Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Don Lemon doubles down: ‘I’m gonna get the Uncle Tom award’

CNN anchor Don Lemon backed up his criticisms of the African-American community on Sunday, telling guest LZ Granderson he was reclaiming the label of “Uncle Tom,” classically used to describe a Black man who is subservient to whites.

“I’m taking that word back,” Lemon said to Granderson. “I’m being called an ‘Uncle Tom’ so much, I’m taking that word back. I’m gonna get the ‘Uncle Tom’ award.”

Lemon made the remarks in an allusion to the online criticism he drew for his Saturday commentary saying Fox News anchor Bill O’Reilly “doesn’t go far enough” in chiding African-Americans, before suggesting that young Black males should stop wearing sagging pants.

“What is wrong with telling people to dress appropriately?” Lemon asked Granderson and conservative commentator Ana Navarro on Sunday. “These are things that I said [Saturday] that my mom taught me in kindergarten, that parents tell their kids in kindergarten. Dress nicely, speak well, speak appropriately.”

Lemon’s commentary was derided across social media, with the mocking #DonLemonLogic gaining traction. Lemon also addressed the controversy on Twitter, writing that it was not about racism, but “about bettering oneself in spite of. ie, abused woman at some point has to leave abuser.”

Lemon also re-posted an encouraging message from Fox News host Geraldo Rivera, who was himself derided in March 2012 for blaming the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin on his choice to wear a hooded sweatshirt the night he was pursued, shot and killed by former neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman. Zimmerman was acquitted of second-degree murder charges on July 13, 2013.

“I was amazed when I retweeted it that I got so much Twitter hate,” Navarro told Lemon about the furor surrounding his remarks on Saturday. “There’s people who call you in to schools, Don, and call you in to go speak to youth, and to groups, and tell them how you succeed. We are here on this panel — three minorities, two African-Americans, one Latino — who have succeeded. There’s advice to be given. Success is not going to be reached by not speaking English correctly, though I do have an accent and I do butcher it now and then.”

Lemon also cited his own past coverage of the Zimmerman trial, as well as a stand-alone special program he hosted concerning the use of the “N-word” in American culture, and alluding to his July 20 argument with conservative Ben Ferguson regarding white privilege.

“Did I not have those conversations on the air about privilege and about racism and about profiling and about having been profiled?” Lemon asked his guests.

“You absolutely did,” Navarro affirmed, before misidentifying who the defendant was in that trial. “I think the Trayvon Martin trial is an opportunity for us to have the deep discussions we need to have. Let’s not talk about each other, let’s talk to each other and also within our own groups.”

Granderson told Lemon that, while has taught his son that the use of terms like the “N-word” had to be viewed through different contexts, he did not pretend that there were not ramifications to using it in a social setting.

“You’re not gonna get hired for a high-power position job, you likely are not gonna be accepted at some prestigious university,” Granderson said. “I severely doubt you’d be able to get a decent date with anyone worth loving if you spend your entire time dropping the ‘N-word’ and you can’t keep your hands up.”

Watch the discussion, posted on YouTube by user “Den Havoc” on Sunday, below.

by Anonymousreply 25301/11/2014

Don was on The View this morning and they discussed this. He wasn't a guest, he was sitting in the audience, but they spent about 5 minutes on him and his comments.

Guest host Ana Navarro initially introduced Isaiah Thomas and his wife and then introduced Don with another guy as though they are also a couple. Sounded like she said the other guy's name is David Fuenton, but since it’s a name I’m not familiar with it was hard to tell if that’s what she really said. Also the camera didn’t really seem too interested in including the guy sitting next to Don in the shot – not like Isaiah Thomas’ wife.

Does Don have a white (or Caucasian-looking) boyfriend? I couldn’t find anything online about him dating.

The attached clip does not have Ana introducing Don and the other dude. It cuts out the Isaiah Thomas stuff and picks up with discussing Don’s controversial comments.

by Anonymousreply 107/30/2013

I thought his comments were 100% spot-on..

by Anonymousreply 407/30/2013

Black people have been brain washed in this country to hate themselves. Black gay men in particular seem to really be affected. I don't know of any famous gay black celebrities who actually date other black men.

You always see famous black gay men with a white partner(not that there is anything wrong with that)who's not famous but you never see famous white celebrities with black partners.

It's clearly self loathing at work.

by Anonymousreply 507/30/2013

Don went after the gay community when he came out, stating that it was theist homophobic community in the country, and that's part of the reason is stayed in the closet for all those years.

by Anonymousreply 607/30/2013

Don Lemon, please go back in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 707/30/2013

I hate that the dominant image of black people is the thug, and that that cannot be questioned out of fears of "self-loathing" or "racism."

It brings down people and denies/silences the many types of different, intelligent, vibrant people. And as thugs are celebrated, it creates more thugs. That is the thing to be.

Frankly, it all benefits the 1% to have illiterate thugs celebrated. They are destructive to others, and their community. And they are self-destructive. They pose no threat whatsoever to the 1%.

by Anonymousreply 807/30/2013

I am taking back "Elders of Zion".

Paunchy old guys sitting in the schvitz who secretly manipulate the world economy.

They're all in on it, especially that Morrie guy.

by Anonymousreply 907/30/2013

Ana Navarro makes my skin crawl. I cannot stand when Bill Maher has this airhead on his show. I noticed when most Cosnervatives are asked a basic question, they always give a convoluted answer which usually doesn't answer the inital question.

Is Navarro supposed to represent the Conservative end of the Hispanic community? Why are most Conservative spokespeople so annoying and downright stupid? Navarro, SE Cupp, these are just two examples of grating annoying Conservative airheads, who babble on and say absolutely nothing.

I won't even get into Navarro's annoying heavily accented English. If she's so intelligent, and wanted to be in the public eye, shouldn't learning to speak unaccented English been on her priority list while she was in high school and college?

Please don't say as an American, that I probably don't speak a second language, I actually speak four languages.

If you are going to live in the US and want to work in a field where people need to understand what you are saying, learn to speak unaccented English!

by Anonymousreply 1107/30/2013

I think comments that demonize Lemon or discount some pretty valid points are completely delusional. He is correct. Sorry. You stand a better chance of being hired if you speak correct English. You stand a better chance of being hired if you dress appropriately. This goes for people of all races and backgrounds. Around 16 I realized that I had a very thick Philly accent and a speaking style that was laden with slang. While I am not so hard on myself when in the company of friends and family, I code switch when I am with clients or interviewing. It is a mechanism one must use when they desire to be taken seriously and it transcends race. Lemon was clearly speaking of the group he identifies with, as I would of lower/ working class inner city white folks.

by Anonymousreply 1307/30/2013

R1, I don't know if Lemon is partnered up, but he was wearing a gold band on his left hand, fourth finger, in that clip.

by Anonymousreply 1407/30/2013

I'm black and I really don't understand what he said that was so wrong. I don't think sagging and wearing a hoodie should get you shot, but if you want to get somewhere in life, your appearance and as my mother used to say, "speaking like you've got some sense" will open a hell of a lot more doors that may have been shut to you.

by Anonymousreply 1507/30/2013

He has undoubtedly faced racism and homophobia in his life. For any white person to DARE to criticize him or call him a "Tom" is the height of racism. You have no right to judge Don for his opinions, he is the one who is black and has the right to say any fucking thing he wants without being second guessed or judged by some white guy who has no clue. The PC-Queens on this thread are the most despicable type of racists, those who will denigrate a black man because his views aren't "black enough" for what they've been engineered to believe (because they sure as hell haven't lived it). Just incredible.

by Anonymousreply 1607/30/2013

It's the blacks who are calling him a Tom, r16. You might want to rethink your little persecution complex tirade on that point.

by Anonymousreply 1807/30/2013

Oh come off it, R17. Ebonics is a contemporary concept of a language - hardly a "native tongue." The roots of it are in the poor education that Blacks got for so many decades (and continue to get in many areas even today). It's no more a legitmate dialect than Southern white slang or any other kind of poor English due to lack of education, intellectual laziness, or a delusional attempt to at P.C.

Bad English is bad English. Period.

by Anonymousreply 1907/30/2013

Lemon is saying many of the same things that Bill Cosby said several years ago.

What's really at stake here is money. Thug culture is very profitable for quite a few people - more than a few of them white. And the foundation of thug culture is, I think, generally destructive (crime, drugs, misogyny, homophobia, hyper-masculinity) though it does share a desperate desire for riches that crosses all ethnic boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 2007/30/2013

Correction: "...a delusional attempt at P.C."

My bad English (or maybe a legitimate dialect??).

by Anonymousreply 2107/30/2013

So a guy trying to be a positive influence and do what is best for young black guys is a racist and self-loathing?

This is EXACTLY what he's talking about - the celebration of ignorance and prison culture in the black community.

Sometimes I think the establishment trashes people like Lemon because they want to keep black people in a permanent state of subservience. The white owners of the media encourage thuggish behavior as "cool" knowing in the long run it will keep blacks from truly finding their voice and gaining power as a community. They attack people like Lemon who see through their bullshit and raise up clowns like 50 Cent, P Diddy and Kanye and Jay Z.

by Anonymousreply 2207/30/2013

There are plenty of white thugs and Latino thugs, too, R12. If the thugs (all homophobic, by the way) cannot be criticized then society has really fallen. It will affect ordinary people the most.

by Anonymousreply 2307/30/2013

That is totally it, R22

by Anonymousreply 2407/30/2013

If your everyday white and your everyday black (for lack of better terminology, 99%ers) weren't constantly baited to be at odds with one another, oh dear god, would the 1%ers be in trouble. The powerful create dissention between us because if we were on the same page, there would be nowhere for them to hide.

