Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Oprah Winfrey: 'I can't stand people who use N-word'

Oprah Winfrey has revealed in a new interview that she "can't stand" people who use the N-word.

The comment comes in the wake of actress Rae Dawn Chong's radio tirade against Winfrey, in which she referred to the Emmy winner as "vile", a "brown noser" and a "field-n***er".

Chong, who starred in The Color Purple alongside Winfrey, later released an apology video, insisting that the derogatory remark was meant as a compliment.

Speaking to Parade magazine along with Forest Whitaker for their new movie The Butler, Winfrey subtly shared her feelings on Chong's language.

She said: "You cannot be my friend and use that word around me."'

Winfrey admitted that she is uncomfortable with all races using the word, adding: "It shows my age, but I feel strongly about [the N-word]… I always think of the millions of people who heard that as their last word as they were hanging from a tree."

by Anonymousreply 6508/10/2013

Dumbass Oprah thinks "millions" of blacks were lynched -and yet she decries the ignorance of young people as it relates to American history!

by Anonymousreply 108/01/2013

Oprah and Don Lemon...

Who needs enemies when you have "friends" like them!

They are self-hating blacks who seeks to push down other blacks for pushing back at the White Devil!

by Anonymousreply 208/01/2013

I think it is a legit statement.

I can't help but cringe at the thought that someones last words was that word.

Imagine some guy getting queer bashed, and the last words uttered at him was faggot? It is truly awful.

How is she keeping you down? R2

And how many "white devils" you walk up to in bars and ask to fuck?

Good god get a grip girl!

by Anonymousreply 408/01/2013

The N-word... as in "No"?

by Anonymousreply 508/01/2013

What is Rae Dawn Chong's beef with her anyway? Did Oprah refuse to loan her money?

by Anonymousreply 608/01/2013

[quote]And how many "white devils" you walk up to in bars and ask to fuck?

Just tonight? Or do you mean a weekly average?

by Anonymousreply 708/01/2013

She has many friends that use the N word.

by Anonymousreply 808/01/2013

I guess she and Jay Z are no long friends since he uses the word in his new song "Holy Grail" - which is in the top 10 on the charts now.

by Anonymousreply 908/01/2013

"I can't stand [the little] people who use N-word"

Fixed it for her.

by Anonymousreply 1008/01/2013

She's talking about black people who use that word too, right?

by Anonymousreply 1108/01/2013

I assume so, R11. I think a lot of older black people, as she points out herself, don't care for using the word AT ALL, by blacks or whites.

by Anonymousreply 1208/01/2013

I totally agree with R4. I will never believe that use if the word "f@ggot" is acceptable, even by someone else who is gay. I feel the same way about the word "qu33r." To me "qu33r" means, "strange, unusual, oddly curious" and while I may have a minority sexual orientation, being gay does not make me a curiosity.

Although I think it's especially wrong for a white person to use the "N word," I don't think black people shoud ever use it either. Words like that are thoroughly ugly nd hateful.

by Anonymousreply 1308/01/2013

Yes she is talking about blacks and whites using the word and she is right. It symbolizes bigotry at its most virilent.

by Anonymousreply 1408/01/2013

"qu33r"?

Roger Octopus never disappoints.

by Anonymousreply 1508/01/2013

She clearly means nachos.

Oprah hates nachos.

by Anonymousreply 1608/01/2013

millions?

by Anonymousreply 1708/01/2013

I watched that Interview and listened as Oprah told me that I need to go see this movie. I intend to.

But here's the thing with Oprah. She talked about hating the N word because of the "millions of people who heard that word just before they were lynched."

Bull.

From 1882-1968, 4,743 lynchings occurred in the United States.

by Anonymousreply 1808/01/2013

Of course lynchings didn't occur before 1882 or after 1968

by Anonymousreply 1908/01/2013

I think it is sad, that as Adults, we cannot speak our minds. We have to use phrases (n word). How utterly stupid is that? We have all heard it used but God forbid if we say it. That is of course unless you are a rap singer, comedian or a black individual or some kind of celebrity. It's ok to use this word if you are black but a white person is condemned for life if they even think it.

by Anonymousreply 2008/01/2013

It's true that millions were not lynched. They were only mistreated and kept in slavery and worked to death, killed if they tried to escape.

There, make you happy? She misspoke. No big deal.

by Anonymousreply 2108/01/2013

Not an Oprah fan, but I agree with her on this one. I really cannot understand why some black people use it.

by Anonymousreply 2208/01/2013

Oprah does not "do" the N-word! Oprah cannot stand the N-word!

by Anonymousreply 2308/01/2013

If we're going to use colors to describe our fellow human beings; well, I have a hard time calling my friends, "white". I wanna say "pink", or "tanned", or "ashen", or something else. But they're comfortable with "white", it seems.

by Anonymousreply 2408/01/2013

As a 38 yr old black man I personally don't use the word so I'm not mad at Oprah.

Can we really assume that the published lynching numbers could possibly be anywhere near accurate.

by Anonymousreply 2608/01/2013

[quote]She misspoke. No big deal.

Works for me.

by Anonymousreply 2708/01/2013

Well People also seem to forget what happened in Rosewood, Colfax, and Tulsa/Greenwood St. Those numbers don't seem to matter to them either.

Learn your US History. All sides, not just the white-washed versions. You easily google pictures of lynchings. What some people did for fun.

