Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

So you're on a job interview...

and the interview is going well. The last words you hear are if you don't hear by August 9th we have filled the position.

Is that a nice way of saying NOT INTERESTED?

by Anonymousreply 4508/15/2013

Only if you get to August 9th without hearing anything.

by Anonymousreply 108/01/2013

What R1 said.

by Anonymousreply 208/01/2013

Yes--it means we don't have enough class to let you know one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 308/01/2013

Did they specify a year, OP?

by Anonymousreply 408/01/2013

It could just mean that the interviewer has the social skills of a hermit crab.

by Anonymousreply 508/01/2013

"We can't be bothered phoning or e-mailing you. So just suck it up and wait, you loser."

by Anonymousreply 608/02/2013

We like to toy with our victims

by Anonymousreply 708/02/2013

It sounds like it is, OP.

by Anonymousreply 808/02/2013

No. It sounds like they're being more courteous than 99% of the places I interviewed, where you hear nothing at all and you're left wondering.

by Anonymousreply 908/02/2013

Geez, how much does an email cost?

by Anonymousreply 1008/03/2013

I've been out of work for a while now and more often than not I don't get responses.

More recently, I interviewed for one job twice...first w/ HR and then via phone with the hiring manager. The hiring manager told me she had no doubt I could do the job and liked my ideas. She went on to say that the next step in the hiring process would be in-person interviews and she felt confident telling me then that she wanted to meet me and that I would hear from HR.

Over a week went by and I heard nothing. I emailed HR and followed up. NOTHING. Now it's going on two weeks since I had that interview.

I had another interview yesterday and the hiring manager who seemed interested said I would hear from him by today which I thought was rather soon but I thought to myself: "that means he's interested". It's after 5:30 and I've heard nothing.

It's gotten to the point that I don't believe anything anybody tells me anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1108/08/2013

HR people are such insensitive assholes. They've got their jobs, so don't think twice about fucking with people's hopes by making it sound as if they actually have a shot at getting hired.

by Anonymousreply 1208/08/2013

Some hiring managers are assholes too. The ones that cannot be bothered to respond to post-interview email inquiries.

How hard is it to click "respond" and type:

Although your skills were impressive (or not), we went with another candidate. I appreciate your interest in working with us and encourage you to apply in the future (or not).

It's really not that difficult. It's called manners.

by Anonymousreply 1308/08/2013

So true, R13. Well, to all the people job hunting, don't give up hope! You never know when something good may happen.

Six years ago I was job hunting with pretty much no prospects and very little in the bank to keep myself going. Was terrified I was going to have to give up my apartment here in NYC and move back home to Texas (which would have devastated me to no end). Well, one day, just like all other days, I sent off a resume to one of many of the employment agencies here in town, didn't think a lot of it (had never even heard of this particular agency before), and then out of nowhere, I get a phone call from them asking me to come in and fill out an application and take a test. I did and THE NEXT DAY they called me again and sent me to do temp work for a week at a law firm downtown. At the end of that week, the firm offered me a job and now I've been there six and a half years.

Never give up! You never know when your day is coming.

by Anonymousreply 1408/08/2013

Ready for a laugh? I've been so desperate for a job that I applied for a minimum wage job at a grocery store. I interviewed with them two weeks ago, and the day I interviewed, I had to do a drug test (those cotton swab ones) and consent to a background check (I don't do drugs and don't have a record). A week later, they tell me that they need my former last name to complete the background check. So now another week has gone by, and the background check STILL isn't finished (even though they won't find anything).

This is just fucking ridiculous. All this drama for a fucking minimum wage job that's basically for a teenager? I'm to the point I don't even really care anymore about the job.

by Anonymousreply 1508/08/2013

Glad you can laugh about it, R15. I'd be annoyed. Hell, I am annoyed and it's not even me. I'm so over being out of a job sometimes I think killing myself might be the ultimate end to this madness.

