Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Questions regarding Leah Remini's leaving Scientology

I'm confused about Leah Remini leaving Scientology.

I know basically nothing about Scientology, and I haven't read a whole lot on this story, so please excuse me if these questions are dumb.

As I understand it these are the reasons she left Scientology:

1. She (Leah Remini) got in all kinds of shit with Scientology because she asked where the diminutive dictator's wife was? (who has not been seen for several years, and may have left/disappeared under strange circumstances, correct?)

2. She (Leah Remini) also got in a LOT of trouble for switching place cards, or just wanting to switch place cards, at the Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes wedding so she could sit next to a close friend?

These incidents seem like complete non-incidents to me. Why are these things considered so very wrong by the 'church'?

Why would she be ostracized for these things?

Is there more to the story than this? I mean did she do other things against the teachings and/or rules of the Scientology church?

When she was subjected to intensive interrogation by the Scientologists was it just over the two things I mentioned? If so, why? Neither seem to be anything of any great importance.

What kind of questions might have been asked of her during that interrogation? "Why did you want to sit with your friend?" "Why would you ask where the disappeared wife of Fearless Leader was?"

Scientology members are encouraged to write up 'tattle reports' on other members, including their family and closest friends, for breaking the smallest of rules or asking the wrong questions? If this true, why do they (Scientologists)  want their members doing this?

What kind of punishment was she (Leah Remini) threatened with?

Are there other reasons that she left Scientology?

Thanks for any help with these questions. Like I said, I know they're probably pretty dumb, but I'm baffled by this whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 1605/31/2015

I don't have any answers,but I'm bumping this because they are good questions and I'm interested in what the answers will be.

The more I read about them (CO$) the less they seem like a religious group and more like a complete mind fuck for people who got sucked into the cult

by Anonymousreply 108/01/2013

Thanks R1. You're right, Scientology seems like a complete mind fuck

by Anonymousreply 208/01/2013

But who could possibly get sucked into this shit?

It seems like it has nothing to offer anyone in terms of peace of mind or even orgies. At least some cults have free love and accept homosexuality.

This shit is puritanical and snoopy.

It's also costly.

So, what are they telling people to inflate their egos so much that they will join?

by Anonymousreply 308/01/2013

There were probably more reasons than that. According to Paul Haggis, she also got in trouble because she refused to disconnect from him after he publicly left Scientology.

by Anonymousreply 408/01/2013

OP, Many cults expect unquestioning obedience, because the leader is a power hungry despot, and can't handle any possible challenges. Remini dared to publicly object to a superior's decisions. It doesn't matter if they were minor points or not. Please read 1984 or Animal Farm for more examples of total thought control.

R3, Scienos are the ultimate salespeople, convincing you that they can solve any problem, make any dream happen. Auditing involves getting repeated electrical charges to the brain's pleasure center. Knowing the addictive power, especially for former drug users, Miscabbage upped the voltage. It's one of the reasons many Scienos die of cancer relatively early.

by Anonymousreply 508/01/2013

did u see her comment on d wts?

by Anonymousreply 609/29/2013

Several times she took a dump in the ladies' room at the Celebrity Center and left without flushing.

by Anonymousreply 709/29/2013

OP - Search for the "Reading Going Clear" threads. There are two. A lot of answers in them.

by Anonymousreply 809/29/2013

The Cliff's notes version is that yes, those are the two things she got in trouble for. In the Co$ you do not question anything, let alone remit some remark that might cast aspersions on David Miscavige (who is a lunatic). Shelly, his wife, is a very sore subject for both the church and Miscavige. He doesn't want anyone knowing what happened to her, but by the same token, he doesn't want anyone thinking it's weird that she's disappeared either!

As for asking to sit near Jennifer Lopez, I can only assume that it caused a furor because she probably asked after she asked about Shelly. Also, I believe she was only OT 5, so maybe again it's the rank thing. SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE RANK TO CHANGE SEATS! Scientologists are big on rank and file.

During a sec check, you're asked about your "overts." Since Lea directly invoked the wife of David Miscavige, you can bet that the majority of questions were about what awful, horrible thoughts she was harboring towards him. What "crimes" she has committed towards Miscavige in this life or previous ones. Basically they ask you the same questions over and over and over until you confess something. A lot of the time, people just make shit up so they can get the fuck out of there.

Oh, and they make you pay thousands of dollars for this charming privilege.

As for why family members would bring other family members into a cult, well, it's a cult. They break down your rational patterns of thought and isolate you from the rest of the normal world. No one involved is thinking clearly.

Yes, there are other reasons why she left. She's known that things were fucked for awhile. She and her sister were in the Sea Org as teenagers, so she knew how awful it was and how Sea Org staff are treated like slaves. She doesn't agree with disconnection or the breaking up of families. And since she supported Paul Haggis when he left, I bet she doesn't agree with the Church's stance on gay rights either.

But I think the driving force behind her decision was the realization that David Miscavige is a full blown sociopath. Can you imagine asking the husband of a friend where she is and being told you don't have the right to inquire about her well being? After the wedding, she kept asking. For her phone number, to send her Christmas gifts, etc. She asked for six freaking years, and this man wouldn't even allow her to send a letter. Yeah, that's not suspicious or batshit crazy at all.

by Anonymousreply 909/29/2013

so where the fuck IS the lady? is she dead? cant someone file a missing persons report?

by Anonymousreply 1009/29/2013

R10, Lea did file a missing persons report. The LAPD closed it because they claim Shelly is fine and that they "made contact" with her. Note, they didn't say they actually saw her.

Most people believe she is still alive and being held at a secret base near Lake Arrowhead. She reportedly has a minder and a personal sec-checker assigned to monitor her at all times.

I think the best summary of where Shelly is and how she got there has been written by Claire Headley, who is an ex-Scientologist and who also worked very closely with her at one time.

by Anonymousreply 1109/29/2013

On the ex-scieno blogs, they are saying that obviously David Miscavige himself wrote that nasty statement about her being "self-absorbed."

"The negative press just keeps coming. props to Leah for 'putting her money where her mouth is.' I have a feeling she is just getting warmed up. That snarky attack from the church was from someone that has no idea how others think. [Miscavige] must not be listening to his high priced PR firm, Sitrick – as no way was advised to respond like that."

by Anonymousreply 1209/29/2013

"Leah Remini's Scientology Tell-All: Why She Left"

by Anonymousreply 1302/28/2014

^ ^ ...And the full interview from which above Yahoo! article is taken...

by Anonymousreply 1402/28/2014

[quote]"Given Leah Remini's insatiable desire for attention, it comes as no surprise that for two years she has been incapable of moving on with her life and remains obsessed with shamelessly exploiting her former religion in a pathetic attempt to get publicity," a spokesperson for the church tells Us Weekly in a statement.

by Anonymousreply 1505/31/2015

R15 What "religion" makes statements like that? If they were smart (which they clearly aren't), they would simply say they're sorry things didn't work out and wish her well with whatever she does in the future.

by Anonymousreply 1605/31/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!