Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Strawberries

What is the best way to store strawberries for a few days?

Supermarket had a BOGO. I don't want them to go bad.

Thanks for your help.

by Anonymousreply 1107/31/2013

Wash them, cut them up with a little sugar and put them in freezer bags...won't that work?

by Anonymousreply 107/31/2013

Turn them into a chunky berry syrup by macerating them. Rinse, trim off stems & any bruised bits, cut in fourths (or slice or chop if you prefer), put in large flat container, sprinkle with 2-3 tablespoons of white sugar per pound of berries, mix gently, cover, refrigerate 4 hours or more -- stir gently, cover, refrigerate up to 12 hours more (stirring every 4-6 hours) -- if not ready to eat, freeze berries & syrup. Serve over shortcakes or poundcake or cheesecake or ice cream, or pudding, or waffles, etc.

Or freeze them whole. Rinse, trim off stems & any bruised bits, set pointed end up on tray, cover loosely with plastic wrap, & freeze -- transfer to storage bag or container & keep in freezer.

Whatever you do, don't wash them until you're ready to prepare them or eat them -- keep them refrigerated in the container they came in (covered loosely with waxed paper or paper towels if the container is an open one) -- if they get wet, they'll mold.

by Anonymousreply 207/31/2013

As R2 said, don't wash until you're about to use them, and if you freeze them you can also put them in a blender with yogurt for instant 'ice cream' or use them in daquiris.

by Anonymousreply 307/31/2013

If you wash and sugar them they will keep twice as long as just refrigerated

by Anonymousreply 407/31/2013

You people who put sugar on strawberries must be fatties. They are sweet enough.

I do not refrigerate strawberries. I allow them to get deeply red and then either use them in the Vitamix or freeze them.

by Anonymousreply 507/31/2013

R5, that's fine if you don't live in a hot climate (or have air conditioning). Here, they'd rot by the end of the day if they weren't refrigerated.

by Anonymousreply 607/31/2013

This

by Anonymousreply 707/31/2013

I've heard they can last up to two days in your body if you eat them.

by Anonymousreply 807/31/2013

Sugar preserves their color and firmness.

by Anonymousreply 907/31/2013

Store them in your cheek pouches, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1007/31/2013

Don't listen to these posters. Pour apple cider vinegar over them and let sit for about 10 minutes; then rinse well and dry them. They will last about 10 days in the fridge.

by Anonymousreply 1107/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.