Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm joining this very progressive church.

Are any of you bitches already active UUs? Spill the dirt.

by Anonymousreply 3208/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 107/31/2013

Basically crazies. Well intentioned crazies sometimes, but crazy. The Unitarian and Universalist movements of the 19th century had a lot of good, but the Unitarians of today are basically Michfest for everyone. If you do attend, do not get involved in church operations or governance. You will quickly discover the toxic reality behind all of the progressive sweetness and light.

by Anonymousreply 207/31/2013

I know and have worked with many of the "UUs" over the decades . . . . all decent, approachable, non-judgmental good spirited folks . . . . enjoyable to be around . . . . mostly very socially liberal . . . . local UU group has many gay folks.

by Anonymousreply 307/31/2013

[quote]Are any of you bitches already active UUs?

Here and there a jackass will get in. You should do well there, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 407/31/2013

What do you get when you cross a Jehovah’s Witness with a Unitarian?

Someone who knocks on your door for no apparent reason.

by Anonymousreply 507/31/2013

OP, I happy for you if you can find a church that fits your needs.

Do me a favor--can you report back here with your observations?

by Anonymousreply 607/31/2013

When's the only time you hear "Jesus Christ" in a Unitarian church?

When a banner falls off the wall.

by Anonymousreply 707/31/2013

No group of folks are perfect. The church is very liberal, open minded, and intellectual.

So if you like the members , please give it a try.

Really most of us are living isolated lives...

I used to be a casual attendee. I switched to a Buddhist meditation center. The meditation helps me get out of my head....instead of spinning around...

by Anonymousreply 807/31/2013

Get ready to open your checkbook. The Catholics sending the collection plate around twice during mass is nothing compared to the Unitarians bugging you for money.

by Anonymousreply 907/31/2013

The services look like the Best

by Anonymousreply 1007/31/2013

I like it so far. But yes I hear they ask for a financial committment, usually at least $300 a year per member ($25 a month).

by Anonymousreply 1107/31/2013

Minimum $1,000 a year where I lived. And that's just the baseline.

by Anonymousreply 1207/31/2013

I go to a UU church in DC. I love the services, but the gays tend to be snotty (which makes husband hunting a bit more difficult)!

by Anonymousreply 1307/31/2013

god is still imaginary.

by Anonymousreply 1407/31/2013

My brother was married in a Universal church. It was quite nice to go to it and not feel like I was being excluded.

by Anonymousreply 1507/31/2013

I went to UU looking for community, partly because some of my favorite people have been UU.

What I mostly found was the kind of people I avoid at cocktail parties. Not all; there were some I genuinely liked.

by Anonymousreply 1607/31/2013

Are there any religions or emotionally supportive groups filled with positive, helpful people that don't bug you non-stop for money? There are free meeting places everywhere. Even many restaurants will offer you a private room, off-hours, if you buy a snack.

I was invited once to a UU service. Money was mentioned immediately. I didn't go. I was insulted after saying that most Christian groups pass the plate after the service, and only expect a dollar or two or volunteer help. No thanks to up front money grubbers.

by Anonymousreply 1707/31/2013

If you can find an un-programmed Quaker Meeting, you should find a community that will not hound you for money. Strictly speaking, nobody is supposed to know how much anyone gives. Also, Quakers tend to be deceptive. The person that looks as if he/she needs public assistance, is very likely the person that gives $25,000.00 a year to the meeting.

Unfortunately, you also have to sit through a Quaker meeting and attend far too may pot lucks.

by Anonymousreply 1807/31/2013

I thought the posters above were being misleading about the money part, but I looked at my local UU's website, and there it was--a very explicitly stated expectation that the members will give a good chunk of $$$ to the church.

The local do-gooder Presbyterian and Episcopal churches don't do anything of this sort.

by Anonymousreply 1907/31/2013

[quote] Unfortunately, you also have to sit through a Quaker meeting and attend far too may pot lucks.

