Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Converting to Catholicism

My partner has been pressuring me to convert ever since we got together 5 yrs ago but, I never wanted to because I didn't like the anti gay stance of the Church. However, now that the Pope has said it's ok to be gay and Catholic, I think I'm going to go ahead and do it. I know that it will make my partner very happy and we'll now be able to attend Mass together on Sundays.

by Anonymousreply 8108/08/2013

The church has always said it's OK to be gay. The problem is gay sex.

by Anonymousreply 107/30/2013

Really OP? Really?

by Anonymousreply 307/30/2013

If you and your partner have ever had sex, you're still in trouble.

If you haven't I guess you'll be just fine and dandy.

by Anonymousreply 407/30/2013

Good luck with your celibacy.

by Anonymousreply 507/30/2013

Catholic Mass is the most beautiful religious ceremony. Just for that I would convert

by Anonymousreply 607/30/2013

[quote]If you and your partner have ever had sex, you're still in trouble.

You don't understand Catholicism. As long as you confess and perform your acts of contrition, you're golden.

by Anonymousreply 707/30/2013

Wrong, R7. If you intend to continue your sinful acts, you are not absolved.

by Anonymousreply 807/30/2013

The new no bullshit, ass-kicking Pope is also a good reason to convert

by Anonymousreply 1007/30/2013

Aside from your own beliefs, I wouldn't worry about adopting a title to appease your boyfriend.

you love him, he loves you. So make him happy. it isn't like you were signing a legal contract to go to church every Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 1107/30/2013

Why convert to a religion you don't believe in? Why not work on living an authentic life which actually has some value for you?

by Anonymousreply 1207/30/2013

What catholic church opens its arms to gay couples? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 1307/31/2013

R12 I applaud you. If everyone would have that thought in their heads, this world would be more bearable.

The only religion that doesn't hate gays is paganism. Maybe look into that.

by Anonymousreply 1407/31/2013

Op, you don't have to become a Catholic to attend Mass. Heck, in some progressive Parishes, you will even be given communion if you want.

In Chicago, there's an AGLO mass just for LGBT people and no one asks if you are Catholic when you walk in the door.

by Anonymousreply 1507/31/2013

Is this just a troll thread OP? You can admit it, it's okay.

R14 Well, there are Episcopalians, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 1607/31/2013

Don't.

by Anonymousreply 1807/31/2013

Not only did Francine say that being gay and Catholic is OK by him, he announced that it's way beyond fabulous! As he said in a press release the other day, "Let he who cannot set a proper table and make a proper cocktail be the first to be stoned."

I think that it says it all.

by Anonymousreply 2007/31/2013

R22=a Catholic priest

by Anonymousreply 2307/31/2013

[quote]I know that it will make my partner very happy and we'll now be able to attend Mass together on Sundays.

You do know that you can attend Mass with your partner without converting, don't you? Conversion isn't a requirement for attendance.

by Anonymousreply 2407/31/2013

You think things are different in the actual Church this week because of what the Pope said in an interview? How naive can you be?

They are still the same twisted, homophobic, mind-bending organized crime organization they've always been.

by Anonymousreply 2607/31/2013

Can't anyone see that by the wording of the OP's post, he is a troll, asking for Catholic Church bashing? Jeez.

by Anonymousreply 2707/31/2013

This makes no sense on so many fronts, mainly that your original objection was how the church viewed gays - that hasn't changed. The popes comments were gentler, but still the same. When I was 16 (very Catholic) a priest told me it was perfectly OK to be gay, it was my cross to bare - and when I told him I'd already had sex, he told me suicide was justified, how nice. You can still go to mass and as long as you are a baptized christian, invited to take communion. If you do convert, you will have to attend the classes and I doubt they would allow your confirmation if you tell them you are gay, so then why would you convert?

by Anonymousreply 2807/31/2013

Ahem!

by Anonymousreply 2907/31/2013

I hope are are not planning on getting married in my church!

by Anonymousreply 3007/31/2013

[quote] Can't anyone see that by the wording of the OP's post, he is a troll, asking for Catholic Church bashing? Jeez.

As if the Catholic Church doesn't bring it upon itself with its constant fucking misogyny, gay-hating, non-reproductive-sex-hating.

by Anonymousreply 3107/31/2013

OP is a troll and you fell for it.

by Anonymousreply 3207/31/2013

I see the bitter former altar girl hasn't fully let go of religion and is still infesting all Catholic threads.

by Anonymousreply 3307/31/2013

Hey, any troll who is up for a little church bashing is ok in my book.

by Anonymousreply 3407/31/2013

Why anyone would "convert" to anything as an adult is beyond my comprehension

by Anonymousreply 3507/31/2013

everybody is taking this guys unique situation and is applying it to them--and their own bullshit issues.

