Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Janet Jackson's first #1 hit "When I Think of You" turns 27 today

It made her and Michael the only siblings to achieve a Hot 100 #1, and it also made her the youngest artist since Stevie Wonder to top the Hot 100.

by Anonymousreply 20708/05/2013

The music video for the single was one of the first one-take music video clips. Directed by filmmaker Julien Temple, it was shot on one of the old MGM studio sets and featured choreography by Paula Abdul and legendary choreographer Michael Kidd. The clip is similar to the opening sequence of Temple's film "Absolute Beginners".

Swedish pop star Robyn once covered the song in concert.

by Anonymousreply 207/28/2013

She's also married to a raped woman firing billionaire. Kudos!

by Anonymousreply 507/28/2013

Classic song from the 80s. Janet has two nephews in the video, Taj and TJ I think.

by Anonymousreply 707/28/2013

Yeah, they're at the beginning. Paula is in the video too.

by Anonymousreply 807/28/2013

Hi, Janbot!

by Anonymousreply 907/28/2013

Time to take the pathetic bitch at R10 to school.

[quote]She continued making flop album after flop album.

No, honey. DAMITA JO and 20 YO hit platinum status and Discipline was her 6th #1 album. No one sells albums like they used to. If you weren't so fucking stupid, you'd know this.

[quote]Her book was #1 on the Hardcover Advice and Misc. section for one week

Bullshit. It was #1 on the NY Times Bestselling list, period. Doesn't matter if it was only for a week. I'm sure you read my post and went for some hardfact checking on Google just to prove some sort of Janet-hating point, but it didn't work.

[quote]She was in a couple of Tyler Perry movies. Tyler Perry movies are successful regardless of who's in them.

Not so. His last movie had Kim K. in it, and it basically flopped. His films that had Janet in them put her fanbase in the seats, which helped the first one she was in debut at #1 at the US box office. So fuck you.

[quote]her husband doesn't appear on any billionaire list. Forbes even pointed this out, speculating that he isn't actually a billionaire.

Forbes doesn't know anything about Wissam Al Mana, a Qatari-born retail entrepreneur. He has a net-worth of over $1 billion. And you were saying?

[quote]Her "world tour" touring venues the size of high school gymnasiums.

That same tired, lame-ass line. Save it, sweetie. Her world tour was sold out without the benefit of a new album behind it. Does this look like a high school gymnasium to you?

by Anonymousreply 1207/28/2013

Janet was really good. Thanks for the reminder.

by Anonymousreply 1307/29/2013

[quote]DAMITA JO and 20 YO hit platinum status and Discipline was her 6th #1 album. No one sells albums like they used to.

Uh, no, honey. You obviously haven't done your research outside of Wikipedia. You don't understand how the industry works.

[quote]Bullshit. It was #1 on the NY Times Bestselling list, period. Doesn't matter if it was only for a week. I'm sure you read my post and went for some hardfact checking on Google just to prove some sort of Janet-hating point, but it didn't work.

No, again, honey. She made it to #1 on a list that gets you to #1 by selling about ten copies, and she only managed to stay on that chart for a week. Nice try.

[quote]Forbes doesn't know anything about Wissam Al Mana, a Qatari-born retail entrepreneur. He has a net-worth of over $1 billion. And you were saying?

He doesn't make any world list. He's not a billionaire. It's total bullshit, and they, and other publications, have pointed this out. Where are the receipts? There aren't any.

[quote]Not so. His last movie had Kim K. in it, and it basically flopped. His films that had Janet in them put her fanbase in the seats

Janet's got about 20 fans remaining, and you're part of that bunch.

[quote]Does this look like a high school gymnasium to you?

Honey, let's see the venue's seating capacity. We'll wait.

Get over it. She's done! She hasn't had a hit since 2001. No one wants her except Weight Watchers.

by Anonymousreply 1407/29/2013

[quote]Uh, no, honey. You obviously haven't done your research outside of Wikipedia. You don't understand how the industry works.

Nice try, bitch, but the fact remains that no one sells albums the way they used to. The other fact is that DAMITA JO is triple platinum worldwide, 20 YO is just over platinum worldwide, and DISCIPLINE debuted at #1, despite the shitty promotion from Island Def Jam.

[quote]No, again, honey. She made it to #1 on a list that gets you to #1 by selling about ten copies

So what is it, 5 or 10 copies to make it to #1? You can't seem to make up your mind. Take your hating, non-informed ass somewhere and have a damn seat.

[quote]He doesn't make any world list. He's not a billionaire.

And you know this how, exactly? Some facts:

Wissam Al Mana built his net worth as managing director of the Al Mana Retail Group. He is one of the richest retail investors in the Middle East. Wissam is a shareholder in the Saks Fifth Avenue stores in Dubai, Doha, Bahrain and Kuwait. He also runs The Al Mana Luxury Company with his three brothers. The Al Mana Luxury Company represents luxury brands such as A/X Armani Exchange, Hermes, Giorgio Armani, Roberto Cavalli and Balenciaga throughout the world. Armani announced that a flagship A/X Exchange will open in Qatar's Villagio Shopping Mall. He has a net worth of over $1 billion.

There are your fucking receipts.

[quote]Honey, let's see the venue's seating capacity. We'll wait.

Fuck you. It's the Yas Arena in Abu Dhabi. If you want the seating capacity, go Google it yourself.

[quote]Janet's got about 20 fans remaining

Oh really...?

by Anonymousreply 1507/29/2013

NO ONE FUCKING REMEMBERS JANICE JACKSON,JANBOT. AND THEY CERTAINLY CAN'T HUM THIS SONG FROM THE IRON AGE.

by Anonymousreply 1607/29/2013

JANBOT feels it necessary to quote this most ridiculous statistic of Jackson because she feels Madonna is getting way too much positive posts on DataLounge lately.

27th anniversary, Indeed! How laughable is that?

by Anonymousreply 1707/29/2013

This week is 34th anniversary of Janet Jackson's abandoning of her only child to someone else to raise. Fucking whore.

by Anonymousreply 1807/29/2013

I really would love to see what janbot looks like. She should have her own Youtube channel where she has nervous breakdowns over people slamming Tranet. We need a good telling off! We need sum [italic]discipline[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 1907/29/2013

Happy 30th birthday to her nose, happy 20th to her tits.

by Anonymousreply 2007/29/2013

This is a nice song. so catchy!

by Anonymousreply 2107/30/2013

27 years ago; but how many pounds ao?

by Anonymousreply 2207/30/2013

w&w for r20!

by Anonymousreply 2307/30/2013

[quote]Janet has two nephews in the video, Taj and TJ I think.

This is one of them

by Anonymousreply 2407/30/2013

TJ is the gorgeous one who sadly was WhoreTrashian's first famous black guy.

by Anonymousreply 2507/30/2013

Janet?

She's Michael's little sister, right?

She's a singer?

by Anonymousreply 2607/30/2013

[quote]JANBOT feels it necessary to quote this most ridiculous statistic of Jackson because she feels Madonna is getting way too much positive posts on DataLounge lately.

That HAG? That decrepit old bitch couldn't shine Janet's Louboutins. And what positive posts? The only thing I've seen Madonna-related are various people calling her what she is--a washed-up old bag who dresses and acts as if she's 30 years younger than her 60 years.

[quote]27th anniversary, Indeed! How laughable is that?

Laughable??? Bitch, please. What have YOU done lately, Mr. Nobody? Nothing? That's what I thought. Anyway, the 20th anniversary of the landmark "janet." album was earlier this year, but I didn't need to post that to Datalounge, because BILLBOARD MAGAZINE did a whole spread on it. But, I digress...

