Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is the longest piece of writing, you've had to write?

I'm stuck writing an eight page essay. And my god, it's so hard to beef it up to eight pages. I'm half done the sixth page and I've been at it for the entire day. I think some people could finish it in like three hours. My god, that's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 6508/03/2013

Hmmmm... Yes. What year are you in?

by Anonymousreply 107/31/2013

Hate to break it to you but your use of extraneous commas is probably adding length.

by Anonymousreply 207/31/2013

Make all punctuation size 12.5.

by Anonymousreply 307/31/2013

Writing is as easy as taking a shit.

Now get in there and grunt, OP.

by Anonymousreply 407/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 507/31/2013

Working on a doctorate. Two twenty-page papers due every week. And next year it goes into overdrive.

by Anonymousreply 607/31/2013

Clearly, no one has ever taught you how to write if expanding your ideas to a meager 8-pages is a problem...

...either that or you have no thesis and nothing really interesting or relevant to say, and you're just talking out of your butt.

If you're up to it, we can do it paragraph by paragraph on DL.

What is your thesis?

by Anonymousreply 707/31/2013

Yes! Let's all work on OP's essay! I'm sure we'll do a great job. Help us OP.

by Anonymousreply 807/31/2013

Mine was an essay in school on the humour in Great Expectations. Unfortunately we were unable to locate any. Only had to be 4 pages long, but dear god it felt like 400.

by Anonymousreply 907/31/2013

Use a wider, larger type face. It'll expand the document a little, without breaking the teacher's rules about spacing and type size.

by Anonymousreply 1007/31/2013

Really r9. Humor, irony, satire, and language play are essentially what Dickens is about. It would be difficult to contain a paper in 4-pages using .25" margins and 6pt font.

by Anonymousreply 1107/31/2013

OP, you are not helping us much this far.

by Anonymousreply 1207/31/2013

I think R2 could actually learn a lot from OP about proper comma usage.

by Anonymousreply 1307/31/2013

A two-volume real estate manual - 800 pages, index, and bibliography.

by Anonymousreply 1407/31/2013

OP, writing can be hard and eight pages in one day is a lot. What is this for? School? University? Work? And, did you have to do prior research?

Really, r9, four pages is the longest thing you've ever written?

by Anonymousreply 1507/31/2013

OP we can help you and if research is needed we know how to use the internet. What's the essay about?

by Anonymousreply 1607/31/2013

[quote]Humor, irony, satire, and language play are essentially what Dickens is about.

Perhaps. But explaining someone else's jokes--especially if they didn't hit home for you--is always dreary business. I feel for that poster.

by Anonymousreply 1707/31/2013

I wrote chapters for two history books in the U.S. It wasn't difficult because I had done plenty of research before starting.

I also produced a 24-page booklet for a foreign embassy on research I did in their country. Apparently I knew more about the topic than anyone in that nation. I ended up getting a medal of honor from their president.

The funny thing is that I didn't do the research to write about the topic. I did the research to satisfy my own curiosity.

by Anonymousreply 1807/31/2013

R14, what's a "real estate manual"? Is it a manual on how to assemble real estate?

by Anonymousreply 1907/31/2013

The longest piece of writing I had to write was my Master's Thesis. It's a couple hundred pages if I remember correctly.

I've also written two unpublished novels that are in the 300 page range (in Word doubles paced etc.)

by Anonymousreply 2007/31/2013

I've written multiple Business Plans over the decades . . . all hundreds of pages based on lots and lots of work to find all the statistics and financial forecasts.

Most new businesses that fail will tell you business plans are not worth the time. Most that succeed will have put months into writing a proper plan.

by Anonymousreply 2107/31/2013

A textbook to take the course and get the license in my state, r19.

by Anonymousreply 2207/31/2013

Thank you, Barney at R22.

by Anonymousreply 2307/31/2013

Far, far longer than eight pages.

