Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Into The Woods"

I have never seen, nor really heard of this musical before. I know it's going to be a big film. I also know that people think it's going to be horrible. I wondering why people think that? Is it because of the director, or because they don't think it'll translate well to the big screen. It has a great cast attached to it. Even that won't save it?

I just read that Tracey Ullman was cast as Jack's mother. Is that a big part? Does she have a song?

TIA.

by Anonymousreply 8909/18/2013

the director, Meryl is too old, show never really works in the second act, no song for Ullman

by Anonymousreply 108/01/2013

If Ullman's part small?

Is it horrible that I'm still mildly interested in this? Why is it going to take it so long to come out? I think it comes out December 2014. They start filming next week. It was in the Hollywood Reporter I think.

by Anonymousreply 208/01/2013

"Is it horrible that I" is invariably disingenuous.

by Anonymousreply 308/01/2013

it is a small role but it gets a lot of laughes....I fear Ullman will overdo it though....

by Anonymousreply 408/01/2013

They're interpolating "They Don't Know" for her.

by Anonymousreply 508/01/2013

Sondheim himself doesn't think musical theatre works on film. He's lukewarm about 'West Side Story', and was supportively polite about 'Sweeney Todd.'

Still, ITW will expose his genius to a wider audience, again. I hope it's at least as good as 'Sweeney.'

by Anonymousreply 608/01/2013

Jack's mother does have a song...

by Anonymousreply 708/01/2013

The show hilarious and touching and wise and profound.

Having said that, Meryl is way too old, Depp can't sing and the show is three hours long. What'll they cut? Hopefully it'll still be somewhat comprehensible (which is a challenge given the source material) once they're done cutting.

by Anonymousreply 808/01/2013

James Corden's casting worries me - it smells of flop based on this.

It's a great show, and the second act is the enitre point of it. Post-Shrek/Hoodwink'd/Mirror Mirror etc etc I fear it could go too Disney or try cram in pop-culture references and the three little pigs turning up to say "Helllll no!"

by Anonymousreply 908/01/2013

The play will work, because it is excellent. Once again, I'd rather they cast skilled singing actors than movie stars. Beautiful music, which I hope stays intact and not transposed.

by Anonymousreply 1008/01/2013

[quote]Sondheim himself doesn't think musical theatre works on film. He's lukewarm about 'West Side Story', and was supportively polite about 'Sweeney Todd.'

A convenient thing to say when no one wants to make movies of your shows.

[quote]The show hilarious and touching and wise and profound. Having said that, Meryl is way too old, Depp can't sing and the show is three hours long.

Profound? Hardly. You do realize that it's not a documentary, right? They can make Meryl any age they want with movie magic. And Depp can sing enough to cover the songs, he doesn't get either of two decent ones of the score, the rest is filler, as opposed to "NINE" which doesn't have one good song at all. But Sonheimites insist every production sound exactly like the original cast albums they have worshiped for decades. So you would think they'd be grateful after twenty five years anyone would be interested in filming it, they'll bitch how it's not as good as the original, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1108/01/2013

[quote]They can make Meryl any age they want with movie magic.

hee hee that made my day!!!

by Anonymousreply 1208/01/2013

Love this show, love the entire score, can't wait for the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1308/01/2013

It's pretty shameful, OP, that you don't know the OBCR inside and out (and that goes for all of Sondheim's shows too). How you function everyday amazes me. Stop whatever you're doing, go on amazon and purchase the recording.

R9, James Corden is great casting. Didn't you find him to be awesome in One Man, Two Guvnors? I think what he brought to that part will work well as the baker. Certainly it will be better than what Denis O'Hare did (love the man, but come on!), and unfortunately that is the performance that is freshest in our minds.

Hearing news that they have already cut "Giants in the Sky" and some other things great disheartens me, but cuts are inevitable.

I would love to see some cameos by Zien and Gleason. Since they have cut the narrator, maybe when they have to feed someone to the giant they could come across some members of the OBC and feed them!

by Anonymousreply 1408/01/2013

"Giants in the Sky" is expendable.

