Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Physical revulsion to certain foods?

The smells of cheese and seafood will make me wretch.

Is this normal? Is it psychosomatic?

by Anonymousreply 9608/02/2013

Liver. Just the smell of it cooking makes me gag.

by Anonymousreply 107/30/2013

Any greasy breakfast cooking odors: bacon or sausage and eggs

Microwave popcorn in an enclosed room such as the staff lounge at work

by Anonymousreply 207/30/2013

The smell of bread and butter pudding causes me to literally retch.

by Anonymousreply 307/30/2013

[quote]Microwave popcorn in an enclosed room such as the staff lounge at work

Ugh - I just had a flashback to a job I hated 7 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 407/30/2013

The smell of mushrooms on a pizza or sautéing in butter make me retch.

I don't know how anyone can eat those utterly vile things.

by Anonymousreply 507/30/2013

Olives uuugghhhhhhh

by Anonymousreply 607/30/2013

Dark-meat poultry.

by Anonymousreply 707/30/2013

The smell of Spearmint or Doublemint gum being chewed. Makes me want to vomit. I'm not a big fan of mint anyway, but these two are horrid.

by Anonymousreply 807/30/2013

Eating the junk food Twinkies literally closes down my throat. Admittedly, a twinkie's junk in my throat opens it right back up.

by Anonymousreply 907/30/2013

With the OP on cheese. Never understood the attraction for rancid milk products. Parmesan is among the worst - who the hell wants his food smelling of sweaty, unwashed feet? Norwegian goat's cheese looks like snot.

The smell of other foods doesn't bother me, however, textures are another matter. I tried a scallop and salmon mousse once and did a great job keeping both mouthfuls down.

by Anonymousreply 1007/30/2013

Ditto the smell of microwave popcorn, and the chemical odor in hot pockets and other highly processed, fake "food." Also fried liver has horrible memories.

by Anonymousreply 1107/30/2013

I've never heard of bread and butter pudding before R3

by Anonymousreply 1207/30/2013

I'm not so finicky.

by Anonymousreply 1307/30/2013

Goat cheese and all blue and mature cheeses, definitely.

by Anonymousreply 1407/30/2013

Curry. Vomit city.

by Anonymousreply 1507/30/2013

The smell of cheap wine leads me to vomit, even before consumption.

by Anonymousreply 1607/30/2013

"Curry. Vomit city."

I have the exact same reaction to her.

by Anonymousreply 1707/30/2013

Norwegian goat cheese tastes like carmel candies

by Anonymousreply 1807/30/2013

Gross-smelling cheese: Tilsit and Esrom

by Anonymousreply 1907/30/2013

Mushrooms and fish. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 2007/30/2013

Kimchee smells like a decomposing body.

by Anonymousreply 2107/30/2013

"Mushrooms and fish."

Just reading that makes me hard and want to grab my camera.

by Anonymousreply 2207/30/2013

I'm with the OP on seafood. Especially shrimp. How anyone can eat those smelly little sea vermin is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 2307/30/2013

There are only two food odours I can't stand: cucumbers and fresh vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 2407/30/2013

Beets. Gag.

by Anonymousreply 2507/30/2013

Eggs. Every morning the guy in the cube behind me gets some kind of eggs for breakfast, and every morning I leave the office to get fresh air. Can't handle it.

by Anonymousreply 2607/30/2013

Salmon.

I hate the look of it, the texture of it, the color of it, the taste if it and the smell of it.

I was at a friend's home once where a huge salmon was cooked and served at a party. It smelled like a burning tampon while it cooked.

by Anonymousreply 2707/30/2013

You're all such delicate flowers.

by Anonymousreply 2807/30/2013

Cooked feta cheese (like in an omlette). To me it smells like vomit.

Don't notice it when it's fresh, but when it's cooked, or heated in some way it smells like someone just upchucked in the room.

by Anonymousreply 2907/30/2013

I'm revolted by liver, butter, and popcorn cooking. I also hate the smell of fast food. I hold my breath when I have to drive past someplace like McDonalds; the stench comes into my car even with all the windows shut.

But I love aged cheeses, any kind of fish including salmon, and almost every kind of fruit and vegetable.

