Taylor Lautner

Sam Worthington

Alex Pettyfer

Skeet Ulrich

Gretchen Mol

Stephen Dorff

Josh Hartnett

by Anonymousreply 24008/04/2013

Failed? I could not work another day in my life and I've already made tens of millions of dollars from acting.

by Anonymousreply 107/31/2013

I think Colin Farrell is a bit unfair. He has big time name recognition and also some talent.. I'd expect an Oscar nod somewhere down the line. He just gets shit parts/movies.

Sam Worthington is fine for the mindless action films he's in.. he does alright, even if Joel Edgerton has kinda wiped him out.

lol @ Pettyfer and Kitsch. Lautner doesn't need to happen, he was in Shitlight which is enough and will last years.

Why only one female actor?

by Anonymousreply 207/31/2013

OP, you are an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 307/31/2013

Doesn't matter, Tay Tay. You'll still never have an A-list career.

by Anonymousreply 407/31/2013

I wish I have their "failures". I have truckloads of fangirls on IMDB and Datalounge but still unknown to the rest of the world. I wish I was Colin Farrell or Ryan Reynolds.

by Anonymousreply 507/31/2013

I agree with R2 - Colin's had lousy movies, and parts, but it still could happen or him, with the right part, & right film.

by Anonymousreply 607/31/2013

No I disagree. Colin chose to make those bad, big budget tentpoles hoping to become an A-list commodity and he failed. He still wants to do them but after his last big bomb last year, Total Recall, studios aren't buying. He was going to do a swords and sandals tent pole movie, but the studio scrapped it rather than have him star in it as it was too expensive and too risky.

by Anonymousreply 707/31/2013

re: Colin Farrell - I did however wish to see a lot more of him after watching Minority Report (which also has the distinction of being the last Tammy movie I will ever see in a theater).

by Anonymousreply 807/31/2013

R2, there's only one female because they were heavily interested in action movie flops. Women are rarely the lead character of an action film.

by Anonymousreply 907/31/2013

I wouldn't count Colin Farrell out just yet. This year [italic] Winter's Tale[/italic] co-starring Russell Crowe, Will Smith, Jennifer Conolly and Matt Bomer will be released. He will also costar to Tom Hanks in [italic] Saving Mr. Banks[/italice]. Most of the other actors on that list have a cute look and a signature role - Colin has solid talent.

by Anonymousreply 1007/31/2013

They keep on trying and failing to make Olivia Wilde happen. So there's an actress for you.

by Anonymousreply 1107/31/2013

Chris O'Donnell should be on the list as well he was gonna be the next big thing in the 90s after Batman Forever. They even put him as the lead with Sandra Bullock in In Love and War

Now he's doing TV

by Anonymousreply 1207/31/2013

.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 1307/31/2013

Why did you do that, R14, when this is a brand new thread with recent replies?

by Anonymousreply 1407/31/2013

McBongo owns this thread.

No one has had more buzz around the time of.A Time to Kill, followed by so few big hits.

by Anonymousreply 1607/31/2013

Yeah, but McBongo has turned his career around lately. They even mentioned in the article that he would have been a prime candidate a few years ago. And is r16 some joke that I don't get?

by Anonymousreply 1707/31/2013

r17 What year are you living in? He's got critical acclaim on his side now after the much better film choices he's made over the past few years. No more of that rom-com shit, at least for now.

by Anonymousreply 1807/31/2013

Loren Dean (remember him?), star of "Billy Bathgate" (remember that?) owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1907/31/2013

Colin could go the McBoingo route and actually become a real actor. I don't know that you could say that about anyone else on that list.

by Anonymousreply 2007/31/2013

Freddie Prinze Jr

by Anonymousreply 2107/31/2013

I was closing the italics tag, r15.

by Anonymousreply 2207/31/2013

Thank you R14/R23.

by Anonymousreply 2307/31/2013

Tailor Lautner is among the highest paid celebrities, making $33.5 MILLION last year ALONE.

Add to that list real flops. Like remember when Milo Ventimiglia was getting big for a moment? poor guy

by Anonymousreply 2407/31/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 2507/31/2013

Shia LeBeuf!

by Anonymousreply 2607/31/2013

I'd say Reynolds and Farrell don't really belong on the list, as they have 'happened' to some extent, in that they've had multiple leading movie roles, and careers spanning years, even if they haven't become A-list.

I'd agree with all the others on OP's list, though.

by Anonymousreply 2707/31/2013

And there's a whole new slew of wannabes (names unknown as of now) who turned up in films being promoted at the recent Comic.con and TCA shows. Will we ever see their names again?

by Anonymousreply 2807/31/2013

>>

by Anonymousreply 2907/31/2013

r21, Farrell is already on his way there; after his initial Hollywood forey failed, he did a string of indie flicks, some of them pretty good, even winning a well-deserved Golden Globe for "In Bruges" -- which I had hoped would land him an Oscar nod, but no luck. I'm guessing he thought that would give him re-entry to Hollywood big time, but he made some bad choices. He should go back to indie flicks while searching for good supporting roles in the occasional Hollywood fair.

by Anonymousreply 3007/31/2013

I remember, R20 . Yes, he was shortly beleived to be the next "jeune premier". But did Hollywood really tried to make him happen, offering him preeminebt roles time and time again? As far as I know, Billy Bathgate was his only "big" role.

by Anonymousreply 3107/31/2013

I know people are going to say Kate Hudson happened, but in my opinion she never hit A-list. She was a solid B leaning towards B+, but I don't think she ever achieved Roberts/Jolie/Bullock/Foster ranking.

Oh and did anyone mention Jude Law? He was crammed down our throats, we were supposed to love him but I don't think it ever happened no matter how many films he was cast in those three or so years.

by Anonymousreply 3207/31/2013

"no matter how many films he was cast in those three or so years"

Are you posting from 2007, R33?

by Anonymousreply 3307/31/2013

The whole world knows Kate Hudson and her parents, Jude Law, Colin Farrell, and Tay Lautner. I don't know what "happen" means anymore.

by Anonymousreply 3407/31/2013

Josh Hartnett

by Anonymousreply 3507/31/2013

Josh Brolin hasn't "happened"?

by Anonymousreply 3607/31/2013

No Justin Timberlake?

by Anonymousreply 3707/31/2013

I thought Colin Farrell happened. He certainly has the looks, talent and charisma. And the bad boy persona doens't hurt either.

