Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I Just Saw "Imitation of Life", with Lana Turner.

Now I understand the definition of drama v. melodrama.

I loved it and Lana was beautiful in those real jewels. The elaborate funeral at the end though, was really, really, really over the top. All that for a maid?

by Anonymousreply 15605/21/2014

Yes, beautiful young Troy Donahue has exactly 5 words in the movie.

They are: Is your mother a N*GGER?!!!

And then he proceeds to beat the shit out of the girl who is trying to pass for white.

by Anonymousreply 908/01/2013

Per Wiki, the film cost 2million and pulled in 6.5million. Those emeralds and diamonds worn by Lana (exquisite jewelry) were on loan from a jeweler. It also states that Lana's costumes in the film cost slightly over 1 million dollars and broke all records for costume expenses---but that sounds like hype.

Lana got paid very little but had a back-end percentage on the deal making her very rich if the film was successful, which it was. This deal was made because Lana was no longer an ingénue and she had just come out of the Joey Stompanato murder thing (daughter murdered her boyfriend) and the studio wasn't sure her audience was behind her any longer.

by Anonymousreply 1008/01/2013

Lana Turner's last interview. She died 7 months later from throat cancer. She looks like Nancy Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 1108/01/2013

I will always believe that Lana killed Johnny yourself

by Anonymousreply 1208/01/2013

Who is Johnny Yourself?

by Anonymousreply 1308/01/2013

[quote]I will always believe that Lana killed Johnny yourself

I had nothing to do with it! I wasn't even born yet!!!

Why must I be accused?!?!

by Anonymousreply 1408/01/2013

"The Maid", played by Juanita Moore, was even nominated for a supporting actress Oscar! That was real good progress for the negroes back then in the fifties!

by Anonymousreply 1508/01/2013

but did she win r15? Isn't that what matters at the end of the day?

by Anonymousreply 1608/01/2013

It was restored a couple years ago and I saw it in a theatre - WOW! I'd never seen it, loved it. Loved it, loved it, loved it. That is what melodrama should be. I then bought the dvd but have only seen it once. It begs for the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 1708/01/2013

no, poor thing didn't. But, luckily she went on the other several successful projects. Even playing "Elvira" in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane!

by Anonymousreply 1808/01/2013

The actress who plays Sarah Jane is also the mother of the two directors of the first American Pie, and I believe one of the Twilight movies. They also co-wrote AntZ.

by Anonymousreply 1908/01/2013

I love AntZ

by Anonymousreply 2008/01/2013

Juanita wasn't just a maid - she was Lana's companion and friend and she kept them all together when things were rough.

by Anonymousreply 2108/01/2013

a rose by any other name....

by Anonymousreply 2208/01/2013

That beautifully touching song by Mahalia Jackson:)! The production values alone. All those negro extras for the funeral scene and march. Miss Turner's gowns alone were enough to watch the movie!

My All Time Fave and I'm 83 years old now!

by Anonymousreply 2308/01/2013

The funeral scene was radical for the time. What other mainstream film would have five minutes of close-ups of black faces with Mahalia Jackson singing in the background?

by Anonymousreply 2408/01/2013

Susan Kohner was amazing. I love the scene where Sarah Jane, tired of being second-class, carries the hors d'oeuvre tray in on her head and says in a mock accent "Fetched y'all a mess a' crawdads, Miz Lora! Ain't no trick to totin'; I learnt it from my mammy. She learnt it from her ol' massa... before she belonged to you."

And then there's this scene, which is everything camp should be.

by Anonymousreply 2508/01/2013

wasn't this remade as one of those depressed housewife movies Julianne does?

by Anonymousreply 2608/01/2013

the goggle eyed staring line the director says is good stuff......anyone got the quote?

by Anonymousreply 2708/01/2013

"I'm White, White, White"! Brings tears to me eyes I tell ya! I would love to see a remake with Octavia Spencer & Amanda Bynes! or even Selena Gomez!

by Anonymousreply 2808/01/2013

I'm busy at the moment

by Anonymousreply 2908/01/2013

Far From Heaven is supposed to be an hommage, but I like the original far better.

by Anonymousreply 3008/01/2013

Susan Kohner was married to well known fashion designer John Weitz.

by Anonymousreply 3108/01/2013

I saw that film in film class back in the 70's (yes, I'm old; also female); was trying to act all "cool"; friend of mine next to me was trying to act all "tough chick" (in and out of the class); we had our notebooks out (class was on Genre Films); anyway: by the funeral scene we were bawling like little girls!