[quote]NO ONE FUCKING REMEMBERS JANICE JACKSON, JANBOT. AND THEY CERTAINLY CAN'T HUM THIS SONG FROM THE IRON AGE.

No one remembers her? Really? Is that why everyone from Rihanna to Britney gives her props at every turn? Is that why her songs are STILL sampled and remade? Go back to your nursing home, Granny. "When I Think of You" is a classic '80s pop/R&B track. And check the Robyn cover upthread for just one bit of proof that the song is not only still remembered, but hummable AND coverable.

by Anonymousreply 2707/30/2013

JANBOT, please continue to ask and answer your own questions because it is tres amusant.

It is not often we get a chance to meet a genuine, bonefinde, certifiably psycho up close like this and it is very entertaining.

So would you give us at least 10 more posts where you ask and answer your own questions?

Please?

by Anonymousreply 2807/30/2013

Is she still fat?

by Anonymousreply 2907/30/2013

Janbot, just a question-how do you feel about Janet's work pre-Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis?

by Anonymousreply 3007/30/2013

[quote]JANBOT, please continue to ask and answer your own questions

Pardonne moi? Certainly you can't mean that, can you? If so, then I'd take a good look in a mirror before calling ANYONE a psycho. Trolldar, my dear. Trollar will help you see just whose "questions I've answered." LOL. You people are too much.

by Anonymousreply 3107/30/2013

This is like when Sharon Stone fans keep talking about "Basic Instinct" and how great it was.

by Anonymousreply 3207/30/2013

Oh, Madonna girl @R29, I'd high-five you for that hilarious comment, but I wouldn't want your gnarly hand to fall off!

by Anonymousreply 3307/30/2013

lmao Joan Rivers is in on it too. Every time Vadge is mentioned on Fashion Police, Joan keeps calling her out on wearing gloves over her aged hands.

by Anonymousreply 3407/30/2013

[quote]Janbot, just a question-how do you feel about Janet's work pre-Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis?

There's some good, underrated stuff on JANET JACKSON and DREAM STREET. Between the two albums, she worked with Giorgio Moroder, The Sylvers, Rene and Angela, Jesse Johnson (from The Time) and Cliff Richard to name a few. One of my faves from her first album is the New Wave-ish "Come Give Your Love To Me".

by Anonymousreply 3507/30/2013

[quote]lmao Joan Rivers is in on it too. Every time Vadge is mentioned on Fashion Police, Joan keeps calling her out on wearing gloves over her aged hands.

Yes! Madonna has some NASTAY hands. Just gross. They say you can tell people's age by their hands, and if that's the case, then HAGdonna has gotta be pushin' 100. I wouldn't want her to touch me, that's for damn sure.

by Anonymousreply 3607/30/2013

R34 watches Fashion Police. Kinda says it all about the poor girl.

by Anonymousreply 3707/30/2013

"French Blue", a B-side, is another jam. The Jesse Johnson-produced track is just a remix/mashup of "Fast Girls" and "Pretty Boy" from DREAM STREET, with some added-in backmasking. Pure Minneapolis funk.

by Anonymousreply 3807/30/2013

FAIL, R37. I can't even say nice try, just FAIL. BIG time.

by Anonymousreply 3907/30/2013

Janet is not fat, she's big boned.

by Anonymousreply 4007/30/2013

Whatever happened to britbot? Britbot, madbots, and janbot, are the greatest!

by Anonymousreply 4107/30/2013

Some bots have been discontinued, r41.

by Anonymousreply 4207/30/2013

Janbot thanks for the link to "Come Give Your Love To Me". Never heard before but I like it. Not big on the other song you posted though. I do like "Young Love", which of course is from her first album.

R37 it's entertainment. Joan is hilarious. Too bad if you can't handle her dissing Vadge.

by Anonymousreply 4407/30/2013

[quote]Her cheekbones were incredible back then.

Yes, and still are. She's always had those high cheeks, since GOOD TIMES.

by Anonymousreply 4507/30/2013

[quote]Janbot thanks for the link to "Come Give Your Love To Me". Never heard before but I like it.

You're welcome. It's definitely one of my favorites from the first album. It was sampled in a posthumously-released song from the late rapper J Dilla...

by Anonymousreply 4607/30/2013

I was a senior in high school when this came out. We used to sing along to it on the radio and change the lyrics to "When I stink of you," then run our fingers under our noses and mock-smell them. Ah, memories!

by Anonymousreply 4707/30/2013

What do we think of societal misfit who STILL, in 2013, continues to sign notes as "LMAO" and still considers herself to be clever and witty and fresh? What next....uhh....Daddio, are you also going to tell us she is no longer totally tubular?

by Anonymousreply 4807/31/2013

a fine, entertaining thread. Love Janet too!

by Anonymousreply 4907/31/2013

This is the best early Janet song

by Anonymousreply 5007/31/2013

[quote]I was a senior in high school when this came out.

Wow, you're old.

by Anonymousreply 5107/31/2013

I do admire Janbot's devotion.

by Anonymousreply 5207/31/2013

Janbot needs to devote herself to taking her meds.

by Anonymousreply 5307/31/2013

[quote]the youngest artist since Stevie Wonder to top the Hot 100.

Not true. Peggy March was 15 when she hit #1, also in 1963 (same year as Stevie), with "I Will Follow Him".

by Anonymousreply 5407/31/2013

My cheekbones are higher.

by Anonymousreply 5607/31/2013

janbot, tell us about yourself.

by Anonymousreply 5707/31/2013

JANBOT only has access to a computer during community hour at her asylum.

by Anonymousreply 5807/31/2013

wow at the Vadge stans invading this thread. Janet became a star at a younger age than that old slore. Deal.

by Anonymousreply 5907/31/2013

You are correct, R59. Whe Janet was cashing her "Good Times" checks, Madonna was slutting, tricking and ho-hopping her way through lower NYC.

[quote]My cheekbones are higher - Madonna

Your cheekbones are filled with silicone. And your hands look like withered branches on a centuries-old tree. And you look like Gargamel. But that's a different story.

[quote]Not true. Peggy March was 15 when she hit #1, also in 1963 (same year as Stevie), with "I Will Follow Him".

Wrong. Peggy March's song went to #1 in April of 1963. Little Stevie Wonder's "Fingertips Pt. 2" hit the top of the Hot 100 in August of that year. So, with "When I Think of You", Janet WAS the youngest solo artist since Stevie Wonder to hit the top of the Hot 100.

by Anonymousreply 6007/31/2013

You are one sicko piece of JanBot shit.

by Anonymousreply 6108/01/2013

Funny. This was back in the days when vids were cheesy. Prince did these too. (Cream, for example.)

by Anonymousreply 6208/01/2013

It's not really a one-take video. There are several hidden cuts, at 1:27, 1:47, 2:45, 3:21 and 4:16.

by Anonymousreply 6308/01/2013

R62 Janet's song is from 1986 while Prince's "Cream" is from 1991.

by Anonymousreply 6408/01/2013

You realize you are talking about songs from 1986, don't you? Half of us here weren't even born then. You people live in a dreamland created by nostalgia and old amyl nitrate.

by Anonymousreply 6508/01/2013

I love Janet threads.

Bump!

by Anonymousreply 6608/01/2013

My boyfriend's muslim and much younger and hotter.

by Anonymousreply 6708/01/2013

It's funny because even though I used to be a big Janet fan (when she was still relevant), this used to be the one song I didn't like. It's just plain and cheesy IMO.

by Anonymousreply 6808/01/2013

La Toya she is not.

by Anonymousreply 6908/01/2013

R67 yes did you find him in your daughter's math class?

by Anonymousreply 7008/01/2013

[quote]You realize you are talking about songs from 1986, don't you? Half of us here weren't even born then. You people live in a dreamland created by nostalgia and old amyl nitrate.