Josh Hartnett happened for a short while. What a terrible actor, though. Wasn't he just a younger, talentless Tommy Lee Jones lookalike?

Rest of the list is pretty accurate.

by Anonymousreply 3807/31/2013

McBongo is very decent as an actor. I never liked his looks (struggled to see what was attractive in him in the beginning, then gave it up and actually enjoy his movies). He makes pretty good choices nowadays. Lincoln Lawyer was very good entertainment fare, good actors all around (even Ryan Philippe was decently used).

by Anonymousreply 3907/31/2013

This thread is useless without Jake Gyllenhaal being mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 4007/31/2013

Jude Law happened. He may be over now, but he had his moment on the A-List, and was a serious Oscar contender for a while. Same with Colin Farrell, minus the Oscar-quality movies. If you mention either of their names to someone on the street, they will know who you’re talking about. The same can’t be said for Stephen Dorff, Gretchen Mol, or some of the other actors on OP’s list.

by Anonymousreply 4107/31/2013

BILLY BATHGATE

OMG Loren Dean! I only knew his face (from the movie poster), never knew his name. I wanted to see Billy Bathgate! Never did. Was it any good? What was that film like? Very early nineties? So bad no one could recall? It certainly hasn't been mentioned since.

And Loren Dean is the face of Ethan Hawke's older cop brother in Gattaca, nothing more. And again, a name I'll forget.

by Anonymousreply 4207/31/2013

Jake Gyllenhaal happened too. He was almost big-big-time.

by Anonymousreply 4307/31/2013

That blonde chicke from Grey's Anatomy. I don't even remember her name.

by Anonymousreply 4407/31/2013

Shia leBoeuf isn't on that list yet, but hopefully soon!

by Anonymousreply 4507/31/2013

Jude Law was mentioned in Farrell's bit. They said he happened, faltered, and then landed on his feet as a character actor. Whether you agree is in the eye of the beholder. Also, Law is an Oscar nominee. Farrell never had that.

Gyllenhaal happened, he just wasn't able to sustain it. He was everywhere 06-10. He's still a good candidate to turn it around, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 4607/31/2013

Josh Hartnett has a disturbing neck mole. That is why he fails.

by Anonymousreply 4707/31/2013

Did Tobey Maguire ever happen?

by Anonymousreply 4807/31/2013

Jude Law seriously happened late nineties-early 2000s. Not always leading man, but excellent parts in well-remembered movies. He's over now because he's finally lost his hair, but he still did very well IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 4907/31/2013

why didn't I happen?

by Anonymousreply 5007/31/2013

Wasn't that Heigl? She happened, except everybody hated her. I've seen worse.

by Anonymousreply 5107/31/2013

Gyllenhaal is still an unknown to many outside the U.S, and especially the to the older generation. He's not known globally like Tay Lautner and Jude Law.

by Anonymousreply 5207/31/2013

Jude Law has major name recognition, so hasbeen now but did happen. He was awful in Contagion.

Katherine Heigl per r45 did really well in romcoms but sadly stuck to that. She isn't any worse than most of that ilk so could do more, but doesn't want to a la Aniston.

Shia by his own admission was in movies that couldn't fail regardless of who was in them. Lol @ him going the Lars Von Trier route.

by Anonymousreply 5307/31/2013

[quote]And there's a whole new slew of wannabes (names unknown as of now) who turned up in films being promoted at the recent Comic.con and TCA shows. Will we ever see their names again?

Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus?

by Anonymousreply 5407/31/2013

Lautner is only known because of Twilight, and that will be over soon. I doubt the older generation knows his name unless they have children. Gyllenhaal was much ore interesting and a far better actor.

Maggie made the right choices, it turns out (not that she had any, being a woman and all).

by Anonymousreply 5507/31/2013

Viggo Mortensen was thisclose.

by Anonymousreply 5607/31/2013

Given that we all know who these people are and that with few if any exceptions they are rich - some of them extremely rich - and continue to work, I think they've happened, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5707/31/2013

My beloved Brandon Routh. :-(

by Anonymousreply 5807/31/2013

R59, I thought you liked Randon Bouth?

by Anonymousreply 5907/31/2013

Haaaaa... Viggo Mortensen happened, but only to the arthouse bad boy crowd. It's like saying Harvey Keitel never happened.

by Anonymousreply 6007/31/2013

Colin Farrell is a better actor than Jude Law, but he lost a number of his early years to alcoholism during which he would have been building his career. I think he can still do well. In Bruges was an excellent choice. Desperation will never be a good reason for choosing a role.

Jude Law had some good roles, but I wish someone better had been cast in most of those roles.

Hopefully Jake G will make smarter choices (like Matt McC). Please no more PoP debacles.

by Anonymousreply 6107/31/2013

"They tried and failed?"

"They tried and died."

by Anonymousreply 6207/31/2013

Reading the article OP posted, I couldn't help but smirk at Dorff and Pettyfer's delusionnal arrogance and general douchiness. Wow, talk about cautionnary tales.

By the way, I remember when Dorff was supposed to be the next intense young Oscar actor. Never happened, though.

by Anonymousreply 6307/31/2013

Ewan McGregor.

by Anonymousreply 6407/31/2013

Might as well add Kyle MacLachlan, R63.

by Anonymousreply 6507/31/2013

I hope Anna Kendrick. I really don't get what anyone sees in her. And I don't like her face.

