Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Best trailer of the year. Ben Stiller stars and directs and it was just chosen for The New York Film Festival.

P.S. I'm no ta shill, publicist or anyway affiliated with this film. I just think it's a kick ass trailer and now I'm off to see what that song is.

by Anonymousreply 7202/06/2014

Another remake of a classic. Yawn. And Ben Stiller makes me doubly less interested.

by Anonymousreply 108/01/2013

That was terrible and OP is a shill, even if he's not paid. F&F.

by Anonymousreply 208/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 308/01/2013

Is there a big part for me in it?

by Anonymousreply 408/01/2013

Absolutely no one but YOU remembers the first one. Hardly a classic.

by Anonymousreply 508/01/2013

Was Steve Carrell not available?

Or did Jim Carey pass on this?

by Anonymousreply 608/01/2013

Just what the world needs, another lame remake of a classic movie. God, I'm sick of shitty remakes and sequels.

by Anonymousreply 708/01/2013

Song: Dirty Paws - Of Monsters and Men

by Anonymousreply 808/01/2013

Funny, you sound like a shill. Is that what you were going for, and did you think by saying you weren't it would make up for it?

by Anonymousreply 908/01/2013

R5, I have watched the original Danny Kaye vehicle on TCM and I enjoyed the film. I don't think BS will improve upon the original.

by Anonymousreply 1008/01/2013

Enough of these fucking predictable shill accusations. The trailer looks good, great cinematography. I wish there was a bit of Shirley MacLaine in it, though.

by Anonymousreply 1108/01/2013

In what world is Danny Kaye's SLOWM a classic?

The Thurber story, not the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1208/01/2013

It looks like it has great cinematography, that's about it though.

by Anonymousreply 1308/01/2013

No R12 it IS a classic!

by Anonymousreply 1408/01/2013

Actually it's not so much that it's a classic, but I've often heard Walter Mitty being mentioned as a comparison.. it's a cultural reference.

Maybe the old film wasn't notable and hasn't been heard of much, but even if for once it was something ripe for a new version I could do without it being Stiller.

by Anonymousreply 1508/01/2013

[quote]Funny, you sound like a shill. Is that what you were going for, and did you think by saying you weren't it would make up for it?

Actually, I've been here long enough to know this place is full of unhappy people that see no enjoyment in anything and the moment someone starts a thread to share something they enjoy, the cries for shills and publicists begin. Just that simple. Hell, I'm not even a Ben Stiller fan, I don't really have an opinion of him and have never "gone to a Ben Stiller" movie but I will this. I think this is the best trailer since Tim Burton's "Big Fish".

by Anonymousreply 1608/01/2013

That trailer looked like an Ingmar Bergman film.

What a hoot!

by Anonymousreply 1708/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 1808/01/2013

No, "Secret Life of Walter Mitty" has a couple of cute numbers but overall I wouldn't call it a great picture. I prefer "Wonder Man."

by Anonymousreply 1908/01/2013

You lost me at "Ben Stiller".

by Anonymousreply 2008/01/2013

The trailer looks amazing. Actually among the best I have seen in a long time.

They had screenings of footage from the movie some months ago and this movie is getting a lot of buzz from the people who saw it. Yeah, very impressive trailer! Stiller is a great director, when he can work from a great idea and script. Tropic Thunder was super funny and a very clever and subversive comedy.

by Anonymousreply 2108/01/2013

Walter Shilly at R21

by Anonymousreply 2208/01/2013

Subversive? To whom? Other actors? Naughty words from chorus boys?

OH, really bucking that Hollywood system...

by Anonymousreply 2308/01/2013

Oh please, only a flyover idiot would regard the original as a classic.

by Anonymousreply 2408/01/2013

I'm not familiar with this story. Is there a lot of shirtlessness in it?

by Anonymousreply 2508/01/2013

Stiller looks bony, skinnier than he has ever been before. Has he been ill?

by Anonymousreply 2608/01/2013

R21 R22

I doubt none of you saw either the movie nor the trailer.

