Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Oprah Winfrey’s OWN network turns a profit six months sooner than expected thanks to Tyler Perry shows

[italic]Discovery Communications, which jointly owns the two-year old channel with Winfrey's Harpo, said OWN moved out of the red faster than expected as two new Tyler Perry series — “The Haves and Have Nots" and “Love Thy Neighbor” — helped lure viewers.[/italic]

It's enough to get Oprah herself jumping on a couch for joy.

Oprah Winfrey's OWN network is finally turning a profit after months of struggling through layoffs and executive departures.

Discovery Communications, which jointly owns the two-year old channel with Winfrey's Harpo, said OWN moved out of the red faster than expected as two new Tyler Perry series — “The Haves and Have Nots" and “Love Thy Neighbor” — helped lure viewers.

Discovery CEO David Zaslav said on a conference call with analysts on Tuesday that the network had the “highest growth of any cable network in the second quarter” and that the company had signed on 30 new ad partners.

“As long as we continue to grow our audience, we're going to find very receptive buyers,” he said.

by Anonymousreply 1007/31/2013

One closet queen helps out another closet queen.

by Anonymousreply 107/30/2013

That network is a Snoooozzzzeeeee....

by Anonymousreply 207/30/2013

I'm happy for her. Between the Tyler shows, Iyanla Fix My Life (which is usually a hot mess of a show and like a car crash that you just can't take your eyes off of), Sweetie Pies and LaToya's reality show, I can see how OWN is finally coming up in the ranks. Oprah usually gets the high-profile interviews too, which likely draw big numbers.

by Anonymousreply 307/30/2013

Rosie's Return is the next possibility.

by Anonymousreply 407/30/2013

Did showing the soaps OLTL and AMC help?

by Anonymousreply 507/30/2013

It only took it two and a half years not to be a disaster!

by Anonymousreply 607/30/2013

It turned profitable only after they cut Oprah's personal meal budget.

by Anonymousreply 707/30/2013

It's not really the high-minded neo-spiritual programming she had in mind, is it?

by Anonymousreply 807/30/2013

r3

[quote] I'm happy for her.

Yes. She really needed a break.

by Anonymousreply 907/30/2013

Go Opes!

by Anonymousreply 1007/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!