She was going to be the female lead in Zach Braff's Kickstarter movie but it ended up being Ashley Greene, who is far hotter in my opinion. And since they're only playing Manic Pixie Dream Girl anyway... Who cares who's the better actor.

by Anonymousreply 6607/31/2013

I really hope Mortensen gets further. The best American actor.

by Anonymousreply 6707/31/2013

Jude Law had the beauty of a fallen angel, once of heaven but then condemned to be among mere mortals who were not worthy of his presence. His beauty declined so rapidly, showing him to be mortal, that his appeal as a leading man just as quickly faded. Now he has the face, and fortunately the skills, of a character actor.

by Anonymousreply 6807/31/2013

Hello!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6907/31/2013

Coklin F's choices must have been crap, because I've only seen him in 3 movies when I lost count of all the movies I saq JudeL in, and I was not even a fan. I felt he was very good in all of them except Holiday (how can he be believable as any type of decent man? He's a scoundrel)

by Anonymousreply 7007/31/2013

R67, you are bitching about anyone else's looks in a Zack Braff movie? Good god.

by Anonymousreply 7107/31/2013

Oh, and to those who are adressing OP because they question the list, read again, the list comes from a site he links in his post.

Don't shoot the messenger.

by Anonymousreply 7207/31/2013

Ha, I'd say Ewan McGregor happened in Scotland, happened in Europe, happened in arthouse movies where he was the star. It was a big mistake going to Hollywood and doing those Star Wars movies and the such. He's a cute thing, not a very good actor. And he cannot pass as American, he is so very Scottish!! Sometimes he's surprisingly good, but he can also be very bad.

by Anonymousreply 7307/31/2013

Anna Kendrick looks like the first "ETOG" threat of the 2010's. Who'd have thought that an ingenue Oscar nom not named AnnE would have a top 10 hit on Billboard from a rather slight film's soundtrack? She will be around for the long haul.

Pettyfer does have talent and his American accent was flawless in "Magic Mike". Too bad his well-documented attitude problem seems to have stalled his career while fellow U.K. actors even younger than him seem to be surpassing him in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 7407/31/2013

Replace Colin Farrell with Gerard Butler.

by Anonymousreply 7507/31/2013

Point taken.

The worst part is, Braff looks like one of my exes, who is a girl. Terrifying how much so.

by Anonymousreply 7607/31/2013

There is a long list of British actors ending with Jude Law but including:

Jeremy Northam

Clive Owen

Kristin Scott Thomas

James Purefoy

Ralph Fiennes

Joseph Fiennes

Colin Firth

They each had about 2-3 years where they seemed to star in every important serious film....and then disappeared.

I suspect if Daniel Craig wasn't playing 007, he'd be on that list by now.

by Anonymousreply 7707/31/2013

EGOT

by Anonymousreply 7807/31/2013

Most of the people in the OP's list are working actors with big films to their names and millions of dollars in their bank accounts.

by Anonymousreply 7907/31/2013

Hidalgo killed Viggo's career that Eastern Promises couldn't quite revive.

by Anonymousreply 8007/31/2013

[quote]They each had about 2-3 years where they seemed to star in every important serious film....and then disappeared.

But all of these people are major stars! They may have had their peak and no longer be what they were, but they all got farther than most actors ever will.

by Anonymousreply 8107/31/2013

Poor thing, R77.

by Anonymousreply 8207/31/2013

Fact remains that Viggo is an OSCAR NOMINEE. How many actors can say that?

Was also in one of the most successful film trilogies of all time.

These lits are always stupid because almost everyone on them is very successful.

by Anonymousreply 8307/31/2013

Did anyone mention Billy Zane yet?

by Anonymousreply 8407/31/2013

Clive Owen is happening, much to my chagrin because I don't like him.

Kristin Scott Thomas happened in France, big time. Perhaps not so much now, but she certainly did, and for way more than ten years which is a lot for an actor.

Ralph Fiennes very much happened, he was everywhere for some six or seven years! And then he seriously lost his hair. Fantastic actor, and that voice!

Joseph Fiennes didn't happen.

Colin Firth happens once in a while, every five or six years. I tell myself stories about Valmont and how it was his downfall. Something about his personal life I'm sure. He was so carefree and then seemed like he was in constant pain.

by Anonymousreply 8507/31/2013

r78, Colin Firth, really?!? He just hit the peak of his career, something many thought was impossible for him.

Kristin Scott is doing very well in French films thank you very much, she found her calling there.

Of that list only Joseph Fiennes, James Purefoy and Jeremy Northam are nobodies whose own parents wouldn't even recognize them.

by Anonymousreply 8607/31/2013

Billy Zane never happened, not by a long shot. Dude is creepy.

by Anonymousreply 8707/31/2013

Come on! Ralph Finnes got an Oscar nom and still gets invited to be in Prestige movies. He could do a lot worse.

What's more Hollywood didn't try to make him happen specifically, shoving him down our throats.

I do remember when Hollywood decided that Skeet Ulrich was a Star. A star who could open a movie. Nothing against the guy, but again, come on!

by Anonymousreply 8807/31/2013

Still to this day I tend to confuse Skeet Ulrich and Stephen Dorff. Ulrich fared even worse than Dorff did, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 8907/31/2013

All these hot talented guys, and yet Hollywood consistently gives us the Will Ferrels and Adam Sandlers of the world. WTF

by Anonymousreply 9007/31/2013

I swear I have no idea who "Skeet Ulrich" is, I knew the name but I was confusing him with Tom Skerrit so had to look him up.

I did like Dorff's minor comeback in Somewhere. Elle Fanning and Sophia Coppolla even if off form is better than nothing.

by Anonymousreply 9107/31/2013

Many of the Brit actors happened, but they are no longer happening.

by Anonymousreply 9207/31/2013

If you didn't see the first Scream movie, there is no way you can know who Skeet Ulrich was. And I'm not even sure if it was him or Dorff in As Good as it Gets... Maybe neither, was it Greg Kinnear and that's it? No I'm pretty sure it was... Ulrich? Possibly his one and only comeback.

by Anonymousreply 9307/31/2013

I hope Sam Worthington comes back. I find him very attractive.

by Anonymousreply 9407/31/2013

R94, one of your voices is correct.

by Anonymousreply 9507/31/2013

r90 Ahem, are you forgetting someone?

by Anonymousreply 9607/31/2013

Also I fear Mads Mikkelsen took Viggo Mortensen's spot.