Melodramatic, I suppose but I very moving film.

by Anonymousreply 3208/01/2013

Sam Stagg, a Hollywood historian/writer, has written some great tell all books about some movie classics including "All About Eve" called "All About All About Eve" and "Sunset Boulevard." His book on "Imitation of Life" is quite good. Susan Kohner participated. Lots of pictures. You can find used copies on amazon.

by Anonymousreply 3308/01/2013

The difference in tone of the original versus the remake is shown best in the way the lead character reacts to her daughter’s crush on her boyfriend. Claudette breaks up with her boyfriend, while Lana tells her daughter to get over it!

by Anonymousreply 3608/01/2013

Sandra Dee annoyed me to no end in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 3708/01/2013

I watched it last night too. But I still prefer the 1934 version, mainly because Claudette Colbert is a much better actress than Lana Turner ever was, and Sandra Dee is a horrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 3808/01/2013

I think the 1934 original is much better than the 1959 remake. As OP points out, there's a difference between drama & melodrama, & that's very plain when you compare the two versions.

I like the novel too, which promoted some pretty advanced views when published in 1933.

[quote]Fannie Hurst's inspiration in writing her novel Imitation of Life was a road trip to Canada she took with her friend, the black short-story writer and folklorist Zora Neale Hurston. ... Universal had difficulty receiving approval from the censors at the Hays Office for the original script they submitted for Imitation of Life. Joseph Breen objected to the elements of miscegenation in the story, which "not only violates the Production Code but is very dangerous from the standpoint both of industry and public policy." ... he rejected the project, writing, "Hurst's novel dealing with a partly colored girl who wants to pass as white-violates the clause covering miscegenation in spirit, if not in fact!"

by Anonymousreply 3908/01/2013

[quote]no, poor thing didn't. But, luckily she went on the other several successful projects. Even playing "Elvira" in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane!

Maidie Norman played Elvira, not Juanita Moore. Most of the work Juanita Moore had after "Imitation" was in TV. And she's still alive today at 90 years of age.

by Anonymousreply 4008/01/2013

50th Anniversary of "Imitation of Life".

by Anonymousreply 4108/01/2013

In the 1934 version the maid's daughter was played y a black actress but in the later version by a white actress.

Can someone who has seen both versions explain why? Doesn't the girl have to pass for white in the earlier film?

by Anonymousreply 4208/01/2013

It was a huge hit--Universal's biggest grossing film up to that point. Turner had had another big hit two years before in "Peyton Place"--she was still considered a major star.

A lot of people who start watching it in anticipation of a campfest end up sobbing at the end, per R32's experience.

by Anonymousreply 4308/01/2013

I love this movie and I love the 1934 original version as well. Lana Turner and Sandra Dee's clothes were beautiful. The 1950s styles were elegant and just beautiful. Lana's jewels were just stunningly jaw dropping!

by Anonymousreply 4408/01/2013

"Imitation of Life" wasn't just a "success"...It was literally the biggest hit of the year. Lana did indeed take 50% after net of all the grosses (including international)

After that, Lana never had to work again if she didn't fee like it. She took similar deals for the rest of her Ross Hunter films making her very rich.

by Anonymousreply 4508/01/2013

My favorite camp scene was the montage of marquees displaying Lora's stage hits -- a scene that inspired another DL thread.

by Anonymousreply 4608/01/2013

In the 1934 version, as the maid is in bed dying, Claudette opens the bedroom door and three black members of the household staff are standing there singing spiritual harmony.

