Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

If this theory is correct, we may live in a web of alternate universes

When I read the article, I was freaked out. It basically states that there are millions of us. Every event in our lives have probabilities for different outcomes.

The Many World's Interpretation theory states that there are separate universe for each outcome to play out, which would mean somewhere in an alternate universe there would be a you that is opposite of you.

I don't buy it, because it has not been proven, but it unsettles me, regardless.

by Anonymousreply 2807/31/2013

This is what happens when dumb people take up physics.

Quantum Theory is not RANDOM. Indeed, the quanta itself is evidence of non-randomness. Problems of measurement do not imply the ontological horror that would lead to an idea of all possible universes happening at the same time.

But if the latter were true it would have NO implications for human subjectivity, since only the existence we all share together would be relevant to us.

by Anonymousreply 107/28/2013

Wow R1. Preach!

This sounds very similar to the Seth books of the 70s where it was posited that we each are somehow subconsciously and individually tasked with holding the universe in place.

by Anonymousreply 207/28/2013

R2 But it makes me a little hard to read something all sciency from a gay guy.

by Anonymousreply 307/28/2013

Do you believe in linear time and object permanence?

by Anonymousreply 407/28/2013

Do you believe in linear time and object permanence? Part 2. A bit of a classic thread preserved on a blog.

by Anonymousreply 507/28/2013

"do not imply the ontological horror"

Horror is subjective. While I do not disagree with you on the physics, I don't see anything truly terrible about everything happening at once. It might be kind of thrilling, actually.

by Anonymousreply 607/28/2013

[quote]Quantum Theory is not RANDOM. Indeed, the quanta itself is evidence of non-randomness. Problems of measurement do not imply the ontological horror that would lead to an idea of all possible universes happening at the same time. But if the latter were true it would have NO implications for human subjectivity, since only the existence we all share together would be relevant to us.

OK now, I'm going to watch Honey Boo Boo now.

by Anonymousreply 707/28/2013

R7, is that a new boo boo show or reruns. Thanks ever so much

by Anonymousreply 807/28/2013

Does this mean I still have to go to work tomorrow?

by Anonymousreply 907/28/2013

It is rather disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 1007/28/2013

I find the idea of infinite, possibly (probably) causally disconnected me's comforting.

by Anonymousreply 1107/28/2013

It is impossible because the outcome of every decision is infinite and tied to the decision of every other person.

by Anonymousreply 1207/28/2013

My favorite ontological hypothesis comes from MIT professor Max Tegmark.

by Anonymousreply 1307/28/2013

Could make a cool movie.

by Anonymousreply 1407/28/2013

I hope there is a me in other universes handling live much better than I'm doing here. I wonder if my family is alive in other universes.

by Anonymousreply 1507/28/2013

The thing about infinity is there's always room for more

by Anonymousreply 1607/28/2013

So there's a universe where Datalounge is still witty?

by Anonymousreply 1707/28/2013

The universe where you don't give in to your catty sniping at everyone, allowing them the self-esteem to try new things R17.

by Anonymousreply 1807/28/2013

The multiple universe theory is sound quantum reasoning. It doesn't entertain subjectivity because if the theory is valid there is ONLY subjectivity.

by Anonymousreply 1907/29/2013

It's a flawed concept since time is an artificial construct of a three-dimensional existence. The implication of many different universes is there are many dimensions which cannot be measured by traditional theories, none of which apply to our human experience.

by Anonymousreply 2107/29/2013

the theory is only understandable when you understand time [as we experience it] is only a construct. Time and space as we experience them are a unique neurological perspective, not an absolute one.

by Anonymousreply 2207/29/2013

I hope and pray it's true. Perhaps then my life turned out better in another universe than it did on this one (crippled by an FDA-approved antibiotic...Cipro).

by Anonymousreply 2307/29/2013

That means that somewhere OP,you are straight.

by Anonymousreply 2407/29/2013

Reading Michael Crichton's Timeline, and that's the underlying science that forms the basis for the plot.

by Anonymousreply 2507/29/2013

How is another me leading a different life in a different universe relevant to me in this life.

Celine Dion has more meaning in this life than any other possible versions of me as they cannot affect this life in any way (unlike having to endure another hearing of 'My heart will go on').

by Anonymousreply 2607/29/2013

I find everything we're going to discover in the next 200-300 years scary. Note that just about everything "known" in ~1800 turned out to be way off, and things like Ferrari's and the Internet surely would have been uncomfortable for them.

by Anonymousreply 2707/31/2013

"I will fuck anything that has a small patch of fairly intact skin. I will spear an alien head right through its eyes with my firm, pointy manhood."

- John Fitzgerald Kennedy

by Anonymousreply 2807/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.