Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Job woes: One of my references couldn't be reached

Ugh! Usually this person is great and really responsive. The manager just got a hold of me and said they want to move forward on the job now, so could I figure out a way to get in touch or send in another reference.

On the plus side I'm assuming this means they want to hire me. On the negative side, I'm hoping a MIA reference doesn't make them suspicious.

Yes, I know. MARY. I just need this job.

by Anonymousreply 3808/02/2013

Why don't you just provide another reference?

by Anonymousreply 107/31/2013

Not being able to locate a reference is not a deal-breaker. Relax, and just give them another reference that you can control enough to make sure they're waiting for the call.

by Anonymousreply 207/31/2013

I wish I was this close to getting a job I really wanted.

You should also call your reference, make sure the person is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 307/31/2013

Just get a few friends to pretend to be business owners and act as references.

by Anonymousreply 407/31/2013

Is the reference dead?

by Anonymousreply 507/31/2013

Who am I, anyway?

Am I my resume?

Please God, I really need.THIS JOB!

OP, best wishes; I know this is frustrating. THe poster(s)suggesting, call some friends who are, or could SAY they are (I have done this twice to good effect) business owners - this is a good suggestion. And your potential employer won't think anything is fishy with the first reference you gave; they'll just think, they were unable to reach him.

by Anonymousreply 607/31/2013

do NOT get friends to fake reference for you. If the company hires you and wants to dump you down the road, this makes it even easier to do so. And don't count on them not finding out--it has happened more than once with searches I've run where I work.

by Anonymousreply 707/31/2013

If I'm applying for a new job and I've been with the same (very small) company for the past 4 years, will the new job want references from the job I had over 4 years ago? Most of the time when I've applied for jobs and gotten a position, they later revealed to me that they never called my references. Then again my work has been published in peer reviews journals so I think this provides some validation. I really wouldn't want them to call my previous boss from 4 years ago because we had a huge personal falling out and don't speak except through our lawyers. We even signed non-disparagement agreements so she can't say anything bad about me but I think being neutral would be negative to a prospective employer.

by Anonymousreply 807/31/2013

Reference calls have been rendered useless.

by Anonymousreply 907/31/2013

How so, r9?

by Anonymousreply 1007/31/2013

You can't actually say anything beyond confirming employment or risk facing a lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 1107/31/2013

Peer "reviews" journals?

I wouldn't hire you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1207/31/2013

R12 is an annoying mincing prisspot. It was a typo. Get over it, girleen.

by Anonymousreply 1307/31/2013

R9 is right technically, and I can confirm this from working in labor and employment law a few years ago (not as a lawyer) but I can also remember going to employment agencies to look myself for a new job, pleasantly REMINDING them that most places (espec in CA; very labor-conscious) will ONLY confirm dates of employment and (not always) salary. But the agents would say, they could get around that; could I give them the name of someone I worked with (i.e., not the personnel office but my actual boss.)

WOrked okay for me but I'm out of the labor market for 6 years now (disabled.) I have friends who say they have bosses who have gotten tired of being asked for references. I guess I was lucky; had 3-4 people I used - recent job, less recent jobs, even long-term temp assignments.

Use your charm, OP!

by Anonymousreply 1407/31/2013

And how are you, R12, where OP should give a shit?

by Anonymousreply 1507/31/2013

Reference checks are seen as a tiresome bore by many, and sometimes they will only check your most recent one and ignore the others. And sometimes if you ace the interview they won't even bother with references at all.

by Anonymousreply 1607/31/2013

Exactly, R14. And no one seeking a job with their right mind would list a reference that would not at least confirm dates of employment. Totally useless.

by Anonymousreply 1707/31/2013

At my company, giving a reference instead of referring the caller to HR is reason to terminate.

by Anonymousreply 1807/31/2013

r9 is right. References are useless. You're not apt to use someone as a reference who would provide a candid assessment; you will use someone who will sing your praises. Companies do background checks to look for big issues: were you ever in prison, do you have a court record, any bankruptcies, any lawsuits against you, etc. The softer stuff like how likeable you are is best checked in a one-on-one interview.

by Anonymousreply 1907/31/2013

Your reference couldn't be reached because there are no phones in the Big House, hon.

by Anonymousreply 2007/31/2013

May I suggest Mr. Ray's Wig World?

by Anonymousreply 2107/31/2013

Huge mistake to assume reference checks are useless.

If you worked for an asshole don't assume he or she is smart enough to not be an asshole during a reference check.