It is not white, black and brown. It is the 1% and then everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 2507/30/2013

[quote] Don went after the gay community when he came out, stating that it was theist homophobic community in the country

Say what?

by Anonymousreply 2607/30/2013

Why does race always have to be brought up into every sociological conversation in this blasted country? I'm so damn tired of it! The more we focus on our differences, the less likely we'll ever be able to achieve racial harmony, which actually is robbing the younger generations of realizing MLK's dream.

by Anonymousreply 2707/30/2013

R18, Fuck you on your obfuscation. You know good and christing well that I was referring to the DL posters on this thread that are white and yet have the gall to condemn a black man for his views.

by Anonymousreply 2907/30/2013

I don't really dispute what he said as far it applies to individuals, but I do think there is some wishful and facile thinking going on.

by Anonymousreply 3007/30/2013

What Don Lemon is saying is true. He was just stating 5 simple things that might make a difference in some black people's lives. And one of the major ones he site was the 72% illegitimate birthrate of African Americans--a true stat by the way.

Inevitably whenever I see the local news about another Chicago murder whether about the victim or perpetrator what you'll always see is a group of women & mothers & grandmothers. Some of the grandmothers are in their 30's. Their stories are always similar--they're working two jobs to support their kids and their kids are running around unsupervised. So the kids join gangs, sell drugs and hang out with the wrong crowd.

And yes this is about poverty but it's also about an attitude that says it's ok to have your first child at 14 and your second and third child from someone else and to not expect the fathers to be around or to help out. He's asking for that attitude to change & for people to have the amount of kids they can afford to raise because children exacerbates poverty.

Lemon's other points are equally valid. Instead of just dismissing it out of hand maybe some of the black leaders should consider preaching it more. Look how much energy the black preachers spent in Illinois trying to stop gay marriage & acting like it's the downfall of civilization. These preachers & leaders obviously have some misplaced priorities and need to start facing up to what's really wrong in the community.

by Anonymousreply 3207/30/2013

Glad "Uncle Tom" is being taken back. Stowe's "Uncle Tom" self-sacrifices. Yes, he's a black man who self-sacrifices for family, for children, for a particularly sense of honor suited to their individual late 18th-mid19th Century circumstances. An example of a tradition of heroic honor and altruism in the 19th Century novel. He shares this with people like Dumas's Marguerite Gautier, Hugo's Jean Val Jean, Dickens's Sydney Carton, Austen's Anne Elliott and Elinore Dashwood, Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre and Tolstoy's Pierre Bolkonsky.

To argue that because, unlike other 19th century altruistic protagonists, he's a black man and a slave, and, therefore, does not represent the same heroism and humanity as other 19th century altruistic protagonists; to hold that his self-sacrifice simplistically represents acquiescence to being owned, to being dehumanized, is, ironically to dehumanize him and hold him out to be less than his fictional colleagues in journeys of putting themselves last. He's not less than them. He's equally heroic and inspiring.

by Anonymousreply 3307/30/2013

CNN was the most guilty of all the media outlets for trying to incite riots by scaring the shit out of white people and promoting the "thug" image of Treyvon Martin and the "crazy redneck" image of Zimmerman.

Shame on CNN, and Lemon knows that he must kiss their racist, fear-mongering ass to keep his job.

by Anonymousreply 3507/30/2013

correction meant to write: poor and the world is racist against you.

by Anonymousreply 3707/30/2013

"It's no more a legitmate dialect than Southern white slang or any other kind of poor English due to lack of education, intellectual laziness, or a delusional attempt to at P.C."

You're wrong. Deep Appalachian Southern White "slang" is not only a legitimate dialect, it is probably the most authentic form of English in the world, being far more like the English spoken in 14th Century England than the English spoken today anywhere else.

But apart from that, you're premise as to what is a legitimate dialect and what is not is deeply flawed in elitism. Biased in its classism, at the same time you show a complete ignorance of classicism when it comes to the English language.

by Anonymousreply 3807/30/2013

R38 I think the bottom line is no one who speaks in Ebonics is going to get hired to do anything but flip burgers, and maybe not even that.

by Anonymousreply 3907/30/2013

It's the same thing with women dressing extremely scantily clad, sort of cartoon prostitute/ho style. You don't want to attack women, but honestly that type of dress is not helping them in life. And it shows a lack of liberation - it does not that they are liberated. Plus it does not look good.

It's tricky to talk about things when a group has faced criticism, but the roles/and looks that people take on can hurt them/limit them in life. I think that is all he is trying to say.

by Anonymousreply 4007/30/2013

Don is of course correct. But you must listen to what he doesn't say as much as what he does say. He doesn't mention institutionalized racism, white flight, an inhumane drug policy, international economic forces, and the prison-industrial complex (among other things) as leading to the struggles of the black community in America. He places the blame squarely on black people, offering the most banal advice. He is correct: blacks (heck, everyone) should focus on doing better in school. Blacks and liberals are up in arms about his remarks not because we necessarily love baggy pants or not knowing how to add, but because he reduces the complex problem of race in America to something that white conservatives can nod their heads to while they continue to implement policies that are the real reason for the lion's share of problems that the black community faces.

by Anonymousreply 4107/30/2013

[quote]He doesn't mention institutionalized racism, white flight, an inhumane drug policy, international economic forces, and the prison-industrial complex (among other things) as leading to the struggles of the black community in America. He places the blame squarely on black people, offering the most banal advice.

You can't mention all of these things and discuss them EVERY SINGLE TIME you want to talk about race. Something is ALWAYS going to be left out, but that doesn't invalidate what he said.

by Anonymousreply 4207/30/2013

R42, I don't know why these things can't be discussed every single time. Every single time race is mentioned, small potatoes like "saggy pants" are also mentioned simultaneously. You cannot adequately analyze the problem of race without mentioning the institutions that construct "race" as a social condition. The point is not to blame whites for racism, or to absolve blacks of not truly organizing and fighting for empowerment, it is to carefully analyze the problem and allow for the intellectual bedrock that will allow black people to dismantle a system that has not worked in their favor.

by Anonymousreply 4307/30/2013

I get so frustrated with other black people who believe that this shouldn't be discussed in public, as if white people don't talk about it or think it. Forget the sagging pants. Why is it okay for a 14 year old girl to have a kid? Why is it okay to have 6 kids by 6 different men by the time you are 22? Why is it okay to father children without consequences? Why is studying and doing well in school considered acting white? Why don't we get just as pissed off about this as we do about Paula Deen? It makes no fucking sense.

by Anonymousreply 4407/30/2013

Don Lemon tries to identify with too many groups. He should realize by now that people are not going to like him for two reasons, his race and his sexuality, he should forget about what criticisms he gets and just shut up and report. I swear he wishes he was a bigger name in the news business.

by Anonymousreply 4607/30/2013

Last I checked Martin Luther King Jr. spoke well. He dressed well. He was even deferential. They assassinated him. Half-black President Obama dresses well. He has a better command of the English language than most of the Anglosphere. He's still a n*gger.

To the active bigot you'll always be a n*gger. The passive bigot is just waiting for one slip up to confirm you're a n*gger.

Don Lemon knows this. He's seeking attention.

(Typed this w/o edits, but apparently DL has banned the word)

by Anonymousreply 4807/30/2013

I totally disagree with this notion that all racism must be put to an end before trying out any suggestions. Sorry it's not going to happen in their lifetime so you need to deal with the cards you're dealt. You really think people aren't prejudiced against other groups like Mexicans, Chinese or Muslims or gay people. You can't just sit back & do nothing because life is unfair. You can't just stay in the discussion phase forever.

You really need to end the attitude that promoting a good education, wearing appropriate clothes and ending teenage pregnancy is somehow the equivalent to telling blacks they have to act white in order to succeed.

And the stop worshipping thug culture is a good suggestion. Just yesterday another child, a 4 year old, was shot while outside in Chicago by gangs. There should be a wake up call at some point.

by Anonymousreply 4907/30/2013

Don Lemon is a FOOL.

by Anonymousreply 5107/30/2013

Don Lemon is a gay white man in black face.

by Anonymousreply 5207/30/2013

Plenty of white men shoot black kids without media attention. This got media attention because it took several weeks for Zimmerman to be indicted on murder charges, when it was fairly obvious that the circumstances called for such an indictment. And the media attention just snowballed from there.

by Anonymousreply 5307/30/2013

Ebonics legitimate? LMFAO

I better take some lessons then so next time I am in the hood, they will appreciate my attempt to communicate like they do in most countries.

by Anonymousreply 5407/30/2013

It all boil downs to family. If you are raised by decent parents, gay or straight, then more than likely you will be immune to the nonsense around you. I know I was. That is the main problem in the black community.

by Anonymousreply 5507/30/2013

Lets just be honest about the baggy pants people. We hate them, they look ridiculous, and women would never be allowed to wear dresses in public like that 3 times larges that they physically have ot hold them on as they walk.

I have white kind and black kids to this. Its stupid, stop it please. Im talking to you Justin Bieber.

Besides, it roots come from prison where bottom bitches did that to signify they were available for service. Why are we celebrating prison life? I dont see anyone making Pruno or Prison Cheese.

by Anonymousreply 5707/30/2013

Blacks have a hard time finding an identity I think mostly because of slavery vanished what real history blacks had. Whites don't go through the same identity crisis that balcks go through. Like for instance I often heard doing middle school and high school that I was trying to act "white" because of my voice and clam, quiet nature. I didnt curse or wear certain baggy clothing, didnt listen to rap. So in this community, not only are you steroetype by other races but you face steroetypes from own communities. It is very difficult. To this day I still get asked alot, "Where are you from?" Or get commented how well spoken I am. What if I was white? Would that even be asked?

by Anonymousreply 5807/30/2013

R15 speaks sensibly. It's shocking how people think these issues can only have one conversation going at a time. Yes, institutionalized racism such as drug policy should be addressed, but there is little a 14 year old girl in Chicago can do about it today. She can, however, choose to not have unprotected sex this afternoon.