To think I saw that dreadful De Palma movie called Carlito's Way (how is Al Pacino Puerto Rican I'd like to know????), and the only decent actor of the bunch apart from Luis Guzman was... Viggo Mortensen, truly excellent playing with the accent and everything. Well done.

by Anonymousreply 9707/31/2013

Poor double Oscar winner Sean Penn, r98!

by Anonymousreply 9807/31/2013

Why isn't Miss Ronald Regan #1? Go figure queens.

by Anonymousreply 9907/31/2013

Of course Oliphant deserves to be on the list, and should be confused with the other two, but his name is too different. Also he was lucky to be cast as a drug dealer in that GO movie by Doug "Bourne" Liman (did he have blue hair in that? Perhaps. or maybe just spikey hair), and that's why I remember him.

He also had that storyline with boy Stewart in the Safety of Objects, and again I remember him from that. But mostly the GO movie.

Was he supposed to happen? On what level ? Did Hollywood really try? Because the two films I know him from are semi-indie, and apart from that there's that TV show, with or without Kathy Bates... Not exactly mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 10007/31/2013

Regarding Ralph Fiennes, R69 wrote, "What's more Hollywood didn't try to make him happen specifically, shoving him down our throats."

Actually, there was a brief period when he was being shoved down our throats. This was after his awesomely-crafted and widely-praised performance in that piece of sentimental schmaltz called "Schindler's List". He was on magazine covers. I recall one cover of GQ where he looked gorgeous that read, "Strange Days will make Ralph Fiennes a Star". I wasn't "Will Strange Days make Ralph Fiennes a Star?" It was a declaration. They were wrong.

by Anonymousreply 10107/31/2013

Both Colin Farrell and Ryan Reynolds happened. They didn't have the stamina to endure, though.

by Anonymousreply 10207/31/2013

I had forgotten Sean Penn was in the movie, to be honest (must be the hair). What a terrible, terrible movie. Dahlia was even worse. That's when I vowed out of De Palma forever.

by Anonymousreply 10307/31/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 10407/31/2013

Ralph Fiennes was never a star like Cruise or Pitt (let's not even compare acting abilities), but I certainly went to see everything he was in for a while.

Not because of magazine covers.

He truly was magnetic.

by Anonymousreply 10507/31/2013

Ralph Fiennes is hung like a donkey. I should know.

by Anonymousreply 10607/31/2013

Olyphant has carved a decent career as a character actor, specialising in villains, one the public may know the face but not the name of. I think more could be done with his looks.

by Anonymousreply 10707/31/2013

Ryan Reynbolds never happened. Who knows who he is? Nobody cares. His movies can so easily be avoided, Jason Bateman happened more than he did.

by Anonymousreply 10807/31/2013

If Ryan Reynolds had happened, Green Lantern would have been a hit.

by Anonymousreply 10907/31/2013

R109=Jason Bateman

by Anonymousreply 11007/31/2013

And Olyphant has a nice name, making it very recognisable. That face is distinctive enough too. And he's a decent actor. He's better off playing villains, those parts are much more intreresting anyway.

by Anonymousreply 11107/31/2013

r109 Do you know a good divorce lawyer?

by Anonymousreply 11207/31/2013

R105, why did you bump a thread that had two responses a minute before your bump?

by Anonymousreply 11307/31/2013

R107, "Voldemort" is French for "Dick of death." True story.

by Anonymousreply 11407/31/2013

And who decided Jason Bateman needed to happen? He's carved an inexplicable career as a WASP with the character traits of a stereotypical wimpy, nebbish, Jewish guy.

The only ones who appear to care are people in Hollywood. The rest of the world shrugs. Put a broomstick in his place and no one would know the difference.

by Anonymousreply 11507/31/2013

Sophia, that is hilarious except it would be Vitdemort. We'd like to believe it though!

by Anonymousreply 11607/31/2013

Speaking of which, Justine Bateman aged so terribly. What the hell happened? Truth is I'd rather not know.

by Anonymousreply 11707/31/2013

r118 I pounded the elastic out of it.

by Anonymousreply 11807/31/2013

Who opens movies now on name alone? I can't think of one person who is fail proof.

by Anonymousreply 11907/31/2013

R102, that makes me think of Movieline having Jennifer Jason Leigh on the cover in 1992 billed as "Future Oscar Winner". I remember thinking, "Hardly!"

by Anonymousreply 12007/31/2013

She should be, r121. She should be. :( Being fucking nominated would be a start.

by Anonymousreply 12107/31/2013

I will always be amazed that Three Six Mafia has an Oscar and Jennifer Jason Leigh has never even been nominated.

by Anonymousreply 12207/31/2013

That Don Johnson lookalike from the "Papa Don't Preach" video...

(off to google)

...Alex McArthur, yeah, him.

Also, Charlie, "One (loud, obnoxious)-Note" Day.

by Anonymousreply 12307/31/2013

R68, Viggo is very talented. Hidalgo did not help his post LOTR career but his work with Cronenberg did remind the world he can act. It seems to me he went out his way to avoid blockbuster movies, thus, why he is not a bigger name today. Jennifer Jason Leigh is a very good actress, I am surprised she did not get an Oscar nod.

by Anonymousreply 12407/31/2013

I'm with R124. I fucking hate Charlie Day.

by Anonymousreply 12507/31/2013

Despite his better, recent choices--and DL's resident historical revisionists--McBongo was the "next big thing" who never amounted to much.

Nice that he's appreciated now, though.

by Anonymousreply 12607/31/2013

Why do so many people like to beat up on real actors?

There are a number of people mentioned such as Law, Mortenson, Farrell and Fiennes who have done really excellent work for a long time. Why should they be sneered at? If they've gained any fame, it was from good or interesting acting and not for some mindless series of publicity grabs. So why should anybody look down on them or see it as some comeuppance humiliation when the first burst of fame inevitably fades?

Yeah sometimes the studios push certain dubious young newbies as the next new stars and it doesn't take but that's a different kettle of neurotic fish.