OP, if you are having difficulty filling the essay you probably need to step back and give what you are writing on and what you want to write about it (to the extent you do want to write about it, if not, pretend that you do) a lot more thought.

by Anonymousreply 2407/31/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2507/31/2013

A better question would be: how long are our collective dicks?

by Anonymousreply 2607/31/2013

i can easily write a 10 page paper on a good topic.

if its a boring one i'm lucky to write a 2 page paper.

by Anonymousreply 2707/31/2013

I've written 10 pages essays in one morning, having nothing written the night before.

You're thinking of it as a whole paper. Think of it was 4 two page papers or 8 1 page papers. Break it up.

by Anonymousreply 2807/31/2013

Sorry. When I said break it up, I meant conceptually. One topic might be one page, another 2 pages, another 3, one half a page, etc etc. The conclusion/summary at the end and the intro in the beginning can be a page themselves (total).

by Anonymousreply 2907/31/2013

I've written manuals at work which were probably around fifty pages or so, but included illustrations. In college the longest paper I wrote was about sixteen pages, I wrote about male sexual encounters in 'tea rooms' and other public places. Here is the title, and I'm not kidding:

Glory, Glory Hole-alleluia: An Examination of Male Same-Sex Encounters in Public Places.

I got an A!

by Anonymousreply 3007/31/2013

My brother also aces his creative writing classes as long as he sticks to sexy topics.

by Anonymousreply 3107/31/2013

R30, did you do the examining yourself?

by Anonymousreply 3207/31/2013

R32, it was for a gay studies elective and I did have (ahem) first hand experience. That's how the paper was so interesting to write, I was fascinated with the whole subculture. I'm not proud that I cruised tearooms and glory holes, but my mind was in a different place back then. I didn't think I could ever openly be gay. I gained a little insight into myself doing the research, so despite the campy title the whole thing was worth it.

by Anonymousreply 3307/31/2013

R11, R15 - humour and essay length are both notoriously subjective.

Jesus, you two have typewriters up your asses. What are you, mummified Victorians?

by Anonymousreply 3407/31/2013

My master's thesis was 435 pages. I miss writing essays. Right now I'm trying to learn a new web design program so I can launch a web site to review an discuss books, movies and television; as well as feature stories about local history and conspiracy type topics. I don't know if I'll link to it on DL, there are lots of nice people here, but an outspoken few are cruel and hostile.

A tip for you OP is to use Wikipedia. Some teachers don't allow it and I don't recommend citing it, but I find that it is full of useful links that you can use. Most entries are also laid out and structured very well. I can spend hours and hours online reading Wikipedia articles-I suppose it's my "guilty pleasure."

by Anonymousreply 3507/31/2013

My MA thesis clocked in around 220 pages without counting the references. That was back when 10 point Courier was required. My MS thesis was under 150 pages of text. My PhD proposal was around 40 pages. My dissertation is the monster in the box under my bed. I gave up around page 300 and hid it away. That was 10 years ago, and I haven't been kicked out yet. My friend defended 17 years after her exams so I guess I have some more time.

by Anonymousreply 3607/31/2013

i'm guessing only males are replying, otherwise they wouldn't be so concerned with size.

by Anonymousreply 3707/31/2013

R36 You can go back and pick up your Ph.d program after 10 years? I honestly did not know that. That could be good news for me. After I completed all of my coursework I had to drop out of my program because I developed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I thought that my chance was gone forever-maybe I can someday return.

I was just about to quit DataLounge, I'm glad I stayed long enough to read this thread!

by Anonymousreply 3807/31/2013

R28 has a good point, OP. Break it up into smaller topic "chunks" that you can thread together.

I once wrote a 20 page paper in about 3 days, plus having to catch up on all the research I really should have done weeks in advance. It wasn't pretty, but it flew by once I got into the groove of writing. A good outline helps too.

by Anonymousreply 3907/31/2013

R38, are you Dorothy Zbornak?

by Anonymousreply 4007/31/2013

Wow, what was your thesis on, RogerOctopus?

by Anonymousreply 4107/31/2013

Different schools have different rules on how long you can take to finish a dissertation. Rare for a top school to allow more than a total of seven or eight years total.

by Anonymousreply 4207/31/2013

No R40, Dorothy had it easy; She got better after two episodes. I got sick one night in November of 2004 and it hasn't let up yet.