Are we going to have a lot of CGI?

by Anonymousreply 1508/01/2013

if

[quote]They can make Meryl any age they want with movie magic.

then yes

[quote]

Are we going to have a lot of CGI?

by Anonymousreply 1608/01/2013

It's a typical Lapine show. A great first act with a useless, preachy second act.

by Anonymousreply 1708/01/2013

Haven't heard they cut Giants in the Sky and that would not make a lot of sense as they are clearly keeping Little Red's song with Depp and Cinderella's song for Kendrick. The cuts I have read about are mostly shorter songs in both acts which can be covered with quicker visuals as well as the first act finale and act two opening. Ullman is good casting.

by Anonymousreply 1808/01/2013

Keep in mind guy,s, we don't konw what songs will make the cut. Not too many movie musicals that kept their stage scores intact for the film versions. Think Cabaret, Sweeney Todd, How to Succeed, Brigadoon, The King and I. The Music Man and My Fair Lady are the only two that kept scores relatively intact. OK, Music Man substituted a ballad with a new tune and MFL had all the music but changed some of the song order. Oklahoma! lost one number Lonely Room and a few verses of Out of My Dreams. I guess West Side Story was another example of a score kept intact except the Somewhere ballet was cut and One Hand One Heart lost a verse. South Pacific?

Any others?

by Anonymousreply 1908/01/2013

Mamie Gummer cast as one of the stepsisters that has her eyes pecked out by birds. Forgot who is playing the other sister.

by Anonymousreply 2008/01/2013

Rumer Willis

by Anonymousreply 2108/01/2013

I love "into the Woods". If they are really cutting "Giants in the Sky" and "No More" I am extremely skeptical about this movie having any sense of the themes of what makes this a great show or even what makes Sondheim Sondheim what makes a great song a great song, or in the one case, what makes a big song a big song and how to film it, and in the other, what makes an intellectually alert and plaintively reflective duet so moving and interesting, and how to film that.

Is it the director? Yes and no. Marshall made a great movie of Chicago and hasn't done anything nearly as good, or even remotely satisfying since.

Is Jack's mother an important part? The show has a large cast of characters and a strong ensemble (as well as 3 headlining roles, plus a few major featured roles). Jack's is not major but she's an integral part of the community, which is itself almost a character - as the Witch says to them "I'm the witch, you're the world". Barbara Bryne was a standout as Jack's mother in the original production. The character has some brief solos but doesn't have her own song.

Interpolating a song for Jack's mother while getting rid of important - hardly expendable - numbers like Giants in the Sky and No More is what makes me skeptical - though still keeping an open mind - that this movie will work.

by Anonymousreply 2208/01/2013

The script can be found online. There is a new song for Meryl. Tammy Blanchard is the other stepsister.

by Anonymousreply 2308/01/2013

"Giants in the Sky" would stop a movie dead. Better just to show Jack with the Giants.

by Anonymousreply 2408/01/2013

Link, R23?

by Anonymousreply 2508/01/2013

r25

See: Google.

by Anonymousreply 2608/01/2013

Meryl is too old? You bitches are the bitchiest bitches who ever bitched!

by Anonymousreply 2708/01/2013

Benjamin Walker was supposed to be in it but Meryl nixed that after he refused to penetrate Mamie with his Abe Lincoln/Andrew Jackson penis anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2808/01/2013

I prefer Act 2.

by Anonymousreply 2908/01/2013

Those who are saying act 2 is bad are CRAZY.

Moments in the Woods Your Fault Last Midnight No More Children Will Listen No One Is Alone

All brilliant songs, lyrically and musically.

Moments in the Woods is my favorite song in the show, and although no one has come close to touching Gleason's performance, I still love to hear it performed.

Giants in the Sky is far from expendable, but it is an absolute TRAGEDY to cut No More.

by Anonymousreply 3008/01/2013

Which version of Last Midnight is the one most commonly used now? The rewrite that Vanessa Williams sang in the revival cut the balls off the song, killing the momentum of it.

by Anonymousreply 3108/01/2013

The problem with making a film of Into The Woods is that many of the songs describe offstage action that has just happened. Giants in the Sky is expendable because they can simply show that action on film. The same with Little Red's song and Cinderella's On the Steps of the Palace. It will be interesting to see how they solve this problem.

by Anonymousreply 3308/01/2013

[quote]A convenient thing to say when no one wants to make movies of your shows.

They've made more movies of Sondheim shows than Lloyd Webber shows, if you want to count "Gypsy", "West Side Story", and the made-for-tv "Evening Primrose".

by Anonymousreply 3408/01/2013

Did I realize that Into the Woods isn't a documentary? That's an amazingly stupid thing to say on so many levels, it'd practically take a dissertation to probe them all.

However, if you don't find wisdom and profundity in "Children Will Listen" and "A Moment in the Woods" and "No One Is Alone," then I pity your sour, crabbed brain.

by Anonymousreply 3508/02/2013

It's fun to poke the Sondheimites.

by Anonymousreply 3608/02/2013

I'm available.

by Anonymousreply 3708/02/2013

Giants in the Sky is not expendable. Most of the songs for the principals are apron songs that describe what just happened. Jack, LRRH, Baker's Wife, Cinderella... Sondheim specifically wrote them that way. So, all of the principal songs are going to get cut then? Why bother making a musical then?