The business of fame and the business of acting are two separate things. It's not fair to some actors that we are all so fame obsessed these days.

by Anonymousreply 12707/31/2013

[quote]Most of the people in the OP's list are working actors with big films to their names and millions of dollars in their bank accounts

We aren't measuring household income here.

by Anonymousreply 12807/31/2013

I don't think Hollywood ever tried to make Olyphant happen. He's never really been in big budget features other than one of the Die Hards (which is Bruce's show). Plus he is content being a "working" actor. He'll do the talk shows to promote his work, but keeps his family out of the spotlight at all costs.

by Anonymousreply 12907/31/2013

Elizabeth Berkley

by Anonymousreply 13007/31/2013

Ryan Phillippe, who hasn't had a decent gig in years.

by Anonymousreply 13107/31/2013

R131

As if anyone could ever happen more than starring in that great television masterpiece Saved By The Bell; playing the complex role of Jesse Spano (honor student/Slater's girlfriend/feminist/dance phenom/substance abuser).

"I'm so excited"

by Anonymousreply 13207/31/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 13307/31/2013

r134 Bingo. His films barely make a buck.

by Anonymousreply 13407/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 13507/31/2013

r136 Big deal. I killed the Tidy Bowl Man.

by Anonymousreply 13607/31/2013

I don't think Hollywood tried very hard to make Elizabeth Berkley happen. She got just the one shot with Showgirls, and then promptly became a laughing stock.

by Anonymousreply 13707/31/2013

Everybody on this list is a working actor. Most of them have been doing it a long time. Not everybody is meant to be a super-star. Nothing wrong with being just a working actor.

by Anonymousreply 13807/31/2013

Julia Ormond

Michael O'Keefe

Timothy Hutton

by Anonymousreply 13907/31/2013

R139 Darling, I believe that you're missing the point of the thread.

by Anonymousreply 14007/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 14107/31/2013

Steven Bauer

Joseph Fiennes

Billy Campbell

Claire Forlani

Greg Kinnear

Ray Liotta

Julia Ormond

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio

Ekizabeth McGovern

by Anonymousreply 14207/31/2013

Steven Bauer is pure fuckability

by Anonymousreply 14307/31/2013

I think some of these actors have held back stardom because they weren't interested in doing the types of movies that make you a big star. I'd put Viggo in that camp, and Gosling is famous for resisting mainstream Hollywood films. Most of the stuff he does is art house city. I think Olyphant was smart, found much better roles on TV in Deadwood and Justified, and is making a nice career there.

But some of these guys, especially Brits, were heavily pushed to be stars. Ralph Fiennes, for sure, was given the star treatment, but couldn't sell a thing, so he started doing more character stuff again. No one got faster star treatment than Colin Farrell-he was cast in big roles after Joel Schumacher showed other directors dailies of Farrell in Tiger Land. He landed like five major movies before Tiger Land was even released. Ewan McGregor and Jude Law definitely went the stardom route and failed. Ewan can't do an American accent, and Law just doesn't have the charisma, plus he let himself go bald, and he is not a sexy bald man. All these guys continue to work because they can act, but Hollywood was hoping they would be more.

And. I think male actors more than ever are finding themselves getting aged out of roles. Guys like Fiennes and Clive Owen are now in their 50's, and the leads are going more to men 30 to 45. The superhero hero craze isn't allowing male stars to maintain their stardom as long as they used to, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 14407/31/2013

Yes, R140! WHET Timothy Hutton?

by Anonymousreply 14507/31/2013

Most actors have a 5-7 year shelf life. Then they struggle - there's always the new next hot younger thing. For both men and women.

by Anonymousreply 14607/31/2013

Gosling doesn't make movies that are supposed to be blockbusters. Also, he has severall excellent performances on his resume.

by Anonymousreply 14707/31/2013

Ewan's American accent really is appalling. I've always found him extremely wooden but I liked him in Beginners/the film so didn't mind the accent and he finally gave a performance I loved in The Impossible, on a par with Watts brilliance.

by Anonymousreply 14807/31/2013

As much as it pains me to say it: Zac Efron.

by Anonymousreply 14907/31/2013

Nepotism gives you an extra three or four years.

by Anonymousreply 15007/31/2013

Ewan McGregor was always eye candy. He shouldn't have left Europe, though. America is not his thing. I started watching the Men who stared at Goats and kept thinking: what???? It wasn't just his accent, even his posture, his size, the way he looks... He couldn't be more European/Scottish if he tried.

by Anonymousreply 15108/01/2013

Well I think Colin Farrell shouldn't be on the original list. There are guys like him, or Jude Law who I happen to like a lot, or Ewan McGregor, James McAvoy, and even Jake Gyllenhaal McBongo, and Ryan Gosling, who have sort of plateaued.

They're in that second tier, not the big guns, not Leo or Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, or Pitt, or even Tom Hanks or Clooney, or but they are very good actors, have made some bad choices, but still are actors who are respected and generally liked, and have a fan base.

There's sort of an ebb and flow to it all anyone I named in that second tier could get struck by lightning and get another acting nomination. I feel bad Clive Owen didn't happen because I really like him. But look at Ben Affleck. He resurrected his career in spectacular style. With The Town and with Argo, he proved two things: He can't act, and he's a really good director.

by Anonymousreply 15208/01/2013

R78 Those actors are on stage most of the time. They have classical training from theater schools like the Royal Academy. They don't really need Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 15308/01/2013

R145 is the only one right about Viggo Mortensen. The man has been consistently acting since the late 80s and if you look at the movies he's done, they appear to be deliberately chosen. If Viggo wanted to, he could have gone all the way, but he chose not to and worked on projects that were smaller and more cerebral. Give the man credit where credit is due.

by Anonymousreply 15408/01/2013

Julia Ormond

by Anonymousreply 15508/01/2013

Jason Patric. Hollywood really tried to push him in the 90s and audiences did not take to him.

Matthew Modine aged unsuccessfully out of sweet young man parts.

Ryan Phillippe, again.

Ryan Reynolds is a bland hunk with no spark.

by Anonymousreply 15608/01/2013

JT

by Anonymousreply 15708/01/2013

All of the people the bitter OP listed make a very good living as actors. They make and continue to make more money than most people even can hope for doing something they at least enjoy.

Because they are not international film box office stars the OP has designated them "failures"

Some of the best actors, the most talented actors on the planet never became or never cared about becoming the next Julia Roberts or the next Robert Redford.

OP's premise is hopelessly ignorant, bitter and arrogant.

