Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm not getting it. Could you please post some examples? Who typically humblebrags?

by Anonymousreply 5607/31/2013

Why is it every time a limo picks me up, the driver smells bad?

by Anonymousreply 107/31/2013

Some of the dumbest people I've ever met went to Harvard with me.

by Anonymousreply 307/31/2013

Although I invented the color red, I prefer orange.

by Anonymousreply 407/31/2013

If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?

by Anonymousreply 507/31/2013

"Ever since we donated the silver Prius to "SisterWives No Más!" I'm wearing a groove into the sidewalks around Park Slope. No matter how much I force myself to eat I am _swimming_ in my clothes. I don't have the heart to have them taken in - you don't own vintage couture, you safeguard it for posterity, no?. SUCH a responsibility!"

by Anonymousreply 607/31/2013

"I don't know about my hair and makeup people. My hairdresser spent hours and hours on this hairdo, and I think it's just too much. And the makeup, don't you think it's overdone, etc?"

I heard a C-list actress go on like this for ten minutes, she was obviously so thrilled to have hair and makeup people that she couldn't talk about anything else.

by Anonymousreply 707/31/2013

Great name for a band...

by Anonymousreply 807/31/2013

I've been chewing on this candy bar forever; can we flood the town now?

by Anonymousreply 907/31/2013

Most cats will chase birds; mine sharply rejects sanctions.

by Anonymousreply 1007/31/2013

If squares were circles, I'd be a circle squared!

Falling backward in forward-time invokes terror!

Bury your snout in this and claim you believe in a god.

by Anonymousreply 1107/31/2013

Steve Aylett?

by Anonymousreply 1207/31/2013

When I think of those who have so little it just made sense that I donate my other Rolex to the charity auction.

by Anonymousreply 1307/31/2013

It's so hard for me to watch American Idol because I have perfect pitch.

by Anonymousreply 1407/31/2013

Smoking crack is the intellectual's crack smoking.

by Anonymousreply 1507/31/2013

Um. Still don't know what a humblebrag is.

Can I get a definition with my example?

by Anonymousreply 1607/31/2013

Humblebrag: status boast transparently wrapped in apology or complaint.

by Anonymousreply 1707/31/2013

Christ, R16, after a number of examples you don't get it? Are you fucking retarded? 12? Feeble?

by Anonymousreply 1807/31/2013

You know, I didn't stay awake for 72 hours trying to figure out the solution for global warming just for myself. I didn't work on this until my fingers bled, and I was so delirious from a lack of food, I almost fainted several times.

This isn't about me. This is about the world, and the children, and future generations. And if I turned down a $30 million job, to do this, I did it for us. So don't thank me for saving the world. My thanks is seeing the joy in the faces of the children who, I know, because of my efforts, these kids will have a future.

R3 & R13 are the best examples so far...IMO.

by Anonymousreply 1907/31/2013

Look up Jenna Maroney back door brag on Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 2007/31/2013

Nope, still don't get it. Sometimes I can't solve puzzles, you know, if they're too pedestrian.

by Anonymousreply 2107/31/2013

"Oh I am just so crazy busy these days."

A brag disguised as a complaint. Everyone uses it, and it irritates me to all hell.

by Anonymousreply 2207/31/2013

I'm 55, worth about 2.5m, and not knowing what to put in my will is a real worry.

by Anonymousreply 2307/31/2013

R21, Christ! How is it POSSIBLE to be so fucking dense??

I am no good at puzzles either. But I can read and comprehend:

"humblebrag": To be FALSELY humble WHILE bragging. I didn't make up the word; don't know its origin but there are NUMEROUS examples here.

It seems to be a coined word, and to be a verb. Example, perhaps: Two guys are listening to another talk about how he works hard in his vegetable garden, which veggies he donates to a food bank, but he WORRIES about his $1,000 (insert a brand) shoes getting dirty.

OR, he took $400 worth of food from his frig and pantry to donate to said food bank but when he left to go home, he discovered someone had banged into and dented his 2014 BMW.

R21, do you see? He is being FALSELY humble because in the same sentence as he is espousing his humility (donating food) he is also DELIBERATELY mentioning something in a braggadocio fashion (cost of shoes, presumed cost of expensive car.)