Terrible logic. Cutting the Narrator completely changes the structure of the show and destroys it. Some of the best comedy comes from him interacting with the characters. This sounds like a disaster in the making, as usual for Broadway adaptations, satisfying neither fans nor new audience members.

by Anonymousreply 3808/02/2013

Corden is playing Sweeney in the NY Philharmonic concert of Sweeney Todd next March.

by Anonymousreply 3908/02/2013

R38, you're not thinking cinematically.

Look at what happened when "The Producers" far too faithfully adapated the musical to the screen. It was basically DOA.

While I have issues with "Cabaret" the film (mainly that I didn't like Liza,) they overhauled the entire thing so it wouldn't be so stage bound.

A film does not negate the play. They're two different mediums.

by Anonymousreply 4008/02/2013

No, that's Bryn Terfel. Both fat, but not the same person.

by Anonymousreply 4108/02/2013

Sophia Grace out as Little Red, Lilla Crawford (revival Annie) in. Thank god!

by Anonymousreply 4209/16/2013

[R23], I can't find the screenplay. Will you link?

by Anonymousreply 4309/16/2013

Joanna Riding as Cinderella's Mother. Love her.

by Anonymousreply 4409/16/2013

Excellent for Simon Russell Beale and Annette Crosbie as well.

by Anonymousreply 4509/16/2013

The stage version has already been filmed. Count yourselves lucky, ITW fans.

by Anonymousreply 4609/16/2013

Some people actually want Christopher Lee to play the narrator/Baker's Father. If Meryl's "too old", then Lee would be ridiculous. He's supposed to be the father, not great-grandfather!

Those imdb idiots need to stop suggesting Anthony Hopkins and Christopher Lee for "every old man role ever"!

by Anonymousreply 4709/16/2013

How will they make Meryl sexy and beautiful for her transformation? Is her part all digitally enhanced?

by Anonymousreply 4809/16/2013

R50, in all fairness Bruno plagiarized his work on fairytales from work that had been published in Germany. Quack, thief, liar.

by Anonymousreply 4909/16/2013

The screenplay is actually quite good. As a fan of the show, I really enjoyed it. All the changes made sense and will make the film work better. For example, the Giants strikes during Cinderella's wedding/the end of act 1 instead. "Giants in the Sky" was still in the draft I read.

by Anonymousreply 5009/16/2013

[quote]They can make Meryl any age they want with movie magic

EXACTLY! CGI can work wonders, that's what I keep telling people.

by Anonymousreply 5109/16/2013

At one point Jim Henson's muppet factory was in charge of the creatures and special effects. I wonder if the new producers are going to pursue the fanboy nerd demographic.

by Anonymousreply 5209/16/2013

The draft that's available is dated Feb, 2013. "Giants in the Sky" is there - if it's been cut, it's been since then.

by Anonymousreply 5309/16/2013

[quote[Barbara Bryne was a standout as Jack's mother in the original production.

Totally agree. When I saw her perform it, she would be very funny during the "There are flies on her thighs,/ There are bugs on her dugs!/ We've no time to sit and dither,/ While her withers wither with her," but when she got to the lines "And no one keeps a cow for a friend!/ Sometimes, I fear you're touched!' she would subtly modulate it so that she was expressing real concern and fear for her child. It was very moving. I've never seen anyone else in this role do that (they always make Jack's Mother one-dimensional... only comically exasperated).

by Anonymousreply 5409/16/2013

Sondheim has said repeatedly that it's not based on Bettelheim.

by Anonymousreply 5509/16/2013

I'm fine with "Giants in the Sky" is being cut--except for the great soaring notes at the end, it's not one of Sondheim's best songs.

The best songs in the score: Act One Prologue, "Hello, Little Girl," "Maybe They're Magic," "Agony" (best song in the score), "On the Steps of the Palace," "Ever After," "Any Moment"/"Moments in the Woods," "No One is Alone," "Children will Listen"

Important thematically or structurally: "I Know Things Now," "A Very Nice Prince," "It Takes Two," "Your Fault," "Last Midnight"

Expendable: "Giants in the Sky," "Stay with Me," "No More"

by Anonymousreply 5609/16/2013

Stay With Me expendable? It explains the Witch and her relationship with Rapunzel.

by Anonymousreply 5709/16/2013

The show sucks, it bombed the last TWO times in NY. They couldn't fill a free show in Central Park..

by Anonymousreply 5809/16/2013

It's always hard to say which songs are really crucial to a show and which are not.