The DL Trifecta!

by Anonymousreply 15808/01/2013

R159 - it was from a link. OK, dearest?

The OP just copied and pasted.

Now fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 15908/01/2013

You miss the point r159. This is not about working actors but actors who were heavily promoted as the next big thing by Hollywood, to which audiences responded with a collective yawn.

by Anonymousreply 16008/01/2013

R159, the OP did not assemble that list; the writers of the article cited did.

Please do try to keep up, dear.

by Anonymousreply 16108/01/2013

This reminds me of when I read Helter Skelter. Bugliosi talks about Sharon's friend, "the actress Joanna Petit." in parentheses, he noted that she was "Mrs Alex Cord." I was like, huh? Did she play a role in a famous movie where her character was Mrs Alex Cord, like "McCabe and Mrs. Miller"?

No. Alex Cord was one of those "stars" who was going to happen any day now back in 1969.

He looked like a 70s porn star in this Italian horror film

by Anonymousreply 16208/01/2013

ARMIE HAMMER

by Anonymousreply 16308/01/2013

I can't believe they didn't include Jake Gyllenhaal in the list.

by Anonymousreply 16408/01/2013

I see the Armie Hammer/Robin Thicke Troll has finally shown up.

by Anonymousreply 16508/01/2013

Wasn't Jason Patric quite obnoxious?

by Anonymousreply 16608/01/2013

He either is or was addicted to narcotics, R167.

by Anonymousreply 16708/01/2013

r140 has the three best examples in this thread. I remember when "Legends of the Fall" and the horrible "Sabrina" remake were released; Gene Siskel practically creamed his pants over Julia Ormand, daring to compare her to Ingrid Bergman.

by Anonymousreply 16808/01/2013

No one compares to Ingrid Bergman.

by Anonymousreply 16908/01/2013

I think we used to have a thread on 90's actors who never happened.

It's kind of interesting to see old Movieline or Vanity Fair Hollywood issues and the actors who were hyped as the next big thing. Most of them were never heard from again.

by Anonymousreply 17008/01/2013

I love old Movieline issues with nobody actors (Jonathon Schaech...) being hyped and smaller mentions of actors who did make it big; I seem to remember those mags were right about Witherspoon (until recently) and Clooney.

by Anonymousreply 17108/01/2013

To the posters who signed as Blake Lively and Kate Hudson: W&W (the old standard) worthy, but not the format that makes sense for nomination. Wanted you to know you made me laugh, though, and made it worth wading through the now-ubiquitous assholes who crash every thread to tell other posters how stupid and wrong they are.

by Anonymousreply 17208/01/2013

[quote]No one compares to Ingrid Bergman.

One notable exception.

by Anonymousreply 17308/01/2013

I knew it! Still, Ingrid Bergman.

by Anonymousreply 17408/01/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 17508/01/2013

Robert Pattinson

by Anonymousreply 17608/01/2013

[quote]There are a number of people mentioned such as Law, Mortenson, Farrell and Fiennes who have done really excellent work for a long time. Why should they be sneered at?

I think a lot of the names mentioned are the One Hit Wonders of the acting world, people who got that one big role and were never heard from again, but I agree, most of them are people who continue to work, and except when it came to promoting their movies, Hollywood never really tried to make most of them happen.

Shia LaBeouf is the poster boy for this thread. Hollywood did try to shove him down our throats long before there was any obvious reason to do so.

Interesting that about 80% of the names tossed out so far are males.

by Anonymousreply 17708/01/2013

I liked carlito's Way, but yes, Al Pacino's accent was horrid.

by Anonymousreply 17808/01/2013

[quote]Like remember when Milo Ventimiglia was getting big for a moment? poor guy

Milo is in that Kidman Grace Kelly movie. He is just too hot to go away altogether, there will always be a place for him, if not the A list.

by Anonymousreply 17908/01/2013

Thank you, R159. You are a voice of reason.

by Anonymousreply 18008/01/2013

James Van Der Beek. He even tried a "comeback" last year in "Don't Trust the B. In Apt 3C", basically doing Neil Patrick Harris' act from the "Harold & Kumar" movies. That Frankenstein forehead will never make him a star.

by Anonymousreply 18108/01/2013

[quote]That Frankenstein forehead will never make him a star.

Will it never hindered NPH much.

by Anonymousreply 18208/01/2013

R159: That was an obvious linked article, not necessarily the OP's "bitter" opinion. What a bunch of crybabies there are trolling DL now. These actors don't give a fuck about you. This is a gossip forum! Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 18308/01/2013

Zac Efron owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 18408/01/2013

What R140, R156 and R157 said.

Also, R102, point taken

by Anonymousreply 18508/01/2013

The 1996 VF Hollywood issue makes this point quite well.

by Anonymousreply 18608/01/2013

I have this feeling that Jude Law got tired of being so handsome.

by Anonymousreply 18708/02/2013

That VF Hollywood '96 cover really makes me feel my age. God, all those guys were so young and fresh-looking. As was I, back then!

by Anonymousreply 18808/02/2013

[quote]To the posters who signed as Blake Lively and Kate Hudson: W&W (the old standard) worthy, but not the format that makes sense for nomination.

Yep... which is why W&W has always been bullshit. Not about funny, organic responses that amuse you in a thread, but "look at me" posts crafted to be funny out of their normal context.

by Anonymousreply 18908/02/2013

Jake Gyllenhaal was pushed hard, but he has no charisma and a flat, monotone way of speaking. He just didn't have the right stuff.

Shia Lebeouf was probably the most egregious case of an actor being pushed down our throats in recent memory. Not terribly attractive, one-note actor and major mental problems. I don't know what the Hollywood machine was thinking trying to push him as the next big thing.

Colin Farrell and Ewan McGregor, despite never quite reaching A-List status, will always get plenty of work.

by Anonymousreply 19008/02/2013

OMFG, R14/R114, could you stop with the friggin nagging already?

Jesus Christ, just relax and stop acting like such a friggin hall monitor, FFS!

by Anonymousreply 19108/02/2013

So who are all those guys on the VF cover at R188's link?

A couple of the non-famous ones are vaguely familiar, but others?

