Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does Anyone Actually Buy TV Guide Anymore?

How is this publication still around?

by Anonymousreply 3107/31/2013

I stopped buying it when it went to the larger format. i HATED the new set-up. All those charts and boxes, BAH! and no real info on the shows I wanted to see. A pox on their house.

by Anonymousreply 107/29/2013

We get it free at work...so yes, it is still published

by Anonymousreply 207/29/2013

At one point TV Guide was the number one selling weekly magazine in the country.

by Anonymousreply 307/29/2013

Because it was necessary, r3

by Anonymousreply 407/29/2013

R4. Reader's Digest was also the biggest-selling magazine for years--and it wasn't the biggest because it was necessary.

TV Guide wasn't necessary either. There were plenty of newspapers who featured a TV page with all the listings. TV Guide was helpful and filled a niche.

by Anonymousreply 507/29/2013

I just look at it online when I need to.

by Anonymousreply 607/29/2013

Zap2It.com is so much better than TV Guide could ever hope to be

by Anonymousreply 707/29/2013

There are still people alive who use it. They'll all be dead within 10-20 years and The Guide will be kaput.

by Anonymousreply 807/29/2013

[italic]TV Guide[/italic] made Walter Annenberg very rich.

by Anonymousreply 907/29/2013

What r8 said. TVGuide will be going the way of newspapers once the oldsters kick off in another decade or so.

by Anonymousreply 1007/29/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1107/29/2013

[quote]I stopped buying it when it went to the larger format. i HATED the new set-up. All those charts and boxes, BAH! and no real info on the shows I wanted to see.

Same here. That plus the fact that the program guides on the cable and satellite systems finally improved to something useful spelled the beginning of the end of the once great resource.

by Anonymousreply 1207/29/2013

I haven't looked at it in years and also stopped when they switched to the large magazine format. I used to always look forward to the Fall TV Preview issue but even that is just a shadow of what it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 1307/29/2013

My father went food shopping on Friday nights. (He wouldn't allow my mother to spend his money, hence he did the grocery shopping) he would bring home the TV Guide and my sister and I would fight over who got it first.

by Anonymousreply 1407/29/2013

I do.

by Anonymousreply 1507/29/2013

It's like Reader's Digest.

It's read only by (a) people over 55 or (b) people in need of something to read as they are taking a shit.

by Anonymousreply 1607/29/2013

They've got a web presence with interviews and articles and a regular column not in print from Matt Rouse, the resident critic, who is actually a decent critic and I think is also family. So when the print edition does go bye bye, there'll still be a TV Guide.

by Anonymousreply 1707/29/2013

Hey Frank:

Did you ever find your missing issue, the one with Al Roker on the cover.

by Anonymousreply 1807/29/2013

Didn't Reader's Digest just file for bankruptcy?

by Anonymousreply 1907/29/2013

[quote] They've got a web presence with interviews and articles and a regular column not in print from Matt Rouse, the resident critic, who is actually a decent critic and I think is also family.

They also have a soap column from Michael Logan, who is about 100 years old, also "family" (I think most male TV writers are) and still has a 1980s era perm hairdo.

by Anonymousreply 2007/29/2013

I hate them for eating up jumptheshark.com as a quick source for page hits and not even doing anything with the format. Of course, they can't bite the hand that feeds. Don't blame the site owner, good on him for making some money off it.

by Anonymousreply 2207/29/2013

There's a blog that posted great TV Guide Fall Preview editions, with some scans of the pages. I must have killed 2-3 hours one afternoon reading up on all the old premieres.

Check it out at the link.

by Anonymousreply 2307/30/2013

R23 Just reading those...very fun.

Boy, Mark Harmon was pretty in those days.

by Anonymousreply 2407/31/2013

As a kid I loved TV Guide. The yellow pages in the back that listed all the movies for the week and the crossword were my favorite sections. Stopped buying it years ago and only glanced at it a few times on the check out when it went to a more magazine size. It is like any other "pop" rag now.

by Anonymousreply 2507/31/2013

TVGuide.com still uses reviews they made back in the 60s. I always bought the weekly TV Guide back then. It was only 15 cents and well worth part of my allowance.

by Anonymousreply 2607/31/2013

Thanks R23. Delightful walk down memory lane. I was a teen in the 80s. The annual fall preview was met with great anticipation by us couch potatoes! So funny to see the shows that made it and the ones that didn't.

by Anonymousreply 2707/31/2013

Obviously the magazine as we knew it could not handle the number of channels we now have. The magazine would be 1000 pages. It used to be a big deal in the fall to see not only what the new shows were, but also to see the new schedule for syndicated reruns on the local UHF stations..M*A*S*H is on at 7:30, and Happy Days at 6:00!

by Anonymousreply 2807/31/2013

my partner got a subscription for me.

don't read it for the TV listings, but I do pick it up now and then for the features - great piece on Breaking Bad in the last issue.

It's just like a poor relative of Entertainment Weekly.

by Anonymousreply 2907/31/2013

When they went to the large format, they stopped printing regional issues, so there are no more listings for local stations. So if something's not on one of the national networks, you wont' find it in TV Guide anymore.

However, I read it just for my sweetie's recipes featured in each edition.

by Anonymousreply 3007/31/2013

I didn't know it was still published. My grandparents always had a subscription and that's the only place I ever saw it - and they've been dead for 20 years. We always used the weekly guide out of the Sunday paper.

by Anonymousreply 3107/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.