Lemon makes the point that you're more likely to be listened to on policy questions about urban food deserts if your pants aren't falling off of your ass and you speak English in such a way as to sound educated. And to deny this simple truth is delusional.

by Anonymousreply 5907/30/2013

Good points, R58

by Anonymousreply 6007/30/2013

R59, no one is denying that, Christ. They are angry that public discourse is dominated by screeds against "saggy pants" and patronizing tsk-tsking about absent fathers.

by Anonymousreply 6107/30/2013

I'm r58 and sometimes as a black man I am embarrased how other young black males act in public, not only in clothing but last week I was in a certain area populated by mostly whites and these two young black guys called each other the "N" in front of whites. I was so humiliated! It was one of those moments that reminded how far down the black community has gone down. MLK would have never permitted such a vile word to come out of his people's mouths.

by Anonymousreply 6207/30/2013

"MLK would have never permitted such a vile word to come out of his people's mouths."

MLK fought against racism, he didn't defend it which is what you are doing.

Bitching about how black men dress but not attacking white men who wear the same types of clothes is racism.

by Anonymousreply 6407/30/2013

R58, that's too much of a general statement. All blacks don't have an identity crisis. All blacks don't curse and where baggy clothes. Good grief. And if you are still getting those types of questions, maybe you need to upgrade who you hang around.

by Anonymousreply 6507/30/2013

R64 and R63 I'm pretty sure the white kid gets plenty of lectures about the way he's dressing. And in general, white society looks down on those kids black or white that dress that way and they let them know. They don't get to come into the schools dressed like that & they won't get hired if they dress like that.

The problem is Don Lemon is giving the same advice any white kid gest growing up like don't act like a thug and dress better, but all the Big Talking Heads Black Leaders are tut tuting and calling Lemon an Uncle Tom for it.

They don't do what white society does, which is to say to people like Justin Beiber stop dressing like that because you look like a damn fool.

by Anonymousreply 6607/30/2013

R64 Moron who misses the point!

by Anonymousreply 6707/30/2013

Why isn't there a widespread push against "white" fashion: grown men wearing mom jeans, graphic t-shirts, running shoes, and baseball caps in public spaces, including restaurants and places of worship. Compared to THAT, baggy pants are tuxedos.

by Anonymousreply 6807/30/2013

R66, you obviously have never talked to a black person, because I always hear them complaining about some in their community wearing baggy pants and saying the n-word. But they also supplement this by saying that there are far larger problems that contribute to the status of the black community, which is not what Lemon did or does.

by Anonymousreply 6907/30/2013

Don simply lacks the gravitas to make social pronouncements of any type. Where's Louie Farrakhan when you need him?

by Anonymousreply 7007/30/2013

Thank you, r68. The clothing issue is a complete red herring.

by Anonymousreply 7107/30/2013

@62, why were you embarrassed? Did you raise the two black men? As far as MLK Jr permitting it, that's a joke. He didn't own black people.

You sound like one of those blacks who feels like you must impress whites at all times. Sad. Are you half Asian?

by Anonymousreply 7207/30/2013

"Moron who misses the point!"

You're the moron, just like all the conservatives on this board who are defending Lemon. Studies have linked conservative beliefs to low IQ. You probably think homosexuality can be cured through prayer.

"They don't do what white society does, which is to say to people like Justin Beiber stop dressing like that because you look like a damn fool."

White people don't use Justin Bieber to represent all whites.

by Anonymousreply 7307/30/2013

"you obviously have never talked to a black person, because I always hear them complaining about some in their community wearing baggy pants and saying the n-word."

Always? Really?

by Anonymousreply 7407/30/2013

He should have kept his mouth shut.

by Anonymousreply 7507/30/2013

The fact that you feel like those other young, black males represent you or that you have to feel the shame for their behavior, is the problem R62. Just because you're black doesn't mean you should have to pay for their actions.

When a white person does something questionable or acts foolishly, the rest of the white people don't bend their heads in shame and say, Oh my God; now everyone is going to think we all act this way. They are treated as individuals. The fact that most blacks aren't, is the problem.

by Anonymousreply 7607/30/2013

@76, you are exactly right.

by Anonymousreply 7707/30/2013

Here is the ugly truth. White people can just do some things that visible minorities can't. Justin Beiber can act like a fool and dress like a fool and his behavior doesn't effect anyone except him. White people can steal and rape and act like asses and no one holds every other white person accountable for those actions.

It's wrong, it's fucked up, but it's not going to change any time soon.

Speaking well, studying, dressing appropriately and just being a productive member of society doesn't make you less black. My Dad always told me that I was going to have to work twice as hard to get half as far as my white friends and he was right.

I'm not dismissing institutionalized racism as a major factor, but at some point you have to take control of your life and make positive choices. And those choices sometimes mean being a part of the mainstream which entrails dressing and speaking a certain way.

by Anonymousreply 7807/30/2013

I don't know if that's entirely true, r77. Whites are perfectly capable of demonstrating prejudice against wide swaths of their fellow racial group. I get your point though.

by Anonymousreply 7907/30/2013

[quote]Why isn't there a widespread push against "white" fashion: grown men wearing mom jeans, graphic t-shirts, running shoes, and baseball caps in public spaces, including restaurants and places of worship. Compared to THAT, baggy pants are tuxedos.

Yeah, on what planet? Old men with bad taste in clothes is not the same as young men purposely wearing gang style clothes that have to be held on by one hand because they were not designed to be worn that way.

by Anonymousreply 8007/30/2013

[quote]My younger brother is caucasian and he wears baggy pants. Funny, no one sees fit to lecture him about the proper way to dress.

Oh yes they are, there are saying left and right about your white younger brother. Only its the car watching him cross the street, or whispers after he leaves a store.

It is not a black thing, it is a stupid fashion thug worship thing. Look at how much DL makes fun of Justin Bbieber.

You are the racist if you cant see that.

by Anonymousreply 8107/30/2013

"They don't do what white society does, which is to say to people like Justin Beiber stop dressing like that because you look like a damn fool."

White people don't use Justin Bieber to represent all whites.

Exactly R73. The conversation always reduces a diverse community to the lowest common denominator a stereotype. Skin color does not produce any one particular set of behaviors. R58 The ignorant comments that you encountered growing up were the result of ignorance. However no one race has a monopoly on ignorance. Do you continue to retell that story in order to prove how ignorant you believe black people. You mentioned identity crisis being the culprit. It is fairly common for adolescent and teenage children of all races to search for identity. It is a natural part of growing up. Teenagers often act out. They often dress and speak in a manner that adults find inappropriate. The difference is distasteful behavior by some is used to define the whole black community.

by Anonymousreply 8207/30/2013

The problem is that these are not the problems of all black people. They are the problems of the black poor. Hell, these are problems of the poor to begin with.

As long as we frame the conversation about the negative behavior of poor blacks through a racial lens and not a class lens, the problems will persist, and poor whites will remain in the shadows.

I'm from Ohio. I know poor whites. I know who they are, where they live, and what they act like. Their behavior isn't too much different than that of poor blacks, with the only difference being that their white privilege makes their behavior invisible to the masses.

It is true that blacks make up a high percentage of the people being assisted by the government per capita, yes, but the reality is that most people in the U.S. are white. Most poor people in the U.S. are white.

I think the issue is that in a media metropolis like NYC, you are literally assaulted by poor black people on the streets EVERY SINGLE DAY. You see them any and everywhere. You have to venture far, FAR into Brooklyn to the enclaves where poor whites congregate. Trust me, they are engaging in the same behavior.

This is not a race issue. It is a class and education issue. Again, by making this a race issue and continuing to say "blacks" when what we really mean is "poor, non college educated blacks" we are doing ourselves a great disservice and the conversation will continue to go nowhere.

In a weird way, this is what Don Lemon is trying to say by separating himself from the behavior of poorer and less-educated blacks. It is a conversation that I've had with black friends on multiple occasions, though we try to give a bit more thought to the underlying roots of the problem than I think Don Lemon is capable of giving.

BTW his memoir is fucking awful. It's just really, REALLY bad and devoid of any real insight or revelation. After reading it I honestly thought less of him. I personally don't find him particularly intelligent or capable of the kind of critical thought that it would take for him to successfully make the point that he's trying to make.

by Anonymousreply 8307/30/2013

Correction: Do you continue to retell that story in order to prove how ignorant you believe black people to be.

by Anonymousreply 8407/30/2013

Who is Don Lemon and why does he matter?

by Anonymousreply 8507/30/2013

R62 I am as equally embarrassed by you and your stupidity as you were by the young boys.

by Anonymousreply 8607/30/2013

YOu know what R86, R62 was trying to be honest. You want a conversation about race, then you want truth. Your berating him for honestly saying how he feels is very unhelpful.

He's not being stupid. Some of that behavior is embarrassing. People need to stop condoning it and acting like that's the only way poor black people can act. Having such low expectations for black people is a lot more racist than anything Lemon or O'Reilly ever said.

by Anonymousreply 8707/30/2013

There are decent poor people and they should be celebrated, not the thugs

by Anonymousreply 8807/30/2013

Am I the only one who likes to see young men, regardless of race, wearing saggy pants? It means they can't commit a violent crime and then run away. The lower they wear their pants, the safer I feel.

by Anonymousreply 8907/30/2013

[quote] I know poor whites. I know who they are, where they live, and what they act like. Their behavior isn't too much different than that of poor blacks, with the only difference being that their white privilege makes their behavior invisible to the masses.

Really? Who do you think as been the running cast of characters in Jerry Springer the past 20 years. Invisible? Riiiiiight. You keep telling yourself that.

by Anonymousreply 9007/30/2013

R89, Yeah, you might want to rethink that ill prepared theory:

by Anonymousreply 9107/30/2013

OK r90, I'll take that.

Then ask yourself how often you see newscasters on cable news talk about the problems of poor whites. How about their behavior? Or the culture of dependence on government handouts? How often do you see them on television? Or going viral as an internet meme?

The point is that poor whites are kept invisible so that we can keep perpetuating the myth that black = poor. Because as long as we do that, we don't have to face the class problem which is at the root of all this behavior.

by Anonymousreply 9207/30/2013

[quote]. I personally don't find him particularly intelligent or capable of the kind of critical thought that it would take for him to successfully make the point that he's trying to make.

