Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

CBS' Les Moonves says "This is war."

He's pulling CBS off of Time Warner Cable systems.

It's still on here in NY. What about you?

by Anonymousreply 6508/05/2013

Is he speaking about his relationship with Julie Chen?

Otherwise I have no idea what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 107/30/2013

They could take it off my system and I wouldn't notice. I only watch 60 Minutes (occasionally) and the segments are online.

by Anonymousreply 207/30/2013

When is this supposed to happen? I thought it was supposed to happen last Thursday, but I still have it. They're probably waiting for a live eviction Big Brother night to yank it.

by Anonymousreply 307/30/2013

I assume they'll work something out--I'm sure advertisers would pull their money if as large a segment of the viewership as that carried by Time-Warner got eliminated. That said, he may do a symbolic black-out just to make a point--now is easiest time to do it, as it's mainly reruns and Big Brother. If he tries to do it when new series are premiering, he'll only be cutting off his nose to spite his face--most viewers won't bother trying to catch up once a series has started.

by Anonymousreply 407/30/2013

Letterman mentioned it but what is the complaint? I don't know what is going on.

by Anonymousreply 507/30/2013

CBS is seeking a very large increase in the payments made by TWC for carrying CBS's channels. TWC says, no way.

Deadline had been extended to midnight eastern time tonight. But CBS has said, wait. So CBS channels are still on TWC. Waiting for developments...

by Anonymousreply 607/30/2013

Time Warner says CBS is asking for two much money.

CBS say Time Warner won't pay enough money.

by Anonymousreply 707/30/2013

Dave's complaint was that he wasn't mentioned in the ad, while even Judge Judy (which runs on WCBS) was named. He took it as a personal slight by CBS corporate.

by Anonymousreply 807/30/2013

CBS wants Time Warner to pass along the increase in cost to us. I downgraded my service to save some money and the next month my bill increased by five dollars.This is part of the reason why. I don't know what is going on but the picture on my television has improved by about 25% since this fight. Just spectacular. Did TW boost the signal to appease us or to make the free signal using an antenna look like shit when watching CBS?

by Anonymousreply 907/30/2013

Time warner cable better not increase the fucking cost. I pay too much as it is...

by Anonymousreply 1007/30/2013

[quote]Time Warner says CBS is asking for two much money.

Oh dear!

by Anonymousreply 1107/30/2013

CBS is betting people will get mad at Time Warner and TW will give. Ratings are going down for network TV. People are watching a wider range of shows over a larger number of channels. If anything CBS should lower it's rate.

by Anonymousreply 1307/30/2013

Time Warner Cable informed customers today that it is raising the price of leasing a modem from $3.95 to $5.99 per month.

Time Warner only started charging customers for use of the company's modems last November after introducing the $3.95 monthly fee. With the fee now being $5.99, that's $71.88 extra per year compared to the days when Time Warner did not charge for modem usage—for the same "equipment that customers already had in their homes" as Consumerist notes.

The modem fee charges are in addition to the various price increases Time Warner customers have been seeing for Internet service.

The message sent to customers today regarding the modem fee increase was reprinted by several news sites. According to Reuters, the fee is charged to "[s]ubscribers on Time Warner's Cable's most popular Internet plan," and the fee hike does not affect "customers who buy higher-end packages."

by Anonymousreply 1407/30/2013

I hope it gets pulled, but you know Les is just being a dick. He doesn't have the balls to do it.

by Anonymousreply 1507/30/2013

R15, thanks for that info, I think I'm gonna buy my own modem, i got that letter a while back and should have bought my own then but got lazy...now i'm definitely gonna buy my own. Fuck TWC.

CBS produces shite anyways. I don't watch anything on there except the evening news at 11pm.

by Anonymousreply 1607/30/2013

Les Moonves makes 66 million a year ruling CBS. Julie Chen gets paid handsomely for The Talk and Big Brother. CBS is the number one free broadcast network, but if they pull their programming from Time Warner, they won't be for long. Time Warner just has to hold off and keep to the script. CBS will be the big loser. The new fall season is almost upon us and they need to start promos soon.You can watch some CBS programming on the web. Or for free with an HD antenna. It's a chicken shit game of chicken and we wind up losing either way.

by Anonymousreply 1707/30/2013

The only CBS show I watch is "Under The Dome." I honestly wouldn't mind missing it until they get to figuring out what the story is behind the done. So, a few weeks with no CBS wouldn't bother me.