Have you tried registering with any temp agencies, R15? Not ideal work but it's better than minimum wage.

by Anonymousreply 1608/08/2013

They way these people behave is morally wrong. It's pretty sadistic. Don't let them get to you. They're sickos.

by Anonymousreply 1708/08/2013

R16 I've been out of work for years, and from what I read in another thread on here, temp agencies won't hire people who have been out of work for more than 6 months, so I haven't bothered registering.

by Anonymousreply 1808/08/2013

I wouldn't accept that as fact, R18. It's one person on a message board's opinion and isn't a blanket statement that includes every temp agency in the country.

Doubtful that temp agencies are alienating qualified epeople for being unemployed in this economy.

by Anonymousreply 1908/08/2013

Ooooh...... it's almost the 9th! You can just cut the tension with a knife!!

HR people suck old man balls in nursing homes.

by Anonymousreply 2008/08/2013

I am out of work now for 22 months. I have applied for jobs where I would make one/fifth of my prior salary. I do not care if I do not get notified when I do not succeed in an interview; it is what it is.

Please don't get bitter, because it is readily apparent to all when you interview. Remember it is the first time you are meeting them.

I just had an interview on Tuesday and the HR rep, who was around my age, said (after being interviewed - and tested for 2 hours)- you will here from me in the next few days about whether ou will come back for a return interview with the company President and the head sales guy.

For a junior sales position.

He said, but your former salary is an issue - (I made $150,000) - I replied :

"The number that needs to be focused on is ZERO, because that is what I am earning now. What is past, is past and it that salary will not be returning because the amount of financial service jobs in NYC has only decreased; the amount of companies (banks) that exist now, due to mergers, etc. is much smaller."

What more can I say?

by Anonymousreply 2108/08/2013

Sorry, R21, I feel your pain.

I was reading about the 'unemployables' that are casualties from this latest recession, and I fit too many of the criteria.

It's been over 2 years here. I don't know what to do. I'm at the end of my rope, and I don't have family to turn to.

The article I was reading said that a record number are desperately trying to get on disability because they don't know what else to do besides live on the streets or curl up and die.

I will have to make that decision at the end of this month if I don't find something. How much hope am I supposed to muster at this point, after 24+ months of trying and failing to find ANYTHING at all?

by Anonymousreply 2208/08/2013

Oops, here = hear.

Thanks R22.

I turn 49 in about 3 weeks; it does not bode well for my chances. Did you read that article - buried in a Saturday NY Times - about being 50 and not just unemployed but essentially unemployable. It received THOUSANDS of comments.

by Anonymousreply 2308/08/2013

I joined a networking group and I suggest others who are out of work do the same.

Within the firs month, I got one lead that has resulted in a offer to work as an indie contractor. It's not exactly what I want to do but it is something to keep me afloat and to keep my resume current.

by Anonymousreply 2408/09/2013

It is a lot better than them saying we will call you either way.

And they never do.

by Anonymousreply 2508/09/2013

HR often does the screening, but its the Managers and Directors who do the interviewing and their social skills aren't always particularly well adapted for interviewing.

by Anonymousreply 2608/09/2013

It's gotten so that basic courtesy is a rarity. I reached out to the two runners-up for a job search some years ago, to let them know we'd chosen another candidate. Not a happy call to make, but I thought they deserved a thanks for coming that far in the process.

Two years later, I meet runner up #1 at a conference and she is doing great, she says "I still remember how nice you were throughout the interview process" and I tell her, as luck would have it, we have a new opening... long story short she took a lateral move to come and work for me just because we demonstrated a decent/human culture where most workplaces no longer do.

Karma is not the primary reason that people should be courteous, but it can sometimes be a rewarding side effect.

by Anonymousreply 2708/09/2013

I completely agree R27

But people are not like that anymore.