Exactly, his comments are too simplistic for such a complex issue.

[quote]The point is that poor whites are kept invisible so that we can keep perpetuating the myth that black = poor. Because as long as we do that, we don't have to face the class problem which is at the root of all this behavior

SO true.

by Anonymousreply 9307/30/2013

[quote]The point is that poor whites are kept invisible

Again, not true. Honey Boo Boo ring a bell? Poor white trash everywhere you turn. Media was all over this. Dont pretend you dont know or made fun of it either. Your just as guilty.

by Anonymousreply 9407/30/2013

R83 is right. Poor, uneducated people are more like each other than they are different, regardless of their respective races, religions, or ethnic cultures.

And vice versa. Condoleeza Rice, Colin Powell, Desmond Tutu, & the Obamas have everything in common with white members of the educated professional class except race.

And both groups are vastly different from each other, but on the basis of class, not race. The British have always known this, while Americans insist that class distinctions are artificial & don't matter -- in fact, just the opposite is true.

by Anonymousreply 9507/30/2013

"Old men with bad taste in clothes is not the same as young men purposely wearing gang style clothes that have to be held on by one hand because they were not designed to be worn that way." R80 Actually for those who actually have some level of taste both of those are equally offensive.

R87 R62 was honest about how he felt and I was honest about how I felt. I'm not condoning anyone's poor behavior. I wish that people of all races would behave pristinely at all times but that's not realistic. Clearly you didn't read my comment about behavior and race. Race does not determine behavior. Therefore I have no behavioral expectations based upon race. People of all races often behave poorly. Unfortunately people attempt to define the entire black community based upon the distasteful behavior of a few. Therefore what the two young boys said or did is a reflection of the entire black community. R62 is then left embarrassed because of someone else's flawed racist thought processes. Are Asians embarrassed every time there's a traffic accident involving an Asian driver. No they are not Are white people embarrassed every time a new episode of Honey Boo Boo airs. No they are not. Progressive people can and do educate themselves; and move past demonizing others based upon stereotypes. Ignorance is a choice.

by Anonymousreply 9607/30/2013

I'm not sure why people keep citing random TV shows as proof that poor whites aren't largely invisible. Black poverty is urban (80+% of this country lives in urban areas). White poverty is largely rural (you can do the math).

Also, white people are not really trying to acknowledge white poverty as it would severely disrupt their self-congratulatory notions.

by Anonymousreply 9707/30/2013

I think intelligent poor white people (they exist) are embarrassed by Honey Boo Boo and similar shows

by Anonymousreply 9807/30/2013

self-hating black man/homo.

by Anonymousreply 9907/30/2013

Great post R92

by Anonymousreply 10007/30/2013

GBM: fuck, you're a moron. Worse, you think you're bright.

Honey fucking Boo Boo. Swamp People. Dance Moms. Toddlers & Tiaras. Buckwild. Jersey Shore. Hillbilly Blood. Moonshiners.

Poor whites are constantly in the media in the most condescending and mocking of ways, on television dating back to The Honeymooners, through Beverly Hillbillies and All in the Family and Roseanne, and now Raising Hope. Springer made literally hundreds of millions by doing this.

And do you think the whole Jody Arias/Casey Anthony messes had nothing to do with the fact that they were trashy, slutty white girls?

The difference is that white trash does not taint all white people in the way that the signifiers of poor African Americans affect all black people. That's about race. For Don Lemon to make the reasonable suggestion to abandon such signifiers--prison signifiers--is useful advice. I'm sure he'd say the same thing to a white kid with a neck tattoo, but never having had a neck tattoo, he has little credibility. He (and Cosby, who takes similar shit from American Studies undergraduates) does, however, know something about being black.

by Anonymousreply 10207/30/2013

[quote]Don Lemon tries to identify with too many groups. He should realize by now that people are not going to like him for two reasons, his race and his sexuality, he should forget about what criticisms he gets and just shut up and report.

Who'd of thought you could read a comment like this on a gay gossip site? Cunt.

Don talks about this very point in his book. He constantly felt like everyone tried to box him in when he started in news. You can tell he struggled and was obsessed with this very much as an adolescent. Don came from a well to do black family in the South, and he also came from a two parent household before his dad died. His life was very different from most black children his age. After reading about his life, you can see how his life experiences shape his opinions. He's not kissing white people's asses. He's speaking his truth. So it's absurd and ignorant to even call him "Uncle Tom".

by Anonymousreply 10307/30/2013

For some reason people can separate the Honey Boo Boo family from all other white people. They can't do the same for black people. Or for that matter gay people. Have you ever been asked some silly question because the asker thinks that all gay people are alike?

by Anonymousreply 10407/30/2013

my issue is Don is that he sides with O'Reilly, who we know is not coming from a genuine place of concern for Blacks. O'Reilly appeals to the mindset of the conservative racists and for Don to publicly agree with him and say that he wasnt hard enough on us blacks is very inappropriate. Seeing that he IS partnered with a White and is siding with White conservatives about blacks, especially right after the Trayvon Martin story, I think it is appropriate to call Don an UNCLE TOM

by Anonymousreply 10507/30/2013

Oh for fuck sake r105, do you also say that studying and getting good grades is acting white?

by Anonymousreply 10607/30/2013

I'm not sure I can take an avowed snowqueen seriously on the problems facing black Americans.

by Anonymousreply 10707/30/2013

Witness the self-congratulation at R106.

by Anonymousreply 10807/30/2013

r102 I don't think I'm bright sweetie, you do, as evidenced by your response and the fact that I can engage other posters in debate without resorting to name calling.

The point is that the poor whites on the shows you mention are used for pure entertainment value. They're not meant to represent all whites, nor are they seriously used as a jumping off point to discuss problems that are ingrained in poor white culture.

If anything, their presence seems to reinforce the idea that they are an anomaly among whites and that the successful whites we see in all areas of society represent the norm.

That is the issue at hand. My point remains that as long as we talk about the behavior of poor blacks as if it represents all blacks, we haven't even scratched the surface of the real conversation, which is what I think all these trolling assholes like O'Reilly and Lemon in the media really want.

The idea that any black kid spouting off epithets or walking around with sagging pants on TV or on the subways of NYC or anywhere else is supposed to somehow reflect negatively on me is the height of racist. I got over that shit a LONG time ago when I realized that shit would only reflect negatively on me to racists. And there is no degree, amount of $$, or level of command of the English language that is going to make a true racist think of me as anything other than just another n***** on the street. Period.

by Anonymousreply 10907/30/2013

That is not the issue at hand r106, stupid queen, Don is affirming the stereotype that most blacks are that way when that isnt the case. Don as a Black who isnt that way should not perpetuate that stereotype. We come in all types and for Don to agree with O'Reilly and speak to the whole black community, as if he is removed from us and he is giving us a lecture on behalf of the white conservative bigots, it is very Uncle Tom-ish of him.

by Anonymousreply 11007/30/2013

Some gay black men don't like Don for the same reason some white gay men don't like Anderson Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 11107/30/2013

Lemon was right, so I'm damn glad he's not backing down!

by Anonymousreply 11207/30/2013

[quote]I hope someday we can get to a place when people are open to dating both their own group and other groups and don't see beauty as only belonging to 1 group.

by Anonymousreply 11307/30/2013

Great Post R109. I tried to cover the same territory in my last post (R96). You definitly hit the nail on the head.

by Anonymousreply 11407/30/2013

[quote]Again, not true. Honey Boo Boo ring a bell?

She's rich. No one sees her as poor. They see her as stupid hick, not poor white trash.

by Anonymousreply 11507/30/2013

[quote]I'm [R58] and sometimes as a black man I am embarrased how other young black males act in public, not only in clothing but last week I was in a certain area populated by mostly whites and these two young black guys called each other the "N" in front of whites. I was so humiliated! It was one of those moments that reminded how far down the black community has gone down. MLK would have never permitted such a vile word to come out of his people's mouths.

lol, hi, Maude!

by Anonymousreply 11607/30/2013

Great Post R110.

by Anonymousreply 11707/30/2013

I agree with GBM. I also like Don Lemon. He's intelligent, warm and has a great on-screen presence. Why should his being black limit him, why should being gay limit him? I think he reflects very positively on the gay community. I don't agree that being black means being crude or wearing pants falling down. I despise all racism: anti-black or anti-white. Hate is hate and it's wrong.

by Anonymousreply 11807/30/2013

Some people say Don's okay

Offend the black and Offend the gay

That's peachy for some people

Who don't know how to play

But I

At least got to try

When I think of

All the black leaders I gotta kiss up too

All the rednecks I gotta thrill

All the fatsos I throw a pie too and

All the sessions with dumb Dr. Phil.

by Anonymousreply 11907/30/2013

Don Lemon is reading this with his sorry pathetic wanna be mulatto [even though he's full black] sorry ass. Keep up the good work and keep sucking white dick.

by Anonymousreply 12007/30/2013

So true r107 so true.

The opinions of a African American man who hates other African American men doesn't mean anything to me and I'm white.

by Anonymousreply 12107/31/2013

[quote]Don Lemon is a FOOL

Yes he is. Don Lemon wants white people to like him. A black man in the White House yet we still have these kinds of embarrassments.

by Anonymousreply 12307/31/2013

I think the people calling Don Lemon a fool are the big Fools on here.

You want to bury your heads in the sand and pretend that there's not a problem in the inner cities with the black community. There was a 4 year old shot in Chicago who was playing outside just this Monday. And that's a normal day there.

My son is doing a summer job in Chicago with a lot of African Americans. Some are as he calls them old who told him about times where it was actually safe to live there. One is a young woman who's seen so many murders, including one where the person she was walking with was shot in the face, that she's says that she feels nothing now when she hears about other deaths and shootings. She says she knows something's wrong with feeling like that.

The stuff he hears about is heartbreaking. And yes, I'm aware Don Lemon is not offering deep solutions. But sometimes you have to start off with the superficial. How many schools have said just a simple thing like having school uniforms have helped with kids school scores.