Left to right, I've got:

somebody kinda familiar

Leo [forgot how young he was back then!]

McBongo

Benicio Del Toro

another familiar guy [who reminds me of a thin Chris Penn]

Dorff

some nobody

David Arquette, roflmao

Will Smiff

and Johnny Depp-lookalike Skeet Ulrich

by Anonymousreply 19208/02/2013

The nobody is Jonathon Schaech, who was very good-looking in a beach-boy version of Peter Gallagher, and married Christina Applegate at some point.

by Anonymousreply 19308/02/2013

Russell Brand

by Anonymousreply 19408/02/2013

You mean Willy Brand?

by Anonymousreply 19508/02/2013

happen as fuckin WHAT? what julia roberts used to be. make all kinds of generic box office shit? the goal is to do good work, get acclaim, the oscar, keep working, work with auteurs... it's a lame statement "hollywood tried to make happen"

by Anonymousreply 19608/02/2013

Minnie Driver Andie MacDowell Eva Mendez

Basically, anyone now stuck for life in cosmetic commercials or television roles...

by Anonymousreply 19708/02/2013

Gosling gave some great performances earlier on in his career, but in the last 2 years all he does is make me yawn. I think people are catching up on the fact that he has no range and that he is a smug, fake douche.

Clive Owen ruined that Children of Men movie for me. He was so terrible in it. Watch the same thing happening with Gravity. Clooney and Bullock are not character actors and Clooney is one of the worst actors out there. Don't know why directors rather go for A-listers than talented, good actors. Ruins the whole movie.

by Anonymousreply 19808/02/2013

None of the actors on that list have any charisma what so ever. I still don't know why Hollywood tried to make Sam Worthington happen.

Taylor Lautner's problem is that he's to effeminate. I think it makes him endearing but it has't worked for him so far.

by Anonymousreply 19908/02/2013

For r194:

Tim Roth

Leo

McBongo

Benicio Del Toro

Michael Rappaport

Stephen Dorf

Jonathan Schaech

David Arquette

Will Smith

Skeet Ulrich

by Anonymousreply 20008/02/2013

I remember they were really pushing Skeet Ulrich. Hard.

Michael Rappaport is a blast from the past. Can't believe he ever warranted a Vanity Fair cover.

Oh, the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 20108/02/2013

Michael Rappaport... Who is this man??

by Anonymousreply 20208/02/2013

Speaking of Jonathan Schaech...weht him? He was one of the hottest guys to ever grace the screen (even though he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag)

by Anonymousreply 20308/02/2013

"Jake Gyllenhaal was pushed hard, but he has no charisma and a flat, monotone way of speaking. He just didn't have the right stuff."

Am I the only one here who likes him? I saw him in a movie he did when he was 19 or so called October Sky. He was charming and adorable in it. I also liked him in BBM. His problem is that Hollywood keeps trying to make him into a rom-com guy or an action star. He needs to stick to drama.

by Anonymousreply 20408/02/2013

Agreed, R206. Our cute Andrew Garfield is headed in a similar direction, but that is a topic for another thread.

by Anonymousreply 20508/02/2013

I liked Gyllenhaal in [italic]End of Watch[/italic]. Hollywood knows how to make money of blockbuster action movies and rom-coms, so they try to shove good-looking guys into those genres. It doesn't always work.

by Anonymousreply 20608/02/2013

[quote]Michael Rappaport... Who is this man??

My favorite role of his is the ebonics-spouting producer who thinks he understands black movie audiences in Spike Lee's "Bamboozled".

I seem to remember he had a relationship with Lili Taylor (another actor who didn't happen, although she deserved to) that ended very badly--as in, restraining order.

by Anonymousreply 20708/02/2013

Always loved Lili Taylor. She happened under the radar, shall we say. For some reason, I've always felt she was Italian or Portuguese (must be the Mystic Pizza element).

A restraining order... Good for her that he's out. His face transpires anger management issues.

by Anonymousreply 20808/02/2013

The only thing r159 was wrong about was who composed thistle stupid list.

The rest of you are wrong for taking the article and its premises seriously.

those people are all enjoying careers most would kill for.

by Anonymousreply 20908/02/2013

Have I happened?

by Anonymousreply 21008/02/2013

Liv Tyler.

by Anonymousreply 21108/02/2013

Be that as it may, Liv Tyler still happened more than Dorff or Ulrich.

by Anonymousreply 21208/02/2013

Has anyone added Hillary Swank to the list yet?

by Anonymousreply 21308/02/2013

Thanks, R202.

Holy crap, does Tim Roth ever look angry and dangerous in that pic! He looks soooo much better blonder and older.

I've seen Michael Rappaport around a few times, but couldn't remember his name or any specific roles. I picture him as being a sweet-natured young cop, trying to talk a bad cop out of doing bad things; has he ever done that?

Also, I'm pretty sure he voiced a character in one of the Grand Theft Auto games.

by Anonymousreply 21408/02/2013

Emile Hirsch - was the promising IT boy in Into the Wild, but tanked his career with Speed Racer.

by Anonymousreply 21508/02/2013

Ryan Reynolds as been in something like 39 movies, several TV shows, several made for TV movies, I hardly call that failed for a 37 year old actor. No he isn't an A list type actor that they build movies around but not sure I would call him anywhere near close to failed.

by Anonymousreply 21608/02/2013

[quote]No he isn't an A list type actor that they build movies around but not sure I would call him anywhere near close to failed.

Except that's exactly what Hollywood has been trying to do with Ryan for the last few years. Build a movie around him. But audiences failed to show up. He TRIED for the A-list but it just didn't happen. Which is what the thread is about.

by Anonymousreply 21708/02/2013

Jake Gyllenhaal was never really a talented actor.

