Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Trader Joes - What do people, cities, states, do without them ?

Like most here in L.A. , I buy most basics at a grocery store, but all fruits, vegetables, etc. at TJ's. I really wouldn't / couldn't live in a place without one nearby.

by LA foodiereply 3508/01/2013

We have them now in NYC. I've lived here for over thirty years, and I don't recall any real hardship before Trader Joe's arrived.

by LA foodiereply 507/29/2013

What 's so great about them compared to Whole Foods?

by LA foodiereply 607/29/2013

We don't have any in Hawaii. It's Costco and the farm markets. Somehow, we manage.

by LA foodiereply 707/29/2013

r6 It's not run by a psychotic libertarian, for one.

by LA foodiereply 807/29/2013

I had Trader Joes, I hate LA and I hate the word "foodie." Guess what? If you're not anorexic and you eat solids, you're a foodie.

I don't smoke — should I start calling myself a "breathie?"

by LA foodiereply 907/29/2013

The bananas for 19 cents apiece are the only produce I buy there. Everything else (except melons) is pre-packaged -- so you can't choose which pieces of produce you want or how many, you have to buy the whole package, which may contain more items than you need & some of them may not look as good as the others in the package or be the wrong size, etc. The quality is usually OK (not spectacular) but the method is inconvenient.

I'm in California with lots of good farmers' markets all year & those are much better places to find seasonal produce that's excellent quality.

by LA foodiereply 1007/29/2013

Oh you sound like a real party ! Anything else you hate ?

by LA foodiereply 1107/29/2013

r9 = constipated

by LA foodiereply 1207/29/2013

I'm with R10, completely. In fact, I had all of that in mind when I read the original post. Trader Joe's is great for a lot of things, but it is one of the last places I'll go for produce. Horrible selection, and you're forced to buy in bulk, essentially, on a lot of the items -- styrofoam and plastic comes with those, too.

Whole Foods is stupid expensive, but they do have sales on certain items that they rotate.

Any smaller grocery or farmer's market is better than TJ's or Whole Foods for produce.

by LA foodiereply 1307/29/2013

This thread will quickly devolve into everyone rambling off their grocery lists, as every other TJ thread in the history of DL has.

by LA foodiereply 1407/29/2013

Since you asked, r11: Florida, people who get their bearings at the top of the subway stairs, prime time, fruit salad with too much melon, people who use gender politics as an excuse to lecture everyone all the fucking time, professional movers, Optimum cable, Arizona, desserts, humidity, the idea that the US is number one all the time, the idea that the US is wrong all the time, teenage drivers, most straight teenage boys, my cheapskate fucking landlord, just about every heterosexual in the state of New Jersey, Brooklyn bitches who try to make straight married life with kids into a cool and exclusive club (fuck you, ladies! the office is not your sorority!), strong odors on the subway, Florida, people who form a line 35 minutes before boarding a plane, animal abuse, rape on college campuses, pretty much everything that happens in FiDi between 9-5 (especially the Ground Zero tourists from red states) this idiotic fucking idea that going without A/C in the summer is noble or pure, dirty fingernails, bad breath, Florida, people who make a big show about being grossed out by a homeless person who smells on the subway, mid-section weight gain, Monsanto, the repeal of Glass-Steagall, Citizens United v. the FEC, electronic voting machines, the military-industrial complex, the sadness of this little street cat around the corner from my apartment, rising tuition costs apropos of nothing, shin splints in the middle of a good workout, and the fact that I have to wait 12 months for a new fucking season of Orange is the New fucking Black. And fucking Florida.

by LA foodiereply 1507/30/2013

OK, R14 -- I'll start.

