Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is the best way to store strawberries for a few days?

Supermarket had a BOGO. I don't want them to go bad.

Thanks for your help.

by Anonymousreply 1107/31/2013

Wash them, cut them up with a little sugar and put them in freezer bags...won't that work?

by Anonymousreply 107/31/2013

Turn them into a chunky berry syrup by macerating them. Rinse, trim off stems & any bruised bits, cut in fourths (or slice or chop if you prefer), put in large flat container, sprinkle with 2-3 tablespoons of white sugar per pound of berries, mix gently, cover, refrigerate 4 hours or more -- stir gently, cover, refrigerate up to 12 hours more (stirring every 4-6 hours) -- if not ready to eat, freeze berries & syrup. Serve over shortcakes or poundcake or cheesecake or ice cream, or pudding, or waffles, etc.

Or freeze them whole. Rinse, trim off stems & any bruised bits, set pointed end up on tray, cover loosely with plastic wrap, & freeze -- transfer to storage bag or container & keep in freezer.

Whatever you do, don't wash them until you're ready to prepare them or eat them -- keep them refrigerated in the container they came in (covered loosely with waxed paper or paper towels if the container is an open one) -- if they get wet, they'll mold.

by Anonymousreply 207/31/2013

As R2 said, don't wash until you're about to use them, and if you freeze them you can also put them in a blender with yogurt for instant 'ice cream' or use them in daquiris.

by Anonymousreply 307/31/2013

If you wash and sugar them they will keep twice as long as just refrigerated

by Anonymousreply 407/31/2013

You people who put sugar on strawberries must be fatties. They are sweet enough.

I do not refrigerate strawberries. I allow them to get deeply red and then either use them in the Vitamix or freeze them.

by Anonymousreply 507/31/2013

R5, that's fine if you don't live in a hot climate (or have air conditioning). Here, they'd rot by the end of the day if they weren't refrigerated.

by Anonymousreply 607/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 707/31/2013

I've heard they can last up to two days in your body if you eat them.

by Anonymousreply 807/31/2013

Sugar preserves their color and firmness.

by Anonymousreply 907/31/2013

Store them in your cheek pouches, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1007/31/2013

Don't listen to these posters. Pour apple cider vinegar over them and let sit for about 10 minutes; then rinse well and dry them. They will last about 10 days in the fridge.

by Anonymousreply 1107/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!