Garret Hedlund is trying to make it, but he needs to pick better projects. Tron and On The Road were awful movies and he was not that great in them. I liked him a lot in Country Strong, never understood why that movie got such negative reviews. All the main leads were amazing and the soundtrack was terrific. Maybe there were some bumbs with the story, but overall I liked the movie a lot.

by Anonymousreply 21808/02/2013

I know none of you bitches have added me to this thread because THE ENTIRE WORLD cannot stop talking about me. Jealous?

by Anonymousreply 21908/02/2013

The entire world also talked about OJ Simpson, dear.

by Anonymousreply 22008/02/2013

Penelope Ann Miller

by Anonymousreply 22108/02/2013

Jonathan Schaech was a blindingly beautiful young man and a decent actor. He's totally off the radar now.

by Anonymousreply 22208/02/2013

[quote]Jason Patric. Hollywood really tried to push him in the 90s and audiences did not take to him.

Maybe, but he took to drugs and it killed his career.

by Anonymousreply 22308/03/2013

[quote] I liked him a lot in Country Strong, never understood why that movie got such negative reviews.

Me either. What could have turned off audiences?

by Anonymousreply 22408/03/2013

What about Tom Everett Scott, Jonathon Schaech's costar in That Thing You Do? He was supposed to be "The Next Tom Hanks" but he didn't really pan out.

by Anonymousreply 22508/03/2013

[quote]I think some of these actors have held back stardom because they weren't interested in doing the types of movies that make you a big star.

Where the FUCK do you get retarded ideas like this? Are you INSANE!? Actors who manage to get cast as ANYTHING in big Hollywood films have worked their asses off to get there, and there has NEVER EVER BEEN ONE who would not run over their own grandmother to be a big SUPERSTAR! You sound criminally naive.

by Anonymousreply 22608/03/2013

I don't think Jason Patric would have made it even without the drug issue. He was handsome, and was a pretty good actor, but he never showed star power in any role with the possible exception of The Lost Boys. He definitely got the big push, though that ended with the disastrous Speed sequel.

by Anonymousreply 22708/03/2013

Patric was also rumored to be a gargantuan asshole, which didn't help either.

by Anonymousreply 22808/03/2013

Alicia Silverstone

by Anonymousreply 22908/03/2013

What happened with Alicia Silverstone? She was, and then she wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 23008/04/2013

What happened to Alicia Silverstone? What happened to all these actors and 99% of all actors: they tried to become big stars and failed because only a tiny, tiny percentage of actors will ever be big stars. It's purely a number games and almost entirely random.

by Anonymousreply 23108/04/2013

Doesn't Matthew Perry own this thread?

by Anonymousreply 23208/04/2013

Diana Scarwid

by Anonymousreply 23308/04/2013

Many are listing actors/actresses with current careers that may just be in a slump at the moment.

That said, I would name Sam Rockwell.

by Anonymousreply 23408/04/2013

Was there really an effort to make Matthew Perry a big movie star? Or just a viable comic actor on the screen? That didn't work either, but there not quite the same efforts.

by Anonymousreply 23508/04/2013

Sam Rockwell may not be a big A-lister, but he sure will have along career.

by Anonymousreply 23608/04/2013

I would like to see a discussion about A listers who try to ACT and fail to accomplish that movie after movie.

Then we can talk about the REAL actors who tried to be A listers and failed.

by Anonymousreply 23708/04/2013

R235, I was waiting for Diana Scarwid's name to appear. Thank you.

Taylor Lautner happened. It was a short spell on the A-List, and I think his acting is disgraceful and laughable, but the fact is he was one of the three leads in one of film industry's biggest franchises.

Also unworthy of inclusion on this thread, because basically the statistics show that names themselves don't really open films anymore, with maybe a handful of exceptions, far less than H'wood would like to acknowledge: *Sam Worthington was the lead in "Avatar". He will be the lead in the sequel. How many actors would donate their left nut to the lead in these films? *Jude Law is doing more stage work, to great critical acclaim and financial success. He is happy being a character actor, and he's excellent, the real deal. Same can be said for Ralph Fiennes. Both will likely have Oscars on their shelves before all is said and done. *Colin Farrell. Fantastic in "In Bruges". He'll work as long as he wants to. He's very well-known as a name by the general public, and one right film role could catapult him to the first tier. *Sam Rockwell. Doesn't he think of himself as a character actor? (By the way, he's incredibly good in "The Way, Way Back".) He disappears so completely into his roles that it he sometimes is unrecognizable from one film to the next. A-List actors don't do that, but the great supporting ones do. *Timothy Olphant is doing great work on "Justified". And right now, great work on television mostly trumps the same on film, and certainly reaches a bigger audience. *Ryan Reynolds has been mismanaged. He's hilarious. Put him in the right comedy, and the magic will happen. *Why is anyone listing Jake G.? He won a BAFTA and has been an Osar nominee, in a seminal film. "End of Watch" and "Zodiac" were also excellent, and wasn't the crappy "The Day After Tomorrow" a big box office success? I think "Source Code" also did fairly well. *McBongo was doing well with Rom-Coms. He hated them, which made me respect him far more than I did initially, around "A Time to Kill" time, when the media worked OT to make him something. Turns out he's a character actor in a leading man's body, and right now he is doing great work. Really liked him in "Mud" and "Magic Mike". *Ryan Gosling obviously chooses not to be in studio dreck. And "Crazy, Stupid, Love" got lots of attention and made very decent money. And he was charming in it. *Anna Kendrick? Please. So talented. Oscar-nominated. And everyone who missed "Pitch Perfect" is now seeing it on demand, and loving it. It's become a cult film. (And has spawned a radio hit.) Add all that to the fact that she was a supporting player in the "Twilight" films. *Kristin Scott Thomas: working in England and France. Saw her in "Old Times" in the West End this past spring, and she was stunningly good. Got an Olivier nod. She's an actress of a certain age that Hollywood has no interest in, and she knows it, so she's found great work elsewhere.

This list should be dedicated to those actors who tried to make a flash but didn't have the charisma or talent or desire (Meg Tilly) to sustain it. And if Hayden Christensen hadn't done those shit "Star Wars" prequels, he would own this thread. (And he was so good in "Shattered Glass", which no one has seen.)

*Skeet Ulrich *Gretchen Mol *Stephen Dorff (but he still has gas in his tank) *Timothy Hutton (despite an Oscar) *Julia Ormond *Most of the cast of Grey's Anatomy, which should be very thankful for that show's residuals...

And what is going on with Casey Affleck?

by Anonymousreply 23808/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.