What Don was saying was dress and act like you respect yourself . You want to complain that white kids also dress badly, do drugs etc. I guess that makes you feel better about keeping things the status quo.

by Anonymousreply 12407/31/2013

This Gawker piece was written specifically for the likes of r124.

[bold]Video of Violent, Rioting Surfers Shows White Culture of Lawlessness[/bold]

[italic]A frightening and violent mob swept through the normally quiet seaside community of Huntington Beach last night following a surfing competition in the area. Businesses were vandalized and looted, portable toilets overturned, and brutal fistfights waged right out in the open. It was an ugly display and a sad day for California. But more than that, it was a reminder that we must begin to seriously consider the values of our thuggish white youth...

Many people don't want to hear this kind of tough love, of course. They'd like to bury their heads in the sand and pretend that all white children are as sweet and harmless as Taylor Swift. But the reality is that the statistics tell a different story. For instance, according to research from the Department of Justice, 84 percent of white murder victims are killed by other white people [PDF]. Similarly, white rape victims tend to be raped by other whites [PDF]. [bold]White-on-white violence is a menace to white communities across the country, and yet you never hear white leaders like Pastor Joel Osteen, Bill O'Reilly, or Hillary Clinton take a firm stance against the scourge[/bold].[/italic]

Read on at link

by Anonymousreply 12507/31/2013

r62 makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 12607/31/2013

If you're anything other than white you can't just be an individual, you're expected to represent everyone else from your particular race or culture. It's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 12707/31/2013

I think the amazing thing is that anyone gives a fuck what Lemon says. Aside from people with too much time on their hands and other media types, no one has ever heard of him.

by Anonymousreply 12807/31/2013

R125 You're assuming a hell of a lot ( including about my race which I'm pretty sure is darker than yours). I do not imagine because there's violence in Chicago that that means all blacks are violent or wear baggy clothes or any number of stereotypes. It's obvious white people have problems too & commit all variety of crimes. But Don Lemon was not trying to fix white people problems. He was speaking about his community because that's the one he cares about.

I care. I get angry and upset when I see these kids with so much potential shot and killed. And when you talk to teenagers and they'll telling you how apathetic they feel, that they don't believe they're going to live until they're 30 and how they have symptoms that mimic PTSD then yes, I do think ANYONE who's even considering a solution should be listed to and not mocked. Don Lemon is not the enemy here.

by Anonymousreply 12907/31/2013

I meant to post 'should be listened to'

by Anonymousreply 13007/31/2013

Watch out R129, I've written here about PTSD in the poorer black communities and was called a racist. I have seen the symptoms in many poor communities but that thread was about Treyvon Martin.

In fact, I see it everywhere now.

by Anonymousreply 13107/31/2013

"He was speaking about his community because that's the one he cares about." R129 I'm sure that you believe that Bill O'Reilly cares about black people too. O'Reilly rants about the horrors of the black community because he cares so much about blacks and Don Lemon cosigns the rant because he cares so much about his community(even though he won't even date someone from his community). This helps the black community because until Bill O'Reilly said something no one in the community had any idea what was going on. Now that O'Reilly and Lemon have honored black people with their brilliance the world is a better place. R129 your naivete is absolutely astounding. You should tune in to Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh I'm sure that they have more brilliant concern that will inspire you.

by Anonymousreply 13207/31/2013

What is wrong with Don Lemon dating a white guy? Hating people because they are white is racism too. There shouldn't be any preference based on race. White should be equal to black. I think Don Lemon is too smart to fall back into the outdated thinking that black people need extra help (priveledge) because they're black. We're supposed to all be equal. He is a credit to his race AND to gay people.

by Anonymousreply 13307/31/2013

[quote] I'm sure that you believe that Bill O'Reilly cares about black people too.

No I don't. I'm well aware Bill O'Reily is an asshole who cares about no one else but himself. Glenn Beck is a deranged idiot and Rush Limbaugh needs to crawl in a hole never to be heard from again.

YOu sound like a moron and a racist. Who Lemon decides to date does not disqualify him from having an opinion.

Don Lemon did not say anything new but it certainly bears repeating. There were 532 murders largely black on black in Chicago last year. That's not counting the victims that didn't die. Call me naive, but I'm not satisfied with that Status Quo.

by Anonymousreply 13407/31/2013

R133 Who mentioned anything about hating white people? That was your bigoted assumption. I completely support interracial dating. However I do question anyone who dates exclusively outside of their race. If race doesn't matter then you will date all races including your own. WHO exactly made any request for "extra help" or privilege as you put it? Black people want to be treated equally and not demonized by stereotypes. Which is exactly what you did. You decided that the black people are looking for something extra help. We must be looking for some sort of handout because that's a convenient stereotype for you to lean on. We should be equal but based upon the implications off your statements we are not.

by Anonymousreply 13507/31/2013

I'm so sick of hearing about "black on black" crime. MOST crime is intra-racial, meaning blacks commit crimes against blacks, whites against whites, and the like.

And r133, "a credit to his race?" Really? Are you posting from 1963? If so, tell JFK to keep his head down.

by Anonymousreply 13607/31/2013

R134 Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and I'm sure you're familiar with the rest of that expression. Let me repeat this for you. I support interracial dating. However I have a problem with people who date exclusively outside of their race. Here's a quick analogy just for you. If you tell me that you love domestic cars but you would never ever drive or buy one. I will have some doubts about your love for domestic cars.

You came to the conclusion that I'm a racist. However you support Don Lemon's who is supporting Bill O'Reilly. You refer to Bill O'Reilly as a "asshole" but you refer to me as a racist. You say that Bill O'Reilly doesn't care about anyone so what exactly was the objective of his commentary. Now if you can determine the objective of O'Reilly's commentary; how exactly does supporting Bill O'Reilly or using the same tactics O'Reilly used serve the black community in any meaningful way.

There are so many ugly stereotypes thrown around on this site and so much hateful bigotry expressed here. However I'm what you define as a racist. That's very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 13707/31/2013

I can't at people acting like the black community in the USA isn't completely fucked up. Get over your pc bs, Don is right. Get your shit together, black america. And quit blaming white people.

by Anonymousreply 13807/31/2013

The objective of O'Reilly was probably to change the subject away from Trayvon Martin and racial profiling. For that reason Lemon should have probably found a way to say what he did without openly supporting O'Reilly or deferred his comments to a less volatile time.

But it doesn't make what Lemon said incorrect nor make him an enemy. No matter who he's dating, he did choose to move to Harlem and I doubt very much it's because he doesn't like black people.

by Anonymousreply 13907/31/2013

As a white person I always find it hilarious when right wing bigots claim that we are all burying our heads in the sand about Chicago ( which is basically an anomaly and constantly talked about)but these same people NEVER talk about the meth, heroin, and prescription drug epidemic and the increasing violence and crime associated with it. White prison incarceration has actually increased while black has decreased. But you never hear about any of this from these same people. I guess their "concern" only goes so far.

by Anonymousreply 14007/31/2013

R138 What "You Cant" is offer more to this discussion than your hatred, bigotry and your lack of any real intellect.

Why don't you, Bill O'Reilly and these other Neanderthals worry about the explosion of poverty in the white community. Worry about getting that shit together.

by Anonymousreply 14107/31/2013

I am a black man who happens to be dating a white man and I really take offense to some of the comments in this thread.

Just because I am dating a white person does not mean that I don't find other black men attractive. I like THIS particular person, not because of his skin color but because I actually like HIM.

I find that more black people give me shit about race than white people do.

by Anonymousreply 14207/31/2013

R142 There are hateful bigoted comments made here about black people all day everyday but apparently those comments don't offend you. Instead you're offended by black people who do fight against the bigotry so you've come here to add to the complaints about the terrible terrible black people. Thanks.

As far as interracial dating goes, I will try to make this clear. I support interracial dating. I love men of all races. However I have a problem with men of any race who date exclusively outside of their race. I personally don't understand people who don't see the beauty in all races including their own.

by Anonymousreply 14407/31/2013

Oh, shut up, r143. We're talking about articles of clothing, manufactured and marketed by the same forces that then condemn a consumer for wearing them. It's nuts. And I think anybody gullible enough to take the position of a black network anchor simply because he's wearing a suit to be incredibly naïve. Real black people know the suit and tie routine was a staple of the minstrel show as well.

by Anonymousreply 14507/31/2013

Then hows come we've never had an aborigine or new Guinean as Miss World, r44?

by Anonymousreply 14607/31/2013

Suits and ties didn't prevent blacks from being beaten and lynched during TCRM. Zoot suits were considered inappropriate as well. I can't wait to see if the right wing bigots will blame punks and goths for increasing white incarceration/crime, poverty, and drug use. Somehow I doubt it. Black Americans have one of the highest college attendance rates, decreasing incarceration rates, increasing middle class, decreasing teen pregnancy rate, 90% over the age of 25 have a high school diploma or equivalent... but we're supposed to believe that they are "completely fucked up." That's just more of that one-sided concern from right wing bigots whose minority outreach campaign is going just fine. Don't do battle with the trolls here, they have nothing better to do.

by Anonymousreply 14807/31/2013

It's always so funny that the whites of DL know everything black people need to do to fix their community, what with the outrageous rates of HIV infection, depression, drug use, sexual promiscuity, and suicides within the gay community.

Why, you'd think that the gay community is perfect!

But, you know it's OK. Black people are everyone's scapegoats, as if pontificating about our problems are going to fix theirs, including Don Lemon, who's own thinly veiled self-hatred is the most revealing part of his awful memoir.

American society is EXTREMELY fucked up right now. That's everybody, including blacks, gays, and *gasp* whites! Greedy white men brought our economy and financial system to its knees, but of course lets spend all of our time trying to "fix" black America.