You are too stupid to live. How old are you, anyway? Twelve? Thirteen? Go back to the sandbox little boy. This is a forum for grownups.

[quote]I used to be a big Janet fan (when she was still relevant)

She IS and will ALWAYS be relevant. As long as there are pretty girls dancing around in their videos, putting on elaborate stage shows and releasing catchy pop songs, Janet's legacy will be front and center. Every young pop tart ruling the Hot 100 owes Janet a debt. As Joan Morgan of ESSENCE magazine once put it: "Jackson's 'Control', 'Rhythm Nation 1814' and 'janet.' established the singer-dancer imprimatur standard in pop culture we now take for granted. So when you're thinking of asking Miss Jackson, 'What have you done for me lately?' remember that Britney, Ciara and Beyoncé live in the house that Janet built."

by Anonymousreply 7108/01/2013

[quote]La Toya she is not.

You are correct. Janet is an Oscar nominee, a Grammy winner, a multiplatinum artist, a film actress, an entrepreneur, a dancer, a songwriter, a #1 NY Times Bestselling artist, a world-renown performer... La Toya is none of these things. And she knows it.

by Anonymousreply 7208/01/2013

[quote]My boyfriend's muslim and much younger and hotter - Madge

Yes, and the fact that you're old enough to be his grandmother is not only alarming and pitiful, but it's also sad. Oh, and my man is a MAN. - Janet

by Anonymousreply 7308/01/2013

NO, are YOU serious? And for the last time, stop posting gifs here. It is after all an ADULT forum like you say.

[quote]As Joan Morgan of ESSENCE magazine once put it: "Jackson's 'Control', 'Rhythm Nation 1814' and 'janet.' established the singer-dancer imprimatur standard in pop culture we now take for granted.

Er, no they didn't. Ever hear of THRILLER? And in any case Jam and Lewis's songs for her were just Vanity/The Time/Prince knock offs. She added NOTHING new to the table that wasn't done first and better by someone more talented.

Janet is a dead bitch and nothing you tediously keep posting for some twisted attention will change that.

by Anonymousreply 7408/01/2013

[quote]Er, no they didn't. Ever hear of THRILLER? And in any case Jam and Lewis's songs for her were just Vanity/The Time/Prince knock offs. She added NOTHING new to the table that wasn't done first and better by someone more talented.

Take your question to Ms. Morgan, whose comment I quoted. I would, however, have to agree with her. Janet's albums and videos surely set the standard for females who dance non-stop in vibrant music videos. She set the standard. Karyn White, Pebbles, Nia Peeples, Vanessa Williams, TLC, Aaliyah, Mya, Britney, Ciara, Destiny's Child, etc., followed. And the stuff on "Control" had that Prince vibe because JJ/TL are from Minneapolis, as is Prince, and the MN scene has a sound unto itself. Prince has covered Janet's "...Lately" in concert several times.

[quote]Janet is a dead bitch

No, hon. She's quite alive, and working on a new album overseas.

[quote]NO, are YOU serious? And for the last time, stop posting gifs here

Who the fuck are you? The Datalounge police? Get bent.

by Anonymousreply 7508/01/2013

Janet's ex-husband, Rene, was the brains behind her best work. She outed herself as him not getting credit in the Thank Yous to "The Velvet Rope." In his divorce settlement, he stated that she told him "These are our songs," not to take credit. It's not surprise that after her 1997 album, her career plummeted. She had a one successful album after that, but it was successful due to her dumbing down her music, and everyone kissing her ass. It was the same era Madonna dumbed down her music after "Ray of Light." It was the "in" thing to suck up to these supposed "icons," letting them rest on their laurels (Michael Jackson was treated the same way in 2001). It was so cool that they were headed back to dance music. Ugh! Their albums "Music" and "All For You" were generally crap, especially after their stellar previous albums. "The Velvet Rope" was awesome. "Control" to "The Velvet Rope" made me appreciate her because she didn't do what she was supposed to do. She actually took risks.

Listen, I love Janet 1986-1999. After that, it was over. Getting rid of Tina Landon was a disaster! Her final nail was when she hooked up with that hood rat, Jermaine Dupri.

by Anonymousreply 7608/02/2013

He looks like someone who fires people when they are raped r73.

by Anonymousreply 7708/02/2013

I do love Janet and I wish Feedback had done better on the charts. I thought that was actually a hot song.

by Anonymousreply 7808/02/2013

But isn't it just Heaven on a biscuit that Janice has been banned to Arabia for the rest of her pathetic fat life? Begone, fat, talentless bitch.

by Anonymousreply 7908/02/2013

Janet needs to come back with new music!

by Anonymousreply 8008/02/2013

Oh Janbot, never, EVER change.

Janet is iconic. It's an undeniable fact. I don't know why it's so hard for the queens here to just give her that.

by Anonymousreply 8108/02/2013

LOL. Wen I went to summer school we all called this 'When I Stink of You'.

by Anonymousreply 8208/02/2013

[quote]Who the fuck are you? The Datalounge police? Get bent.

lol, that's a new one

When is Janet's new music coming out? It would be cool if Janet had a huge comeback and bumped Beyonce right off her high horse.

by Anonymousreply 8308/02/2013

[quote]When is Janet's new music coming out?

Even Tranet Troll couldn't answer that one cause it knows it's not happening and she's never coming back. Sadly TranTroll is in deep denial and still hasn't come to terms with her demise, sitting huddled up in the corner with its Justin Timberlake voodoo doll talking to itself.

[quote]It would be cool if Janet had a huge comeback and bumped Beyonce right off her high horse.

But alas we're in 2013 not 1993 and Bee remains on top, while a 50 year old Tranet can't even get signed to a label.

Only her remaining fanbase of 6 ageing internet gays would buy anything from this hasbeen joke. To everyone else, she couldn't give away her album as a free download.

by Anonymousreply 8408/02/2013

r84, BeYAWNce's days at Columbia are numbered.

by Anonymousreply 8508/02/2013

[quote]Janet is iconic. It's an undeniable fact. I don't know why it's so hard for the queens here to just give her that.

No it is NOT an undeniable fact. At most iconic in the USA only for this most local of stars. Worldwide tells the real story, this most deluded of hasbeens had to change the title of her egotistical "Number Ones" album (which included #1s in such notable territories as South Africa and the all important dance chart to fill out the premise of the tracklisting) in the UK to Best Of. She also had a different cover in the UK for Discipline where they had to bill her as "Janet Jackson" rather than the laughably self-regarding "Janet" so people had a clue who she was.

If going by these #1s, she's no different to Mariah and a good chunk of them are forgettable of the moment radio hits that don't stand the test of time. Much of her work is unmelodic and not memorable, songs with hi-tech production and beats that were built for dancing to but would soon date as less care was put into the songwriting. There's a reason the Rhythm Nation singles and New Jack Swing of that era get very little airplay today. Do you really think the likes of All For You, Black Cat and the incoherent mumbling of Doesn't Really Matter are iconic and will be remembered 20 years from now?

She is hardly a Michael/Madonna/Prince or even a Britney. Their place among legends in pop history is assured, Janet's is rented for.

The most memorable thing she did from a pop culture standpoint was the Superbowl for goddsakes and she couldn't even capitalise on that. The public saw through and turned on the fake lying bitch, who couldn't even own her stunt.