by Anonymousreply 4708/01/2013

'Imitation Of Life' is one of my favorite classic movies; it is so watchable. I first saw it on cable when I was a teenager and I still watch it about once a year.

by Anonymousreply 4808/01/2013

Pinterest page devoted to pictures from Imitation of Life:

by Anonymousreply 4908/01/2013

Barbra Streisand desperately wanted Lana Turner to play her mother in "The Mirror Has Two Faces." Lana wanted to do it, but she became too sick and was replaced with Lauren Bacall. It's a shame cause Lana would have won the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 5008/01/2013

R42, Susan Kohner, who plays Sarah Jane in the 1959 version, was half-Mexican.

by Anonymousreply 5108/01/2013

I know that John Gavin was the poor man's Rock Hudson, but damn, that man was so good looking, better than Rock even. Yes, he was usually stiff and wooden in every film I've seen him in, but who cares...he was pretty to look at.

by Anonymousreply 5208/01/2013

Fun fact: Susan Kohner is the niece of Frederick Kohner, who wrote the original Gidget novel. (And the cousin of Kathy Kohner, who was the inspiration for the character of Gidget.) And of course, her co-star, Sandra Dee, was the original film Gidget.

by Anonymousreply 5308/01/2013

What IS Gidget??

by Anonymousreply 5408/01/2013

[quote]In the 1934 version the maid's daughter was played y a black actress but in the later version by a white actress. Can someone who has seen both versions explain why? Doesn't the girl have to pass for white in the earlier film?

Yes, R42, the daughter (Peola, played by Fredi Washington) does pass in the original movie. But the black actress was very light-skinned (& had green eyes, according to IMDb) & just looked sort of exotic, not necessarily black.

by Anonymousreply 5508/01/2013

Fredi Washington sacrificed possible Hollywood stardom because she refused to pass. On the flip side, she was sometimes made to wear dark makeup in all-black "race films" when her characters were romantically involved, so audiences wouldn't think she was a white woman with a black boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 5608/01/2013

Just discovered a word today, thanks to DL: miscegenation, that is mixed marriages, mixed relationships and mixed children. Where is the day where people won't be classified as "white" or "black" when really more and more of us are just a mix?

by Anonymousreply 5708/01/2013

R57 You must be awfully young.

by Anonymousreply 5808/01/2013

I'm 35 and not American. Why?

by Anonymousreply 5908/01/2013

The interiors of the funeral were filmed at my church, Hollywood United Methodist on Highland, just up from Hollywood Blvd.

by Anonymousreply 6008/01/2013

R59, it wasn't until 1967 that the U.S. Supreme Court ruled anti-miscegenation laws unconstitutional in the case of Loving v. Virginia. Such laws were also on the books in Nazi Germany until 1945 & in South Africa during apartheid until 1985 -- they still exist in various Middle Eastern countries & parts of Asia.

by Anonymousreply 6108/01/2013

"Barbra Streisand desperately wanted Lana Turner to play her mother in "The Mirror Has Two Faces." Lana wanted to do it, but she became too sick and was replaced with Lauren Bacall. It's a shame cause Lana would have won the Oscar."

Lana died in 1995, Mirror was shot in 1996.

Bacall was always Streisand's first choice to play her mother.

by Anonymousreply 6208/01/2013

I would have gone to see TMHTF if Lana had been cast.

And alive, of course.

by Anonymousreply 6308/01/2013

[quote]Lana died in 1995, Mirror was shot in 1996.

Lana was asked in 1995, but she was too sick and ended up dying. Lauren Bacall was actually Barbra's third choice after Lana and Liz Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 6408/01/2013

I want my quack quack.

by Anonymousreply 6508/01/2013

It's a shame because Lana would've finally won the Oscar that she so deserved.

by Anonymousreply 6608/01/2013

I would have rather seen Lana in Mirror Has Two Faces, it's too bad she couldn't do it.