Durian is a big exception. It's repulsive to me.

by Anonymousreply 3007/30/2013

When you are in an elevator with someone and the other person has a bag of food from McDonald's.

by Anonymousreply 3107/30/2013

Meat. I have been known to vomit at the stench...

by Anonymousreply 3207/30/2013

Asian food markets.

by Anonymousreply 3307/30/2013

A burning USED tampon

by Anonymousreply 3407/30/2013

Oysters are the worst. AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS

by Anonymousreply 3507/30/2013

Liver is truly disgusting as well.

Don't like brussel sprouts either and won't eat them but at least the smell won't make me vomit.

by Anonymousreply 3607/30/2013

Apparently, I have an almost supernatural ability to taste when spinach is on the turn. To me, it tastes like mildew if it is not fresh. Cooked or raw. I can taste old spinach in a salad as well as in a spanokopita.

And I love spanokopita. To me, a fresh spanokopita is one of the best tastes around. It's such a letdown to take that first bite and get that moldy aftertaste.

Yet other people will eat the salad or spanokopita and tell me it tastes fine to them. I only wish it tasted fine to me, for I love fresh spinach.

by Anonymousreply 3707/30/2013

The smell of mussels cooking.

by Anonymousreply 3807/30/2013

I truly feel sorry for people who can't appreciate good food. Aged cheeses? Woodsy, fresh mushrooms? Briny oysters? Fast food I get. Good food I don't. We couldn't friends.

by Anonymousreply 3907/30/2013

Why couldn't we friends?

by Anonymousreply 4007/30/2013

Soft squashes. I'm certain Hell is made from soft squash, cooking forever.

by Anonymousreply 4107/30/2013

I am with r5. I've detested mushrooms since I was a child and the smell of them sautéing in butter was so disgusting I used to beg my mom not to cook them. Apparently, I never outgrew my revulsion because I was a guest in someone's home and they were cooking them that way and the smell nearly made me sick.

I accidentally ate a piece of Portobello mushroom. I thought it was grilled eggplant, it was in a grilled vegetable station at a buffet and it was dark. It was like eating the inside of my own mouth. I had to spit it out.

I don't have "baby tastes" and will generally try anything at least once. Except mushrooms, for which I suffer a physical revulsion.

by Anonymousreply 4207/30/2013

The smell of calories

by Anonymousreply 4307/30/2013

You people are weird.

by Anonymousreply 4407/30/2013

Eggs and beans. I vomited from the smell.

by Anonymousreply 4507/30/2013

Well, since you asked. Take a note. Sugar, salt, dairy, carbs, gluten, lactose, coffee, tea, rice, pasta, bread, butter, eggs, burgers (from a 3 mile radius), tap water, fizzy drinks (instant collapse almost unavoidable), frying oil, peanut butter, additives, preservatives, chocolate...

Oh, I haven't got time to save you little people from yourselves. Check the website already, commoners.

by Anonymousreply 4607/30/2013

The only guy in our office who drinks coffee makes a huge pot at 9:00 and drinks it all day. By 1:00 or 2:00, it smells so nasty that I hate to go into the kitchen. I don't know why he doesn't make a smaller pot and then a second one in the afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 4707/30/2013

r3 Infidel! Bread pudding proves that God loves us, and wants us to be happy. r12 It's a great old-fashioned dessert, not highly thought of anymore, especially around these parts. r6 Couldn't agree more, olives are vile comestibles. Their only function should be producing that luscious, unctuous green/gold elixir, extra virgin olive oil. If we're talking loathsome foods, red beets are at the top of the list. From what bowel of Hell did they originate?

by Anonymousreply 4807/30/2013

Pickles, olives and mushrooms

Pickles are the worst, can't stand them. Even the smell of pickles or something that has been pickled makes me want to vomit.

by Anonymousreply 4907/30/2013

I'm glad I don't know anyone on this thread. Whiny babies, the lot of you.

by Anonymousreply 5007/30/2013

r49 Pickles, to be sure. As well as mustard, mayo(unless I make it myself) and most bottled salad dressings.

by Anonymousreply 5107/30/2013

Goat Cheese (I love most other cheeses)

Mushrooms

Olives

Mushrooms

Calamari, raw Oysters (I love most other seafood)

And, of course, mushrooms.

