Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is London more homophobic than NY?

I feel more vulnerable on the streets for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 3808/27/2014

Like NYC , It depends what neighborhood your in. Last summer I was in London (Soho, West End, Vauxhall) and it felt a lot more "gay" than NY has in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 307/31/2013

I think it's that Londoners are always so drunk that the homophobes who do exist,act out more violently than say, a sober homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 407/31/2013

Not necessarily homophobic, but I just read about yet another acid-throwing incident over there. I haven't been to London in years, but I'm a bit scared to visit now.

by Anonymousreply 607/31/2013

We love you too, r2!

by Anonymousreply 707/31/2013

Then for goddness sake, OP, take off your pink feather boa.

by Anonymousreply 807/31/2013

Are we talking about the same city? I visited London in 2012 and loved it.

I went to:

- Victoria - St James Park - Westminster - Tate Modern - Millenium Bridge - St Paul's - Barbican - Trafalgar Square - National Gallery - Soho and Covent Garden

and loved it!

Granted those are all the tourist spots, but I didn't feel in danger for a bit. And it was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed that city.

by Anonymousreply 1007/31/2013

R1-Oi!

by Anonymousreply 1107/31/2013

Yes and where with an E or S in its postcode.

by Anonymousreply 1207/31/2013

It's true that damp does encourage mould but that's a bit harsh, R9!

by Anonymousreply 1307/31/2013

I think you mean Detroit [R9]

by Anonymousreply 1407/31/2013

R1/2 (same person, natch) has never been to London in his life, and sounds mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 1607/31/2013

I've never been to London-where are the parts that aren't safe for gays to go, or is that a joke?

by Anonymousreply 1707/31/2013

The most homophobic attacks occur in the WC postcodes actually but don't tell the racists that. And R12 is speaking shit. EC1 is rough? EC2?

by Anonymousreply 1807/31/2013

Gay man who was victim of homophobic attack in Shoreditch: 'I will not let my attacker win'

Timothy Rumney, 29, has urged other victims of hate crime to report their attackers to police after a man hit him in the face while he waited for a bus with his partner following a visit to gay club East Bloc.

The couple were walking along Old Street during the early hours of Sunday morning when they overheard a man with his girlfriend referring to them as “batty men” - a derogatory slang term for homosexuals.

When he challenged the man, Mr Rumney claims he asked them why they were holding hands. Minutes later, the same man approached the pair as they waited for a bus on Kingsland Road and hit Mr Rumney around the face.

by Anonymousreply 1908/23/2014

R19 In the article, it says:

[quote]They are hunting for a slim black man in his late 20s, who is about 5’8” with stubble. He was wearing a dark waistcoat and a trilby hat. He was with a white woman with brown hair, described as being in her early 20s. She was wearing a blue and white striped dress.

by Anonymousreply 2008/23/2014

It's a fine city. Nice people probably but I never talked to anyone I didn't already know, nor they me. NYC is more outgoing and friendlier I thought.

by Anonymousreply 2108/25/2014

Both smell like piss.

by Anonymousreply 2208/25/2014

New York is much gayer than London. Most of the gayness has been gentrified out of Soho and Vauxhall is a pit that is in no way worthy of being the "gay mecca" of a major global capital.

The real centres of gay culture in the UK are Brighton and Manchester.

by Anonymousreply 2308/25/2014

The problem with London is that there still are a few English people left there. And that's why you notice homophobia and a creepy feeling.

by Anonymousreply 2408/25/2014

Are you guys forgetting all the NYC attacks on gay men in the last couple of years? Google it, there have been many.

by Anonymousreply 2508/25/2014

Do the British have an equivalent of "Hate Crime"

by Anonymousreply 2608/25/2014

[quote]The problem with London is that there still are a few English people left there. And that's why you notice homophobia and a creepy feeling.

Is this from your experience?

by Anonymousreply 2708/25/2014

R13/R14, R9 was quoting "No Place Like London" from SWEENEY TODD.

by Anonymousreply 2808/25/2014

[R23] Why do people use terms like "the gay mecca" or the "anything mecca"?

Correct me if I'm wrong but Mecca to me is a place that millions of people go to on a religious pilgrimagel, not unlike th Vatican.

by Anonymousreply 2908/25/2014

R29, because "mecca" (uncapitalized) is also used to refer to a place that is regarded as the center of an activity or interest; a place visited by many people.

It is derived from Mecca, the holiest city of Islam and a pilgrimage site for all devout believers of the faith.

by Anonymousreply 3008/25/2014

London has so many extremist Muslims these days it has to be more homophobic than NYC. Before the defenders jump on me, I didn't say "Muslims"; I said "extremist Muslims" because I know the difference.

by Anonymousreply 3108/25/2014

Regarding London, I have one thing to say: Muslims.

by Anonymousreply 3208/25/2014

When one says New York City, most of Manhattan, and parts of Queens and Brooklyn are very gay friendly. Staten Island and the Bronx ... not so much.

by Anonymousreply 3308/25/2014

My partner and I have a really nice home in London that's right in the centre of the Muslim community. The only place I've ever been harassed in London is in my own street.

by Anonymousreply 3408/27/2014

Well dressed gaybasher in a waistcoat and trilby!

by Anonymousreply 3508/27/2014

[quote]Do the British have an equivalent of "Hate Crime"

Yeah, saying you have a problem with the type of right wing,fundamentalist, Sharia law supporting Muslims who would agree that gays should be killed or imprisoned,people who leave the religion should be executed and free speech should give way to "blasphemy" or "religious insult" laws.

Funny though how criticizing and even mocking OTHER religions from Mormonism to Scientology(deservedly)never seems to be met with the same "outrage".

by Anonymousreply 3608/27/2014

Come to Paris! Or Athens. Now that's become really shitty (both).

by Anonymousreply 3708/27/2014

[quote]Staten Island and the Bronx ... not so much

The Bronx is fine for the most part. Staten Island has all those homophobic Guineas and Russians.

by Anonymousreply 3808/27/2014
Need more help? Click Here.