The 2013 Summer of Racism has truly made me sickened by this country.

by Anonymousreply 14907/31/2013

R147 Your comments speak for themselves as does the ignorance posted in so many of the treads here. Calling me names does not change that. What my post does prove is that I can read and comprehend unlike you. Although, for people like you the content of my post doesn't matter. You will trot out the same antiquated stereotypes ad nauseum. You are simply trolling for another opportunity to express your stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 15007/31/2013

Don't shoot the messenger.

by Anonymousreply 15107/31/2013

[quote]I can't at people acting like the black community in the USA isn't completely fucked up. Get over your pc bs, Don is right. Get your shit together, black america. And quit blaming white people.

If you think all of black people's problems are caused by black americans themselves, then you are delusional or ignorant, and likely not a black person. Its a combination of a lot of things, some caused by black people, some not.

[quote]However I have a problem with men of any race who date exclusively outside of their race. I personally don't understand people who don't see the beauty in all races including their own.

Are you saying you have a problem with Don Lemon because his boyfriend is/was white? Don is 47, no one here knows his entire dating history.

by Anonymousreply 15207/31/2013

The thing about Don Lemon dating a white guy is that it's an established pattern, and if you read between the lines from his memoir and many of his public statements and associations, stems from an inferiority complexed life and ever present self-hatred.

Interesting how racist whites are rallying behind his stupid remarks, I'm sure that's what he wanted.

by Anonymousreply 15307/31/2013

Hasn't Don Lemon been with Ben Tinker for years now? Other than that do you really know his pattern of dating or as R152 said his entire dating history. Maybe he's with this one white guy because he loves this one white guy. Seems like lots of people are making all kinds of assumptions without knowing him.

What do you say when people only date black women like Bill Mahr or Boris Becker who only dates or marries black or biracial women. ARe we to conclude they all hate white people because they also have an established pattern.

I think maybe people should quit with the armchair psychoanalyzing. Lemon said what he said because just weeks before he ran into some woman yelling at her son using the N word. He told her something about it and she turned around and threatened him. He's probably been a little riled up about that incident ever since.

by Anonymousreply 15407/31/2013

This is the kind of stuff that pisses me off. Don Lemon speaks the truth, the same thing that many black people say in their homes or among friends, but God forbid he speak it out loud. The same thing happened to Bill Cosby. My parents, their friends, relatives used to say the same thing all the time.

by Anonymousreply 15507/31/2013

Don Lemon is a bitch ass Uncle Tom. FUCK HIM

by Anonymousreply 15607/31/2013

R149 is correct. The racism heard *outside* this site is shocking in the fact that the post-racial America will probably never happen shit like the reaction to Don as well as even supposedly trivial outbursts by the NFL fool and the Big Brother trash. Zimmerman verdict was just a reaction to terrible toxic feelings flowing through America`s veins right now

by Anonymousreply 15707/31/2013

@155, what does Don Lemon saying it publicly accomplish? Not a damn thing, except get him some attention. If black people roll their eyes at Obama when he lectures, why wouldn't they do it to a gay news reader?

No, Don Lemon, you don't get "the Uncle Tom Award" get the nobody gives a f*ck award about your worthless opinion.

by Anonymousreply 15808/01/2013

I have a lot to say about the comments on this thread but I realize it's pointless to write them out because black people are deeply insecure about themselves in relation to white people. These comments are just about lashing out for being black which you don't like being. As long as white people exist black people will be insecure, angry, bitter and anxious about being black. It's the deep insecurity that fuels these acidic posts. Recently, it's been speculated that India Arie bleached her skin. She is known for writing songs about loving black features. In recent photos she is noticably lighter.

by Anonymousreply 15908/01/2013

Don Lemon is no longer dating Ben Tinker. He's with a new guy now who also happens to be white. He was sitting next to him on The View.

r154 I think his dating pattern has been established.

by Anonymousreply 16008/01/2013

R159 reducing an entire community of people down to four adjectives discredits any theories that you might have to offer about the state of the black community so you are correct about it being pointless to go any further.

It is applauded when white gays speak out about how they are represented and treated by the media. It is applauded as brave and important. It viewed as natural and important for white gays to be militant and vigilant.

A black man who does the same thing is angry, bitter suffering from some obscure pathology. He is wallowing in victimhood and looking for "extra help".

As a member of the news media in this country Mr. Lemon offered his opinions to the public and he is entitled to do that. As a member of the black community I am offering my opinion. I am entitled to do that.

We should all question and challenge the news media in this country much more often. We live in a culture where real journalism is almost dead.

by Anonymousreply 16108/01/2013

[quote]Don talks about this very point in his book. He constantly felt like everyone tried to box him in when he started in news. You can tell he struggled and was obsessed with this very much as an adolescent. Don came from a well to do black family in the South, and he also came from a two parent household before his dad died. His life was very different from most black children his age. After reading about his life, you can see how his life experiences shape his opinions. He's not kissing white people's asses. He's speaking his truth. So it's absurd and ignorant to even call him "Uncle Tom."

I went to high school with Don; or, rather, Don transferred to MY high school (I was a year ahead of him). His parents chose the new school because his cousin (my best friend) was there for support. I liked Don immediately; I like him now.

But from the start Don made it clear he preferred being in the company of white people (more specifically, white girls). Now, I've always had way more white friends than black, but never did I purposely exclude a racial, gender, or economic group from friendship--friends are much too hard to come by. Don did it in a nice way, but still he did it. And we had no black "thugs" in my HS.

by Anonymousreply 16208/01/2013

That's an interesting anecdote R162 even though it really has no relevance to what Don Lemeon said. But you have to be careful about making judgments on who was doing the rejecting. Black people sometimes do the rejecting first especially if they feel like you're 'acting white' by the way you speak or if you have more interest in academics. This is just my observation from being someone close to Don's age who also went to school with black people who weren't 'thugs' but who didn't want to hang out with the non cool nerdy type like Don Lemon probably was.

by Anonymousreply 16308/01/2013

And of course Don would have been the only black person in his entire school ( and everywhere else) who "acted white" and was into academics.

by Anonymousreply 16408/01/2013

R163 Your argument assumes that academically successful students are all uncool, geeky or "nerdy". It is filled with stereotypes. Well- rounded students succeed in all sorts of areas outside of academics including sports. Students who succeed academically but who possess weak social skills are often labeled as geeks or nerds. Unfortunately they are often treated as outcast by everyone; again because they don't possess the social skills needed to navigate high school politics.

Also with the college enrollment numbers of black women surpassing men and woman of all races; can we please let go of this notion that black people believe academic focus equates to "acting white".

R163 You attempt to dismiss the one person here who actually knows Mr. Lemon as irrelevant. If you read the entire thread you would know that R162 "anecdote" is very relevant to the the conversation here.

Imagine if Anderson Cooper went on television and said: I agree with the comments that Pat Robinson has made about the gay community; only Robinson doesn't go far enough. The gays on DL heads would explode. GLAAD would be demanding action be taken. Anderson Cooper would be dragged out of the CNN building and lynched by the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 16508/01/2013

Well, I for one could care less whether you're black, white, red, yellow or purple for that matter. As far as I'm concerned we're all a part of one race-the human race.

by Anonymousreply 16608/01/2013

I'm a black guy who grew up in an all white neighborhood and attended a private New England boarding school where the only other black person was from Wales. I have only dated white guys because almost all of my social situations from the time I was a kid have only involved white people. I think Don has a point, but its wrong to call him out based on the guys he dates. That has nothing to do with anything.

by Anonymousreply 16708/01/2013

Don's point is idiotic. To shine a light on the symptoms of poverty and not the root cause is pathetic and idiotic. Black unemployment has been double that of whites since 1972 when the government first began tracking employment figures. Unemployment is as high as 50% in urban areas. Even when blacks and whites are the same age and education level there are significant unemployment gaps. Yet Don and right wing bigots and idiots rather talk about fashion choices and words rather than a real issue like racial inequality in the job market because it makes them feel better about themselves. And you wonder why Republicans have an abysmal record with minorities. Racial inequality should not be the norm. And I'll probably get in trouble for saying this but being born a black person doesn't make you an expert on urban social issues. Sociologists, Economists, Anthropologists, Psychologists attend years of schooling to become experts in their field. Don needs to stick to reading the news.

by Anonymousreply 16808/01/2013

Don Lemon is doing his job: reassuring white people. There certainly isn't any money in reassuring black people. His presumed martyrdom stance will only soothe whites all the more: "don't worry boss, I'm taking the heat for ya!" The non-story of "attacks" on him across social media (I.e., people on random message boards disagreeing with with him) feeds the standard storyline ("angry blacks!"). Because black people are allowed one acceptable stance now: Lemon's. Black people must tamp down even the moist minimal critique to avoid the hysterical cries of "anger!," "political correctness," etc. Mr. Lemon collects a nice check, and he wants to continue to collect it. Not really a lot to see here beyond that.

by Anonymousreply 16908/01/2013

R167 Are we to believe that you are a grown man and you have no control over your "social situations". As children we may not always have a choice about whom we socialize with. Our parents often make those choices for us. As adults we have the opportunity to consciously make those choices for ourselves. You describe yourself as a person of privilege. Certainly that economic privilege should open up a world of opportunity for you to experience the diversity of your community and many others.

There are some great responses on this thread. Unfortunately, I believe that your primary agenda is the substantiation of your choice to date outside of your race. It is perfectly acceptable for you Lemon and anybody else to isolate themselves from their own ethnic community. You're an adult and that's your choice to make. However once you've chosen to do that; your interest,love and concern for that community will be justifiably called into question.

If I told you that I'm a gay man, who doesn't associate with gay people. I don't date gay men because I'm not attracted to them. I don't befriend gays because I prefer straight friends only. I don't attend gay events because I prefer straight events only. However I'm an expert on the gay community and I'm really concerned about the gay communities issues. Would you not find that questionable.

