Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bernice King, homophobic daughter of MLK and Coretta Scott King speaks out.

Yet another religious nut. This time the daughter of renowned civil rights activists.

"I have gay and lesbian friends but Jesus says only men and women can get married."

Yet another stupid religious cunt.

by Anonymousreply 5308/01/2013

Has she pointed out where exactly says this?

And she realizes that if she wasn't shot out of the right pussy no one would be listening to her?

by Anonymousreply 207/29/2013

Why would blacks embrace the religion of the white man?

by Anonymousreply 307/29/2013

[quote]Jesus says only men and women can get married.

There is no scripture, account or record of Jesus saying anything about marriage or sexuality. He never mentioned homosexuality and never said "only men and women can get married" or anything remotely like that. All of the verses in the Bible which condemn homosexuality are either from the Hebrew Bible or the later books of the New Testament, which were written years after Jesus's death by other writers.

She is a lying bigot and a moron. What a shame for her parents. Coretta Scott King supported gay rights and no doubt MLK would have if he had lived longer.

by Anonymousreply 507/31/2013

[quote]There is no scripture, account or record of Jesus saying anything about marriage

That is not true. Jesus said don't divorce.

To which His followers responded, "Fuck you!"

by Anonymousreply 607/31/2013

in the black community if you wear flip flops and are a man that's consider "fem" or "gay" like behavior.. so sad

by Anonymousreply 1007/31/2013

Also in black culture being different is often mocked and belittled. So natyrally being gay would cause that. That along with trying to act "white" talk "white" listening to "white" music. Trust me I was picked on alot because of the above alleged things.

by Anonymousreply 1207/31/2013

NEWSFLASH: The overwhelming majority of homophobes in America are WHITE.

by Anonymousreply 1307/31/2013

Don't say's so gay.

by Anonymousreply 1407/31/2013

[quote]NEWSFLASH: The overwhelming majority of homophobes in America are WHITE.

While that is probably true, African Americans do seem to be disproportionately homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 1507/31/2013

That's because most Americans are white R13. Its about proportionality.

by Anonymousreply 1607/31/2013

You what else is bothersome? Gay blacks defending homophobic blacks.

by Anonymousreply 1807/31/2013

[quote]I guess when a white person says something homophobic the entire white race will be called homophobes?

You've obviously never read a thread of us bashing white Republicans, and not all of them are homophobes.

Blacks are the Democrats who for whatever reason are against gays to an alarming degree.

by Anonymousreply 2207/31/2013

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I wish Jesus would return for his second coming and straighten out his message of love and redemption with his followers. It seems many of them have gotten it so wrong over the centuries. I have a very hard time believing that Jesus would care if 2 people of the same sex wanted to join together in love.

by Anonymousreply 2307/31/2013

Um, Bernice dear, Jesus is a myth, a charming my perhaps, but a myth, like Santa Cluase and the Easter Bunny.

by Anonymousreply 2407/31/2013

R1, I've often wondered the same thing. Indoctrination is a powerful thing.

by Anonymousreply 2507/31/2013

Gurls,gurls, why, why do we have to do this? Black churches have been "teaching" anti-gay propaganda since gay rights started being talked about openly. THIS IS A FACT!

I think that black women of a certain age ( mothers & grandmothers) then "teach" it in the home. I also think it is a class issue. Poor blacks, poor black churches, poor black neighborhoods.

Also poor whites, poor white churches, and poor white neighborhoods. As well as all conservative white churches regardless of economic background.

But, what's really at the heart of this conversation is the irony of blacks being against gays getting our civil rights! It's been mentioned that we expect NOTHING from the people who've always tried to keep us down. That most African Americans do not know that the white people who first stood in unity with them were HOMOSEXUALS!!!

Many gay men do not know this part of our history. Harry Hay, (a hero!) and the Mattachine Society realistically believed no one was going to take homosexuals seriously in the 1950's. What he did believe was the rights of "negroes/coloreds" might be achievable. He/they essentially thought that by hitching our star to the honorable cause of the civil rights movement, that we might get the foot of the gay rights movement in the door.

Of course this is NEVER mentioned. Most people, white AND black believe that Hollywood ( Joanne Woodward, Shelly Winters,and Marlon Brando et al) were the first whites to protest & march. It didn't hurt that H'wood had everything it needed to record it all.

As a liberal AND a gay man I have wrestled with my conflicting emotions, about this issue. A sense of irony is second only to a sense of humor. It keeps me healthy emotionally ( that and Paxil & Wellbutrin HA!),rather than a man consumed with rage.

by Anonymousreply 2607/31/2013

[quote]Um, Bernice dear, Jesus is a myth, a charming my perhaps, but a myth, like Santa Cluase and the Easter Bunny.

Say what you will, but I have my own beliefs and until the contrary is proven, the easter bunny is VERY REAL!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2707/31/2013

R26 here, the one thing I wanted to mention in my post is how important it is for the world to see what's happening to gays in Russia right now.

by Anonymousreply 2807/31/2013

Honey--Your boy Jesus WAS gay-married. The text below (John 19) refers to John, youngest of the disciples, who lay upon Jesus's breast at the last supper.