Some things she did when she was relevant were iconic - Control, RN1814, naked Janet cover but that doesn't mean SHE herself is an icon. I thought you needed charisma to be an icon, not a grown babywoman talking in a hushed voice. Nothing she did as a personality was remotely memorable, the public knows nothing about her as a person and cares even less about her lying about her secret marriages. And it's not as if she has the mystique or talent of a Prince to back it up. The whispering relic is a big fat lip synching fraud and had nothing interesting to her to stay at the top like a REAL icon would. If she's so iconic she would have hung around, regardless of flop albums. But no one cares about her as a person or the increasingly tired music.

by Anonymousreply 8608/02/2013

r86, Janet is rich beyond comprehension, do you think she is worried about her status among tired, long-winded queens such as yourself? No gurl.

by Anonymousreply 8708/02/2013

[quote]Take your question to Ms. Morgan, whose comment I quoted. I would, however, have to agree with her. Janet's albums and videos surely set the standard for females who dance non-stop in vibrant music videos. She set the standard. Karyn White, Pebbles, Nia Peeples, Vanessa Williams, TLC, Aaliyah, Mya, Britney, Ciara, Destiny's Child, etc., followed. And the stuff on "Control" had that Prince vibe because JJ/TL are from Minneapolis, as is Prince, and the MN scene has a sound unto itself. Prince has covered Janet's "...Lately" in concert several times.

Quelle surprise, looks like we have a little reading comprehension problem. I'd like to know where this clueless writer said "first FEMALE" she said overall. Besides, even if she was the first woman to do this in videos who cares, copying innovations by her brother is a lot to be proud of, huh. And I love how most of the people you list who she influenced are, like her, either irrelevant or hasbeens from the 80s.

The reality is there wasn't anything "new" about her at all, she was a manufactured star made Frankenstein-like from the 3 biggest of the 80s: Michael (the dancing), Prince (the music) and Madonna (the attitude). Not like she had anything to work with herself.

[quote]Who the fuck are you? The Datalounge police? Get bent.

No, sweetie, just someone with common sense. This isn't the Pulse or atrl boards with morons posting gifs as a reply and substitute for their lack of wit.

Even you must have noticed, the stripped down plain design and posting style of DL doesn't really allow for gifs, they don't work here, one of the great things about it. As well as making you look idiotic, undermining what you say and making you even harder to take seriously.

I'd like to see you spamming other threads with gifs, you'd get eaten alive. However since it's confined to your own threads or places you're patrolling for mentions of your heroine, fair enough. Be my guest.

by Anonymousreply 8808/02/2013

FINALLY! Janbot has a nemesis!

Popping the popcorn now.

by Anonymousreply 8908/02/2013

Yeah great and original post there, r87, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 9008/02/2013

R87 and R88, we bow down to you, thank you very much. You put a stake through Janbot's fat black heart at last!

by Anonymousreply 9108/03/2013

R86 when you imply Shitney Spears is above Janet, you lose any possible credibility. Janet has more hits and is way more influential than that robotic, talentless puppet. Shitney wouldn't have even had a career if she didn't have Janet to try ripping off of.

The idea that you would devote such long responses about Janet makes you seem quite obsessed. Janet is a legend and will continue to be whether you like it or not.

by Anonymousreply 9208/03/2013

Janet is dead. Her fat ass is in a lead coffin.

by Anonymousreply 9308/03/2013

It doesn't count as they changed the method for ranking hits in the 80s, then changed it three times in the 90s and changed it again in 2003. So you can't compare anything pre 1985 to now.

by Anonymousreply 9408/03/2013

Andy Gibb and the Bee Gees both scored number ones and they were siblings. So did Marky Mark and his brother from New Kids On the Block.

by Anonymousreply 9508/03/2013

[quote]She is hardly a Michael/Madonna/Prince or even a Britney. Their place among legends in pop history is assured

Britney??! Are you a crackhead?

by Anonymousreply 9608/03/2013

What is up with the fierce controversies that erupt anytime Janet Jackson is mentioned? I didn't know she was SO polarizing a figure, and inspired so much obsession - primarily from her detractors.

"Janbot" this "Janbot" that. Ay yi yi. Give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 9708/03/2013

[quote]Janet needs to come back with new music!

She's currently overseas making a new album. The producers she's working with were putting up a rapid succession of pics from the studio to their Twitter accounts, and speaking about how they rented out a beach house in Dubai to just write and record.

by Anonymousreply 9808/03/2013

[quote]Janet is iconic. It's an undeniable fact. I don't know why it's so hard for the queens here to just give her that.

Because they are pure haters. Someone who is more beautiful, talented and famous than those losers will EVER be just gets under their skin.

by Anonymousreply 9908/03/2013

[quote]When is Janet's new music coming out?

The producers she's working with have been "following her around the globe" for the past six months or so, according to one of them. Since their still recording it, I'll say it will likely be out in the first quarter of 2014.

by Anonymousreply 10008/03/2013

[quote]Even Tranet Troll couldn't answer that one

See R98 and R100

[quote]Sadly TranTroll is in deep denial and still hasn't come to terms with her demise

The only thing I'm in denial of is that there are actually people in the world who are as stupid as you. I mean, it just can't be. Oh, and as I said, she's still very much alive and VERY much able to buy and sell your two-bit, trailer park-dwelling ass.

[quote]50 year old Tranet

She's 47. You may have been making a joke, so I'll forgive your slip-up. Isn't HAGdonna pushing 60? ROFLMAO!

[quote]Only her remaining fanbase of 6 ageing internet gays would buy anything from this hasbeen joke. To everyone else, she couldn't give away her album as a free download.

Tell that to these people. Looks like a lil' more than 6 to me.

by Anonymousreply 10108/03/2013

[quote]they rented out a beach house in Dubai to just write and record.

Because nothing puts you on the cusp of the music industry like recording in a Muslim Emirate during Ramadan.

[quote]"following her around the globe" for the past six months or so, according to one of them

Link, please.

by Anonymousreply 10208/03/2013

[quote]No it is NOT an undeniable fact.

YES, it IS an undeniable fact. Janet Jackson's career, as well as the woman herself, have inspired MANY pop starts to come after her--male AND female. As I said before, every pop female on the charts today owes Janet a debt of gratitude, and many have said as much themselves. To deny this just shows your innate jealousy, bitterness, and proves you have an axe to grind.

[quote] At most iconic in the USA only for this most local of stars

Bitch, please. Janet Jackson has fans on a GLOBAL scale. South America, Africa, Asia, Australia, The UK, you name it. There is a Russian fan club. A fan club in The Netherlands. Her German fans cried hysterically upon meeting her backstage when she toured for THE VELVET ROPE over there (shown on the E! when they did a segment on her back then). Speaking of TVR tour, it not only began in Europe, but it also sold out all over Europe. Fans came out in droves to see her when Tyler Perry's "Why Did I Get Married Too" premiered in the UK. She is the recipient of an honorary World Music Award, given to her by Prince Albert of Monaco. She still holds the record for the fastest sellout at the Tokyo Dome. Local of local stars?? Ha! Local my motherfucking ass.

[quote]Much of her work is unmelodic and not memorable...There's a reason the Rhythm Nation singles and New Jack Swing of that era get very little airplay today

You really do need to vary the kinds of radio stations you listen to, sweetie. Janet is played on stations varying from AC, to R&B-Urban, to '80s/'90s/Today stations. Her hits pop up all the time on your radio dial. Take the foil off of the antannae on your little Philco and come into the 21st century.

As for RN's singles, well, there is hardly a pop album from the '80s that speaks on todays societal ills in such an on-point way as RN did. The album's topics (racism, violence against children, homelessness) plague us even more now than when it was released.

[quote]She is hardly a Michael/Madonna/Prince

No, she just had her brother begging for her help during the "Scream" era, complimenting her on her RN album on numerous occasions, and copying her "Love Will Never Do..." video with his own "Keep it in the Closet" video. Prince covers "What Have You Done for Me Lately" in concert every chance he gets, and HAGdonna tried (and failed miserably) to mimick Janet's RN during her "Girlie Show" tour in an abysmal version of "Holiday". I'll give Madonna credit, though. She's gone from being jealous of Janet (the "Bite your tonge" remark in TRUTH OR DARE) to loving her music (Janet's "Feedback" was on the HAG's top 5 iTunes list several years back).