Listen, do you love the guy? Does he make you happy?

Then, who cares!?! Convert, if you think it will make your relationship stronger-as it would be his greatest wish. Don't if you think it wouldn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 3607/31/2013

hmmm, insteat of converting into Catholicism, why not going to a bookstore and start to read esoteric stuffs?

by Anonymousreply 3707/31/2013

You can't convert. As a gay man who intends to keep having gay sex, you can't be accepted into the church. If you lie or conceal your intent, your conversion is not valid and your subsequent actions like going to Mass are deceitful, count as sins, and are acts of impiety. For that matter, your BF is sinning in having sex with you, then going to confession while fully intending to sin again.

And how delightful, to go to confession and be told your love is a sin and you must do penance.

by Anonymousreply 3807/31/2013

The Catholic Church is the one and only true Christian church. All the others are not legitimate.

by Anonymousreply 3907/31/2013

(rolling eyes)

If your boyfriend is PRESSURING you to convert to his religion, he doesn't sound like anyone you should want to make a life with, period. Ugh.

Is there anything more obnoxious?

How about you pressure him to leave the church and embrace reason and sanity instead?

by Anonymousreply 4007/31/2013

[quote] I see the bitter former altar girl hasn't fully let go of religion and is still infesting all Catholic threads.

Right. Soooo.... How do you feel about the Church's policy on the "disordered sexuality" of gay people? Of Benedict repeatedly suggesting a correlation between pedophilia and gayness?

How do you feel about the Church's no-condom policy and the AIDS epidemic, still continuing?

How do you feel about the deep misogyny of the Church, amplified by John Paul and his successor binding all future popes to an "infallible edict" that permanently bans female priests?

If you support any fucking part of these Dark Age fixations with controlling the wombs, equal employment opportunities and private parts of consenting adults, then YOU have the problem and I question why you are posting here on a LGBT site.

I know you are the Catholic-defending priest who always posts here, otherwise you would not remember that I have posted as well. You were the one who called *me* apostate last time. Nice. It vexes you, I am sure, that I know just as much about this disordered religion due to the fact that I was brought up in it.

by Anonymousreply 4107/31/2013

R42, what with the Catholic Church's past tacit support of burning women (and "socially undesirable" men) at stake (2000+ in the Inquisition?), I don't think we'd ever get to the point where such a homophobic, sexist church would be burnt down by its own parishioners...

by Anonymousreply 4307/31/2013

The smell of troll meat doesn't bother me.

The smell of lazy, corrupt troll meat looking for trouble does.

You stink, OP.

(And who says you have to be Catholic or anything else to sit in church - any church - with a partner? And the Catholics (who I loathe) also would frown on anyone being pressured to convert.

Again, OP, you stink.

by Anonymousreply 4407/31/2013

Honey, there are gay men on this board who would convert to Satanism if that's what it took for them to keep a man!

You sure you want their advice?

by Anonymousreply 4507/31/2013

Pressure your BF to convert to atheism.

by Anonymousreply 4607/31/2013

Catholicism is well-suited to those of the pink persuasion. Just look at the Pope in his Prada shoes and Ungaro spring frocks!

by Anonymousreply 4807/31/2013

[quote]When you non believers are burning in the fires of hell, FOREVER! you will wished you had thought differently.

That you actually worship a deity that would do such a thing to his own creations, says a lot about you, none of it good.

by Anonymousreply 4907/31/2013

Bill Gates famously replied, when asked if he attended church, "It's not a productive use of my time." Nor is it of yours, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5007/31/2013

3/10

I would have given it a 0 out of 10 because it is so stupid, but enough posters were suckered in to nudge it a little higher.

by Anonymousreply 5107/31/2013

Do the confessionals have glory holes and are they large enough to hold a buddy?

by Anonymousreply 5207/31/2013

Good to know that it is alright to pass judgment on entire groups rather than judging the individual.

I really wish I could give some of you hugs.

by Anonymousreply 5307/31/2013

[quote] Good to know that it is alright to pass judgment on entire groups rather than judging the individual.

As the Vatican does with gay people?