To say you are going to call either way, and then not call hurts ALOT MORE than getting a reject call.

by Anonymousreply 2808/09/2013

Well, yeah. I agree R28. At least a reject call gives you closure and it displays courtesy on the part of the hiring organization.

I have had a couple of interactions with hiring managers/recruiters that were positive. I didn't get the job but they told me why and kept me informed and it was impossible to feel bitter for not getting the job.

Then I've had interactions with people who really led me to believe I was a frontrunner and then it went black and I never heard back. So rude.

But, I encourage you to use Glassdoor. There is a section to submit interview experience with companies and whether it was positive or negative experience. It's a good place to expose the rude HR/Hiring Managers within the company. Perhaps the powers that be will see these reviews on Glassdoor and demand that they show a little manners when relating to job seekers.

by Anonymousreply 2908/09/2013

I can sympathize with those of you who are older and are suffering long-term unemployment. I was out of work for almost three years. My unemployment had petered out after a year and a half and I was existing on savings. I was down to my last $1000 having exhausted savings and IRAs, etc. I applied to a small law firm as a legal secretary for a salary that was half of what I was earning at my last job (I was the exec assistant to the president of a mega corporation).

I had very little law experience but I do have a very dear friend who is a solo practitioner. He allowed me to say I had been working for him and he gave me a glowing recommendation. I landed the job.

Before that, I was so depressed that I was even considering ending my life. My apartment was a shambles due to my severe depression so I was in trouble with the landlord. A lot of good people helped me out and I will be forever grateful.

If you don't want to put down that you were unemployed, put down that you were doing temp work. If they ask you the agencies, tell them that you were registered at a few but you got your work through Craigslist. If they want references, tell them that you will speak with the people you worked for and see if they would be willing to give you a reference. Then, find someone who is willing to say that you helped out on an independent project, if you are not as lucky as I am to have someone who has an actual business and is willing to say you were an independent contractor for them.

Good luck to you, and don't give up.

by Anonymousreply 3008/09/2013

Everything these days is moving towards 39 hour a week jobs that avoid making you full time to avoid giving you benefits or making you a permanent temporary employee or independent contractor.

by Anonymousreply 3108/09/2013

OP, it's not necessarily so (but probably is). It could be that they are interviewing several people and it's not even up to the person who interviewed you to make the final decision.

However, they are definitely telling you NOT to contact them. At least they've given you a date and then you'll know and can move on.

by Anonymousreply 3208/09/2013

Has OP heard anything? Today's the 9th.

by Anonymousreply 3308/09/2013

[quote]"The number that needs to be focused on is ZERO, because that is what I am earning now."

Great answer.

by Anonymousreply 3408/09/2013

R33, it's early yet. OP doesn't really have to start worrying until 11:00 EST.

by Anonymousreply 3508/09/2013

It's 11:03!

by Anonymousreply 3608/09/2013

Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser does wonders cleaning up when

by Anonymousreply 3708/09/2013

I've interviewed and hired hundreds of people in my lifetime OP. I can tell within the first minute if the applicant is someone I am interested in. The line that they have you is fairly standard. They may like you for the position but want to keep their options open in case someone better comes along. Just hang tight; if you are not their first choice, that person may ultimately drop out.

Good luck and keep smiling. Interviewers can smell defeat from a mile away.

by Anonymousreply 3808/09/2013

R38 has teeth in her vagina.

by Anonymousreply 3908/09/2013

I don't know how the OP did with his interview, but at 1pm today I got my rejection email from the company. At least I got a response, though it was the one I did not want.

by Anonymousreply 4008/09/2013

I hope OP is pleasantly surprised.

by Anonymousreply 4108/09/2013

I have a third interview with a company coming up. It's with senior management. This is the farthest I've come along in all the time I've been out of a job (well over a year).

Generally, what should I expect in a third interview? Clearly, I'm a top contender. What kinds of questions should I expect?

by Anonymousreply 4208/15/2013

Female here (don't hold it against me, please; am a VERY supportive hag.)