Hope you get it now! if not you're either (a) SAYING you don't get it, to drive people on the board nuts or (b) too stupid to live (allowances made for:extreme youth, senility, or over-medication.)

by Anonymousreply 2407/31/2013

R21 be trollin'.

by Anonymousreply 2507/31/2013

R24, I am over-medicated, trying to drive people crazy, and offering my own example. You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 2607/31/2013

It's hard having such a small house - I'm running out of room to display all of my Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 2707/31/2013

I love the word.

by Anonymousreply 2807/31/2013

No, I could never be President. I wouldn't want to live in a smaller house.

by Anonymousreply 2907/31/2013

"I did Habitat For Humanity during my gap year."

by Anonymousreply 3007/31/2013

People always underestimate my instincts because of my looks.

by Anonymousreply 3107/31/2013

My huge dick sometimes chokes my whores to death.

by Anonymousreply 3207/31/2013

Why do I always get gassy limo drivers?

by Anonymousreply 3307/31/2013

"We have great dinner parties at which everyone sits around talking about politics, history, art and literature—all this peppered with really funny jokes. But back in America, I was at a party and a girl looked at me and said, ‘Oh, my God! Are those Juicy jeans that you’re wearing?’ and I thought, I can’t stay here. I have to get back to Europe."

by Anonymousreply 3407/31/2013

Cannes is so O-vah!

by Anonymousreply 3507/31/2013

R34 - best example ever and the reason everyone hates her.

by Anonymousreply 3607/31/2013

Oh, the beach house is just a rundown little cottage. A bungalow, practically. It only has half as many bathrooms as our cabin in the mountains.

by Anonymousreply 3707/31/2013

None of my Gucci purses match the outfit I wanted to wear tonight, so I am stuck with a Coach bag.

by Anonymousreply 3807/31/2013

How are we expected to plan our trip to Paris while we are stuck in Rome for the next two weeks?

by Anonymousreply 3907/31/2013

The first time I heard a humble brag it made me feel like shit. I was a dorky 15 year old and the 16 year girl I was a camp counselor with said, "don't you hate it when all those guys like you and you just don't like them back?" She had frizzy hair and was no beauty, but it shows the value of confidence.

by Anonymousreply 4007/31/2013

I had to trade in my last Jag-u-wah because the ashtrays got full.

by Anonymousreply 4107/31/2013

"But what about the children?

by Anonymousreply 4207/31/2013

The traffic to our home in the Hamptons is awful, I wish I was sitting at home like you are.

by Anonymousreply 4307/31/2013

"I've been meaning to watch Mad Men, but I'm so busy between seeing friends and parties and all the work dinners I have to go to. You're SO LUCKY to have time for yourself!"

by Anonymousreply 4407/31/2013

Kenneth: The personal essay is way harder than I thought, cause it's not in my nature to brag on myself.

Jenna: Not even a back door brag?

Kenneth: What's a back door brag?

Jenna: Backdoor bragging is sneaking something wonderful about yourself in everyday conversation. Like when I tell people it's hard for me to watch American Idol cause I have perfect pitch. You try it.

Kenneth: Oh, it's hard for me to watch American Idol because there's a water bug on my channel changer.

This comes back later in a talk with Liz:

Jenna: People always underestimate my instincts because of my good looks.

Liz: This is no time for back door bragging!

by Anonymousreply 4507/31/2013

The wine at this Napa Valley winery tour is absolutely horrible.

by Anonymousreply 4607/31/2013

You are so lucky you are not going to St. Barths for Christmas, I just know my flight will be delayed.

by Anonymousreply 4707/31/2013

I wish my skin could handle cotton, I can only wear silk. I have to spend a fortune on sheets.

by Anonymousreply 4807/31/2013

So many funny posts here, I wish my iPad 4 Retina got better wifi here in the Tuscan villa so I could join in.

by Anonymousreply 4907/31/2013

r24 - I don't think you actually understand. Your examples are terrible. And r21, that's not really a humblebrag either; it's just a somewhat stealthy snide remark.

It's when someone cloaks a brag in some fake humility. It's a sneaky way of soliciting compliments, often seen on Facebook:

"I consider it an honour [HUMBLE] to volunteer at the hospital [BRAG]."

by Anonymousreply 5007/31/2013

You'd think that with a MacArthur Genius Grant and a Nobel Prize to my name I could figure out humblebrag.

by Anonymousreply 5107/31/2013

I like the word bragplaining.

by Anonymousreply 5207/31/2013

"Beauty fades! I just turned 29, so I probably don't have that many good years left in me."

by Anonymousreply 5307/31/2013

I just stepped on a piece of gum! Who spits out their gum on the Red Carpet!!

by Anonymousreply 5407/31/2013

HBO pays very little, really. My role is pretty much in every episode since my character appeared, but I can barely pay my bills -- whined a regular on The Sopranos who came from the second home in Montauk to attend a gala in Bridgehampton.

by Anonymousreply 5507/31/2013

I left out "charity." It was a charity gala in Bridgehampton.

by Anonymousreply 5607/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!