Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mariah Carey Out Picking Cotton In The Fields In "Lee Daniels' The Butler" (Photo)

Lee Daniels is one big walking cliche. I swear to god. His films are so embarrassing. They're all minstrel shows.

by Anonymousreply 6207/31/2013

Bullshit, OP. He's not Tyler Perry.

by Anonymousreply 107/29/2013

Is she available for theme weddings?

by Anonymousreply 207/29/2013

Is it just me or does she look strikingly beautiful there?

by Anonymousreply 307/29/2013

Mariah is a good actress. Vadge must be so jealous that 1 of her rivals from 20 years ago is succeeding in the 1 area of entertainment she cannot-movies.

by Anonymousreply 407/29/2013

R5. She did fine work in "Precious"

by Anonymousreply 607/29/2013

R5 she had numerous nominations and awards for her role in "Precious". Mariah also had mostly positive reviews in "Tennessee".

by Anonymousreply 707/29/2013

I've liked all of Lee Daniels' films, even The Paperboy, but they're so depressing I'd never watch them a second time.

by Anonymousreply 807/29/2013

Her work in Precious was good because it was almost a cameo and also because she looked so unlike her usual zoftig self half the audience didnt realize who they were watching. It was a true coup de theatre not a starring role.

by Anonymousreply 907/29/2013

[quote] Mariah is a good actress.

Good grief!

by Anonymousreply 1007/29/2013

Who's the fat Asian broad?

by Anonymousreply 1107/29/2013

[quote]she had numerous nominations and awards for her role in "Precious". Mariah also had mostly positive reviews in "Tennessee".

And she was a colossal pain in the ass, I'm surprised Daniels wanted to work with her again. She was supposed to be a plain looking social worker and Mariah has a "Sexy" obsession where she has to always be on display. Daniels kept catching trying to put make-up on.

by Anonymousreply 1307/29/2013

"Numerous nominations and awards"...Now that's a bit exaggerated. She recited a few lines with no expression, philosophy, or motivation. She was just a name in a film, nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 1407/29/2013

Dead @ Mimi's skin glow. Her loons will have a field day (no pun intended, but it'll do) with this. They see her as the ridiculous camp icon she is, or that's how they spin it.

by Anonymousreply 1507/29/2013

r14 = Too kind.

It did prove one thing. How hideous she is without make-up and how laughable her marriage to the gold-digging, no-talent really is.

by Anonymousreply 1607/29/2013

wow haters in this thread! Mad that Mariah has the most #1 singles on the hot 100? She used to be a great singer. The diva persona that she adopted in the late 90s can be a bit much but I'm still a fan. She can act. Let's see how she does in this film.

by Anonymousreply 1707/29/2013

r17 No she can't.

by Anonymousreply 1807/29/2013

Loved the paperboy!

Would see this movie but wish Oprah was not in it....

by Anonymousreply 1907/30/2013

She looks plump but pretty.

by Anonymousreply 2007/30/2013

How Daniels got a best director nod is one of the great mysteries of our time. Spike Lee he ain't.

Precious was only great cause of the performances, his direction was horrible. I'm not even one who would notice tech aspects but it was all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 2107/30/2013

I cannot stand Mariah but I respect her very much for her work in Precious. She was good, she looked bad, she didn't make any money and she really didn't have anything to gain from being in it.

by Anonymousreply 2207/30/2013

Mariah Carey was excellent in "Precious" and she deserves credit for appearing in a movie with such gritty realism.

I saw a trailer for "The Butler" last week when my partner and I went to see "The Conjuring" and I thought it looked interesting and historical.

