Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

JUDY GARLAND singing "Some People"

From GYPSY. Too bad the proposed TV version with Liza never came to be.

by Anonymousreply 908/05/2013

Cut scene from TV movie LIFE WITH JUDY GARLAND with Emmy winner Judy Davis. Shows a totally out of control Judy. Has this been posted before?

by Anonymousreply 107/31/2013

In the video at R2, DL fave Joey Luft begins at 4:23 and "Take your boyfriend with you" at 5:00. Camp-e!

by Anonymousreply 208/05/2013

The Melbourne scene is sometimes shown on TV. I hate it though - the audience members are too cartoonish.

I don't get why Judy didn't at least do an album of Gypsy songs. Same goes for Liza. At least Liza's Rose's Turn is out there.

by Anonymousreply 308/05/2013

"Judy was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs."

If you really believed that JP, you would change your insulting screen name, which only contributes to the image of Garland as a pill-popping no-talent better off forgotten, not an artist on the level of Sinatra or Picasso or Callas.

YOU and YOUR NAME are part of the problem, JP.

by Anonymousreply 408/05/2013

Ah, good times, R4.

by Anonymousreply 508/05/2013

When was this preposed Liza version? Pre or post Bette?

by Anonymousreply 608/05/2013

Garland died many years before the Bette version. I'm guessing "pre."

by Anonymousreply 708/05/2013

Liza's version was around the same time and Tyne Daly on Broadway. In fact, Liza was one of the names being tossed around for that revival. I believe Judy's name was mentioned to the show's creators by Warner Bros. as a possible Rose when they sold the rights in the early 60's. Sadly, that didn't happen and we were stuck with Ros Russell, who tried her damndest, but she wasn't really right for the part and God knows she couldn't sing it to save her life.

Such a shame both film versions of the show are big stinkers. It's a brilliant show that's never been able to make the transition from stage to screen. It usually feels even stagier on screen than it does on stage.

by Anonymousreply 808/05/2013

Judy and Liza wanted CBS to do a TV version of GYPSY. Obviously nothing ever came of it... it would have been too soon after the movie.

by Anonymousreply 908/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.