[quote]or even a Britney

Now, for this comment ALONE you should be taken out to the nearest field and executed by a firing squad. The FUCK kind of bullshit statement is THAT? Britney Fucking Spears? That child is Janet 2.0 if I've EVER seen it. She's even more of a blatant Janet rip-off than Ciara. If you had any sort of credibility with your words before, you just completely lost it with that doozy of a statement. Britney looks UP to Janet, and has said as much, MANY times. She's a white Janet Jackson. Her videos, stage shows, photos and music are all direct rip-offs of anything Janet has done and will do. Watch this video, bitch, and watch it again. And again. For it is telltale evidence that you are just north of retarded.

by Anonymousreply 10308/03/2013

[quote]As I said before, every pop female on the charts today owes Janet a debt of gratitude, and many have said as much themselves.

You can't just trot these talking points out again and again. Let's see links.

[quote]Janet Jackson has fans on a GLOBAL scale...

All anecdotes, no statistics. Link please. You really need to understand the idea of attributing claims with empirical proof.

[quote]The album's topics (racism, violence against children, homelessness) plague us even more now than when it was released.

Obviously, then, it had no effect. And Grandmaster Flash did it much, much better.

[quote]Prince covers "What Have You Done for Me Lately" in concert...

Well, the producers worked for him.

[quote]Britney Fucking Spears?

She has many more hits in the last 15 years than Janet. And better songs. "Baby One More Time" and "Toxic" are more relevant today than anything from Janet.

by Anonymousreply 10408/03/2013

[quote]huddled up in the corner with its Justin Timberlake voodoo doll talking to itself.

LOL. Even if it was true, it wouldn't be necessary. With the formidable rise of the infinitely more talented Robin Thicke, the pins have already begun to be gouged into the voodoo doll that is Justin Timberlake's career. But not by me.

[quote]Some things she did when she was relevant were iconic - Control, RN1814, naked Janet cover but that doesn't mean SHE herself is an icon.

Well what does it mean? The woman herself is behind all of those things you named, dearie. I think it means that you're a desperate, reaching, pathetic hater. That's what I think it means.

[quote]The most memorable thing she did from a pop culture standpoint was the Superbowl

Really? Since you are so woefully uninformed (embarrasingly so, even), let me take your dumb ass to school on all things iconic when it comes to Janet Damita Jo Jackson.

JANET JACKSON'S RHYTHM NATION 1814:

The biggest selling album of 1990

The biggest debut tour by ANY artist

The highest US concert box office by a female in 1990

The first and only album to score 7 Hot 100 Top Five hits

Artists still sample and remake RN's tracks today

Included on several "Greatest albums" lists

RN netted Janet more Billboard Awards in one night than any female, and made her THE artist with the highest accumulation of said awards--male OR female, to this day

by Anonymousreply 10508/03/2013

More on Janet's POP CULTURE status for the doofus at R86:

Her stamp on today's pop artists is evident, from Ri Ri...

"She was one of the first female pop icons that I could relate to." She's so vibrant, and has so much energy. She still has power. I’ve seen her on stage, and she can stand there for 20 minutes and have the whole arena scream at her. You have to love Janet.”

--Rihanna

by Anonymousreply 10608/03/2013

...to J Lo...

by Anonymousreply 10708/03/2013

More 'RN' POP CULTURE proof:

R&B star Kerri Hilson paid tribute to RN in her "Pretty Girl Rock" video.

by Anonymousreply 10808/03/2013

Kim Fields dressed as a RN-era Janet on the sitcom "Living Single"

by Anonymousreply 10908/03/2013

'RN' Hello Kitty

by Anonymousreply 11008/03/2013

Janet's career is passed the point of needing life support. It's dead. Gone. It sends it's regards.

by Anonymousreply 11108/03/2013

'RN' Mickey Mouse

by Anonymousreply 11208/03/2013

Janbot has to go back over 20 years to give examples of Janet in pop culture.

by Anonymousreply 11308/03/2013

JANET POP CULTURE:

Janet's CONTROL album was not only the way-maker for Jody's debut solo CD, Vanessa Williams's rip-off "The Right Stuff", Nia Peeple's debut disc and Paula Abdul's "Forever Your Girl", but the catch phrase in "Nasty", as well as the song itself, are still relevant in pop culture today.

by Anonymousreply 11408/03/2013

More on CONTROL's legacy and influence on pop culture for the dummy at R86:

The famous "LatelyBass" preset on the Yamaha TX81Z (used extensively on house and techno songs of the late 1980s and 1990s) was based on the bass tone of "What Have You Done for Me Lately", and subsequently named after it as well.

by Anonymousreply 11508/03/2013

Janet popularized the headset microphone after wearing it in several videos and performances in the '80s. Soon after, artists from Madonna to Bobby Brown were seen wearing them in videos and during performances.

by Anonymousreply 11608/03/2013

That Rihanna quote is 2 years old, Janbot. Since then, Rihanna has had three more #1 hits. The rear view mirror is pulling farther away.

And who is Keri (you spelled it wrong) Hilson? Name one Top 10 hit with a RN sample in the last three years.

Just to remind you, 1990 is 23 years ago. Taylor Swift was born in 1989. Oil up that wheelchair.

by Anonymousreply 11708/03/2013

The cover of the "janet." album and Rolling Stone were not only Janet's idea (she derived the idea for the photo while filming POETIC JUSTICE, after stepping out of the shower one night), but it is clearly one of the most copied, parodied and paid-homage-to photos of ANY female pop star. Male and female artists have not only cited this, but have also re-created the photos themselves. Everyone from comedienne Kathy Griffin...

by Anonymousreply 11808/03/2013

We can go all afternoon, Janbot. You're copy/pastes are being exposed for the frivolities and ancient trivia that they are. It's the pictures that got small, right?

by Anonymousreply 11908/03/2013

...to Adam Levine, who Tweeted last year:

"Even for as huge as Janet Jackson is. I stil feel like her records are underrated. #brilliant"

by Anonymousreply 12008/03/2013

Poor Janbot. Yours is a thankless and fruitless task. No1curr about Janet. Maybe she could do porn?

by Anonymousreply 12108/03/2013

[quote]Janet popularized the headset microphone...

Kate Bush did it first, in 1979.

by Anonymousreply 12208/03/2013

[quote] And I love how most of the people you list who she influenced are, like her, either irrelevant or hasbeens from the 80s.

No, darling. True, Janet was clearly the inspiration for every dance diva of color to come into success in the mid-to-late '80s, many artists who've stated their Janet influence are of the '90s or new millineum ilk (Lady Gaga, Kelly Rowland, Beyonce, Britney Spears, Ciara, Mya, TLC, Aaliyah, Jessica Simpson, X-tina, etc.). Their irrelevant or hasbeen status has nothing to do with the fact that Janet has inspired them, and a litany of others. You're reaching, and it shows.

by Anonymousreply 12308/03/2013

[quote]Kate Bush did it first, in 1979.

Kate Bush may have done it first, but Janet Jackson made it popular.

by Anonymousreply 12408/03/2013

[quote]...to Adam Levine, who Tweeted last year:

It was nearly two years ago. Again, you're references are aging. And of course the reference keeps him from having to pay her rights.

by Anonymousreply 12508/03/2013

[quote]but Janet Jackson made it popular.

