stop counting you when your unemployment benefits run out and there are millions in the situation right now.

Just because you're a fool, doesn't make me a freeper, asshole.

The rebubs got us into this mess and they're doing everything they can to get the mess going.

by Anonymousreply 3408/04/2013

This fall the stock market is going to crash and you will be caught paying 700 bucks a month for COBRA...and no job.

by Anonymousreply 3508/04/2013

Look at the numbers for people on food stamps if you want a truer picture of just how bad things are.

by Anonymousreply 3608/04/2013

R29 is precisely right. The thing to consider before leaving a job is having another job. Anyone -- particularly people over forty -- is more employable if already employed.

by Anonymousreply 3708/04/2013

Take the pens

by Anonymousreply 3809/07/2013

Eye drops in the coffee pot on my way out the door.

by Anonymousreply 3909/07/2013

Raw fish in the heating ducts.

by Anonymousreply 4009/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.