Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Oprah getting Oscar buzz for THE BUTLER

The buzz has been growing since the spring when the first preview was given. People who have seen it say Winfrey has given a phenomenal performance and could easily walk away with this years Best Supporting Actress Oscar. She could be the one to beat this year, she's that strong of a contender.

Mike Nichols allegedly walked out in tears.

And Oprah is going all out. Appearing on Andy Cohen and Letterman for starters. Expect a fierce campaign.

Another one who is walking away with great reviews is Jane Fonda.

by Anonymousreply 2307/31/2013

It should be about the performance not the POLITICS.

by Anonymousreply 107/29/2013

She'd better be happy with her previous nomination. It's all she's ever getting.

by Anonymousreply 207/29/2013

Oprah always plays a version of herself. That's not acting.

by Anonymousreply 307/29/2013

I haven't seen it yet, but I doubt the buzz is deserved. She's never been much of an actress. If she gets nominated it will just be because she's Oprah, and she probably won't win unless it's a very weak year in that category.

by Anonymousreply 407/29/2013

I think they might be hiding this movie from the critics, so, if there's buzz, it's likely not worth much consideration.

by Anonymousreply 507/29/2013

Puh-lease, Lady O! Once my remake mini-series of Rosemary's Baby is broadcast, I'll have my Emmy. That's halfway to EGOT...

Hey, do you want to get some old lady make-up on and play a cameo? We need someone who can do old witch...

by Anonymousreply 607/29/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 707/29/2013

AnnE, you already have an Emmy. Sure it's only for voice over work, but your time would be better spent recording audiobooks.

by Anonymousreply 807/29/2013

I thought The Butler was going to be a TV miniseries? When did it turn into a theatrical film?

by Anonymousreply 907/29/2013

That's bullshit r4! Oprah's debut in The Color Purple is widely considered one of the best debuts in film history. Oprah's a great actress! The Oprah hate is oh so tired.

by Anonymousreply 1007/29/2013

[quote]When did it turn into a theatrical film?

When I decided I wanted an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1107/29/2013

[quote]Oprah's debut in The Color Purple is widely considered one of the best debuts in film history.

But, what about me?

by Anonymousreply 1207/29/2013

I saw it in a sneak preview. The Oscar's hers.

by Anonymousreply 1307/29/2013

I hope there's at least one scene where Jane Fonda, playing Nancy Reagan, slaps the shit out of Oprah's character.

by Anonymousreply 1407/29/2013

r13 = Lynne Thighmaster

by Anonymousreply 1507/29/2013

Is this the movie where Oprah's character makes a special chocolate pie for Nancy Reagan?

by Anonymousreply 1607/29/2013

Link.

by Anonymousreply 1707/29/2013

Exactly r17.. that's what I wanted to see. I expected it was taken from Goldderby or something, but right click and plug into Google reveals it's a fake - DL is the first and only result.

by Anonymousreply 1807/29/2013

She's listed in the IndieWire predictions, but she's not even in the top 10 at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 1907/29/2013

Experience of her persona, actions and displays over the last 38 years AND her performance in THE COLOR PURPLE do not suggest that Miss Winfrey is capable of a good performance. Not unless she plays a paralyzed coma victim under an oxygen mask and full bandages.

Because every other possibility suggests that something of that toxic, egotistical, solipsist personality will leak out like mustard gas and kill the audience. She cannot help but project her insane entitlement and self-regard, and clumsily at that.

by Anonymousreply 2007/31/2013

Not even festival season & Academy Awards are already handed out. Gotta love this industry.

by Anonymousreply 2107/31/2013

There are Oprah fanboys here? Blergh.

by Anonymousreply 2207/31/2013

Oprah is going to win the Oscar, r22. So, just deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 2307/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.