Of course, Lana Turner having Barbra as a (biological) daughter would have been preposterous, but it still would have been fun.

by Anonymousreply 6708/01/2013

Thank you R61. Those laws I had heard of, I just didn't know the term.

by Anonymousreply 6808/01/2013

Susan Kohnner is also the daughter of Lupita Tovar, who played the leading female role in the spanish language version of Dracula in 1931. She's still alive at 103 (she had birthday just a few days ago) and is the last surviving leading lady of those legendary Universal studios horror movies.

by Anonymousreply 6908/01/2013

What is Lana's lesbian daughter, Cheryl Crane, up to these days?

by Anonymousreply 7008/01/2013

R70 She's refereeing the cheese-ball contest at MichFest.

by Anonymousreply 7108/01/2013

Lana was the wealthiest female movie star after Peyton Place and Imitation of Life. She took no fees on either films other than $10,000, but made over $6 million from her cut of the profits on both, which was huge in the 1950s.

She was very shrewd with money and wisely invested it, enabling her to be set for the next thirty years with minimal work.

by Anonymousreply 7208/01/2013

[quote]"Far From Heaven" is an homage to "All That Heaven Allows."[/quote]

It's actually an homage to BOTH movies, if you read Todd Haynes interviews.

by Anonymousreply 7308/01/2013

I've told my family I want an Imitation of Life funeral. Horse drawn carriage, Mahalia Jackson singing Trouble of the World, milkman crying in the front pew.

Also, John Gavin was at his peak of beauty in this movie. Just delicious.

by Anonymousreply 7408/01/2013

It's a very good movie thanks to visionary direction. Even Turner is absolutely right in it in her own fake way.

But the dialogue is almost uniformly amateurish and on-the-nose. Moore and Kohner rise above it out of sheer talent. Sandra Dee is surprisingly good and has a terrific moment when she says to Turner what the entire audience has been thinking for the last two hours: "Mama, stop acting!" But the dialogue throughout most of the movie is so flat and obvious, it's embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 7508/01/2013

Gavin was so beautiful and such a LOUSY actor.

by Anonymousreply 7608/01/2013

"You gonna need that algebra the way the prices keep goin' up."

by Anonymousreply 7708/01/2013

I liked the original because Hattie McDaniel was not a maid but a coworker. It was her pancake recipe that led to all the money.

It was Colbert's knowhow that got the business off the ground and made it flourish.

McDaniel chipped in and cooked and worked alongside Colbert and got rich with her. She was a simple woman and continued to live with Colbert but had money of her own.

The remake Juanita Moore as good as she is is just the maid. A companion yes but she doesn't contribute to any of the wealth.

The money comes from Lana the actress.

by Anonymousreply 7808/01/2013

I agree, r78. But it was Louise Beavers who played Delilah in the original movie, not Hattie McDaniel.

by Anonymousreply 7908/01/2013

Guess they all look alike to R78.

by Anonymousreply 8008/01/2013

I would love to see the original. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to rent or stream most classic films. Netflix and Amazon Prime have only a very limited selection of the classics available for streaming.

Every once in a while, someone will post a classic movie on youtube, but these are usually taken down quickly for "copyright reasons".

by Anonymousreply 8108/01/2013

I think the first version is an overall better film, although I find Turner's transition from the poor, struggling single mother to famous actress more believeable than Colbert's transition to socialite.

by Anonymousreply 8208/01/2013

Gracious, we've been talking about me all this time. Enough of that, please, let's talk about something else, like ME!

by Anonymousreply 8308/01/2013

The linked website does an annual tally of almost 4,000 filmmakers, film critics, film academics, film journals, etc., to rank the top 1,000 greatest films of all time. For the 2013 tally, "Imitation of Life" ranks at number 155, just below "Performance" (1970) and just above "Brief Encounter" (1945); it moved up from number 238 last year.

by Anonymousreply 8408/01/2013

Although the 1934 version has a real cringe inducing scene where Colbert and her business manager realized Beavers should get a cut of the income and they offer her 1/3 of the business (ahem, it was her recipe they were using) and Beavers starts to cry and plead "You don't want me around no more?!". She turns it down, but Colbert and her manager decide to still give her the money by depositing it in account, but not letting her know so as not to upset her.

