Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Any suggestions for what to do in Iceland?

Or any of the 'Nordic' (not just Scandinavian) countries? I know we have some people posting from cities like Bergen, Stockholm, etc.

What key things would you suggest for a visitor to do?

by thanksreply 2107/31/2013

Play a rousing game of "Hide the Kipper!"

Use pickled herring if your visitors are déclassé.

by thanksreply 107/29/2013

I'd love to try one of the geothermal hottubs. Maybe you can, and tell us what it's like?

by thanksreply 207/29/2013

I was in Iceland not too long ago. It's a nice place to drive around as the scenery is spectacular. It's worth picking up a car and driving around the island. Reykjavik is very relaxed.

It's an expensive country, though, and the people aren't that friendly, by and large.

by thanksreply 307/29/2013

Visit the baths.

by thanksreply 407/29/2013

How long were you there, R3?

by thanksreply 507/30/2013

Don't come here. You wouldn't understand us

by thanksreply 607/30/2013

I pretty much agree with R3. The scenery is unforgettable; however, there just isn't much to do after the sun goes down. You can get drunk like the locals do but I didn't find them especially outgoing or welcoming.

VERY expensive.

by thanksreply 707/30/2013

Weather dodgy. Water often cold.

Matter of taste. People v. tall here. Summer almost over. Sunset several minutes different every eve.

Clean environment, unlike US, a priority.

Social conscience more developed than US. Nazis rising last few years. Left in at fall polls in Sverige, out in Norge, likely.

Sweet and salt. White sauces. Brown sauces. Old fashioned farm food still eaten. Macerated guts, beets, head cheese (brain cold cuts), blood pudding.

by thanksreply 807/30/2013

Masturbate, quietly, sadly and alone, occurs to me as the obvious answer.

by thanksreply 907/30/2013

Hvao segiru?

by thanksreply 1007/30/2013

[quote]isn't much to do after the sun goes down.

In summer, you don't have to deal with that.

by thanksreply 1107/30/2013

You can stalk Game of Thrones set. And then post pictures.

by thanksreply 1207/30/2013

[quote]the people aren't that friendly, by and large.

They're not friendly in the fake, insincere way that Americans are used to. "Hey y'all! How're y'all doin' today y'all? Y'all want some pie y'all?""

No, rather, they are reserved, like most Nordic folk. A little frosty to strangers on the surface but perfectly friendly and warm once you get to know them. I prefer that. It's genuine.

by thanksreply 1307/30/2013

LOL! [quote] Y'all want some pie y'all

by thanksreply 1407/30/2013

I was there for two weeks.

I'm not American, but am well aware of "artificial" American friendliness. Nobody likes fakery, but I do think it's nice to be greeted with a welcoming smile, which didn't happen at any of the places I stayed in Iceland, which I thought was really strange in the service industry. Cafes and restaurants were not much better.

I definitely don't think there's anything wrong with the general Icelandic persona, but it's certainly not like other countries around the world where locals take an interest in you and are very welcoming, particularly in hotels, restaurants etc.

There were plenty of hitchhikers - I imagine that they probably connect with some really interesting and friendly locals, if you're confident to travel that way.

by thanksreply 1507/30/2013

When in Iceland, do as the locals, drink until drunk

by thanksreply 1607/30/2013

There is a slight sulfuric smell to the water because it's heated geothermically. You'll notice it when you take a shower.

by thanksreply 1707/30/2013

Be sure to try some selshreifar. It's seal flipper cured in lactic acid.

by thanksreply 1807/30/2013

I lived in Finland as a child. If you can, visit the Aland islands which are found between Finland and Sweden. The ferry ride over is a couple of hours. Once there, the islands are beautiful to explore, with the ocean never being far off. Almost all of the people you encounter will speak English as they learn it early in school.

by thanksreply 1907/30/2013

[quote] it's seal flipper cured in lactic acid.

Mmm. Sounds delish. Don't forget to try these while in NY.

by thanksreply 2007/30/2013

Ask Alexander Skarsgard.

by thanksreply 2107/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!