Bitter, joyless hateful people.

by Anonymousreply 2708/01/2013

[quote]Has he been ill?

Probably not... just a combo of Hollywood narcissism and being Jerry Stiller's son.

He was cute years ago, but the subsequent years have not been kind to him.

by Anonymousreply 2808/01/2013

Dear Shilly @ 27,

Please get my number right.

by Anonymousreply 2908/01/2013

I think the look is what his character (when he lives in his miserable mundane world he tries to escape from with daydreaming) in the movie calls for.

by Anonymousreply 3008/01/2013

Well you are good with numbers, I give you that!

by Anonymousreply 3108/01/2013

Is this the one with the illustration of the naked guy on his stomach supporting his weight with his penis?

by Anonymousreply 3208/01/2013

Don't care for Stiller but have to agree this trailer looks awesome. So much better than the Scorsese rip-off from DO Russell yesterday.

If a trailer is enough to lure one to see a movie, this does the job.

by Anonymousreply 3308/01/2013

For fuck's sake, why do people take it so damn personal when someone doesn't like the same things?

by Anonymousreply 3408/01/2013

This is biting The Truman Show, and has a specious "choose your life" Goopy thrust. This is Oscar chum

by Anonymousreply 3508/01/2013

I prefer this version.

by Anonymousreply 3608/01/2013

The trailer and surely the movie is a wonderful commercial for LIFE magazine, more than likely at some point hitting the audience over the head, and probably over and over, with its obvious symbolism.

The movie is sure to be a lesson to us on how to live our LIFE to the fullest, and being a Stiller production OTT maudlin, preachy and over-sentimental with light comedy sprinkled throughout to keep the audience from giving up.

The fraus are going to freakin love it.

by Anonymousreply 3708/01/2013

"it's a cultural reference."

Because of THURBER, not Danny Kay, you twit.

by Anonymousreply 3808/02/2013

The "You're a shill!" trolls are some of the most noxious and obnoxious trolls on the forum, second only to the racist/misogynist/homophobic assholes.

by Anonymousreply 3908/02/2013

It's a remake and remakes invariably turn out to be shitty.

by Anonymousreply 4008/02/2013

What is a shill?

by Anonymousreply 4108/02/2013

Thurber is pretty much unknown these days, so I suspect more people have heard of the Danny Kaye movie than Thuber's story.

by Anonymousreply 4208/02/2013

[quote]What is a shill?

Someone who is paid to go on social media and promote a project or person.

[quote]It's a remake and remakes invariably turn out to be shitty.

I think the first one was a slapstick musical. This is not.

by Anonymousreply 4308/02/2013

Ben Stiller?

No. Just no.

There is no good reason to support anything that raging cunt does.

by Anonymousreply 4408/02/2013

this movie has been filming and RE filming for a couple years...can't believe it's finally finished!

by Anonymousreply 4508/02/2013

What is it about Ben Stiller that is just so unappealing? He's so unsympathetic as... every character he's ever played. It was weird listening to Marc Maron's WTF podcast with Stiller to hear how completely in awe of him Marc was.

by Anonymousreply 4608/02/2013

Stiller's daddy is SOOO much more talented than he is.

by Anonymousreply 4708/02/2013

They were shooting retakes on this at the Time/Life Building as late as July 4th weekend.

by Anonymousreply 4808/02/2013

I watched the trailer, liked what I saw and plan to see it.

Anyone who works in a cube will "get" this movie.

As far as it being a remake, I would imagine most people haven't seen and probably haven't even heard of the original.

by Anonymousreply 4908/02/2013

Not only was it a book and a movie, it was a MUSICAL!

by Anonymousreply 5008/02/2013

Looks amazing!!

by Anonymousreply 5108/04/2013

[quote]They were shooting retakes on this at the Time/Life Building as late as July 4th weekend.