At least in the 1959 version, once Lana makes it big, Annie is getting paid and she's saving the money for Sarah Jane to go to college and for her big funeral. And given how lavish that funeral was, Lana was paying Annie very well.

by Anonymousreply 8508/01/2013

I've read that the whole Lana/Jane feud on Falcon Crest was hyped up to garner attention for the show, and that it's not true that their shared scenes were actually filmed separately and then spliced together. They certainly weren't bffs, but they were very cordial to each other and got on fine.

by Anonymousreply 8608/01/2013

For R81:

Pinky 1949

by Anonymousreply 8708/01/2013

Thanks. I've already watched Pinky on youtube. I also recently watched the 1936 version of Showboat (20 x better than the 1951 version) thanks to some kind poster on youtube.

But my point is that most movies from the 1930s and 1940s are not going to be big sellers on dvd, and don't generate much demand on the for-pay streaming sites. So why do Hollywood studios pull them off youtube when someone is good enough to put them up for viewing?

by Anonymousreply 8808/01/2013

I would like to see this remade too but I don't think Viola should do another turn as a maid. There has to be another Black actress (not Octavia) that could play the role.

I also would love it if they used the old technicolor effect for it as well or just B&W. Really give it an old feel. The youngsters might stay away but the 90,000,000 baby boomers would see it and their money is just as green.

by Anonymousreply 8908/01/2013

Does TCM have the rights to the original version? Which studio did it come from?

by Anonymousreply 9008/01/2013

Louise Beavers and Hattie McDaniel both played the title role on "Beulah" (as did Ethel Waters).

by Anonymousreply 9108/01/2013

TCM played it a few months ago. I think it was Claudette Colbert Night or something. That was the second time I ever saw it. The first time was approximately 10 years earlier on a late night showing on PBS during some classic movie showcase they used to air.

by Anonymousreply 9208/01/2013

r88, there was an article recently (in the Wall Street Journal, I think, but I can't find it now) that classic movies are now selling better on DVD than current films because older audiences and film buffs are more likely to buy than are younger, casual film viewers; additionally, the profit margin is higher as there is minimal cost in the older films compared to the recent films.

by Anonymousreply 9308/01/2013

"It's a shame because Lana would've finally won the Oscar that she so deserved."

Lauren Bacall is a better actress than Lana Turner ever was (not that that's nec. saying a great deal), Bacall was actually very good in The Mirror Has Two Faces, was certainly more believable as Streisand's mother than Turner ever would have been, was widely believed to be the favorite for the oscar, and didn't get it. Juliette Binoche was superb in the The English Patient (awful movie though it is but it won the oscar anyway; then again Mirror is a piece of shit); although Binoche's role was much more appropriately lead than supporting (she's certainly as much a lead as Kristen Scott Thomas, who was nominated as lead).

If Bacall didn't get it, Turner most likely wouldn't have either.

by Anonymousreply 9408/01/2013

Juanita Moore, seriously?

by Anonymousreply 9508/01/2013

R90, both the original & the remake were produced by Universal Pictures. TCM doesn't own the Universal movies but does license the use of individual movies from them -- I've the original on TCM several times. The TCM website has a DVD for sale with both versions of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 9608/01/2013

I love these kinds of discussion threads! I just want to say I adore Lana Turner, and for me, the pinnacle of melodrama is Madam X. That was Lana's Oscar turn. She was magnificent. you think you cried when Juanita Moore's character died? Gurrrlll, you needed to see Lana die in Madam X. What a death scene. Oh Em Gee. I love Imitation of Life, but Madam X is my definitive Lana Turner movie.

Interesting sidebars: John Gavin was appointed U.S. Ambassador to Mexico. I think by LBJ or JFK. As for the original, Fredi Washington had a sister who was very beautiful, too. Her sister married the Baptist Minister/ Congressman, the very flamboyant, hell-raising Adam Clayton Powell.

by Anonymousreply 9708/01/2013

Has anyone here read the Fannie Hurst novel (or short story?) the original film is based on?

