Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Seeking DL Legal Advice

I was just let go from my job. I got injured on the job and could not perform my duties for months following the injury. I haven't been able to work since April, but I was informed today that my position was being terminated. They are offering a small amount of money for me to sign away my rights, saying that I won't sue them or their parent company for damages.

Technically I was not an employee. I was set up as an independent contractor, 1099, and they hired me on. I paid all my own taxes and health insurance. I worked at this job for eight years and as an independent contractor, they were my only clients. It was a part time job on top of that - 20 hours a week.

The parent company of this particular company is a large corporation. Am I in a position to ask for money money than the 5K some they are offering since I was injured on the job. Or does my 1099 status prevent me from pursuing more? My possible surgery alone would cost more than what they are offering.

by Anonymousreply 608/01/2013

Is there no Workmen's Comp in your state OP?

by Anonymousreply 108/01/2013

Sign nothing.

by Anonymousreply 208/01/2013

OP @ Link...

by Anonymousreply 308/01/2013

I am suffering from a back injury. I believe it is directly related to my work, even though there wasn't one exact incident at work that injured my back. I informed the people that I was working with that I thought my back was injured but they had me continue to work. It was the next day after moving something heavy at work that I suffered a ruptured disc, but I was at home when my back finally gave out. I wonder if this is something that would be covered by worker's comp.

by Anonymousreply 408/01/2013

It depends upon the laws of your state, OP. In my state if you are a contract employee you are considered self-employed - no worker's comp coverage and not eligible for unemployment benefits.

by Anonymousreply 508/01/2013

R5 is right. You might as well call a workers comp plaintiff's attorney in your state. Those types of attorneys always give free consultations. Good luck to you.

by Anonymousreply 608/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.