Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why do gay men demand that their divas be straight and not lez or bi?

What is the psychology (101) behind it?

by Anonymousreply 4605/01/2015

Beth Ditto is a lea and some youngsters' diva.

by Anonymousreply 107/30/2013

What are you talking about? Gay men love(d) Dusty Springfield who was the dykiest dyke who ever dyked.

by Anonymousreply 207/30/2013

Erm...KD Lang? Tallulah Bankhead?

by Anonymousreply 307/30/2013

What R2 said. Dusty Springfield.

by Anonymousreply 407/30/2013

Men who worship and follow divas are pathetic front the start. There are so many things wrong with them that you can't rationalize their bizarre disorder.

by Anonymousreply 507/30/2013

I think the intrinsic part is the diva-ness. A sordid, sad, Lifetime movie of a childhood, abusive relationships, multiple addictions and a wardrobe that many ostriches gave their all to create is the bedrock, sexuality is an afterthought.

There's a sense of fellow suffering for some, and the big blowsy drama-filled showstopper numbers have all the elements of a "that song is about my life" crying fit. Sometimes a 3am, drunk, rendition of a Shirley Bassey song is just what you need.

by Anonymousreply 607/30/2013

Why do people start threads that demonstrate their stupidity for the entire world to see?

by Anonymousreply 707/30/2013

Hmmm... Cher or Rosie O'Donnell?... tough decision

by Anonymousreply 907/30/2013

You really can't tell OP? It's not that deep.

Gay men can empathize better with a straight female. They prefer tragically unsuccessful with the men they want. Overweight or homely is usually a plus. But they can also see themselves as fabulously, fiercely being themselves.

There have certainly been some lez/bi divas (Whitney and Dusty first and foremost).

by Anonymousreply 1007/30/2013

[quote]Better question would be why don't gay men try supporting gay male entertainers instead of always women?

Which ones? The list is so long, it's difficult to figure out which ones you mean. Are you looking to Elton John, special friend of Rush Limbaugh? What about Cheyenne Jackson who just dumped his husband; does he need our support?

by Anonymousreply 1107/30/2013

Why do some gay men even find divas worth paying attention to? How embarrassing and unmanly.

by Anonymousreply 1208/04/2013

I don't know, dahlink...

by Anonymousreply 1308/04/2013

[quote]Better question would be why don't gay men try supporting gay male entertainers instead of always women?

Come back R8. Provide a list of ten gay male entertainers who need the support of gay men.

by Anonymousreply 1408/04/2013

I've noticed this as well. When you talk about Marilyn Monroe's, Joan Crawford's, Judy Garland's, Liza Minnelli's lesbian affairs, these kind of gay men freeeeeeak out. It's like you're tarnishing their idols with pussy-loving. Can't have that. Look, now that I've mentioned Marilyn's bisexual behaviour, a whole horde of gay men of a certain age will swoop down on this thread to "defend" her. It's implicitly homophobic. Just you watch.

by Anonymousreply 1508/04/2013

Marilyn may have dipped in the lady pond but she is reported to have disliked it.

I think that Marilyn was asexual, a result of having been used and abused her entire life.

Also, having teamed up with alcoholic Joan Crawford may not have been the best choice for an excursion.

However, who knows--Marilyn was a nervous Gemini always on the lookout.

by Anonymousreply 1608/04/2013

And I believe that Marilyn had a Leo rising which gave her a need for attention and flattery.

I can't imagine Joan providing that, however.

by Anonymousreply 1708/04/2013

they want that the straight divas get fucked by well-hung handsome studs - and then can self-identify

by Anonymousreply 1808/04/2013

Where are you noticing this R15? Do you hang out with extremely ancient gay men? I've never met any gay man who can't deal with those women having lesbian affairs. Actually, I don't know any gay men who idolize Monroe, Crawford, Garland, and Minelli. Wouldn't those women be idolized by gay men in their 80s?

by Anonymousreply 1908/04/2013

Marilyn had affairs with Lili St. Cyr (longterm), Natasha Lytess (longterm) and Ava Gardner too (real reason Frank Sinatra and Joe DiMaggio busted down the door). So it wasn't just Crawford (admittedly not a good prospect).