Mushrooms ruin anything they're put in, and render it inedible.

by Anonymousreply 5207/31/2013

Who are you grown ass people who can't handle the smells of food? Are you so sheltered and gentle that you literally can't deal with everyday foods like fish, eggs and cheese?

What the ACTUAL fuck???

by Anonymousreply 5307/31/2013

The smell of Spearmint or Doublemint gum being chewed. Makes me want to vomit.

Same here. Anything mint makes me want to throw up actually.

by Anonymousreply 5407/31/2013

Isn't this the ultimate expression of Mary-ness, that people in this thread can't express their dislike for certain foods without going overboard?

by Anonymousreply 5507/31/2013

Mayonnaise. It is revolting, I can't look at it, smell it and of course it eat. Not sure why, just born with the deep-seated loathing almost fear.

by the way R9, you've been W&W!

by Anonymousreply 5607/31/2013

Olives and olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 5707/31/2013

R56, do you eat eggs and oil separately? Is it the emulsion you can't tolerate?

That's an odd revulsion.

by Anonymousreply 5807/31/2013

#FirstWorldProblems

by Anonymousreply 5907/31/2013

This thread is filled with fucking pussies.

I would tell you to grow up, but then again, I know the average age around here is 70-plus, and you'll never change.

by Anonymousreply 6007/31/2013

Just about any other person's food being nuked in the microwave at work. Of course, fish and other really stinky stuff is the worst.

I love cheese, but yes, agree its smell is atrocious. Parmesan smells like rancid B.O.

by Anonymousreply 6107/31/2013

The office where I used to work employed two Chinese women. They brought lunch and nuked it in the kitchen. It was always fish-based and it smelled horrible. The office manager finally had to ask them to refrain from bringing in smelly food because it was wafting out into the reception area and the conference rooms.

by Anonymousreply 6207/31/2013

Plankton

by Anonymousreply 6307/31/2013

I think it is psychosomatic. I blame this thread. :(

I had fish and chips from a chip shop a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had it again last night and felt sick cause I was sure there was a bone there and there probably wasn't.

I used to always love McD's Fillet of Fish but the last time I had it I think there was a bone in it which also made me wretch. Fucking nasty and my fault for eating shit take away garbage.

So fish is one. Beyond that, I really dislike the smell of coffee, though oddly don't mind it to drink. Beetroot is disgusting and was one before that just the smell of made me ill.

by Anonymousreply 6407/31/2013

Retch, not wretch. Two different words.

I'm with those mocking the posters sharing their food loathings. I have a lot, too, but only really babyish people have to describe things as 'making me vomit'. Weirdest thing is it's such a straight-woman way of talking.

Can't people write about what they hate without being so graphic that they're clearly intending to pass on their own sensitivities? Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 6507/31/2013

Spinach. Reminds me of cow pat.

by Anonymousreply 6607/31/2013

Now I think I knew that it was "retch" r65 but typed unthinkingly without checking. How wretched. Oh well, nice to be corrected for once, maybe now it will stick.

by Anonymousreply 6707/31/2013

Goddamn motherfucking tuna casserole.

With peas in it, to boot.

I'm outta here!

by Anonymousreply 6807/31/2013

Tomato is another one - not so much revulsion as just can't eat. Unless it's one of those juicy cherry baby tomatos or it's in a burger. And I love/was addicted to tomato sauce. Tomato juice I think is my idea of hell.

Oh yes, how could I forget: apple juice. Detest that with the fire of a thousand suns. And it's always used as a sweetener in other juices and smoothies and shit. Kill it now.

by Anonymousreply 6907/31/2013

[quote]but only really babyish people have to describe things as 'making me vomit'.

I assure you, when I say it "makes me gag violently" and makes me physically ill, to the point of vomiting... I'm being completely factual and literal.

Just like coming across a strong smell of rotting meat makes almost everyone gag. Or being near someone vomiting (and smelling it) can make many people vomit as well.

It's a physiological reaction, not a psychological one.

It has nothing to do with being histrionic or having 'baby tastes'.

At least, not in my case. I'm sure there are some people who are exaggerating or being dramatic, but I assure you, I was not.