R41, My master's thesis was on the role of the female characters in sitcoms. Sort of the evolution of how women and what they did with their personalities/power.

In the 50's female power was almost unheard of like on "I Love Lucy" despite the fact that Lucille Ball was one of the most powerful people in Hollywood.

Then they suppressed their power/personalities in the 60's ("Bewitched" and "I Dream of Jeannie".) Then were portrayed as female grotesques in the 70's ("Maude", "Flo", "The Ropers.") Then were finally powerful and self-actualized in the 80's ("Designing Women", "The Golden Girls", "Murphy Brown and "Roseanne".) I argued in favor of "The Nanny" being considered an empowering piece of work and Fran Drescher as a modern day Lucille Ball, but with the freedom to portray herself as powerful on TV.

I never got to the point of proposing a doctoral dissertation. But, soon after I had to drop out of my Ph. d program I had to give up teaching English/Reading/Writing as an adjunct. The CFS was too unpredictable. The reason for going beyond a masters was because I needed the Ph. d to get a full-time teaching job at the community colleges in my area.

I really miss teaching and working in general. CFS is a terrible sickness. A lot of people here on DL really don't understand it. It is very real and it attacks people who are "type A" personalities. It's not imaginary or malingering. Very sadly, frustratingly real.

Hopefully someday it will go away. I do whatever I can, give up foods, exercise, volunteer for studies. If there is ever a cure I will find it.

by Anonymousreply 4307/31/2013

I didn't realize that master's theses were necessary on top of doctoral dissertations. Most of my friends who have acquired PhDs only did the dissertation at the end, and a comprehensive exam for the master's.

Fascinating thesis topic, R43. Good luck with your CFS.

by Anonymousreply 4407/31/2013

My master's thesis probably.. 100 pages. Pain in the ass. Glad I'm done with it.

by Anonymousreply 4507/31/2013

Thanks R44. I probably had to do a master's thesis because the program I was in was for a master's only. I never intended to go on for a Ph.D. Actually to be a full-time instructor at a community college all that was required was a master's. But, there were so many applicants with Ph.Ds that it was necessary to be competative. So, after being out of college about seven years, I had to start up again. The CFS just hit me out of nowhere, half-way through. Really sucks.

by Anonymousreply 4607/31/2013

Most recent: 50 page research document for work, just last week.

by Anonymousreply 4707/31/2013

I've written and published 200-page books in nine days or less. Longest writing was a 1,200-page book that took thirty rewrites and a year.

by Anonymousreply 4807/31/2013

Wow R48! You probably don't want to reveal what book you wrote, but can you tell what you write about? I'm really impressed.

by Anonymousreply 4907/31/2013

"I've written and published 200-page books in nine days or less."

Were they any good?

by Anonymousreply 5007/31/2013

I had to write several papers over 8 pages long in high school in the late 60's. Have academic standards fallen so far as to make an 8 page paper seem onerous? Do you folks who teach college find that this inability to write a widespread problem with college freshmen?

by Anonymousreply 5107/31/2013

It's been a few years since I've been able to teach adjunct English. But, from my experience R51, an 8 page paper would not be possible for a college freshman. I struggled to help them READ things that were 8 pages long.

by Anonymousreply 5207/31/2013

Currently working on a biography of actress Jeanne Eagels. Last word count up to just over 74,000 with a bit more to do.

Due at the publisher by December, but should have it finished way before then.

by Anonymousreply 5307/31/2013

Does DL attract a lot of Chronic Fatigue sufferers? I swear this is like the fourth or fifth time I've read this.

by Anonymousreply 5407/31/2013

Well, I've mentioned it before R54, so maybe it 's just me. I live in a small rural town in the Mohawk Valley area of Central New York (Utica/Rome/Herkimer/Syracuse) and CFS, Fibromyalgia, MS, ALS and other neurological problems are epidemic here. But, on DL there is a lot of prejudice and misunderstanding about it, that's why I'm open about. If there are others on here they were probably hurt (like I was) to read people making disparaging comments about people who have it.