Just wondering how closely the film follows in plot or if, perhaps, the remake is closer?

Or if the book had to actually be softened for the censors and would be ripe for a remake now a la Todd Haymes' Mildred Pierce on HBO?

by Anonymousreply 9808/01/2013

r97 I think he was appointed by Ronald Reagan

by Anonymousreply 9908/01/2013

The 1934 film has aired many times on TCM. It's one of Claudette's classic films as a superstar.

by Anonymousreply 10008/02/2013

John Gavin now, living in Ireland. I'd still fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 10108/02/2013

Gavin was a conservative and probably a Republican, so Ronald Reagan makes more sense.

If I'm not mistaken, he didn't like being hit on by other guys, either.

And like R76 said, he was beautiful and a lousy actor.

by Anonymousreply 10208/02/2013

R101 It's def the same smile. I'm very surprised he lost his hair on the top of his head.

by Anonymousreply 10308/02/2013

[quote]I would love to see the original. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to rent or stream most classic films. Netflix and Amazon Prime have only a very limited selection of the classics available for streaming.

Just buy the double dvd on Amazon. It's not expensive.

by Anonymousreply 10408/02/2013

That is not John Gavin

by Anonymousreply 10508/02/2013

Are you sure R104? It is the same smile.

by Anonymousreply 10608/02/2013

r98, the original movie follows the book, the remake doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 10708/02/2013

John Gavin is married to Constance Towers. He was such a wooden actor, barely registering in his scenes, but he was so damn purdy. That is the definition of a tall, dark, extremely handsome man.

by Anonymousreply 10808/02/2013

He was physical perfection...I couldn't understand why Lana wouldn't give him a tumble...he was certainly a good man and crazy about her and her silly daughter.

by Anonymousreply 10908/02/2013

Gavin seems to have flown under the radar. Any gay/bi rumors about him? He was so gorgeous, he probably had guys throwing themselves at him, and given his lack of talent, it's hard to believe he didn't at least take advantage of the casting couch from time time to secure some these of these roles.

by Anonymousreply 11008/02/2013

Many, MANY years ago (1970) I was an apprentice at one of the east coast straw hat summer stock theaters and John Gavin came through, playing El Gallo in a production of The Fantastiks.

He was still very handsome (just starting to lose some hair) and very gentlemanly and well-behaved, even as every male and female apprentice threw themselves at him...clearly made for the diplomatic corps.

by Anonymousreply 11108/02/2013

[quote]The Fantastiks.

They wrote a play about spray cleaners?

by Anonymousreply 11208/02/2013

The Fantasticks

by Anonymousreply 11308/02/2013

I didn't want to pay $10 to get a dvd, especially when I recently watched the Lana version for free a couple of months ago.

But I just checked and you can watch the 1934 version of youtube. It's $2.99. That's fine with me. I just don't want to buy a dvd I will only watch once.

by Anonymousreply 11408/02/2013

Peyton Place is going to be on TCM next week. I already have it scheduled on my DVR. I love the actress who played the town slut.

They aired Return to Peyton Place last week, but I haven't watched it yet. Is it any good, or should I erase it?

by Anonymousreply 11508/02/2013

R115, "Return" is only good when Tuesday Weld or Mary Astor is onscreen. Since you've recorded it, you can ff through all the crap that's in between their scenes.

by Anonymousreply 11608/02/2013

[quote]Lana was asked in 1995, but she was too sick and ended up dying. Lauren Bacall was actually Barbra's third choice after Lana and Liz Taylor.

Streisand's first choice was Ann Sheridan, when she turned it down, Betty Grable was asked, but couldn't come to terms on pay.

by Anonymousreply 11708/02/2013

Did Babs consider Dottie Lamour? Or Betty Hutton??

by Anonymousreply 11808/02/2013

Huge fan of late end Lana Turner movies. Imitation, Many Faces, Peyton, Madame X -- love them all.

Thanks to whoever upthread linked to the DL thread of Lora Meredith's big hits. Of all actresses to cast as a hugely successful stage star ...

