Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Seeking DL Legal Advice

I was just let go from my job. I got injured on the job and could not perform my duties for months following the injury. I haven't been able to work since April, but I was informed today that my position was being terminated. They are offering a small amount of money for me to sign away my rights, saying that I won't sue them or their parent company for damages.

Technically I was not an employee. I was set up as an independent contractor, 1099, and they hired me on. I paid all my own taxes and health insurance. I worked at this job for eight years and as an independent contractor, they were my only clients. It was a part time job on top of that - 20 hours a week.

The parent company of this particular company is a large corporation. Am I in a position to ask for money money than the 5K some they are offering since I was injured on the job. Or does my 1099 status prevent me from pursuing more? My possible surgery alone would cost more than what they are offering.

by Anonymousreply 608/01/2013

Is there no Workmen's Comp in your state OP?

by Anonymousreply 108/01/2013

Sign nothing.

by Anonymousreply 208/01/2013

OP @ Link...

by Anonymousreply 308/01/2013

I am suffering from a back injury. I believe it is directly related to my work, even though there wasn't one exact incident at work that injured my back. I informed the people that I was working with that I thought my back was injured but they had me continue to work. It was the next day after moving something heavy at work that I suffered a ruptured disc, but I was at home when my back finally gave out. I wonder if this is something that would be covered by worker's comp.

by Anonymousreply 408/01/2013

It depends upon the laws of your state, OP. In my state if you are a contract employee you are considered self-employed - no worker's comp coverage and not eligible for unemployment benefits.

by Anonymousreply 508/01/2013

R5 is right. You might as well call a workers comp plaintiff's attorney in your state. Those types of attorneys always give free consultations. Good luck to you.

by Anonymousreply 608/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!