It is very misunderstood because from the outside I look perfectly healthy, but it is very, very real.

by Anonymousreply 5507/31/2013

[quote] I live in a small rural town in the Mohawk Valley area of Central New York (Utica/Rome/Herkimer/Syracuse) and CFS, Fibromyalgia, MS, ALS and other neurological problems are epidemic here.

Are there any theories as to why this area is rife with these sorts of maladies?

I just learned that a classmate of mine at college has ALS: what a fucking horrible disease. When I knew her, she had just competed in the Olympics like one or two years before! It's sort of startling to see someone who was in super-human shape 10 years ago now in a wheelchair.

by Anonymousreply 5608/01/2013

Roger, this is the third thread I've read in less than one hour in which you are trying to make the thread about yourself and your medical situation. I respect your condition, but we are talking about writing here. Once again, you are climbing over the virtual audience to get to the back of the house to turn on a dormant spotlight on yourself...

[quote]Does DL attract a lot of Chronic Fatigue sufferers? I swear this is like the fourth or fifth time I've read this.

More than likely from the same thread-derailing poster each time (mmm who could that be?)

by Anonymousreply 5708/01/2013

Gosh R57, I wasn't trying to "turn a spotlight on (myself.)" Why did you want to hurt my feelings? I was just answering a question and actually "Roger Octopus" isn't my real name, did you honestly think it was? I just made it up to remember what I'd posted on here. You've posted four times in this thread, I don't understand why I was out of line for posting more than once. I thought this site was for discussions. I paid my $18 just like everyone else.

Some people on here are really inconsiderate, especially to people with CFS or Fibromyalgia. I thought I thought I could clear up some misconceptions. If I was rude, then I apologize. I'll leave this thread to you to discuss whatever you want. There's still room for at least 560 more posts, I won't use up any more of them. I'm really sorry.

by Anonymousreply 5808/01/2013

Roge - Don't let one poster drive you away.

by Anonymousreply 5908/01/2013

I feel bad about it. I used the troll-dar and he seems to post a lot in threads where I've gone. I've been inadvertently "rubbing him the wrong way" I really just joined up here to talk, not trying to annoy anyone or get attention. I'm using a fake name anyway. I'll try and keep a lower profile for a while. :)

by Anonymousreply 6008/01/2013

OP, 8 pages is nothing. Are you in college or high school. A college student should be able to do an 8 page paper. However standards have been lowered and high schools are not preparing students properly.

by Anonymousreply 6108/03/2013

[quote]However standards have been lowered and high schools are not preparing students properly.

The states are lowering the standards for graduation. If a school's rating drops, they will only let it drop one grade. Therefore, a school with a B rating could drop to D or Failure, but the state education office will only allow it to show as a C.

I was once called in to troubleshoot a publication that was two months behind. One of the "writers" couldn't even take a phone message. He could write down the number but NEVER got a name right. He had never written anything for the publication (took a few photos) and nobody noticed. I sent him out for testing and he read at a 5th grade level.

Our colleges are graduating people who would have failed 20 years ago. Today they graduate and teach school.

by Anonymousreply 6208/03/2013

I graduated college in 2012 and am baffled that you find 8 pages a lot. 6-8 pages is like a regular homework assignment; it's not even considered a big project. I've written 20 page papers a few times throughout university and had 15 page essays very, very frequently.

by Anonymousreply 6308/03/2013

Last year I spent just over a month writing 300+ pages of training materials.

by Anonymousreply 6408/03/2013

I did a 1,200 page public health policy research report for a state legislature and wanted to kill myself because I knew that only the executive summary would ever be read. (The report contents were mandated by state regulations but I now wish I had just greek-texted the thing and shown pie charts using photos of real pies.)

by Anonymousreply 6508/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!