To the posters talking about things being so bad that people are trying to get on disability:

I sincerely hope you all believe me that I DIDN't try - perhaps a combo of bad luck/good luck (the latter meaning I at least have an income). Long story short: legal assistant, 7 yrs NYC; 20 yrs SF; about 10 years ago, a combo of my aunt dying (parents dead over 20 years - andyes, I'm old (50+) and a leg/sores/skin/circulation condition that I stubbornly ( and VERY stupidly) refused to treat properly, started a downhill road: took tim off with tiny inheritance $70K) when aunt died); enjoyned not working, did acting and voice coaching, etc., etc.

Then health and depression got worse; ran almost out of money; got temp work fairly easily (this was back in 2006), got a hideous full-time job (but for $3K more than last job - law used to be good $deal); started calling sick, got terminated (but they nicely agreed not to contest my Unemply.)

Lost apt (3-bedroom flat, $1400) from best friend (tenant) being understandly annoyed at HIDEOUS HIDEOUS Messes (don't want to even say here; that bad);he asked me to live with him insuburbs; fought constantly; took me to a fleabag in the Tenderloin; unemployment (before extensions right then) ready to run out; had like $50, but forbade him to call my brother;

Called my brother (THIS IS TOO LONG, I'm sorry!!!); sent me money for bus; I came back (East); applied for welfare; social worker thought I "looked" disabled:ANYway:

Took 6 months; was awarded disability the first time out, which -I had always heard, and umpteen lawyer commercials will bear out - is VERY unusual (I asked my brother, how come I got disability in onlhy 6 months?; he said, well very few other people have fucked up that big, hee-hee!)

ANYway (again, aplogize for length): after over 30 years working (did I say I'm 50? should have said almost 60!), I get (slight increases in the past few years) from 2009 to now: $1972 gross a month. $105 comes out for Medicare.

Mental disability. My niece, 30 years younger: same thing (combo SSI and SDI). Four years ago, she said that a lot of people were trying to get disability (perhaps she read somewhere?)

BUt I"ll tell you: back in seniorn/disabled housing in the hideous small town where I went to high school and NEVER EVER wanted to return: I am about 25% happy I have money and 75% unhappy I'm not working.

But those %%s are only when I'm feeling sorry for myself, missing my life (and my boys!!!!) in SF. The rest of the time, I feel guilty for those of you and friends and acquaintances of mine who either have looked, hard for jobs and taken cuts or have their same jobs but workload has WAY increased.

I was originally diagnosed (08) depressed; RE-diagnosed - to my surprise - as Bipolar II ('11.) Gee, all this time, I just thought I talked too much, hee-hee!

So, give it a try- again, happened accidentally to me, but I am happy to hear people are actually trying to get on disability BECAUSE (yes, taxpayers' money, which both above-mentioned best friend and brother remind me!!) but bad as things have gotten in this country: I would pleasantly suggest it is NOT the fault of the average hard-working person, so: GO FOR IT! Disability is (largely) for life, unlike unemployment.

(Apologixe for running off at the mouth - but hey, maybe some of you can do "an impression" of me for a shrink; help you get on SSD!

by Anonymousreply 4308/15/2013

R30, an excellent post! Everything you said is great advice; I will cheerfully admit I did some of this myself a number of years ago (when was a legal secretary.) Excellent; hope people following your suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 4408/15/2013

R18, I think R19 is right - this unfortunate current "wisdom" may well hold for agencies placing people on "Permanent" positions but temp assignments - agencies or direct (you see a lot of "temp" stuff on CL these days - that doesn't make much sense, unless company is maybe specifically hiring temp-to-perm? Believe me, I've worked a TON of temp, and usually employers and co-workers put us in a different, "flaky" category and know there are a lot of temps whose "real" "calling" is theater, or whatever.

But I'm going back 6-10 years; I realize things are a lot different now.

by Anonymousreply 4508/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!