Link, please, proving Janet did it before Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 12608/03/2013

I really wish we could ban all Janet Jackson threads. Janbot creates such a hostile/miserable atmosphere. These Janet Jackson threads do not fit into the overall direction of what I consider to be the goal of Datalounge - a place where people can chat, disagree, agree, whatever. If you do not reply saying that you love Janet, Janbot will insult you.

I will respect Janbot's tenacity and knowledge of all things Janet but I think Janbot should focus on directing his/her message within dedicated Janet Jackson forums (if such things exist). If not, a good use of Janbot's time would be creating an unofficial Janet Jackson discussion forum so he/she can discuss Janet with likeminded people. It could be called Janetlounge or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 12708/03/2013

[quote]FINALLY! Janbot has a nemesis!

That pitiable creature? HARDLY! He tickles me. He also saddens me at the same time. It takes a special kind of waste of human space to be able to do that, but R86 succeeded with honors.

[quote][R87] and [R88], we bow down to you, thank you very much. You put a stake through Janbot's fat black heart at last!

R87 spoke on Janet's great wealth, so you were right in "bowing down" to him. As for that last sentence, well, you're obviously a racist, so I don't know why I'm even dignifying you with a response.

by Anonymousreply 12908/03/2013

Oscar nominee? Isn't that cute?

by Anonymousreply 13008/03/2013

Nicki Minaj recently Tweeted a pic of herself kicking back watching POETIC JUSTICE

by Anonymousreply 13108/03/2013

[quote]link, please.

Go to Google for your "link". Producers Ian Cross and Tommy Parker have been working with Janet since last September. In February, he blogged:

“After a couple years taking care of business away from home, I can’t tell you how good it feels to be back in my own place. Back in LA. Back to making records. Janet Jackson and I are making a killer right now. Best of all, back to sleeping in my own bed."

In June, he added:

"Music has taken me to some crazy places but I never thought it would bring me here. This is Doha, the capital of Qatar. It occupies the Qatar Peninsula on the northeasterly coast of the much larger Arabian Peninsula. Its sole land border is with Saudi Arabia to the South, with the rest of its territory surrounded by the Persian Gulf. It’s home for the next few weeks. Qatar is kinda like the Switzerland of the middle east. Very peaceful and neutral in it’s politics. They are a very kind, thoughtful people. And quite frankly, too rich to think about becoming suicide bombers. Janet and I always talked about getting away from it all and recording in paradise. Given her new husband is from Doha we packed up a studio, rented a villa on the beach and came here to make music. I know, I know. I’m one lucky bastard."

She is also creating some Brazillian flavored tracks for the new album, and has assembled an impressive team of musicians - people that have also worked with James Taylor, Nora Jones, Tracy Chapman and John Mayer.

on April 4, Ian Cross blogged:

"Making records is hard work. Making history is even harder. It sure helps when your best friends are some of the most talented people on the planet. In the lab with Bobby Ross Avila, Iz Issiah Avila, Zach Djanikian, Joe Gallagher, Anthony Saunders and Matt Marin for the new Janet record."

by Anonymousreply 13208/03/2013

Me too R131. It's the cinematic equivalent of Sominex.

by Anonymousreply 13308/03/2013

Janbot, why is Janet making her new music "overseas" instead of in Atlanta or LA? Do you know what type of music it will be?

by Anonymousreply 13408/03/2013

[quote]Link, please, proving Janet did it before Madonna.

No link necessary. Janet Jackson popularized the microphone headset when she wore it throughout the CONTROL era (the video for "Control", various performances during that era, etc.). Madonna didn't start wearing one until the Blonde Ambition tour, which was WAY after CONTROL. Also, Bobby Brown wore one in his "My Prerogative" video, which also came after CONTROL. It became de rigueur for artists to sport one after Janet made it popular.

by Anonymousreply 13508/03/2013

[quote]It's the cinematic equivalent of Sominex.

Is that you, "Shanghai Surprise"?

by Anonymousreply 13608/03/2013

All these hating ass bitches! Don't hate her because she's all that you're not.

by Anonymousreply 13708/03/2013

Ian Cross's last hit was engineering Gwen Stefani in 2004.

And Tommy Parker's biggest pop hit is a #17 for Justin Bieber two years ago.

Oh, and Cross's description of Qatar was the epitome of the ugly American. Too rich to suicide bomb? Classy.

by Anonymousreply 13808/03/2013

R134, probably just to get away from the hustle and bustle, and do something different. Lots of artists record overseas. I believe this is her first time doing so.

by Anonymousreply 13908/03/2013

LMAO! Looks like R138 was so incensed that she did some research. As I stated, there are various folks working on the album. Ian and Tommy are just two. She's also still working on it, so when the final product is done, who knows who all would have worked on it.

by Anonymousreply 14008/03/2013

[quote]It became de rigueur for artists to sport one after Janet made it popular.

So if she made it sooooo popular, then why did it take 4 years ('86-90) for it to really take off after Janet only wore it once in that video.

Oh yeah, cause Vadge did it. Then you see Bobby Brown, Garth Brooks, etc... sporting it.

by Anonymousreply 14108/03/2013

Except Janet's head mike was designed to make her weak voice stronger. She couldn't sing. Still.can't.sing.

by Anonymousreply 14208/03/2013

[quote]If you do not reply saying that you love Janet, Janbot will insult you

Cry me a river. Tell that to your friends upthread who've insulted me, and who are declaring the woman "dead", calling her every name under the sun and exposing their insensitivity ("dead fat black heart"), to their utter stupidity (see R86, etc.).

[quote]It could be called Janetlounge or something like that.

There is a Janet-Xone where fans talk about her, but of course the occasional troll will seep in to ruin the atmosphere. I swear I think some of them are right here on DL in these Janet threads. I even caught one red-handed before. They're the true miserable lot.

Anyway, I like you. You seem like a nice person. It's the malicious shitcans that I don't take too kindly to.

by Anonymousreply 14308/03/2013

[quote]So if she made it sooooo popular, then why did it take 4 years ('86-90) for it to really take off after Janet only wore it once in that video.

It wasn't in the one video. She wore it for her iconic 1987 AMA and Grammy performances as well.

[quote]Oh yeah, cause Vadge did it. Then you see Bobby Brown, Garth Brooks, etc... sporting it.

No, baby. Because JANET did it. Bobby Brown did it even BEFORE Madonna (MY PREROGATIVE was in '88), and he took his cue from Janet, as did Madonna. Janet made it popular, and other artists followed. You're reaching, and you're also an obvious Madonna stan, despite saying otherwise. Truth is truth, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 14408/03/2013

So why did Brown wait two years if she made it so fabulous?

by Anonymousreply 14508/03/2013

[quote]who are declaring the woman "dead"

Not her, just her career. It hasn't really been viable for a good 10 years.

[quote]...exposing their insensitivity ("dead fat black heart")

Please. You're the one who mistakenly claimed racism, when "black heart", aka heart of darkness, is a common literary term to describe someone with less that positive intentions, like you.

No insults here. It's just that your schtick is tired. You repeat the same things over and over that you pick up on those fanblogs, often erroneously, and then tell people they can be purchased by your idol, or that she owns us? Shades of slavery if you ask me. What do you expect, bonbons?

Janbot ain't a compliment. 'bots are unthinking, repetitive machines without any capacity for intelligence or reason. Think about that.

by Anonymousreply 14608/03/2013

[quote]Melissa Etheridge, Carly Simon

Two women with a Janet connection. Melissa mentioned Jan in her own autobiography when she spoke about the role of Cleo on FAME coming down to her and Janet, and Carly dueted with Janet on the "You're So Vain"-sampling "Son of a Gun" (Taylor Swift recently followed suit and did her own duet with Carly on "You're So Vain").

[quote]Oscar nominee? Isn't that cute?