Did you alert the media that "The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty" is the first movie in history to reshoot SIX months before opening?

by Anonymousreply 5208/04/2013

The trailer looks good but that doesn't mean anything. Stiller does smarmy and exasperated really well but he hasn't generated sympathy onscreen since FLIRTING WITH DISASTER. He should have put someone else in the lead.

by Anonymousreply 5308/04/2013

I've listened to Howard Stern interview him, and Stiller comes off as an intelligent, likeable guy.

by Anonymousreply 5408/04/2013

I've read Thurber, but never saw the movie, nor any of the tv shows, which, IIRC starred Walter Matheau. I don't think of any of the versions as classics. Just because something has been done before and is somewhat known, it doesn't mean it's a classic! And I'm not much of a Stillers or Wiig fan. That said, I think the trailer looks good. If nothing else, the cinematography looks appealing enough to watch for 90 minutes. Let's reserve judgement until we actually see the movie, huh?

by Anonymousreply 5508/04/2013

Has anyone seen this yet? I think it look good. About a week ago I saw the longest trailer (for this) I've ever seen in my life.

by Anonymousreply 5612/17/2013

I thought the trailer sucked but I'm not in the US, so perhaps I've seen a different one. I have no interest in seeing the movie.

by Anonymousreply 5712/17/2013

35% and dropping on Rotten Tomatoes. Not even the shill OP can help this mess succeed.

by Anonymousreply 5812/17/2013

Since when are Rotten Tomatoes ratings an indicator of the quality or the lack of it in a movie!

by Anonymousreply 5912/17/2013

It's such a masterpiece it's received how many SAG and Golden Globe nominations again? Stop trying to make this ,ovie happen.

by Anonymousreply 6012/17/2013

[quote] Stop trying to make this ,ovie happen

I bumped this thread and all I said was 'Has anyone seen this yet? I think it look(s) good. '

& I'm accused of 'trying to make this movie happen'?

by Anonymousreply 6112/17/2013

But, yes, it's true, the reviews sound awful:

[quote] Who would have predicted that the rich fantasy world of James Thurber's day-dreaming Walter Mitty looks a lot like a second-rate Wes Anderson movie?

[quote]The harshest thing I can say about the film is that it's boring

Oh, well..

by Anonymousreply 6212/17/2013

Not only was it a MUSICAL, but its cast included DL fave Rue McClanahan!

by Anonymousreply 6312/17/2013

Unfortunately the movie just leaves me with a shrug. It lacks focus and bite and above all great actors. Stiller fails to instill Walter with any sense of excitement or personality. He has never been a really great actor but here it seems he has no idea what to do to bring Walter Mitty to life. Sean Penn was actually the only actor who was able to draw me into the story. Pretty much ever other actor was terrible and un-engaging. Cinematography was great but beautiful pictures alone don't make a movie. Sad really, this could have been great but it just wasn't!

by Anonymousreply 6412/26/2013

Ben Stiller. No. Just no.

by Anonymousreply 6512/26/2013

A movie for people who think Forrest Gump is art.

by Anonymousreply 6601/05/2014

As on reviewer stated "Ben Stiller is an acquired taste.

by Anonymousreply 6701/05/2014

I wouldn't be opposed to watching this except I find Ben Stiller so revolting, so nah.

by Anonymousreply 6801/05/2014

If they followed the Danny Kay version, it would of been much better. I could see Stiller as the gunfighter, air ace, doctor... it could of been hilarious.

It comes off as in incredibly morose, drab movie with cool effects.

Oh and that song? It's heard every hour at any big box store.

by Anonymousreply 6901/05/2014

I'm just stunned anyone found the trailer good. It was such a turn-off to me. Just more proof that if one person doesn't like something, they probably weren't the intended demographic; somewhere, someone is loving it.

by Anonymousreply 7002/05/2014

I saw it because the trailer looked really interesting, but the movie was just so painfully lame.

by Anonymousreply 7102/06/2014

The movie was in trouble the minute they cast Kristin Wiig as a LOVE INTEREST with no comedy. BIG MISTAKE and a waste of her talents.

by Anonymousreply 7202/06/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!