Learn to understand why there is anger behind the word.

by Anonymousreply 2808/01/2013

Miss Oprah said "millions" and that is what people will remember. Don't school me. School her.

by Anonymousreply 2908/01/2013

R27, you need to delve deeper and look into why the white guys were lynched. It wasn't for such trumped-up charges as supposedly looking at a white woman or the other fucked-up reasons black men were lynched.

White guys were lynched for stealing horses or cattle or being thieves or murderers. Of course some were lynched unfairly, but many of them were criminals.

by Anonymousreply 3008/01/2013

Okay, R31, you win. Her message has been invalidated because she used the word millions.

It's ridiculous that anyone would want to nitpick and let a good message get lost because of a single word.

by Anonymousreply 3108/01/2013

Oprah Winfrey is putting me to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 3208/01/2013

Black is a color not a race. If you we're born in France and you are black, why are you labeled an African American? Utterly ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 3308/01/2013

Lee Daniels might want to keep Miss Oprah out of the publicity. He might end up with another "Beloved" on his hands.

by Anonymousreply 3408/01/2013

I thought "Beloved" was a pretty great movie R36. I think it wasn't a hit because it was so uncompromising in the realistic way it dealt with such a horrifying and disturbing subject matter. I really believe Oprah Winfrey deserved to win the Best Actress Oscar that year and the film should have at least been nominated for Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 3508/01/2013

"Roger Octopus" is a persona, right?

Not a real guy?

by Anonymousreply 3608/01/2013

Well, I am a real guy. But, "Roger Octopus" is not my real name. I made it up especially for DataLounge so that I could remember what I posted. I don't really understand why people seem to make such a big deal about my posts and my fake name.

by Anonymousreply 3708/01/2013

R38 LMAO

by Anonymousreply 3808/01/2013

thank you, R30 so many here are ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 3908/01/2013

When you think of beauty, talent and class, you automatically think of Oprah Winfrey. This interview only cements her status as an incredibly smart business and incredibly gifted humanitarian.

by Anonymousreply 4008/01/2013

Oh, there were plenty of GOOD reasons as to why "Beloved" wasn't a hit...

by Anonymousreply 4108/01/2013

[quote]BTW, of the 4,743 people lynched during that period, about[bold] one [/bold]in four — 1,297 —[bold] were[/bold] white.

by Anonymousreply 4208/01/2013

r20

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4308/01/2013

I agree with O but her associations with Jay Z etc.....it's like...one rule for one and another for....?

by Anonymousreply 4408/01/2013

I can't take this dumb New Age cunt seriously who says shit like slaves wanted to be slaves to learn spiritual lessons. *roll eyes*

by Anonymousreply 4508/01/2013

I would like to hear from any black people reading this thread. If they say that it is hurtful to use the "N word"; and I believe they will, then people should stop using it. It's that simple.

I would like everyone, gay or straight, to stop using the words "f@gg0t" and "qu33r." Why don't we all agree to never use those words again? We can never de-stigmatize them, and why should we try? Let's work to end the use of all hateful words!

by Anonymousreply 4608/01/2013

Not millions...

by Anonymousreply 4708/01/2013

wow r18 youre a dumb ass... so those were ALL the lynchings tallied by conservative, WHITE record keepers? I'm not saying millions were lynched but you're a fucking dumb ass honkey

by Anonymousreply 4808/02/2013

You seem upset, R21. Some gay people use "faggot." You won't mind, then, if I call you faggot, right?

by Anonymousreply 4908/02/2013

Somehow I don't imagine that a people who hang around Oprah have the opportunity to use the "N-word."

by Anonymousreply 5008/02/2013

I want a sweet!

by Anonymousreply 5108/02/2013

[quote]wow [R18] youre a dumb ass... so those were ALL the lynchings tallied by conservative, WHITE record keepers? I'm not saying millions were lynched but you're a fucking dumb ass honkey

Yeah Nimrod, Rush Limbaugh kept the records back then. You sound like you've got the IQ of a dust mite.

And another thing, people toss the Honkey and Cracker word around freely. Cracks me the F up.

by Anonymousreply 5208/02/2013

I can see why she might shy away from the Nude-word.

by Anonymousreply 5308/02/2013

She is such a stereotypical, lazy, self-absorbed, dishonest Nutella.

by Anonymousreply 5408/02/2013

Why all the panties-in-a-bunch crap over language? Any plastic Stepford wife can learn the politically correct rules, and hence put something over on me. I prefer people with a pureness in their hearts, regardless of the crap that comes out of their mouths. Trust me, "N-Word", or, "Nancy" smells the same after a nom-nom with a pound and a half of salted cod. Too bad people can't keep their asses as clean as they keep their damn language.

by Anonymousreply 5508/04/2013

Tawanna Brawley is my lover.

by Anonymousreply 5608/06/2013

r47 Oprah has already confronted Jay Z on using the n-word on her TV show years ago.

by Anonymousreply 5708/06/2013

Sorry for my previous emotional outburst. I didn't realize the "N" word meant, "Next"...

by Anonymousreply 5808/06/2013

Why the hate for Don Lemon? He seems like good folk.

by Anonymousreply 5908/07/2013

cannot stand Oprah, but I agree. I have zero tolerance for that word.

by Anonymousreply 6008/07/2013

[quote]BTW, of the 4,743 people lynched during that period, about one in four — 1,297 — [bold]were[/bold] white.

[quote]Oh dear | reply 44

Honey, if you're gonna try to be a grammar queen, it helps to learn proper grammar first.

In this case, "were" was the CORRECT word to use.

by Anonymousreply 6108/09/2013

Oprah is the salt of the earth.

by Anonymousreply 6208/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.