I love Quaker meetings.

by Anonymousreply 2007/31/2013

R20, good for you. I have been a Quaker for over 30 years, but I have to acknowledge that meetings are not for everyone. Many people go to church for the music. Not going to happen in a Quaker meeting. Many people love the ritual. Not going to happen in a Quaker meeting. Then there is always the worry that someone is going to pop up and give a message about fluffy kittens. I really hate the fluffy kitten messages.

by Anonymousreply 2107/31/2013

Be careful -- Quakers have been infiltrated by government agents. FBI, CIA, etc. They don't like peaceniks.

A Florida group of Quakers was being spied on during the Bush administration. What a coincidence that this Quaker group had recently been joined by Ruth Paine, a "liberal" who also happened to be the daughter of A right wing texan millionaire. She also had ties to Bell Helicopter through her husband Michael in the 1960s (Bell Helicopter wanted a war very much in the early 1960s). Oh -- did I mention Ruth Paine studied Russian and became " friends" with Marina and Lee Harvey Oswald? And was their landlord? Yeah. That Lee Harvey Oswald. The guy who supposedly stored his rifle in Ruth Paine's garage, which was thoroughly searched by the police after the assassination. But on a second search, a big duffle bag with a photo of Lee Harvey Oswald conveniently holding a rifle in one hand and a dated newspaper in the other was found. And Ruth got Lee a job at the Texas Book Depository.

So beware of Quakers. As committed pacifists, they're being watched.

by Anonymousreply 2207/31/2013

Any bitch worth her damn salt starts her own goddamn Church. Any bitch less than that is a hetero male driving a panel-wagon full of laundry to his toothless, drunk Mom's house.

by Anonymousreply 2307/31/2013

Would you like a free stress test?

by Anonymousreply 2407/31/2013

I was thinking about checking out the Unitarian church as well. I'm glad I read this thread. I will not join any church that DEMANDS money as part of the deal to be a member of the congregation.

by Anonymousreply 2507/31/2013

United Church of Christ is progressive, gay-accepting, and manages to have diversity among its congregations (some from the Congregational and Reformed groups that combined to make the "united" church.

The only drawback - and I'm not Christian so my interest and visits are from a detached, observer's viewpoint - is that the ministers seem to be either flaky or manipulatively self-serving. I've known and visited with four gay guys, a lesbian, and various straight people who run the congregations in my area, and unfortunately it feels like they sometimes scam the congregations to pursue their educations, travel, and life styles (the last meaning housing and such).

by Anonymousreply 2607/31/2013

R26, do you live in NJ?

by Anonymousreply 2707/31/2013

It could be the Unitarians need the money ? Their congregations are usually small...I would not let the money begging deter me. They do not do that at my local UU congregation...

What is the deal w/the Quakers and fluffy kittens? What goes on at a Quaker meeting?

by Anonymousreply 2807/31/2013

Why do church services always have to be on Sunday mornings? That's the deal breaker for me.

by Anonymousreply 2907/31/2013

A Quaker meeting house is usually arranged with benches in a square facing each other. In some cases, it may be a "U" shape. Often the meeting will start with someone reading an "Advice" and a "Query" from "Faith and Practice". After that we wait in silence for the word of God. Anyone may speak at a meeting, but one is only supposed to speak if truly moved. Some members of the Ohio/Indiana meetings actually start to shake before they speak. Quite frankly, most of us on the east coast consider this pretentious crap. Meeting run about an hour. In some cases, a meeting will have "after thoughts", which is a time to express responses to what was said in the meeting. As a rule one does not respond in the meeting. There is no music, no pastor, no liturgy, no altar, no flowers. Just silence. A meeting that is vocal during meeting is called a "popcorn meeting" as everyone is constantly popping up and down.

The fluffy kitten reference is probably exactly what you thought is was. It is similar to the Fluffy Kitten posts on facebook, only in a meeting.

by Anonymousreply 3008/01/2013

I know many UU's and have some respect for their openness and caring, but I was raised Baptist and they always strike me as people who just need some kind of meeting, but don't want it to infringe on their personal beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 3108/01/2013

Lots of lesbians.

This means lots of processing.

by Anonymousreply 3208/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!