Does anyone remember a miniseries from the late 70's/early 80's called "Backstairs At The White house?" It starred Lesley Uggams. I watched it with my Mom. We both loved it. This movie reminds me of that. I might see it. Plus, Oprah is in it-so it much be of the highest quality.

by Anonymousreply 2307/30/2013

r23 Oprah is no fucking Leslie Uggams.

by Anonymousreply 2407/30/2013

Get ready bitches, Mariah's performance in "The Butler" is going to SLAY movie goers. In case bitches didn't know, here are the awards and nominations Mimi received for her EXCELLENT performance in "Precious:

Palm Springs International Film Festival Breakthrough Performance Award Capri Hollywood International Film Festival Award for Supporting Actress of the Year Black Reel Award for Best Ensemble Boston Society of Film Critics Award for Best Ensemble Cast Nominated – Black Reel Award for Best Supporting Actress Nominated – NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture Nominated – Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Cast in a Motion Picture Nominated – Critics' Choice Awards for Best Acting Ensemble

by Anonymousreply 2507/30/2013

r25 Pathetic. Those are almost all lists for ensemble casts and you try to pass that off as accolades for an individual acting achievement.

She sucks. Calling her an actress is a joke. Stunt casting of the highest order.

Why do you even give a shit? She sure doesn't give a shit about you. A plate of ribs, yes, but you, fuck no.

by Anonymousreply 2607/30/2013

I thought she won the Independent Spirit award also.

by Anonymousreply 2707/30/2013

"Good actress" and "Mariah Carey" cannot be used in the same sentence.

by Anonymousreply 2807/30/2013

"Can we TAWK about the acts of physical and sexual abuse?"

"I don't like you looking at me like that Mrs Vice! Whoooo- whooooo was gon love me? Hmm? Since you got your degree and you know every fuckin thing!"

by Anonymousreply 2907/30/2013

I see Vadgestan and the Janbot have competition.

by Anonymousreply 3007/30/2013

Mariah has proven herself to be a much better actress than either Madonna or Janet.

With the exception of Glitter, she has received positive reviews for all of her films; Wise Girls, Tennessee and Precious. Give the girl credit, she takes chances.

Janet was a great child and young adult actress, but she hasn't taken a daring role since Poetic Justice. I'm not impressed with the cushy Tyler Perry roles and Klump mess. No range.

Madonna rivals Elvis in terms of having the single worst cinematic oeuvre of anyone. Nothing else need be said on that.

by Anonymousreply 3107/30/2013

[quote](posted by Janbot) Why do you even give a shit? She sure doesn't give a shit about you. A plate of ribs, yes, but you, fuck no.

I see what you did there.

by Anonymousreply 3207/30/2013

She was fine for what she had to do in Precious, which is deliver a few lines while sitting behind a desk and take credit for not wearing make up. Let's not get carried away with the superlatives.

by Anonymousreply 3307/30/2013

give her a chance. I hope she gets other more prominent roles. She seems to be an ok actress.

by Anonymousreply 3407/30/2013

I thought she was awesome in "Precious." She deserves credit for leaving glamour behind and taking part in such a risky exposé of life in the inner city. If the sort of people whose story was being portrayed had taken offense that could have cost her fans. I think she showed a lot of integrity.

It was a true story after all. And one that is all too common. Even the sizes of the characters was gritty and daringly real!

by Anonymousreply 3507/30/2013

r35 = President of Marys for Mariah

by Anonymousreply 3607/30/2013

I think the key thing for these pop stars is that they shouldn't try to carry the films. Mariah got good notices playing a very supporting character in Precious. Madonna's turn in League of their Own (again supporting) was well regarded. It's when they try to become the star of the film that they falter.

If I was a pop star trying to cross over I'd solely do supporting parts. And Oprah is in this film.

by Anonymousreply 3707/30/2013

The Jews control hollywood and black cinema. This is why we only get minstrel films made by the likes of Lee Daniels and Tyler Perry. Why do you think films like "Precious" and Tyler Perry films always get green lighted? Because these are propaganda films to depict blacks in the worst way. Jews believe they are the chosen people and the biggest threat to them are blacks who they know are the true original Jews. Look at Andy Cohen and all buffoonery he produces that depicts black women as loud stupis gold diggers. There has always been a Jewish agenda to destroy the black race.

by Anonymousreply 3807/30/2013

[quote] There has always been a Jewish agenda to destroy the black race.