Please. I have many Catholics I love in my life. They are progressive, liberal, pro-women's ordination, pro-choice and pro-gay. They are members of my immediate and extended family. I don't pass judgment on them at all. I do pass judgment on the Vatican as it is reactionary, right-wing, misogynist, anti-choice, homophobic and wealth-loving - as I would family members, if they were bigots too. When my family members donate to the Church, they ensure it's not to Right to Life or anti-gay causes. Are you not able to separate the Church as a structure as opposed to individuals? Why do you support a homophobic, poverty-exploiting and sexist structure?

by Anonymousreply 5408/01/2013

The Pope didn't say it was okay to be gay and Catholic. You and your partner are fucking nitwits.

by Anonymousreply 5508/01/2013

[quote][r41]you are living proof of why the church maintains it's permanent ban on female priests.

If you ever became a priest I'm sure the parishioners would burn down your church

Community outreach. Catholic style.

I think I'll happily stay home from church this week - and forever after.

by Anonymousreply 5608/01/2013

[quote]Good to know that it is alright to pass judgment on entire groups rather than judging the individual.

Why on earth wouldn't we judge the Catholic church as a group? It's one of the largest, oldest, most influential "groups" in the western world, for a thousand years now. It has an organized leadership and hierarchy, a massive set of rules, laws and restrictions. It sets itself up as a group who tells other people how to live their lives and even threatens them with eternal punishment if they don't live their lives according to how the group wants them to - and you think it's wrong for people to have an opinion on that?

Just how much of a pathetic authoritarian are you?

by Anonymousreply 5708/01/2013

[quote]When you non-believers are burning in the fires of hell, FOREVER!

Whereas 'believers' who systematically abused children and were later protected by the church will enjoy a more temperate eternity.

To bad the church can't sell it's merits to non-believers other than by threatening hell-fire. That one hasn't flown since James Joyce, at least. New material needed.

by Anonymousreply 5808/01/2013

Well the Pope said who is he to judge the gays, and it is not immoral to be gay. Same-sex sexual acts though are immoral. So does this mean it is alright, in the eyes of Catholic Church to have a partner but not consummate sexually? Or maybe just be gay and not have a partner at all?

by Anonymousreply 5908/01/2013

Don't, OP, just DON'T.

by Anonymousreply 6008/01/2013

From the Catholic Register, 3 years ago (what the pope really feels about you OP)...

Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, the Archbishop of Buenos Aires and Primate of Argentina, has said that if a proposed bill giving same-sex couples the opportunity to marry and adopt children should be approved, it will “seriously damage the family.”

He made the statement in a letter addressed to each of the four monasteries in Argentina, asking the contemplatives to pray “fervently” that legislators be strengthened to do the right thing.

He wrote: “In the coming weeks, the Argentine people will face a situation whose outcome can seriously harm the family…At stake is the identity and survival of the family:

by Anonymousreply 6108/01/2013

[bold]Converting to Cannibalism[/bold]

My partner has been pressuring me to convert ever since we got together 5 yrs ago but, I never wanted to because I didn't like the flesh eating stance of the cannibals. However, now that Dahmer has said it's ok to be a vegetarian and a cannibal, I think I'm going to go ahead and do it. I know that it will make my partner very happy and we'll now be able to attend potlucks together on Sundays.

by Anonymousreply 6208/01/2013

0.3/10

by Anonymousreply 6308/01/2013

R62, this is one instance where the parody thread is apropos on two distinct levels: 1) LGBT people who are Catholics are indeed eating their own, and not in a good way - they are sellouts; and 2) the Eucharist's (the literal eating of flesh and drinking of blood, according to Catholics) longtime association with cannibalism.

by Anonymousreply 6408/01/2013

If we learned anything from 'Suddenly Last Summer', it's that cannibals also take issue with the gays. It didn't work out well for Sebastian Venable.

by Anonymousreply 6508/01/2013

There are actually people on here who defend Catholicism?

GROW UP, you morons. It's all make believe. There is no god. Pick up a fucking science book--there are many that are easy to read. What is wrong with you?

Adults who believe in fairy tales have zero intellectual credibility. Period. No respect for them.

by Anonymousreply 6608/01/2013

[quote]When you non believers are burning in the fires of hell, FOREVER! you will wished you had thought differently.[/quote]

I'll skip the obligatory "Oh dear...."

We'll save you a seat, judgmental christstain cunt (please pardon the double redundancy).

by Anonymousreply 6708/01/2013

[quote]Our God cannot force us to do anything.