Lana was just the perfect movie star. She is great when she is young and juicy and she is great in the late 50s/60s movies. What a career. What a life.

Speaking of juicy -- count me in as another who drooled over John Gavin. Lord he was gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 11908/03/2013

[quote]Lana was just the perfect movie star. She is great when she is young and juicy and she is great in the late 50s/60s movies. What a career. What a life

I'm a big film addict, but I don't think it was until recently that I realized what a big star Lana was in the forties. Wikipedia has a page that lists the box office hits of each year. If you scan through the 40s, Lana has at least one film in the top hits each year--sometimes 2 or 3. A lot of these movies are justly forgotten (e.g., Homecoming, Cass Timberlane), but they were big hits at a time when most of the population when to the movies at least once a week.

In 1941, she was in three big hits: Honky Tonk, Ziegfield Girl, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

(These lists are interesting for another reason: the movies we still watch aren't necessarily the movies that were the biggest hits.)

by Anonymousreply 12008/03/2013

The DVD with both versions of the movie is available at several public libraries in the San Francisco Bay area, so it's probably also available at most other libraries in big cities.

by Anonymousreply 12108/03/2013

R105, that IS old John Gavin, bald and all. Just use google john gavin photos on google images.

by Anonymousreply 12208/03/2013

Young John Gavin. Very handsome guy.

by Anonymousreply 12308/03/2013

Yes, public libraries in big cities are a good place to catch up on classic films. I recently saw Lana's "Madam X" on a dvd-loaner from our library. But they did not have either version of "Imitation for Life".

by Anonymousreply 12408/03/2013

If you're going to show a pic of John Gavin, then at least show him shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 12508/03/2013

R124, check to see whether your library subscribes to either the LINK-PLUS or the Interlibrary Loan (ILLIAD) system -- members can borrow items from libraries all over the country & lend them to patrons. The DVD is in the LINK-PLUS catalogue.

by Anonymousreply 12608/03/2013

Ah, sweet mystery of life at last I've found you!

by Anonymousreply 12708/03/2013

[quote]Return" is only good when Tuesday Weld or Mary Astor is onscreen

Astor is just so good in that piece of crap. She was a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 12808/03/2013

I agree, R128. Mary Astor improved everything she appeared in (& most of them needed it). Hugely talented woman, who also wrote books (2 autobiographies & at least 1 novel, not to mention her infamous diary). Interesting life -- deflowered by John Barrymore when she was 16 & he was 40, Hollywood stardom, alcoholism -- she must have been fun to know.

by Anonymousreply 12908/03/2013

What film is that photo of shirtless John Gavin from??

I must have it!

by Anonymousreply 13008/04/2013

R130, "OSS 117: Double Agent" (aka "Pas de Roses pour OSS 117" or "Murder for Hire"). Possibly John Gavin's best performance on film, which isn't saying much.

by Anonymousreply 13108/04/2013

Naked fighting scene from OSS 117:

by Anonymousreply 13208/04/2013

The shirtless Gavin photos make the movie look like an outrageous sex farce but the title seems to suggest otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 13308/04/2013

The best line of the movie goes to Miss Lora's cuntastic "Why Annie, it never occurred to me that you had any friends.." Ouch!

Anyway, Sandra Dee is AWFUL in the movie and nearly ruins it. She plays her part like Gidget Goes to a Funeral.

by Anonymousreply 13408/04/2013

Yes, Sandra De is very weak as Turner's daughter. But her immaturity almost works, because the audience does not take her seriously as a threat to Lana in her relationship with Gavin. Dee is "Gidget". Had she been more adult, more seductive, the mother/daughter competition for the same man wpuld have thrown the film off balance.

by Anonymousreply 13508/04/2013

"Barbra Streisand desperately wanted Lana Turner to play her mother in "The Mirror Has Two Faces."

Please. As if anyone who looked like Lana could have a daughter that looked like Babs.

by Anonymousreply 13608/04/2013

John Gavin is shirtless in the opening scene in "Psycho" . . . Janet Leigh is in a bra.