If "As the World Turns" were still on it would bother me, but CBS stupidly canceled ATWT, so I can live without CBS.

by Anonymousreply 1807/30/2013

Moonves wants a 600% increase in fees this year. Guess who's paying for Moonves multi million dollar bonus this year?

by Anonymousreply 2007/30/2013

I dumped my cable service (RCN, but have subscribed to TWC in the past) a few months ago and watch local channels on my little antenna. I also subscribe to Aereo (about $8/month). I can watch most cable shows online, so I don't miss cable at all.

by Anonymousreply 2107/30/2013

I'll miss CBS This Morning. I may have to change providers.

by Anonymousreply 2207/30/2013

What is Aereo? I'm sick of having to pay for Time-Warner, NetFlix, HBO, etc. just to watch the shows everyone is talking about. It's time for ala carte offerings. On most networks (except ABC) I only watch one show.

by Anonymousreply 2307/30/2013

I'd expect CBS to provide a lot more content online as leverage against TWC.

by Anonymousreply 2407/30/2013

Aereo sets up a little satellite antennae for you (on their property) and gives you access to any digital signal that is still broadcast--the old networks--abc, cbs, nbc, fox, pbs and cw. no cable-only programming.

by Anonymousreply 2507/30/2013

A link to the story would be helpful.

by Anonymousreply 2707/30/2013

The whole network / cable medium is outdated and should die anyway. Why should I have to pay outrageous amounts of money to watch them when advertisers are paying outrageous amounts of money to the networks.

by Anonymousreply 2807/30/2013

I disconnected my cable in 2008. Haven't missed it and wouldn't care if all cable TV offerings disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 2907/30/2013

[quote]Why should I have to pay outrageous amounts of money to watch them when advertisers are paying outrageous amounts of money to the networks.

Because the cable and satellite providers and telephone companies are separate businesses from the networks. They are being paid to get the programming to your TV or computer, not to produce the programming. And all those fiber optic cables and satellites cost money

The internet is threatening these middlemen. But they will fight to protect their franchises.

by Anonymousreply 3007/30/2013

Could I ask R26 how much Aereo costs, and do they have a website?

by Anonymousreply 3107/30/2013

I don't know. I imagine so. It's owned by Barry Diller.

by Anonymousreply 3207/30/2013

So the deadline for cut off was Monday at 5 pm, then 8 pm, then 9 pm, then midnight.

It's now Tuesday at 3 pm EDT - are CBS and Showtime still being aired on Time Warner Cable or has Les made good on his threats?

by Anonymousreply 3307/30/2013

What's Time Warner Cable? They don't own Comcast Di they?

by Anonymousreply 3407/30/2013

CBS is the #1 network in the country?

by Anonymousreply 3507/30/2013

Time Warner cable is owned by (wait for it) Time Warner.

by Anonymousreply 3607/30/2013

TW Negotiated an outrageous fee for exclusive Laker rights and half the season was over before Direct, among others, relented. Dish still doesn't show the games.

by Anonymousreply 3707/30/2013

It's past 3 pm here in NYC and unfortunately Dr. Phil is still on, no blank screen.

by Anonymousreply 3807/30/2013

I wish we could all just stop paying until they have to lower prices...the same for internet service.

by Anonymousreply 3907/30/2013

Les doesn't have the balls to make good on his threats. He's full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 4007/30/2013

[quote] What will the 70 year old white folks watch now?

Don't worry. Soon they'll be demented enough to watch Fox Nooz day and night.

by Anonymousreply 4107/30/2013

The deadline is now set for Friday. CBS is still on TIme Warner here but I can't DVR anything from it. Going to have to watch BB15 with commercials. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 4207/31/2013

Hope you're close enough to get over the air broadcast and can just use the rabbit ears. If your signal isn't strong enough, you could watch most of it online. If you just have to watch the golf or whatever, hit up a sports bar.

by Anonymousreply 4307/31/2013

I havent had cable for over a year and dont miss it. I find everything I want online, for free. Cable companies have taken advantage of customers for 20 years, the gravy train is coming to an end.

Cell phone and wireless providers are the new cable companies. Its only going to get worse over the next several years. I wonder what could be accomplished if large numbers of people didnt pay their bill for one month.

by Anonymousreply 4407/31/2013

Well I just checked and I can no longer get CBS on line. I'm dropping Time Warner. I need my Amazing Race and Survivor.

by Anonymousreply 4508/03/2013

[quote]I'm dropping Time Warner.

You're an asshole. TW is trying to keep your bill from exploding when the rest of the networks want the same thing Mr. Chen wants. And if they give in, the networks will go after every cable and sat company. Any increase TW has to pay out comes from you.

by Anonymousreply 4608/03/2013

Showtime, which is owned by CBS, has also gone off in NY.

No 'Dexter" this Sunday.

I hope TW reimburse their customers who subscribe to Showtime. My co-op gets reduced rates, the Board had to guarantee that 70% of the cooperators would become TW subscribers. Many residents alreadt subscribed.

The Board signs a new contract with TW every three years, yet TW still manages to hike up equipment rates during the contract time. Unreal. For the last contract, the Board negotiated that nothing be raised during the three year contract. TW are just as bad as CBS. Aren't their profits high enough?!!