When my parents sautéed mushrooms, I had to leave the house, or I got physically ill. And it takes all my self-control not to gag or get sick if I smell them to this day. I have to physically remove myself from the area. Always.

by Anonymousreply 7007/31/2013

If I knew you, R70, I would invite you for dinner and serve mushrooms for every course but dessert.

by Anonymousreply 7107/31/2013

Onions. The smell, the taste, the texture...

by Anonymousreply 7207/31/2013

R71, that's because you're a petty and vindictive asshole.

Don't worry, I wouldn't be your friend (and wouldn't stay at your dinner very long).

by Anonymousreply 7307/31/2013

I wouldn't want you and your delicate gag reflex to hang around, R73.

An ex used to try to use his delicate sensibilities to control everything and everyone around him. It was fun saying goodbye to him.

by Anonymousreply 7407/31/2013

R56. I do eat the ingredients separately, so I'm certain you are right about the two them mixing or not as it were. a horrific concoction.

by Anonymousreply 7507/31/2013

Vomiting is my least favourite thing in the world. I hate hate hate it! :( Though I think the nausea is actually the worst thing.

Re: twinkies. Those are sold in American candy shops in the UK and are REAL nice, yum. That was the one I kept coming back to along with laffy taffys.

by Anonymousreply 7607/31/2013

I get sick when I eat people's vomit.

by Anonymousreply 7707/31/2013

I'm generally very open minded when it comes to food, but there is one thing that the taste, smell, sight and even thought of will cause my stomach to turn: mango.

by Anonymousreply 7807/31/2013

mayonnaise.

by Anonymousreply 7907/31/2013

OP you are pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 8007/31/2013

- mayonnaise

- read meat

by Anonymousreply 8107/31/2013

I cannot stand the smell of microwave popcorn. It's stomach churning to me.

by Anonymousreply 8207/31/2013

It makes me think that the physical revulsion - not just dislike, but actual revulsion, is tied to evolution somehow. Many mushrooms are poisonous. It could be a leftover instinct to avoid mushrooms for some. Microwave popcorn has toxic chemicals; for some, their senses tell them to avoid it.

When I was a teenager I drank gin and Sprite and vomited for hours. To this day the smell of either gin or Sprite makes me queasy. I haven't touched either since.

by Anonymousreply 8307/31/2013

R49 and R51 - Thanks for saying pickles and mustard. I really hate their smell too. Most people I've told find this strange.

I don't mind scrambled or fried eggs cooking, but deviled eggs smell really gross to me.

by Anonymousreply 8407/31/2013

[quote]but deviled eggs smell really gross to me.

That's because they contain mustard, which you hate :-)

by Anonymousreply 8507/31/2013

The common denominator there is vinegar, R84.

by Anonymousreply 8607/31/2013

To R48. Bread pudding is different from bread and butter pudding.

Just so you know.

by Anonymousreply 8707/31/2013

Escargot. Escarstop. Too booger-like, if I remember the taste of boogers from my callow youth. God knows, I haven't eaten one in quite some time!

by Anonymousreply 8807/31/2013

Watermelon and raw cucumber.

(urf, urf, HURL!)

by Anonymousreply 8907/31/2013

[quote]Mayonnaise. It is revolting, I can't look at it, smell it and of course it eat. Not sure why, just born with the deep-seated loathing almost fear.

Couldn't agree more. Like you, I have no idea why mayo freaks me out and repulses me so much, but it does.

by Anonymousreply 9007/31/2013

Tuna. Bananas.

by Anonymousreply 9107/31/2013

The worst is when you've just conquered the need to vomit, and you realize the trailer-trash wedding entre reeks just like you ex-husband's unwashed what-nots... front OR back...

by Anonymousreply 9207/31/2013

Cotton candy...yuck

by Anonymousreply 9308/01/2013

There's a distinction between just not liking (or even hating) something, and having a "physical revulsion" to it.

I simply don't like olives.

I have a physical revulsion to mushrooms and goat-cheese.

by Anonymousreply 9408/01/2013

Gays

by Anonymousreply 9508/01/2013

r87 Would you mind explaining the differences? I had assumed you were using a variation on the name I had used. Is bread and butter pudding similar to what the Brits call "Summer Pudding"?

by Anonymousreply 9608/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.