It sure is.

by Anonymousreply 14708/03/2013

[quote]You can't just trot these talking points out again and again. Let's see links.

Pay attention...

Gaga Calling Janet a Legend

by Anonymousreply 14808/03/2013

For R104, who wants unmitigated proof on Janet's influence, Kelly Rowland speaks on it

by Anonymousreply 14908/03/2013

For R104, more proof as Ciara speaks of wanting to work with Janet

by Anonymousreply 15008/03/2013

Yoohoo! R104! Here's TLC giving Janet some love

by Anonymousreply 15108/03/2013

yawns

by Anonymousreply 15208/03/2013

Kelly Clarkson covering Janet's "If" (for R104)

by Anonymousreply 15308/03/2013

For R104, Beyonce said in her recent HBO special that she wants to be an inspiration to young girls the way Janet inspired her as a young girl. For more of what Bey had to say, see R71.

by Anonymousreply 15408/03/2013

That's called PR, Janbot. Celebrities say nice things about each other. One could fine the same collection of gushes about Mariah, Whitney, Madonna, Celine Dion, Pink, Britney, Katy, Gaga, Rihanna. You always post the same links as though they are definitive and unique in the entire entertainment industry.

Yes, Janet is a talented performer who left an impact on the music industry. But she's not the only one, and among female artists, while she makes a shortlist of all-time pop greats, a few are a little higher.

Most of us don't love her like you do, but that doesn't mean we hate her. Just what you do to shill her. Try turning it down a notch or two.

by Anonymousreply 15508/03/2013

For R104, who wants proof of Janet's worldwide fan status, here is her Russian Fanclub wishing her a happy birthday...

by Anonymousreply 15608/03/2013

Hey, R104. Check the German fans in this video beginning at the 1:48 mark...

by Anonymousreply 15708/03/2013

R104, here is Janet, mobbed by fans and press while in Australia

by Anonymousreply 15808/03/2013

[quote]Obviously, then, it had no effect. And Grandmaster Flash did it much, much better.

I said POP album, NOT hip-hop. If you're gonna play, at least know your genres.

by Anonymousreply 15908/03/2013

The Message went top 10 on the British POP chart and made the Billboard Hot 100 and Dance charts, so it qualifies as a crossover. Unless you don't want to call Black Cat a rock song.

by Anonymousreply 16008/03/2013

[quote]She has many more hits in the last 15 years than Janet. And better songs. "Baby One More Time" and "Toxic" are more relevant today than anything from Janet.

Shitney Spears the headshaving self-medicator couldn't shine Janet's shoes. She's a Janet pupil. It's a teacher/student thing, and she learned well (i.e., her identical stage dance tease ala the Velvet Rope tour on her own last tour, intricate choreography, etc.), but she can never be the real thing. Most of the stuff on her BRITNEY album were Janet rejects (SLAVE 4 U was written for Janet by the Neptunes, and when Janet passed on it, it went to Britney). Everything the child has done since the beginning has been a replica of what Janet has already done. To deny this is simply foolhardy. I'll just chalk your blatant ignorance up to what I'm assuming is young age.

by Anonymousreply 16108/03/2013

[quote]Everything the child has done since the beginning has been a replica of what Janet has already done.

Please show me the debut video of Janet Jackson in a schoolgirl uniform, and pigtails, dancing in the high school gym to a Swedish-produced pop classic.

by Anonymousreply 16208/03/2013

[quote]Please show me the debut video of Janet Jackson in a schoolgirl uniform, and pigtails, dancing in the high school gym to a Swedish-produced pop classic.

No need. The fact that Britney Jacks--er, SPEARS was dancing around and performing intricate choreography is proof enough. JC Chasez was quoted as saying that Britney admired Janet so much while they were on MMC that they used to call her "Little Janet" (it was on an E! True Hollywood Story of the MMC). Her "Overprotected" video was shot in the SAME hotel lobby as Janet's "Son of a Gun" (there was even an identical tracking shot in the main lobby). Various Britney press photos are exact replicas of Janet photos. Britney's penchant for screaming "SING!" in her songs is reminiscent of the way Janet always does it on several songs. She's worked with the same choreographer, similar music video directors, etc., etc.

I posted this video before but maybe you didn't get the point then...

by Anonymousreply 16308/03/2013

[quote]Name one Top 10 hit with a RN sample in the last three years.

Rapper Plies feat. Ne-Yo's "Bust it Baby Pt. 2" sampled COME BACK TO ME and it was #7 on the Hot 100. It came out in 2008, so it's off a year according to your little "deadline", but, patata, patotta...

by Anonymousreply 16408/03/2013

[quote]It came out in 2008, so it's off a year...

Again, you're arithmetically challenged. That's FIVE years, not three. And on our way to 2014, so six years without being on a pop chart. That's 30% of Justin Bieber's life.

by Anonymousreply 16508/03/2013

[quote] "Baby One More Time" and "Toxic" are more relevant today than anything from Janet.

What?

by Anonymousreply 16608/03/2013

[quote]Again, you're arithmetically challenged.

Again? I think you're mistaken darling. Anyhoo, my bad--two years off your little deadline then. Regardless, your wish was for me to say there weren't any RN-sampled hit songs of recent years, and I was only too happy to debunk your little request.

by Anonymousreply 16708/03/2013

[quote]The music video for the single was one of the first one-take music video clips.

It's not literally one take, you know. There are four places where there's a cut to the next shot. But it's all done pretty seamlessly (except at the cut where the photographer says "Smile"; things are not in exactly the same place before the flash and after). This is almost as much fun to watch today as in 1986.

by Anonymousreply 16808/03/2013

Yeah, there are a few cuts, but you're right R168, it's a ball to watch. Julien Temple would direct her again in the ALRIGHT video. His stuff for her was so Broadway-esque and lively.

by Anonymousreply 16908/03/2013

[quote]I was only too happy to debunk your little request.

But you didn't. Fact is, Janet or even a Janet cover/sample/reference has not been on the pop chart in this decade, which is nearly 40% over. That's pretty dead. Imagine going 1989-1994 with no hits.

by Anonymousreply 17008/03/2013

I can't with the Shitney stan in this thread! Bitch, Shitney sucks. She has no "good songs". None of her songs are "better" than Janet's worst songs. The difference is that white trash girls and the feminine, worst kind of gays will buy anything that non-talent puts out.

by Anonymousreply 17108/03/2013

Shitney? Really?

Are you 12?

by Anonymousreply 17208/03/2013

[quote]That's called PR, Janbot. Celebrities say nice things about each other. One could fine the same collection of gushes about Mariah, Whitney, Madonna, Celine Dion, Pink, Britney, Katy, Gaga, Rihanna

But it's what you asked for, genius. Links to show other artists talking about how Janet influenced them. I provided several examples for you. If you didn't want the truth, then you shouldn't have asked for it. Besides, we aren't talking about Mariah, Whitney, Madonna, Celine, etc. We are talking about Janet. Which is what you asked for. Dummy.

by Anonymousreply 17308/03/2013

[quote]Britney Spears is a carbon copy of Janet Jackson, down to her tightly-choreographed tours.

Didn't Blond Ambition set the stage for all "tightly-choreographed tours."

by Anonymousreply 17508/03/2013

[quote]Didn't Blond Ambition set the stage for all "tightly-choreographed tours."

Not exactly. Janet's Rhythm Nation tour began a month before Madonna's Blonde Ambition tour, and it had two more legs (5 to Madonna's 3). If you consider Madonna flailing around on a stage while a bunch of uncoordinated queens pranced around her "tightly-choreographed," well...