Surely with that pricey New England boarding school education you are able to do some critical thinking here and see this from all sides.

by Anonymousreply 17008/01/2013

Proof Reading Error Correction: However I'm an expert on the gay community and I'm really concerned about the gay community's issues.

by Anonymousreply 17108/01/2013

I think part of the reason Don made these comments was because he thought O'Reiily would never expect a black person to actually agree with him. That asshole O'Reiily says stuff because he thinks black people hate him for saying it, and he gets off on it.

r170, you make some good points. But I wouldn't go as far to say that they are not concerned the the well being of other black people though. Everyone has parts of their culture that they like and don't like. It's just that in America you can pretty easily avoid parts of your culture that you don't like. That's what Don has been doing, and that's what's behind some of his comments.

Don clearly had bad experiences as a child with other black people that made him say that he preferred being around white people when he was 13 or 14. Im black and I spent my formative years in inner city schools, until high school. My family was pretty well off, so I felt out of place at times. I was bullied by thugs, especially around the time that I realized I was gay. I always fought back and I had a sharp tongue like Don. So I understand where he is coming from. But I dont think this affected my social patterns as an adult like it did for Don, at least not in my preferences of who I date. Im still attracted to all races of men, black men included. I like thugs too. Don was also molested repeatedly as a child by a male family member, so that might be a factor as well.

by Anonymousreply 17208/01/2013

Don Lemon is black, how can anyone criticize him giving his opinion about black people? It seems to me that he has more right to his opinion than all the white people who are always talking about blacks. This reminds me of the nasty way people accuse gay people of being "self-loathing" when they try and encourage other gays of living up to certain standards. He is openly gay and high profile, no one has any right to criticize him for who he dates.

I think he is an articulate, personable and warm presence on CNN. We should support him, he reflects very positively on the gay and the black community. We're so fortunate to have people like Don Lemon, Anderson Cooper and Thomas Roberts represent us on the cable news networks.

BTW: I hope Shepard Smith one day comes out of the closet. I saw a documentary where they indicated that he might be gay, too. Wouldn't it be great to be represented on CNN, MSNBC and Fox? Are there any openly gay reporters or anchors at the broadcast networks.

by Anonymousreply 17308/01/2013

R172 O'Reilly has been in a tizzy since Obama spoke briefly about the racism that still exist in this country. His response to Obama's speech was to issue a tirade on the horror of the black community. It is an attempt to shut the conversation down by demonizing the community as one big nightmarish stereotype.

I agree with you about the issue of classism being an important part of the conversation. I think that some other people here have addressed that issue but yes certainly there's a huge stigma attached to poverty in this country. Everyone in this country hates the poor; despite the explosion of poverty among the formerly middle class.

Like so many gay men growing up, I too was bullied. I was bullied by blacks and whites. Certainly,I carried around a great deal of resentment as a child. However as an adult it hasn't prevented me from socializing with or dating black or white people.

by Anonymousreply 17408/01/2013

What R143 said.

by Anonymousreply 17508/01/2013

R175 Instead of fretting over the woes of the black community, how about you first focus on learning to write a complete sentence. Your local community college has a seat in a remedial English course that they've reserved just for you.

by Anonymousreply 17608/01/2013

Great post r170.

by Anonymousreply 17708/04/2013

How do you get considered for this Uncle Tom Award?

I missed that one last year.

by Anonymousreply 17808/04/2013

Don was great on CNN the night the Trayvon decision was announced. I would rather watch him than Anthony Bourdain and their new "true crime" shows.

by Anonymousreply 17908/04/2013

I hope this is it with Don Lemon and the black community and his career never recovers. Lets see how much the white folk he's sucking up to are willing to support him.

by Anonymousreply 18008/05/2013

Don has the same problem Obama has. They both tried to be liked by two many people and in the end, no one loves them. Don has said many times he's not a democrat and respects many republican leaders, but the right hate him because he's black and gay and the left hates him because he sells out.

Thomas Roberts doesn't have these problems.

Neither does Cherry Jones for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 18108/05/2013

Oh, stop it r181. Don Lemon is no Obama and Obama is loved by half the country. Also, Don Lemon isn't intelligent enough to carry his own show like a Sharpton or MHP.

by Anonymousreply 18208/05/2013

If Lemon is whining about being hated by the right when he's one of them, then he's looking for sympathy in the wrong places. He and Larry Elder should get together.

by Anonymousreply 18308/05/2013

He is an Uncle Tom. He's a self-hating gay black man who only dates white guys that wouldn't even date him if he wasn't semi-famous and didn't have some money.

He's a joke.

by Anonymousreply 18408/06/2013

[bold]Dr. Boyce: Don Lemon is an angry White man who just happens to be Black[/bold]

[italic]... Don is a relatively well-educated, hard-working, law abiding citizen, as well as a proud gay man. He is the darling of the liberal establishment, and realized long ago that he can get rich and famous by proving to White people that he’s “different from those other people,” meaning loud mouth negroes such as myself.

Don also possesses the arrogance that comes with being a young, light-skinned Black man who’s been elevated by the legitimacy granted to leading Blacks who are accepted by White American media. CNN, MSNBC and other networks have long been in the business of creating “Black thought leaders” by simply giving them a large platform to serve as mouth pieces for an agenda that has typically left us at the back of the bus... [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 18508/06/2013

Lemon may wish he kept his yap shut. Now no black people will take him seriously as an arbiter of conversations on race.

by Anonymousreply 18608/06/2013

lol at all the black bloggers bashing Don. They really cannot take any criticism at all....

by Anonymousreply 18708/06/2013

r17 Perfect post. This is equivalent to someone saying women can't wear short or tight clothing, less they are responsible for there harassment.

by Anonymousreply 18808/06/2013

Don Lemon is an embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 18908/06/2013

What R187 said.

by Anonymousreply 19008/06/2013

r22 Wearing baggy clothing and speaking in slang doesn't make one a thug. A thug is one that actually engages in illegal behavior. Lots of white male teens also wear baggy clothing, and they are never hunted down and harassed for it.

I suppose gay white men should avoid speaking and dressing in a certain way to avoid harassment from homophobes??

by Anonymousreply 19108/06/2013

I can't stop laughing at the fool who says ebonics is a legitimate dialect. Is this real life?

by Anonymousreply 19208/06/2013

Everything said about him being an embarrassment to black people; being used as a vehicle for white criticism of blacks; and being stupid and self-loathing in his support of Bill O'Riley's brand of racism is true. May he fade into oblivion. He brought all this derision on himself.

by Anonymousreply 19308/06/2013

Can't stand this little self-loathing queen. I bet he's never been with a black guy once.

by Anonymousreply 19408/06/2013

No, not what R187 said, R190. Why should black people have to take criticism? And what makes Don Lemon or anyone else an arbiter in black anything?

What's really disgusting is that you think 'black people', as if we are all one and the same, need criticism. Why don't you and Don get together and talk about real issues involving real people, since you seem moved to concern.

by Anonymousreply 19508/06/2013

r127 Exactly...

by Anonymousreply 19608/06/2013

r136 the JFK line had me on the floor. Great post.

by Anonymousreply 19708/06/2013

r140 I would also add that although there are higher rates of crime among black people, the reason why they are more likely to be in prison is because police over policy black areas and blacks are given heavier sentences.

by Anonymousreply 19808/06/2013

r148 Good example with the zoot suits. The truth is that anything that is associated with black people will be demonized(sic) even if it is fancy and dressy.

Black men tomorrow could all wear tuxedos tomorrow, but that wouldn't stop white police officers from stopping them for a routine drug bust or crazy mixed raced Florida residents from "accidentally" shooting them(or out of self defense).

by Anonymousreply 19908/06/2013

And black hairstyles are often considered 'threatening'. Afro's and locks are considered a no-no in the corporate world and black women have been forced to wear straightened white looks if they wish to get ahead. Can you imagine the outrage if Michelle Obama decided to grow her hair out natural?

by Anonymousreply 20008/07/2013

If your not antagonizing the white population and if you say things that black people want to keep among black people you are looked at like a traitor among black people. Don said some things that many black people say in black company.

Black women wear straight hair wigs or straighten their natural hair because they want to. Madam C.J. Walker, a black woman, invented a method to soften and straight black hair.

by Anonymousreply 20108/07/2013

[quote]Black women wear straight hair wigs or straighten their natural hair because they want to.

And of course NO white people straighten their hair or wear straight hair weaves (rolling eyes).

Dolly Parton, Cher, Shitney, Gaga, Taylor Swift, Kim Kardashian, Lindsay Hohan, Nicole Kidman, Joan Rivers, Jessica Simpson...want me to continue?

by Anonymousreply 20208/07/2013

R202 I mentioned that because other posters suggested black women wore straight hair wigs because they were forced to by white people.

by Anonymousreply 20308/07/2013

Why all the racial threads?

by Anonymousreply 20408/07/2013

Yes, r203. Afros and dreadlocks are considered threatening by white folk and black women are required to wear their hair straight, hence the multi-million dollar market for weaves and relaxers. You think these hairstyles scare other black folk?

by Anonymousreply 20508/07/2013

R205 No, it's about what black people want. Black women want the soft, straight hair that blows in the wind. Black women prefer that look compared to their natural hair.

by Anonymousreply 20608/07/2013

Wrong r206. This famous cover played on white people's fears about militant black women.

by Anonymousreply 20708/07/2013

Don said NOTHING wrong. Get an education?

Stay in school?

Don't litter?

Pull up your saggy pants?

Stop having kids without any means of supporting them?

All of that is great advice for anyone!!!

by Anonymousreply 20808/07/2013

Not one person is forcing a black woman to have a weave. No one told Beyonce to have blonde hair. It's a matter of choice. I've worked for black women with bald head and afros and that's in the corporate world so I don't see that affecting employment.

Yes maybe black women want to conform to some stereotype of beauty. But so do white women, who also wear weaves, and any color women. Women are complicated and maybe too complicated a topic for gay men to take on.

by Anonymousreply 20908/07/2013

he's probably a member of GOProud too.

by Anonymousreply 21008/07/2013

next he'll be doing a segment on outrageous costumes at pride parades and how that kind of thing is an embarrassment to us all.

by Anonymousreply 21108/07/2013

[quote]Don has the same problem Obama has. They both tried to be liked by two many people and in the end, no one loves them.