Jule Styne felt so strongly about "Little Lamb" in Gypsy that I think he made it contractually so that any production of the show HAS to have that number in it (even though directors always want to cut it).

And then on the other extreme, the director of the film of "Lady in the Dark" cut almost the entirety (except for a few bars) of "My Ship," which is not only absolutely essential to understanding the show's plot (it's the key to the heroine's problem) but is what most people consider the greatest number from the whole show (and it's most certainly the most lasting standard from it).

by Anonymousreply 5909/16/2013

I prefer "Through the Woods" myself

by Anonymousreply 6009/16/2013

"I have never seen, nor really heard of this musical before"

More humblebragging from millenials. "I'm completely clueless about major arts events, and proud of it!"

by Anonymousreply 6109/16/2013

[quote]More humblebragging from millenials. "I'm completely clueless about major arts events, and proud of it!"

Sondeimites are insane.

by Anonymousreply 6209/16/2013

[quote] And then on the other extreme, the director of the film of "Lady in the Dark" cut almost the entirety (except for a few bars) of "My Ship," which is not only absolutely essential to understanding the show's plot (it's the key to the heroine's problem) but is what most people consider the greatest number from the whole show (and it's most certainly the most lasting standard from it).

I think that was more a case of the studio junking most of the score. See also: Anything Goes.

by Anonymousreply 6309/16/2013

So Giants in the Sky is safe, but Agony is gone ...

by Anonymousreply 6409/17/2013

So it sounds like this is just a few episodes of Once Upon Time set to musical theater music. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 6509/17/2013

"Agony" is one of the best songs!

by Anonymousreply 6609/17/2013

r61=Morgan James

by Anonymousreply 6709/17/2013

Yeah I can't believe they cut Agony. It's hilarious. Gives Pine much less to do.

I would rather they cut Moments in the Woods or No one is alone. Particularly the latter, because I can't stand James Corden.

by Anonymousreply 6809/17/2013

I've always thought the film of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum was better than the play.

I'm not looking forward to Into the Woods.

by Anonymousreply 6909/17/2013

The Forum film is good, I just wish they hadn't cut Impossible. Other than that, it shows just how slick the show is as a farce.

by Anonymousreply 7009/17/2013

Have the figured out a way to make M look beautiful after the transformation?

by Anonymousreply 7109/17/2013

Absolutely horrible music. I hope you "fans" invest heavily n it.

by Anonymousreply 7209/17/2013

R75 = Broadwayworld's After Eight

by Anonymousreply 7309/17/2013

They didn't cut Agony in the script. The first version is there, but the reprise is not.

by Anonymousreply 7409/18/2013

No More is cut, and I'm good with that. It would have made for boring cinema. Every last line of Moments in the Woods is there, and that WILL make for boring cinema.

by Anonymousreply 7509/18/2013

R38 mentioned that most of the songs are "apron songs."

I'm assuming that means the songs are sung on the stage apron.

I thought that most musicals used those kind of songs to keep the show moving along while there were set changes behind the curtain.

Is there a reason that Sondheim would write a lot of the songs as apron songs?

by Anonymousreply 7609/18/2013

My guess r79 would be that Woods has so much exposition. (they have to tell all the fairy tales and especially the new one of the Baker and his wife etc.)

I like the tape of the Original cast BUT everytime I've seen other productions they were kind of bad.

So Billy Magnuson doesn't get a single song now?

by Anonymousreply 7709/18/2013

Billy Magnusson doesn't have a solo, no, if that's what you mean by single song. But he does have the first version of "Agony," as a duet with Chris Pine, but not the second version.

by Anonymousreply 7809/18/2013

So, only a reprise of Agony is cut from the shooting script?

by Anonymousreply 7909/18/2013

No, other songs are cut as well as the reprise. "No More," Jack's goodbye to the cow, and a few other things. But most of the songs a re there, plus a new song for Meryl after Rapunzel is killed.

by Anonymousreply 8009/18/2013

Why can't I be the Witch? I can dazzle when I turn beautiful!!!

by Anonymousreply 8109/18/2013

Ferland was darling in the original.

by Anonymousreply 8209/18/2013

The CABARET score was NOT kept intact.

by Anonymousreply 8309/18/2013

Thank you R86.

by Anonymousreply 8409/18/2013

R66- the film version of ON YOUR TOES cut the entire score except for some instrumental background music. Same with FANNY and IRMA laDOUCE.

by Anonymousreply 8509/18/2013

[quote]The CABARET score was NOT kept intact

Being shot in Germany, I would have thought it would remain uncut.

by Anonymousreply 8609/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.