Since 1995

So are we boycotting the Olympics?

We better be.

by Anonymousreply 1308/01/2013

50 bucks says we won't.

by Anonymousreply 107/29/2013

Have at it!

by Anonymousreply 207/29/2013

Human rights versus economics....economics wins 100% of the time. No boycott will happen no matter how many petitions are received. Not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 307/29/2013

That's may be true, in part r3, however with enough boycott petitions and signatures, it will bring a level of awareness to this heinous human rights violation.

by Anonymousreply 407/29/2013

You mean not have our athletes attend? No. You mean my friends and I not watching or supporting their sponsors? Yes.

by Anonymousreply 507/29/2013

Sadly, there is too much money to be made.

Ugh. Human rights will have to wait (again)...

by Anonymousreply 607/29/2013

Though it's doubtfuly we could get a boycott, we certainly can push sponsors to pull away from NBC coverage.

by Anonymousreply 707/29/2013

Advertisers tend to stay away from controversy. Considering many older Americans still associate Russia with the evils of Communism and atheism, as well as massive corruption, I can easily see the type of companies that sponsor "all-American" sports competitions not wanting to be identified with anything perceived as at all negative.

Now since celebs normally book their Olympic vacations well in advance, especially for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, when will their financial impact of a possible boycott register with Russian tourism? Will Russian officials block A-listers' movies that would be normally shown in Russia in return?

by Anonymousreply 807/29/2013

If we boycott the Olympics, it just proves that Obama really is Jimmy Carter reincarnated. And that worked out so well for us last time.

by Anonymousreply 1107/31/2013

Obama is meeting Putin next month. A discussion on their homophobic laws and the killing of gays needs to be part of that meeting.

by Anonymousreply 1308/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!