I've posted before that their pumpkin butter & gingerbread mix are the best versions of those things I've ever found. I would miss them greatly if they were to disappear (as things often tend to do at Trader Joe's).

by LA foodiereply 1607/30/2013

There are rumors that Lidl (from Germany) is about to make its way to the US. I've never been in one, but it seems like it is similar to (TJ relative) Aldi. I really like the Fresh & Easy stores, but they're on borrowed time since Tesco is throwing in the towel.

by LA foodiereply 1707/30/2013

Yeah, Lidl and Aldi are pretty much clones.

by LA foodiereply 1807/30/2013

My community got the first in our state 2 years ago. Itt's comparable to our local grocery chain to be honest. I do enjoy one of their $5 wines, though and get beer and wine every so often. I have noticed a drop in quality on the few things I did drive over for - hummus, cottage cheese,and wheat bread.

by LA foodiereply 1907/30/2013

R15, why do you hate desserts? I understand why you hate all those other things, but many desserts are quite good. You really should try Trader Joe's gingerbread mix (with or without whipped cream & a maraschino cherry on top) -- I'm pretty sure it would change your mind.

by LA foodiereply 2007/30/2013

Trader Joe's is very good at the few things it's good at, but lousy at everything else. Calling yourself a foodie while singing the praises of Trader Joe's is like calling yourself a design fanatic while wondering how anyone could ever live without IKEA. Middlebrow. The middle of middlebrow.

by LA foodiereply 2107/30/2013

I loved the Lemon Tart i bought last week....perfect combo of sweet and tart.

They're great for wine, but the food selection leaves me a bit cold. A lot of pre-packaged frozen food that everyone goes bonkers over, just because it has their label on it.

Not a lot of selection either.

by LA foodiereply 2407/30/2013

R9, Let me guess, you are from the east coast moved out here to CA to make your fortune but spend every living day talking about how much you hate it here and how much better it is where you are from.

Please move back to the infected fistula on the asshole of where you came from. We have enough parasites here.

by LA foodiereply 2507/30/2013

[quote]Calling yourself a foodie while singing the praises of Trader Joe's is like calling yourself a design fanatic while wondering how anyone could ever live without IKEA. Middlebrow. The middle of middlebrow.

That + 1.

I don't get the hyper obsession of Trader Joe's. Is'nt it the place where "two buck chuck" started? Oh, wait, I mean Charles Shaw wine.

by LA foodiereply 2607/30/2013

R21, r26, where do you get the food?

by LA foodiereply 2707/30/2013

Hey well I would love to have the "middlebrow of middlebrow" available to me. All I have is Walmart. Count your lucky stars.

by LA foodiereply 2807/30/2013

As I said, R9 is a party. Debbie Downer is the hostess. And John McCain the DJ. What a blast

by LA foodiereply 2907/30/2013

I'm a fan of Trader Joe's. Have to schlep a few miles to get to one, but there's a rumor one will open in my neighborhood, well within walking distance.Funny thing though, I asked at the store if the rumor was true, and they clammed up, like it I was asking for the location of the Holy Grail. An email to corporate went unanswered. Wouldn't you think if they WERE gonna' open up another TJ, they'd want to get people excited about the prospect? I see all sorts of loose/bulk produce, if you just wanna' buy one pear or tomato, you can do it easily. My partner loves their mini Brie's, which so far are not procurable elsewhere. I think prices are comparable, the store is always crowded, and the parking lot is a nightmare. I'm always amazed at what I find there, things yu never see anywhere else. It's a foodie's wetdream.

by LA foodiereply 3007/30/2013

Canadians travel 50 miles from Vancouver BC to Bellingham WA in order to shop at Trader Joe's.

by LA foodiereply 3107/30/2013

I stand corrected about the bulk produce. I was there yesterday & went down the produce aisle because someone here said that loose produce was now available. Sure enough -- in addition to the regular loose bananas, there were loose russet potatoes, sweet potatoes (yams), apples, plums, lemons, & maybe a couple of other things I've forgotten. The quality looked fine (not outstanding), but nothing was labelled "organic" to justify the too high prices (not gouging like Whole Foods, but still unreasonable).

Since I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by excellent farmers' markets & many different ethnic supermarkets, I'd much rather shop at those places for produce.

by LA foodiereply 3208/01/2013

No TJ in So Florida yet. I get to Atlsnta often, so I go to the store in Midtown and mail a care box back to Miami. Rumor has it that we get our first store in 2014.

by LA foodiereply 3308/01/2013

TJ is owned by Aldi Nord and if one goes to Aldi's you will notice certain similarities between Aldi and TJ's and that is not a compliment though TJ has a more upscale feel/product mix.

by LA foodiereply 3408/01/2013

"Fruit salad with too much melon" - fuck yes!

by LA foodiereply 3508/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!