So your god isn't omnipotent.

by Anonymousreply 6808/01/2013

Here's a great quote from the Guardian from a former priest - way back in 2000 - which is every bit as relevant now:

"As a former Roman Catholic priest who is gay, I sympathise very much with the dilemma of the anonymous priest from Scotland (Letters, February 1). My own solution was to leave the church because honesty with myself was far preferable to fear and secrecy. Gay Catholic priests are whistling in the dark waiting for change to happen. The church has not moved one millimetre on gay issues. And it won't until gay priests celebrate their sexuality openly and challenge the brutal and inhuman language of arrogant prelates like Cardinal Winning. There is no way of mitigating teachings which describe gay people as subhuman and inferior. They are just plain wrong. Far too few Roman Catholic priests have had the courage to stand up and say this. Since a substantial proportion of them is gay, it is high time they did.

Fear cripples the human spirit. Leaving monastic life after 11 years was not the end of the world; far better than obedient silence.

Andrew Pearson"

by Anonymousreply 6908/01/2013

you bitter cunts can rationalize all you want, but I love going to catholic mass...LOVE IT!

by Anonymousreply 7008/01/2013

I like the incense, R70, but the church I was forced to attend most Sundays growing up only brought out that stuff during holiday masses.

It's not irrational to enjoy the scents and sounds, but all the other stuff IS irrational. It starts with a belief in a god and just gets more ridiculous from there.

by Anonymousreply 7108/01/2013

We all have crosses to bear in this life in one way or another. When someone is gay, one of the crosses one has to bear is to live a life of celibacy and refrain from sexual acts as they are a mortal sin.

We can take solice in the fact that we will be richly rewarded in Heaven for our sacrifice here on Earth.

by Anonymousreply 7208/01/2013

Jesus fucking christ, that's the most pathetic thing I've ever read, if you are gay, KKKatholic, and actually subscribe to it, R72.

Get therapy. From a non-KKKatholic, gay-friendly person who teaches you that who you are and who you love is not your cross to bear. Illnesses, grief/loss, and the sad things that happen in the world are the things we have to cope with, put up with, transcend, or survive.

Our orientation and our ability to love one another both emotionally and physically is a major feature that god-believers cite when they cite the generosity of their god. So how can you rationalize a god so cruel as to deny you (and us) that? It makes no sense.

"Religion's just a trap/ That ensnares the weak and the dumb/ Stop with the prayers"

by Anonymousreply 7308/01/2013

[quote]We all have crosses to bear in this life in one way or another. [quote]

You got that right, [R72]. And mine was reading that festering pile of excrement you posted. Feel free to take your own mortal sins from that post and shove them up your cunt (if there's room, what with your head and your boyfriend's dick up there).

Grow from love!

by Anonymousreply 7408/02/2013

Don't do it!

by Anonymousreply 7508/02/2013

You must really love him. That would be a deal-breaker for me.

by Anonymousreply 7608/02/2013

faith becomes a light capable of illumining all our relationships in society. As an experience of the mercy of God the Father, it sets us on the path of brotherhood. Modernity sought to build a universal brotherhood based on equality, yet we gradually came to realize that this brotherhood, lacking a reference to a common Father as its ultimate foundation, cannot endure. We need to return to the true basis of brotherhood. The history of faith has been from the beginning a history of brotherhood, albeit not without conflict. God calls Abraham to go forth from his land and promises to make of him a great nation, a great people on whom the divine blessing rests (cf. Gen 12:1-3). As salvation history progresses, it becomes evident that God wants to make everyone share as brothers and sisters in that one blessing, which attains its fullness in Jesus, so that all may be one. The boundless love of our Father also comes to us, in Jesus, through our brothers and sisters. Faith teaches us to see that every man and woman represents a blessing for me, that the light of God's face shines on me through the faces of my brothers and sisters.

by Anonymousreply 7708/02/2013

During the late 19th century, many gay artists and intellectuals converted to Catholicism, especially in England. They were attracted by the art, the music, the ritual, and perhaps by the relationship between unmarried priests and their acolytes.

by Anonymousreply 7808/08/2013

Why would you want to join an organization that is so hopelessly outdated and irrelevant? Are you going to give up your cell phone and communicate only using a telegraph?

by Anonymousreply 7908/08/2013

Both the OP & his partner need to grow a set and convert to Episcopalians. Why share a religion that only the 3rd world falls for? Plus Episcopalians are #1 on the socio-economic ladder. Women aren't considered 2nd class in that religion & it is Christian, so you're covered if you still believe in standard religions. Make the jump!

by Anonymousreply 8008/08/2013

Religion is a crutch and a crock, get real.

by Anonymousreply 8108/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.