Also many employers will confirm position and job responsibilities. So if you fudged the truth on what you did - it may well come to haunt you.

Worst case - your potential employer knows someone who works for your current employer. The conversation goes something like this:

Question: Tell me about John Doe. Answer: He is great.

Tell me about John Doe, Answer: How are the wife and kids doing?

Not actionable in a court of law - but the message is clear.

by Anonymousreply 2207/31/2013

r22 you seem to be saying: Don't count on references to cover your lies or bad work history.

So you're agreeing they are useless for those purposes.

But even if you're not using references for that purpose, they're basically useless. They don't provide anything valuable.

by Anonymousreply 2307/31/2013

R23 - huh?

Not useless if you are the one doing the checking.

You can still do a lousy job and work for an asshole. An asshole can be stupid enough to put his/her own job at risk by saying you sucked.

If you assume a reference check is useless you are assuming there is nothing your current or previous employer would say that would impact the hiring decision.

I pointed out that is not true. They can hurt you.

by Anonymousreply 2407/31/2013

Nobody gives former employers as references unless they are sure they'd get a glowing review.

That's why they're useless. It's kind of a fake voucher. Usually references are colleagues or friends.

If people are stupid enough to provide references that might provide negative assessments, they're too stupid to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 2507/31/2013

That happened to me, they couldn't contact one of my references (turned out she had left the place). I called and tried to find someone else there that knew me (and liked me) and would give a good reference.

I got the job.

Good luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2608/01/2013

When unable to reach or provide the name of a former boss as a reference (for whatever reason), do not resort to friends with fake companies posing as fake clients or employers.

The acceptable and much safer version of that strategy is providing the name of someone who actually works(ed) at that boss's company who a) likes you b) is available to pick up the phone/return a reference call c)can attest for both your employment history and your common employer's basic stats, and d) will check out as employed by that company. It works very well and, in such a scenario, that person can easily pose as someone who was your supervisor at some point while you were employed with his/her company. It is very difficult to disprove that, since even a receptionist or a stockroom clerk could easily have supervised you at some point during your history with that company (for instance, when you were learning to use the phones or the copy machine).

Also, if you are having problems with your current manager/company (a common reason to be looking for other work), you shouldn't have a problem not using them as references. After all they are your current employers and most potential hiring entities understand the need to keep your search confidential (that's why there are controls on the type of questions a reference checker is allowed to ask).

by Anonymousreply 2708/01/2013

you can put me down op

by Anonymousreply 2808/01/2013

Christ- unless you are going for jobs in the 250,000k range and above, don't sweat it too much. For references that may be less than glowing from former bosses, there is nothing wrong with listing a colleague as your direct superior for a reference. Even if they have simply lead a meeting or a project, put them as your superior instead of a boss you may not have had a great relationship with. Recruiters are BUSY- they don't have eons to stalk you and every reference you list.

by Anonymousreply 2908/01/2013

Exactly r29!

by Anonymousreply 3008/01/2013

R21 I thought it was Mr. Ray's Hair Weave.

by Anonymousreply 3108/01/2013

THe posters mentioning giving colleagues as references are correct. I worked as a legal secy and knew someone who wasn't getting along great with her bosses; she did get along however with managing partner's secy; she used him, he said when called he was "Exec Assist to the Managing Partner": she got the job.

(of course this was in the good old days, early '90s (SF). Best of luck, OP; the posters who point that references aren't always the be-all and end-all, are correct. Is the interview that counts.

by Anonymousreply 3208/02/2013

"The manager just got a hold of me"

A choke hold? A bear hug?

And don't reply that "it was a typo."

You don't know the difference.

Hopefully the job doesn't involve much typing or use of English grammar; otherwise you're incompetent.

by Anonymousreply 3308/02/2013

Speaking of things that are useless, check out the poster at r33.

by Anonymousreply 3408/02/2013

R33, both you and your link are useless. The phrase is "to get hold of someone," neither "a hold" nor "ahold."

by Anonymousreply 3508/02/2013

Sorry miss, but I have problems of my own.

by Anonymousreply 3608/02/2013

Never use personal references. You'd think people would know this, but I've had friends that I've lost touch with use me as references, without informing me beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 3708/02/2013

If you are going to use a friend as a reference, make sure you clear it with them first and give them an idea of when they may be called by the person at the job. And always, always rehearse what your friend should say over the phone, to get the story straight.

by Anonymousreply 3808/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!