[quote]25 Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. 26 [bold]When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to her, “Woman,[a] here is your son,” 27 and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.”[/bold] From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.

by Anonymousreply 2907/31/2013

Are racist tirades really the best way to fight homophobia? How exactly is your prejudice any different than King's? The answer is that it's not any different than King's. You're doing the same thing that King is doing. You both seek to demonize and marginalize a whole community of people that you deem inferior. You're both prancing around doing SNL's Church Lady superior dance thinking that your shit doesn't stink. News Flash: Shit from any asshole stinks. You racist queens and the homophobic King deserve each other. You certainly have a shitload in common.

by Anonymousreply 3107/31/2013

OP, can you intelligently express your disagreement with someone without using vulgar, misogynistic, immature insults and language? You don't sound like a very nice person.

by Anonymousreply 3307/31/2013

This article says there's been a positive shift in support for gay marriage in the black community.

by Anonymousreply 3407/31/2013

R32 Its wonderful that you are able to comprehend how homophobic prejudice marginalizes the gay community and hurts gays. How unfortunate that you can't comprehend how racial prejudice does the same thing to minorities.

by Anonymousreply 3507/31/2013

If you hit trolldar, you'll see that the most virulent posts on this thread are from the same person. So it's not the MAJORITY of gay people who are racists, just a really vocal percentage who post over and over.

by Anonymousreply 3607/31/2013

Where exactly did Jesus say that?

by Anonymousreply 3707/31/2013

Bernice King is in the closet herself. She's self-loathing and miserable. The thing is, her sister (who passed) most likely had a thing with Attallah Shabazz (Malcolm X's daughter). If true, they were truly a beautiful couple.

by Anonymousreply 3807/31/2013

R38 - Bernice King never said this. If you think she did - provide a link.

You want to have a discussion on homophobia and organized religion - fine. But don't start and end with predominantly African-American churches.

by Anonymousreply 3907/31/2013

[quote]A sense of irony is second only to a sense of humor. It keeps me healthy emotionally ( that and Paxil & Wellbutrin HA!)

Jesus, R26, up your doseage. What a rambling mess.

by Anonymousreply 4007/31/2013

R39 ? I just Googled "Bernice King anti-gay" there are dozens of pages of hits. Why would you say that black churches have not been teaching this for decades? Obviously anti-gay whites outnumber anti-gay blacks.

It's that whites never had to fight for their civil rights. Why wouldn't African Americans instinctively identify/empathize with ANY other group who were being denied the same rights?

by Anonymousreply 4208/01/2013

Wasn't Coretta Scott King for gay rights?

by Anonymousreply 4308/01/2013

R26 R42 - I'm not saying Bernice King hasn't taken anti-gay positions. As a matter of fact I know she has.

But show me where she said:

[quote] "I have gay and lesbian friends but Jesus says only men and women can get married."

as OP quoted her.

Organized religion, of all colors, has been bad for LGBTs. But I don't think as far as overall harm is concerned you can put African-American churches at or near the top of the list.

by Anonymousreply 4408/01/2013

R44 ,you keep avoiding my point. I do not expect anything from the anti-gay right (white) wing. But please explain how a group (African Americans) who had to fight so long & hard for civil/equal rights , could not only turn it's back on gays fighting for civil/ equal rights, but actively try to undermine & work against it?

Stop trying to create a false equivalency.

Also, it's the OP's thread, but you're splitting hairs about whether BK, said what OP claims is disingenuous. You made it sound as if she'd never said anything homophobic. I don't know how to link, but when I Googled Bernice King anti-gay there were many links to a bill she created to keep marriage equality illegal. Among dozens to her "everyday" homophobic hate speech.

by Anonymousreply 4508/01/2013

Dear Bernice,

Maybe only white men and women can get married.

P.S. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 4608/01/2013

R26 etal - I'm not avoiding your point. Their homophobes, they think homosexuality is a sin. They don't realize the majority culture is using the age old tactic of divide and conquer to maintain their position.

On the other hand - they may feel the LGBT movement has considered itself to be predominantly white and has expressed no interest or support of the African-American civil rights movement.

But if you googled Bernice King you also know she has just recently softened her opposition to LGBT civil rights.

I'm not splitting hairs - OP started this thread not with a fictitious quote. Someone attacks an African-American with a fictitious quote. Many, myself included, would call that race baiting.

If you have a legitimate beef with someone - why make stuff up? Maybe to race bait? Apparently you have bought it hook line and sinker.

by Anonymousreply 4708/01/2013

I'm sure she and Sherri Shephard are good friends. I'll never forget the footage of those busloads of blacks on their knees in front of the capital building in Albany, praying to The Lord God A-mighty that the same sex marriage bill would not pass. All I could think was... Dafuq???!!! .. And in the 60's, as a young white student, I joined the black marches for civil rights. I guess what goes around doesn't always come sround.

by Anonymousreply 4808/01/2013

N***er, please!

The bible was used to justify the enslavement of her race.

by Anonymousreply 4908/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!