If you knew Don's track record in news, you'd know that he is not trying to kiss anyone's ass or be liked by anyone. He actually got suspended in a few markets back in the early 2000s because he got very feisty with producers when they started to tell him the issues he wanted to cover on air (issues related to black viewers and gay viewers, shock!) were too controversial. Don has always marched to beat of his own drum, if you cant tell by his reporting. He has even dissed CNN while on the air, and he also called them out in his book when they took him off the air in the middle of his shift when bin Laden was assassinated. But they hired him for this very reason, he speaks his mind.

r185, Dr. Boyce also seems to be a bit ignorant of Don's history when he goes on about Don ignoring issues related to the black community. Dr. Boyce's career is largely based on "crabs in the barrel" syndrome, the same syndrome that a lot of you are exhibiting in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 21208/07/2013

Obviously the race baiting troll is off his meds and he is very busy on DL today. Why are we even still talking about this.

R185 No one here is begrudging Don Lemon's success. I don't agree with him or anyone else 100% of the time and it is my right to express my disagreement. Mr. Lemon expressed his opinions and I have expressed mine. It has nothing to do with "crabs in a barrel"; no more so than your rejection of my criticism does.

by Anonymousreply 21308/07/2013

There's nothing wrong with Don Lemon speaking his mind and giving his opinion. I get tired of the group speak where everyone must make sure their talking points match each other.

What's funny is on every single article where some black leader is giving hell to Don Lemon you'll see a lot of the comments from the black people living in the communities he's talking about saying he has a point.

As someone else commented Don Lemon said the things in public that many black people say in private but now he's getting punished for it.

by Anonymousreply 21408/07/2013

R214 Clearly you didn't read the thread and now you want to have a conversation that's already been had over and over again here. Please read all of the thread before you make assumptions.

by Anonymousreply 21508/07/2013

[quote]I don't agree with him or anyone else 100% of the time and it is my right to express my disagreement.

r213, I never said you didn't have a right to express your opinion. Its just that sometimes you it's good to base your opinions of someone when you know more about them. A lot of people commenting here don't know much about Don outside of his reporting, besides that he has publicly dated white men, and maybe that he was sexually abused as a child. That is just not enough info for some of you to make the comments that Ive read here. But that's just my opinion.

And I also have the feeling that if it was TJ Holmes, Ed Gordon, or Al Roker saying this, you guys wouldn't even take issue with it. Some of you only have a problem because Don likes dick like you do.

I could be wrong, but that's just my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 21608/07/2013

R216 I think the real issues with Mr. Lemon's comments have been pretty clearly articulated here; at least for anyone who takes the time to read the entire thread. Your attempt to reduce this to a case of gay homophobia is really absurd.

by Anonymousreply 21708/07/2013

[quote]now you want to have a conversation that's already been had over and over again here

Funny how you had nothing to say when people have posted Don Lemon is an uncle tom ad nauseam. That being said over & over & over again on here, that totally repetitive conversation didn't bother you one bit. You don't have a problem with having the same conversations you have a problem with different opinions than yours. That says a lot about why you're so up in arms over Don Lemon.

by Anonymousreply 21808/07/2013

[quote]Your attempt to reduce this to a case of gay homophobia is really absurd.

r217, it is not that absurd. I see this kind of behavior on DL a lot.

by Anonymousreply 21908/07/2013

You missed the point, entirely, R218. Since you need help; the outrage stems from Don's (and everyone who agrees with him) misplaced criticism. The problem with Don and his supporters is that they want to see ALL black people as little children who need to be disciplined and set right. Of course, Don has all the answers, how convenient.

Never mind that, as has been pointed out in this very thread, these problems are specific to a class -- the poor -- and NOT a race -- in this case, black people.

by Anonymousreply 22008/07/2013

You're helping matters, R221. Way to go!

by Anonymousreply 22208/07/2013

If he wants to up to date with what he calls himself he should refer to himself and Uncle Rukus.

by Anonymousreply 22308/07/2013

R218 Actually in my initial comment today I stated and I quote: "why are we still talking about this?" At this point; I have nothing new to add to this conversation and I'm not looking to rehash what I've already said. My point of view is pretty clearly stated. Therefore, I have already established why I'm "so up in arms with Mr. Lemon". There is no need to draw your conclusions from your own speculation.

I'm all for the continuation of the conversation if someone has something new to add. You however are not adding anything new to the conversation. You're repeating what has already been said 20 times; leaving me to question if you actually read the thread.

R219 As I mentioned before the real issues at hand with Mr. Lemon's commentary have been more than sufficiently addressed here. It is absurd to try to reduce the conversation to a matter of gay homophobia.

Either way this conversation is so last week. Mr. Lemon had his 15 minutes. Most people have moved on now. I'm sure to Mr. Lemon's bitter disappointment no ones thinking about him.

by Anonymousreply 22408/07/2013

I love that show, but yeah.

by Anonymousreply 22508/07/2013

That should have been "if he wants to be up to date he should refer to himself as Uncle Rukus."

by Anonymousreply 22608/07/2013

Me and 225 waiting for season 4.

Or has it started already?

by Anonymousreply 22708/07/2013

Me too R221. Entitled white queens turn my stomach.

by Anonymousreply 22808/07/2013

Don should start doing whiteface.

by Anonymousreply 22908/07/2013

Nothing sadder than a black man yearning for white approval like Don Lemon. He's over before he happened.

by Anonymousreply 23008/07/2013

I think he realises he fucked up and is laying low for now.

by Anonymousreply 23108/08/2013

Why don't you guys just say why you really don't like Don?

by Anonymousreply 23208/08/2013

Not me R232 - I think he is FABULOUS; this "No Talking Points" segment endeared him to me EVEN MORE. It was so brave - Oprah, Michelle Obama, Beyonce would never do this for fear of alienating their audience.

by Anonymousreply 23308/08/2013

we have, R232: he is a self-hating black man. probably mocks other gay men for being "so gay".

by Anonymousreply 23408/08/2013

It wasn't brave, R233. He doesn't have an audience to alienate...

by Anonymousreply 23508/08/2013

[quote]Ebonics is a legitimate dialect.

Oh, brother.

Talk about the "soft bigotry of low expectations."

by Anonymousreply 23608/08/2013

R236 Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the definition of dialect.

Definition of DIALECT a : a regional variety of language distinguished by features of vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation from other regional varieties and constituting together with them a single language (the Doric dialect of ancient Greek) b : one of two or more cognate languages (French and Italian are Romance dialects) c : a variety of a language used by the members of a group (such dialects as politics and advertising — Philip Howard) d : a variety of language whose identity is fixed by a factor other than geography (as social class) (spoke a rough peasant dialect)

by Anonymousreply 23708/08/2013

White Americans may be dismissive of Ebonics, but it is highly admired and imitated by English speakers worldwide including middle class kids in England. African Americans culture is the most imitated and copied culture in the world.

by Anonymousreply 23808/08/2013

Is Lemon still reclaiming 'Uncle Tom'?

by Anonymousreply 23908/09/2013

Is he still laying low?

by Anonymousreply 24010/12/2013

It's a complex problem and Boyce makes many logical observations. He seems to believe everything slanted against the black community abrogates any requirement for self responsibility in the areas of your life you can control. You'd wait a long time for nirvana.

by Anonymousreply 24110/12/2013

Cornball Negro Don Lemon may have gone to far this time with his tweet about Adrian Peterson who's son got beaten to death.

by Anonymousreply 24210/19/2013

Gets chastised by Soledad O'Brien

by Anonymousreply 24310/19/2013

Twitter backlash

by Anonymousreply 24410/19/2013

The Uncle Tom crown has moved on to Thomas Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 24510/19/2013

I really, really hate this guy.

by Anonymousreply 24610/19/2013

He and Anderson need to go over to Fox News were they belong. Nothing worse than a Log Cabin Queen.

by Anonymousreply 24710/19/2013

What is really sad the fact that white teens are emulating the black thug appearance. Sagging pants, the constant use of profanity, and when they are not f-ing everything, a very limited vocabulary. Within the black community, if a black student tries to excel, he/she are accused of "acting white." Blacks are the true racists.

by Anonymousreply 24810/19/2013

r248, please run back to 1994 where you belong, thanks

by Anonymousreply 24910/20/2013

[quote]He and Anderson need to go over to Fox News were they belong. Nothing worse than a Log Cabin Queen.

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 25010/20/2013

Fox News is a BIG FAN on Lemon's!

CNN’s Don Lemon has some big fans over at Fox News. Thursday afternoon, The Five’s hosts took some time to applaud Lemon for the way he grilled DNC chairwoman Debbie Wasserman-Schultz last night on OutFront.

Eric Bolling praised Lemon for asking Wasserman-Schultz a “very, very good question” and called the entire interview “fantastic.”

During his interview, which mainly focused on New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie‘s bridge scandal, Lemon asked Wasserman-Schultz what the “difference” is between Christie claiming not to know about his aides’ plans disrupt traffic to exact political retribution and President Barack Obama claiming not to know about issues surrounding the NSA and Obamacare.

“It’s good to see the media waking up from hibernation over these outrageous scandals,” Greg Gutfeld said. “It’s about time.”

Kimberly Guilfoyle went even further with her praise of Lemon, saying, “I thought it was great questioning. I thought I was watching Fox News for a second there, and then I rubbed my eyes.” She said more journalists should be like Lemon: “Ask the pointed questions, be a journalist, do your job.”

by Anonymousreply 25101/11/2014

Except that Christie fired a staffer for lying to him, and two others resigned over this scandal.

Christie's old high school buddy has signaled he'll talk to legislators in exchange for immunity.

Lawsuits are popping up all over the place.

Who committed political retribution on behalf of the president? Who has been forced to resign, and who has been fired?

What political retribution has Obama ordered and then lied about knowing?

Because progressive organizations were ALSO investigated by the IRS, and even FINED.

What the irs did was routine.

by Anonymousreply 25201/11/2014

Who is this Don Lemon person?

by Anonymousreply 25301/11/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!