And speaking of Madonna's dancing, here's the abysmal wanna-be Rhythm Nation moment during the "Girlie Show" tour that I spoke about upthread. Oh, the horror!

by Anonymousreply 17608/03/2013

Jeeze, Janet lover. Give it a fucking rest. She's not even a has been because she never was and didn't inspire squat. Saying Britney copied her is NOT a compliment because she seriously sucks, too. Watch In Living Color sometime because they hit it on the nose when they mocked her lack of singing abilities and Whitney's lack of dancing abilities. Hilarious and so dead on.

by Anonymousreply 17708/03/2013

Janet and Madonna both owe their careers to good producers and MTV. Neither of them have memorable voices.

by Anonymousreply 17808/03/2013

Question: Did Janet have a falling out with Jimmy & Terry? She did her best work with them, worked with them for years, and then by 2004, started working with them less and less, and stopped completely after 2006.

It just seems so strange why she wouldn't reunite with the people that gave her good songs unless there was some sort of falling out.

by Anonymousreply 18008/03/2013

R180, she worked with different producers for 'Discipine' because it was a rushed album, for starters. Janet had to pass on the role in Lee Daniels' "Tennessee" that ended up going to Mariah because she'd signed to the new label, and they wanted her to get in the studio and quickly record. Don't know if JJ/TL wanted to work on the project, but it just worked out that they didn't. Jimmy recently spoke about her fondly, and she'd mentioned them from time to time as well. They're all still friends.

by Anonymousreply 18108/03/2013

MADONNA made the head mic iconic. That's why nobody remembers Janet's use of one. They're often referred to as Madonna-mics.

by Anonymousreply 18208/03/2013

Except that Madonna and Brit are still creating, still have a recording contract, can fill stadiums, and never abandoned their children like that fat monster Janet.

by Anonymousreply 18408/03/2013

r183 has reading comprehension issues. I never said Janet didn't wear a head mic first. Frankly, I don't know and I don't care. I said that Madonna made it ICONIC, which is why it's called a Madonna-mic and not a Janet-mic.

by Anonymousreply 18508/03/2013

R184 "creating" is the wrong word. Vadge looks around at what other people (famous or obscure) are doing and then steals the ideas for her albums, videos and personal style. Shitney has even less input-aka none. Her label gives her songs and then she decides if she likes them. Shitney has everything done for her.

by Anonymousreply 18608/03/2013

NO! NO!! NO!!!

Janet INVENTED the head mic when she attended night school at M.I.T while earning her PhD in Electrical Engineering between shows.

Everyone knows that! You can Google it, clod!

by Anonymousreply 18708/03/2013

Of course, R187, but that was before Janet invented the single take music video and then told Chad Hurley to invent YouTube so there would be a place to post them.

And Rhythm Nation also cured world hunger!

by Anonymousreply 18808/03/2013

Everyone knows that if it weren't for Janet Jackson, the Cold War would never have ended and we'd still have the Berlin wall.

It's true! You can Google it!

by Anonymousreply 18908/03/2013

R187/R189 = Failed comedian

by Anonymousreply 19008/03/2013

When Janet was chanting "Ho", "Ho", "Ho", on Rhythm Nation, it was her encouraging Dr. David Ho to calibrate the combination of anti-retrovirals that ended the HIV epidemic in 1995.

Janet Jackson cured AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 19108/03/2013

[quote]The first words in her obituary will be Michael's sister who bared her breasts at the Superbowl.

Which resulted in the warring factions coming together to sign the Humanitarian Ceasefire Agreement in Darfur six weeks later.

by Anonymousreply 19308/03/2013

[quote]Vadge has done nothing but copy from other artists, as another thread discussing her copycat behavior indicates.

And you are posting this on a Janet thread. Janet's catalogue is almost entirely made up of different words sung over top of other artists' popular songs.

"Sampling" is taking a snippet and building a new song around it. Not just taking a Supremes song and adding new lyrics. Janet never learned this.

by Anonymousreply 19408/04/2013

And just before that world-wide naked photo of Janice's naked shaved pussy, the boy who took the photo put dildos, cucumbers up her ass and a big German Shepard licked her pussy.

She loved it.

by Anonymousreply 19508/04/2013

I love the way the Janetbot systematically takes anyone down who dares insult Miss Jackson. Y'all don't stand a chance. You go, Janbot!

#got my popcorn

by Anonymousreply 19608/04/2013

Underrated Janet songs post-All For You

Take Care, Rollercoaster, Never Letchu Go, Truly, All Nite, Days Go By, Daybreak

by Anonymousreply 19708/04/2013

R182, you can post as many links as you like. While I applaud your tanacity, the fact remains that JANET JACKSON made the headset mic popular. She wore it in 1986's "Control" video, she wore it at the 1987 American Music Awards, and she wore it during her 1987 Grammy performance--y'know, the one where she got a standing ovation?

Here's news reporter Alex Wagner referring to her own headset mic as "Janet Jackson Rhythm Nation-style headphones." While she got the era wrong, she was correct in stating that they are "Janet Jackson-style."

by Anonymousreply 19808/04/2013

I heart R183. You have common sense.

by Anonymousreply 19908/04/2013

Why did Janet even sign with Def Jam for that 5 minutes anyway? It was such a waste of time. I knew LA Reid had no place trying to direct Janet creatively. Patti Labelle said he basically destroyed any chances of her getting new music on the radio again in her career. And then he had the nerve to go on Andy Cohen's show and say Janet was hard to work with. Bitch please. The Jacksons are music royalty and he specializes in cultivating new acts. He just lucked out with Mariah in 2005.

Im glad Janet is past that phase in her career where she tried to record albums like these young hos out here today. Janet is from the old school of recording where they take a year to record an album. That is what she is accustomed to, and Im glad she is taking her time on the next one. I dont care if takes another 5 years, as long as it's good.

by Anonymousreply 20008/04/2013

[quote] I will respect Janbot's tenacity and knowledge of all things Janet

We're fascinated as well.

by Anonymousreply 20108/04/2013

[quote]Everyone knows that if it weren't for Janet Jackson, the Cold War would never have ended and we'd still have the Berlin wall.

You are partly right. When her RN tour hit Berlin in October 1990, she visited the Wall. She talked about it to Bob Goen on "Entertainment Tonight" back in 1994.

by Anonymousreply 20208/04/2013

[quote]Janet's catalogue is almost entirely made up of different words sung over top of other artists' popular songs. "Sampling" is taking a snippet and building a new song around it. Not just taking a Supremes song and adding new lyrics. Janet never learned this

You should've thought about what you were going to type before you typed it. That Supremes song you're referring to is "Someday We'll Be Together". It is SAMPLED in Janet's "If", in the famous violin dance breakdown. The song itself ("If") is a pop/R&B track with heavy guitar. It is not Janet singing different lyrics over the Supremes song.

As for the rest of her catalogue, less than half of her 50-plus singles contain samples. Only 2 of her 10 Hot 100 #1s contain samples. Now what was it that you were saying Janet never learned?

by Anonymousreply 20308/04/2013

It is a little known fact that Janet Jackson invented the internet before Al Gore. It's a fact! You can Google it!

by Anonymousreply 20408/04/2013

Another one for R182:

Doug and Carrie in "The King of Queens" have a conversation beginning at 1:48 into this clip about Carrie's headset phone at work. Doug then goes on to say that he "likes those," and that if she brought it home they could fool around and he could pretend she's JANET JACKSON. NOT Madonna. So there.

by Anonymousreply 20508/05/2013

She also sampled "Love Child" by the Supremes for the shitacular "You Want This", R203. Get your shit together.

by Anonymousreply 20608/05/2013

She SAMPLED "Love Child" for the #8 Hot 100 hit "You Want This". SAMPLED. It was not Janet singing lyrics over the "Love Child" beat, which is what R194 is claiming. Get YOUR shit together.

by Anonymousreply 20708/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.