Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why is the movie CLUE not discussed more on DL?

My Facebook News Feed is currently filled with gays linking to and referencing lines and scenes from CLUE to salute Eileen Brennan's death, which would lead me to think it's a beloved gay movie. However, it never seems to get discussed here on DL. Even on the couple of Eileen Brennan threads currently on the front page, it's barely mentioned.

I'm not expecting it to get the impassioned 600-post threads that DL's favorite movies like HELLO, DOLLY! and MAME get, but why is it so overlooked on here when all the real-world gays I know seem to like it?

by Anonymousreply 4309/03/2013

Because it's pretty thin, except for the one great scene of Madeline Kahn confessing to the murder.

"F-f-f-flames... On the side of my face. H-h-huh... Heaving breaths..."

by Anonymousreply 107/30/2013

The Go-Go's Jane Wiedlin as the Singing Telegram Girl always cracked me up as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 207/30/2013

Bullshit, R1. Lesley Ann Warren was the star of that movie, and the singing telegram was the best part.

by Anonymousreply 307/30/2013

What the hell is this movie?

by Anonymousreply 407/30/2013

It was made when the idea of a movie based on a game couldn't be taken seriously (and movie stars did not make guest appearances on TV shows).

by Anonymousreply 507/30/2013

"Murder by Death" was a better movie. But both are better than the execrable "Whodunnit" reality series on ABC this summer.

by Anonymousreply 607/30/2013

I said shake, rattle, and roll!

by Anonymousreply 707/30/2013

Finally a thread about my favorite movie! Tim Curry gives a real Tour de France performance, especially when he recaps the entire movie near the end.

Some fav lines:

"Mrs. Peacock was a man?!?"

"His head had been cut off and so had know."

"And you'd got a letter and you'd got a letter and you'd got a letter."

"To make a long story short...Too late!"

"Life after death is as improbable as sex after marriage."

"But look what happened to the cook!"

"Could somebody help me please? Could me...please?"

by Anonymousreply 807/30/2013

It was a huge flop.

by Anonymousreply 907/30/2013

I saw it three times in the theatres so that I could see all three endings.

by Anonymousreply 1007/30/2013

by Anonymousreply 1107/30/2013

I'm not sure I've ever seen it all the way through in one sitting, but I think I've seen all of it since its on TV all the time. It's really pretty clever, but nothing revolutionary.

by Anonymousreply 1207/30/2013

I tried watching this about a month ago and I only lasted 20 minutes before I turned it off. Terrible movie.

by Anonymousreply 1307/30/2013

[quote] Tim Curry gives a real Tour de France performance

Did he play Lance Armstrong?

by Anonymousreply 1407/31/2013

It cost $15M and grossed a little over $3M at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 1507/31/2013

It is a godawful unfunny mess of a movie. And I say that as a Tim Curry acolyte.

by Anonymousreply 1607/31/2013

r16, shut your dirty whore mouth.

by Anonymousreply 1707/31/2013

I'm with r16. Truly awful, stupid and unfunny. Unless it gets better after the first 20 mn because that was all I could take of it.

However I'm sure that copious amount of pot and alcohol would drastically enhance the viewing experience. After all that's how I came to love "Shock Treatment", The Rocky Horror Picture Show's ill-fated second coming and one of the most despised sequels in history.

by Anonymousreply 1807/31/2013

I was eleven or twelve when it came out, and it was a comedy classic among me and my friends (we will still watch and quote it to this day). But I remember that everyone else hated it. I find it much funnier than any of the raunchy, gross out comedies today. We also loved Top Secret!, Naked Gun, and other silly movies that most people can't sit through.

by Anonymousreply 1907/31/2013

Is there some sort of "Clue" curse?? First, Tim Curry has a stroke and now Eileen Brennan kicks the bucket...

by Anonymousreply 2007/31/2013

It's considered a touchstone for Gen Y, but if you were in high school or an adult when it came out, you can see the flaws. I tend to feel the same way about it as I do Saved By the Bell, except Clue is far better acted.

FYI: Psych recently did a spoof of it, and several of the original cast members made cameos.

by Anonymousreply 2107/31/2013

It had what I called "game show humor." Very broad stuff that would make a Match Game 76 or Hollywood Squates audience laugh. Not clever enough for a film. Good actors wasted on bad material.

by Anonymousreply 2207/31/2013

Favorite Eileen Brennan line as Mrs Peacock.

Mrs White: "We should have made sure he was dead"

Mrs Peacock: "How? By cutting his head off I suppose?"

and at the end " Get your hands off me, I'm a Senators' WIFE!"

by Anonymousreply 2307/31/2013

There have been several threads about this film.

The film was a huge mis-fire. The thinking was that people would see the film numerous times to see all the endings. The reality was that people stayed away because they would always be missing an ending.

by Anonymousreply 2407/31/2013

because it sucks?

by Anonymousreply 2507/31/2013

The Clue remake was trashed.

by Anonymousreply 2607/31/2013

Murder By Death is a beloved film here at DL, and I think most posters see Clue as a kind of cheap knock-off...

by Anonymousreply 2707/31/2013

Murder by Death wouldn't make sense to a younger generation who doesn't know Sam Spade or Nick and Nora Charles.

by Anonymousreply 2807/31/2013

Madeline Kahn is a GODDESS.

by Anonymousreply 2907/31/2013

>>Murder by Death wouldn't make sense to a younger generation who doesn't know Sam Spade or Nick and Nora Charles>>

LOTS of wonderful things don't make sense to a younger generation. Who gives a fuck? Doesn't make Clue any better...

by Anonymousreply 3007/31/2013

R14 brush up on your Golden Girls for that Tour de France reference.

by Anonymousreply 3107/31/2013

"Mrs. Peacock was a man?!?!?!?"

Slap. Smack. BOING!

"Could I interest anyone in fruit or dessert?"

by Anonymousreply 3207/31/2013

Because it's not funny, and never was.

I saw it the opening weekend. The audience seemed to hate it, frankly.

by Anonymousreply 3307/31/2013

I think you have to be young to love this movie. I saw it when it came out, I was either 7 or 8 years old, and thought it was uproariously funny.

by Anonymousreply 3407/31/2013

I wasn't even alive when it came out, and I still found it funny.

by Anonymousreply 3507/31/2013

I love it, too, but I'm the same age as R36.

by Anonymousreply 3607/31/2013

Indeed! I think you have to be that age when scary Victorian mansions on spooky nights are sort of fascinating.

It's sort of 80s, Muppets humor--which I still love.

by Anonymousreply 3707/31/2013

It was like a Carol Burnett Show skit that never ended.

by Anonymousreply 3807/31/2013

The scene in the library when the storm is just beginning always delighted me, R39! I totally agree.

by Anonymousreply 3907/31/2013

Bump for the big BuzzFeed feature.

by Anonymousreply 4009/02/2013

Haha, I just Googled this thread in order to bump it for the BuzzFeed article, but you beat me to it, r42!

It's really a must-read for anyone who enjoys this movie!

by Anonymousreply 4109/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!