by Anonymousreply 2008/04/2013

Good point, R18. It's mainly been here at Datalounge. So I guess you're right in that it is a demographic of extremely ancient gay men.

by Anonymousreply 2108/04/2013

I agree r7!

by Anonymousreply 2208/04/2013

Hate to break it to ya r23...

by Anonymousreply 2408/06/2013

Liza is a Lez.

by Anonymousreply 2508/06/2013

Liza is indeed a les

by Anonymousreply 2608/06/2013

Well,it`s because gays don`t really project themselves as lesbians (or even bi women)...

by Anonymousreply 2708/06/2013

Only very effeminate dudes are into divas at all. It is an abnormal group of males to start with,

by Anonymousreply 2808/06/2013

I see you prefer the more manly method of guys shitting your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 2908/07/2013

This is one stupid thread.

People, gay and straight, who like divas usually like them because they're "bigger than life". I have straight friends who LOVE k.d.lang singing Crying and gay friends who hate Patti in everything. It's personal taste.

Did anyone really care whether Agnes Moorehead was a lesbian when she worked those caftans on Bewitched?

by Anonymousreply 3008/07/2013

Les is mor.

by Anonymousreply 3108/07/2013

To R28 and others of his ilk: nothing wrong with admiring and being a fan of a singer, an actress or an entertainter- or an athlete, or a scientist, or a politician. Having role models or even idols can be very empowering. Assuming there is something "pathetic" about a gay man idolizing a woman, whether Hillary Clinton or Madonna is in my opinion, homophobic and misogenist. Same thing as a straight guy idolizing Obama or Derek Jeter.

by Anonymousreply 3208/07/2013

Jazz diva Billie Holiday was bisexual. So is pop diva Lady Gaga. And we all heard lesbian rumors about Whitney Houston.

by Anonymousreply 3308/07/2013

Isn't Lena Horne a gay idol? She had plenty of same sex affairs in her life and both charlie and David Ehrenstein did everything in their power to prove otherwise. Like we were "insulting" Lena by talking about her lesbian machismo.

by Anonymousreply 3508/07/2013

Lady Gaga? Please, that phony has never tasted pussy.

by Anonymousreply 3608/07/2013

I acknowledge the stupidity of this post. When I wrote it, I had David Ehrenstein and posters on past DL threads on Katharine Hepburn and Lena Horne in mind who vehemently denied their same-sex leanings.

by Anonymousreply 3708/07/2013

I automatically find dudes into divas to be unattractive. Not exactly a manly trait.

by Anonymousreply 3812/27/2013

R5, you have a disorder as well. You have this constant need to interrupt other people's conversations with your psychotic rantings. Seek help.

by Anonymousreply 3912/27/2013

extreme feminization does that

by Anonymousreply 4001/20/2014

"Why do gay men demand that their divas be straight and not lez or bi?"

What a load of horseshit. This speaks more to your homophobia, OP, than it does to gay men's "demands" as you imagine them.

And of course, the hateful hags who think gays should be their pets chime in with their alleged feminism when they could give a fuck about other women. For most, straight men have disappointed them. But their straight privilege dictates that gay men should be doing their bidding. And now we've disappointed them. Take ownership of your bitter bitchiness, hags. Don't blame it on us.

At least I'm not bitter. J.K. I'm so totally bitter.

by Anonymousreply 4101/20/2014

Gay men traditionally were drawn to Divas because Divas flamboyantly express themselves and their affection in a way that gay men were trained to repress. They could also be the non-judgmental, assertive, glamorous mother we wish we had. Being lesbian didn't fit the plot. BTW, Dusty was very covertly lesbian and she was very femme. We thought she was singing about dudes.

The world has changed so much. I cant even conceive of a young gay boy today looking at Miley or Britney or Rihanna the way I idolised Diana Ross or Cher or Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 4201/21/2014

I hope so, r42.

by Anonymousreply 4302/14/2014

by Anonymousreply 4405/01/2015

Gay men still have Divas? I thought that was now a delusion held by female performers and their marketing teams.

by Anonymousreply 4505/01/2015

Because they loathe lesbians and believe lesbians are failed women, OP. So they deny their lesbianness all they can because in their mind it's an insult.

Also, they vehemently diminish their idols affairs with women as if they didnt count.

by Anonymousreply 4605/01/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!