I recently received an email from TW about the modem charge! Our contract includes free modems. I then had to waste time calling TW to ask why these emails were sent to contract customers, the customer service person had no answer

As for Showtime being taken off, the onscreen announcement states subscribers would be getting Starz or Encore as a substitute,

Since I already have Starz in my premium channel line-up, TW basically haven't substituted the lose of CBS and Showtime with any other premium channel for their premium channel subscribers. At least not here in NY they haven't.

by Anonymousreply 4708/03/2013

[quote]I hope TW reimburse their customers who subscribe to Showtime.

I just read this morning that those who subscribe to Showtime will get a credit to their account for any days they are without it.

by Anonymousreply 4808/03/2013

R 47 Fuck You. TW charges me $50 for internet. I can get it for $19 from Frontier. I don't have a TV. All my content is from the internet. I used to watch Survivor and Amazing Race on their site, now I can't get it. It makes much more sense for me to drop TW internet.

Not all of us are cable addicts. I haven't seen an HBO or Showtime show in three years. You stick to your viewing habits and I'll stick to mine.

Oh and Fuck You again.

by Anonymousreply 4908/03/2013

R49, I just realized Showtime is part of my co-op's flat rate bulk contract, which means it's 'free' with the standard and digital lineup bulk rate the co-op gets.

I do pay extra for HBO, Cinemax and Starz, will TW still give subscribers a credit since I already have Starz?

TW have not switched on Encore, or any other premium channel, for subscribers who already have 3 to 5 premium channels.

Getting credit out of these TW assholes is like pulling teeth.

by Anonymousreply 5008/04/2013

It makes my pussy so wet when Les takes from the peasants.

by Anonymousreply 5108/04/2013

I hope he gets fragged.

by Anonymousreply 5208/04/2013

We've had DirecTV for 7 years, and love it. Yes, it messes up during thunderstorms here in the South, but it is a small bother. And last year DTV had a feud with several channels, but it was resolved quickly.

by Anonymousreply 5308/04/2013

Now that Time Warner has taken CBS off their roster. Will it affect any of the programs from CBS?

NCIS: Los Angeles Criminal Minds NCIS Hawaii Five-0

by Anonymousreply 5408/05/2013

We have Comcast. I wish there were options so they had some competition. A soon as I get a new computer I'm thinking of canceling cable, keeping Internet and using the online options. They are assholes to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 5508/05/2013

Well said, r56.

by Anonymousreply 5608/05/2013

I would take the "this is war" nonsense more seriously if Moonves responded by pulling his channels off Time Warner systems everywhere, instead of letting Time Warner call the shots in select markets.

by Anonymousreply 5708/05/2013

The greedy networks continue to want more and more for their content. The cable companies just pass along any increases to the users. ALL the cable and satellite companies do that, TWC is not the only one. Remember, networks like CBS use the public airwaves to transmit their signals and EVERRYONE should get their content FREE, either over the air or cable or satellite, as long as they are using public airwaves.

People will find other stuff to watch if CBS is off the air, especially now before the new season starts. I refuse to pay more for CBS on my cable and if I had the choice between paying more for CBS or dropping it, I would go without and save some $$$.

If Time Warner caves on this one, expect ABC, NBC, Fox, will do the same, and worse. People should be rooting for TWC on this one.

by Anonymousreply 5808/05/2013

for whomever wins this "battle", it will be a pyrrhic victory. they are squabbling over the remains of a diseased carcass, not realizing their own deaths are just around the corner.

by Anonymousreply 5908/05/2013

I thought the dispute was over TW paying CBS for basic cable only content which they previously packaged with their broadcast channel for free. TW already pays other non-broadcast cable only channel providers. CBS is trying to get them to pay them the same way they pay other channel providers. The broadcast channel remains free.

There's a conflict here but I'm sure why subscribers would demonise CBS.

by Anonymousreply 6008/05/2013

Interesting. Time Warner just called their bluff:

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Time Warner Cable CEO Glenn Britt has offered to end a four-day blackout of CBS stations, saying the cable operator would allow CBS to sell its stations' signal "a la carte" to consumers instead of being packaged with other channels. In a letter released to the media, Britt says that rather than debating the point, the method would "allow customers to decide for themselves how much value they ascribe to CBS programming." CBS signals have been blacked out to some 3 million Time Warner Cable subscribers in New York, Los Angeles and Dallas in a dispute over how much the cable operator has to pay for CBS programming. A representative of CBS did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

by Anonymousreply 6108/05/2013

What about the shows on CBS?

by Anonymousreply 6208/05/2013

Well smell R50... isn't SHE superior?

by Anonymousreply 6308/05/2013

I never watch CBS. Except for 60 Minutes and I have the app for that.

by Anonymousreply 6408/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.