Hitchcock wanted to film Janet naked from the waist up, but 1960 standards wouldn't allow it.

by Anonymousreply 13708/05/2013

Lora Meredith was such a self centered diva.

by Anonymousreply 13808/11/2013

Lex Barker looks like he knew how to throw a brutal fuck. Bet he tore her juicy to shreds. Lucky bitch.

by Anonymousreply 13908/11/2013

Douglas Sirk, the director, was a genius. His films, though dismissed condescendingly in the 1950s, are cinematic masterpieces of irony.

by Anonymousreply 14008/12/2013

Of course, Lex Barker had a big cock. That's what Lana usually looked for in a man.

Both Lana and Arlene Dahl married Barker. Dahl was also married to Fernando Lamas, who had a famous affair with Lana.

So who had the biggest dick, Barker or Lamas? Who was the best fuck? What did mid-century gossips have to say?

by Anonymousreply 14108/14/2013

Turner Classic Movies showed Imitation of Life this past weekend. I've seen it a couple of dozen times already but can never resist watching again whenever it's on. This time I noticed they'd cut out a line of Annie's, in the scene in the old apartment kitchen when they decide Annie should stay with Lora:

"You wouldn't have to pay me no wages. Just let me do for you."

I guess that hits a nerve in an era of greater awareness of the abuse of unpaid domestic workers.

by Anonymousreply 14208/15/2013

R139, Lana's daughter Cheryl Crane stated in her book that Lex Barker was abusive, physically and sexually, toward her and her mother. I wouldn't call that being lucky.

by Anonymousreply 14308/15/2013

The Turner version of "Life" is now available on Netflix streaming. I had recently seen a pirated version where the dubbing was way off. So I am now watching the real thing.

R142, that line of Annie's may have been cut for Turner Classics, but it remains in the version streaming on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 14408/16/2013

I don't know what R142's agenda is but I just checked my DVR and the line is still there.

by Anonymousreply 14508/16/2013

Just watched it again on TCM. Susan Kohner and Juanita Moore put those other bitches to shame. Lana and Sandy couldn't hold their own in their scenes with them. Gavin was just window dressing. But, I cry every fucking time.

by Anonymousreply 14605/01/2014

by Anonymousreply 14705/01/2014

In our house, the film made us very protective of dark skinned people getting shit from light skinned people.

by Anonymousreply 14805/02/2014

Boy. Lana Turner really couldn't act and I thought Katherine Hepburn was a bad actress. I can't believe we were supposed to buy Lana as a stage actress? At becoming one of Broadway's brightest stars in her late thirties looking every year of it? I loved her hair though.

by Anonymousreply 14905/02/2014

I finally saw the original last night. It was all right, but not as good as the later version. For me the ending watered down the emotional impact of Delilah's death, whereas the Sirk version nailed it.

Fredi Washington was the best part of the movie -- I guess it was just the period, but Louise Beavers was too mammy-ish for my taste. Claudette Colbert and the rest were just mannered and one-dimensional.

by Anonymousreply 15005/12/2014

Didn't Dinah Shore have some of these issues?

by Anonymousreply 15105/12/2014

I'm sorry I watched the clip of Lana's last interview.

Christ, does every Hollywood STAR morph over time into Nora Desmond?

by Anonymousreply 15205/13/2014

I'm Irish.

But not a *hiccup* drunk!

by Anonymousreply 15305/13/2014

You can see the original on Viooz.

by Anonymousreply 15405/15/2014

Troy Donahue did play a very mean man on Imitation of Life! Ironically, a man with the same first name as the nickname of a hero, Ambers O'Neal "Troy" Shewmaker-Cansler. Troy Cansler gave his life saving a woman!

by Anonymousreply 15505/21/2014

My family's housekeeper's funeral attracted 400 guests at the Metropolitan Baptist AME Church. My parents and I were the only white mourners. There were three ministers and two choirs. People walked the aisles to hand out fans, despite which several mourners fainted.

OP, do you really think the funeral was too over the top for a maid?

by Anonymousreply 15605/21/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!