Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why do people want "purebred" dogs?

Are they just really selfish people? Do they really think that an inbred purebred is going to behave better than a mixed shelter dog? I'm especially disturbed by bulldog owners... those dogs are so stupid and if left untrained are terrible to be around. They have health problems because of the inbreeding.

Meanwhile, my adopted mutt has the prettiest red coat in town- it is always remarked upon when we're out on walks. He's also one of the most intelligent, intuitive dogs I've ever owned. He is 13 and has never had an accident indoors. He went through a chewing phase when he was a puppy and that's it. He doesn't bark unless he wants to go out to pee or if he sees someone in the backyard. He doesn't jump on people. He's better than any purebred dog I've ever met.

by Anonymousreply 1207/31/2013

All my dogs have been shelter dogs except for my Great Dane. I had wanted one for as long as I can remember. He is the only dog I got as a puppy. He only lived 2.5 years :^(

by Anonymousreply 107/31/2013

You put up with a lot with purebreds. But then, they're purebreds.

by Anonymousreply 207/31/2013

Totally cool post. I can only speak for my Mom - she was so terribly paranoid, from media reports, that a true dog lover only goes to a reputable breeder. She thought she was doing the right thing. Fact is, dog lovers only need go to a reputable dog. Sometimes they just show up in your backyard.

by Anonymousreply 307/31/2013

We have a bulldog. Well, he's really our son's dog but we take care of him most of the time due to our son's work schedule. He's pretty much like your dog, OP: perfectly housetrained, chewing phase as a puppy but is over that now, and only barks for a reason. Granted, some of his reasons are hatred of the mailman and a particular dislike of huskies and cocker spaniels, but hey, we all have our quirks! He doesn't have health problems, maybe because he's not as wrinkly as the average bulldog. I think he's a throwback - we've had a few people comment, "Now that's what bulldogs are supposed to look like!" He's a great dog and we love him.

I have four cats who are rescues, so I'm not gonna feel guilty about having a purebred dog.

by Anonymousreply 407/31/2013

Some people fall in love with particular breeds for whatever reasons.

by Anonymousreply 507/31/2013

For some people, it's like having a brand name purse.

For other people, dogs are their life. At my dog sport club, there are people who've been showing dogs--confirmation, rally, and obedience tourneys--for 30 or 40 years. (Many of these same people are the ones who train dogs as companions for disabled people.)

by Anonymousreply 607/31/2013

I have nothing against bulldogs, I've just noticed that all the ones I've known are dumb as rocks and then there was also that article in the NYT about the problems inbreeding has caused in bulldogs. In order to deliver a litter of bulldog puppies the mother must have a c-section or risk dying because bulldogs have such big heads.

I have a friend who is breeding her bulldog female because her kids really want another puppy (that they will forget once it grows up). I think it's a really awful thing to do just because your kids want another bulldog and because you think bulldog puppies are cute. I'm really annoyed with her.

by Anonymousreply 707/31/2013

My first lover was a purebred. So exhibited so many problems with anxiety, disobedience, hip dysplasia and bad temper. He chewed my socks too. His legs were so lean I worried I would break them when I mounted him.

I am now happily coupled with a mutt. Such a pretty coat. He is so smart, responsive, affectionate and social. He has the cutest little eyes and pinkest tongue. He has learned every trick I have taught him, loves to play and he accepts discipline with gratitude. When his tail wags I feel pride and joy and something bigger. He is so sturdy and smooth and sweet. He does chew on my things, but I don't mind.

by Anonymousreply 807/31/2013

It's beyond selfish, OP. It's abuse.

Demand for many purebred breeds is behind the health problems that so many of them experience now. Pugs and English bulldogs did not used to have such extremely flat faces, which give them breathing problems, a hundred years ago. But owners' vanity and breeders' greed has resulted in disabilities and deformities galore. Another example is the hip dysplasia so common in German Shepherds now.

People need to stop and think before buying such breeds. If you do buy one YOU are causing animals to suffer.

by Anonymousreply 907/31/2013

[quote] All my dogs have been shelter dogs except for my Great Dane.

My first dog was a shelter dog. I named her Bootsie Gumdrops. Oh, wait. That was a cat. Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 1007/31/2013

WTF R8?

by Anonymousreply 1107/31/2013

Sorry R11. I meant to say that HE exhibited so many problems... etc.

Thanks for catching my typo. You must be a purebred.

My mutt is so much better a companion and cost his breeders next to nothing to raise. Just some rice and beans I think. I got him for free. He is now properly weaned, spoiled and learns new tricks everyday. I love that angel-faced puppy boy!

by Anonymousreply 1207/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.