Really? Then wasn't it sorta silly of the Jews to finance huge parts of the civil rights movement?

by Anonymousreply 3907/30/2013

I saw this movie the first time when it was called Backstairs at the White House.

by Anonymousreply 4007/30/2013

R33 is right. It's like when everyone declared Jennifer Aniston a serious actress after THE GOOD GIRL because she didn't smile and wore her hair in a ponytail.

by Anonymousreply 4107/30/2013

I thought "The Butler" reminded me of "Backstairs At The White House," too R40. I loved that miniseries, so I actually think I might see "The Butler." When I first heard about it I mistook it for "Fruitvale Station." That's a movie I don't think I would enjoy. But, "The Butler" looks historical and uplifting.

by Anonymousreply 4207/30/2013

It was not a "true story," Miss Mary at R35. It's a film based on a work of fiction.

With that said, I thought Mariah Carey was unusually effective in the role.

by Anonymousreply 4307/30/2013

No R43 "Precious" is a true story about a poet named Sapphire. It was a book called "Push" Unfortunately many parts of it, especially the having babies for welfare and the obesity are "business as usual" in the inner cities. I was a social worker-I found it to be common. No one in those areas even considers working, they consider welfare and food stamps their job. They also think obesity is okay-looking.

A good example is Rachel Jeantel, morbidly obese, borderline retarted, illiterate, but praised by people for her poise and intelligence. This is sad but true. I know from being a social worker.

by Anonymousreply 4407/30/2013

She's light-skinned so why would she be out in the fields picking cotton. I thought the light ones stayed in the house. She does look nice on the pic though but it must bother black actresses that can't get work to see these singers coming in and getting all the roles.

by Anonymousreply 4507/30/2013

Mimi was very amdram in some of her line readings, but overall wasn't distracting. Although lol @ how they shoehorned in a bit about her mixed background.

by Anonymousreply 4607/30/2013

Then why exactly is it billed as a novel, R44? Just because it depicts social workers dealing with real issues, that doesn't make it a true story. You're really stretching the definition there.

by Anonymousreply 4707/30/2013

R46. Please help me with "amdram." This is new to me. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 4807/30/2013

Amateur dramatics - often shortened to amdram.

by Anonymousreply 4907/30/2013

The anti-semitism on this thread is disturbing. Jewish people did a lot during the civil rights movement. So did gay people, for that matter. Not much gratitude from the people we helped gain equality in society. Complain, whine, blame others, complain, blame others, get pregnant, cry racism, become a great, great grandmother at age 50, flush Detroit down the toilet, blame others, complain...these people are getting tedious.

by Anonymousreply 5007/30/2013

r50 It was one post someone made that was a digression that was quickly ignored.

What an attention-starved Mary you are.

by Anonymousreply 5107/30/2013

She definitely is learning something from the production. Before becoming involved she believed that cotton was grown in fabric form.

by Anonymousreply 5207/30/2013

" I wish Cotton was a monkey."

by Anonymousreply 5307/30/2013

Is it really called "Lee Daniels' The Butler" ....sell get her if so.

by Anonymousreply 5407/30/2013

I read someplace else that Mimi is in the very first scenes of this movie, playing the mother of the butler, however is immediately raped and so traumatized that she doesn't speak again. Ever.

Let's hope she can carry the role with just her expressions.

by Anonymousreply 5507/30/2013

Whatever happened to that woman who played Precious? She was dangerously overweight at that year's Oscars. She required a special bench instead of a regular chair. I can't believe there are man parts calling for a woman of her size.

by Anonymousreply 5607/31/2013

R56 Gabourey Sidibe has a couple more movies coming out and is in the show The Big C. Her career is just fine.

by Anonymousreply 5707/31/2013

Yes, R54. The name had to changed from "The Butler" because of a dispute with the studio over an early-1900s silent film with the same name.

by Anonymousreply 5907/31/2013

[quote]and is in the show The Big C. Her career is just fine.

The Bic C was cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 6007/31/2013

[quote] borderline retarted

Oh dear, and how ironic

by Anonymousreply 6107/31/2013

This just in! If you like barns, and chandeliers, and Mariah Carey... You'll LOVE Mariah Carey's new video, Beautiful !

by Anonymousreply 6207/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.