Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Heterosexual stud Hugh Jackman's Wolverine DISAPPOINTS at the box office!

Wolverine is expected to open to $56m and possibly less, after a $21M Friday and $18m Saturday.

The last Wolverine opened to $85m.

Fox today says it opened with $21.0M Friday, not the $23M the studio projected after that strong $4M from Thursday late shows beginning at 10 PM. Fox then throughout Friday began downsizing The Wolverine weekend from $65M to $61M. ”It’s an odd one because off the late shows Thursday and probably into mid-day yesterday we thought we were headed to $65M or thereabouts – and it just kept slipping downward as the day wore on into the evening,” a Fox exec explains to me. But rival majors last night estimated an even lower $53M-$56M - and they were right: “Softer than many people thought it might be as the last Wolverine film opened to $85.1m.

by Anonymousreply 6308/02/2013

I saw it yesterday. Much better movie than the first and they kept Hugh shirtless for half the movie.

by Anonymousreply 107/28/2013

Have movies cut back on TV advertising? There have been a few block buster movies the last couple of years [half of which have bombed] which I have barely seen any commercials. Is movie advertisement now mainly webpages, and online and theatrical trailers, with little television advertisement? Or is it possible that the TV advertisement is all on cable and little on the networks? I have not seen one commercial for this movie (I do watch TV, but don't have cable).

by Anonymousreply 207/28/2013

How many more damn superhero movies can Hollywood churn out? Maybe the audiences are getting tired of these franchises?

by Anonymousreply 307/28/2013

It must vary R2. I have the opposite experience. I've seen tons of ads of very big blockbuster this summer. I've been seeing tons of Wolverine ads and I don't have cable either. Maybe it depends on what you're watching or where you are.

by Anonymousreply 407/28/2013

People are tired of action movies. The only action movies that have done above expectations this year - Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, World War Z and Fast & Furious 6 - opened early in May and June. By July, everyone had had their fill and were looking elsewhere for entertainment - that's why mediocre films like The Heat and The Conjuring have done so well, because they are the only alternatives available.

by Anonymousreply 507/28/2013

The trouble is that even if it's better than the first, who wants to see a sequel to a movie no one enjoyed?

Hollywood has got to come up with something different than this tired action movies. It's like when we kept getting "buddy" movies shoved down our throats in the late 80d and early 90s after the success of "48 Hrs," or wedding comedies shoved down our throats in the 00s after the success of "Four weddings and a Funeral." People just get sick of the same thing being doled out all the time.

by Anonymousreply 607/28/2013

The Wolferine was never about the US. They made it with an eye on the Asian markets.

by Anonymousreply 707/28/2013

The summer blockbuster is dead! Long live the angsty teen fauxmance/action flick!

by Anonymousreply 807/28/2013

Damn when is it not primetime around DL?

by Anonymousreply 907/28/2013

I think we have reached the point of comic movie saturation, just as DC is ramping up its film production department.

It had to happen, Hollywood is desperate for properties that have "pre-awareness", and appeal to straight men. Comics are about the only thing in the world that have pre-sold appeal to their preferred audience, so that's all they want to fund. Of course it's a bad plan, and it's going to blow up in their faces, either soon or now.

by Anonymousreply 1007/29/2013

homo

by Anonymousreply 1107/29/2013

Maybe Hugh baby has reached the point where he's going to have a hard time opening an action fil. He's not getting any younger and is actually starting to look a bit wizened.

by Anonymousreply 1207/29/2013

HA! Sorry, Miss Jackman, but there's a new heterosexualist star in town!

by Anonymousreply 1307/29/2013

I saw this post on another board and it made me laugh and laugh and laugh. This poor woman is in for a big shock:

[quote]Matt Bomer is gay?? How sad....lol....I think you just ruined my night. Thank GOD Hugh Jackman is straight. I don't think I could handle it if he was "batting for the other team."

by Anonymousreply 1407/29/2013

I don't need him to admit he's gay, but I reserve the right to mock his laughable attempts to pretend he's not.

by Anonymousreply 1607/29/2013

Perhaps it's the fact that people like you think it's something that should be hidden, like there's shame in it.

by Anonymousreply 1807/29/2013

r17 I’m sorry, are you seriously trying to imply that my random anonymous posts on the internet are bothering Hugh Jackman? I assure you that they’re not.

Maybe you should instead ask yourself why it bothers [italic]you[/italic] so much when people talk about him being gay.

by Anonymousreply 1907/29/2013

You have a strange definition of disappoints.

[quote]"The Wolverine," which is set in Japan and features an international cast, earned another $86.1 million overseas. The film's opening-week take surpassed the $120 million it cost to make, said Chris Aronson, Fox's head of domestic distribution.

by Anonymousreply 2207/29/2013

The only person who seems desperate about Jackman's orientation is r20.

by Anonymousreply 2307/29/2013

Uh, Fox kept revising the figures DOWNWARD all weekend, R22. They expected an opening in the $80 million range and ended up with $54million. Being almost $30million lower than expected is a disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 2407/29/2013

Fox has fucked up X-Men films so many times that nobody is interested anymore. Give it back to Marvel already.

by Anonymousreply 2507/29/2013

Honestly, r26, no one is in hysterics about the issue but you. So really, who's desperate here?

by Anonymousreply 2707/29/2013

I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't seen it, but for those who have, did the stinger leave you a bit conflicted? It hints at a possible continuation of the first three, but it also seemed like a Golden Girls reunion of sorts. And someone is looking like one of the evil trees from the Wizard of Oz.

by Anonymousreply 2907/29/2013

And may we ask, OP, what are your achievements in life? We know what Hugh's are.

by Anonymousreply 3007/29/2013

What do you think the opening weekend box office figure would be if Hugh had officially come out a week ago?

by Anonymousreply 3107/29/2013

[quote]They expected an opening in the $80 million range and ended up with $54million. Being almost $30million lower than expected is a disappointment.

I really hope they weren't just looking at the previous film's opening week gross as a measure. The film may have done well opening week but was a fiasco and widely panned by the comic book set. You let down the built in audience and they won't show up for the sequel.

And Fox will keep churning out the X-Men movies to prevent films right from returning to Disney/Marvel.

by Anonymousreply 3207/29/2013

R28 is cranky that his daily meal of fresh steaming colostomy bag isn't ready yet!

by Anonymousreply 3307/29/2013

R29, the bit after the credits is supposed to tie into "Days of Future Past" which is a sequel of sorts to "X-Men : First Class" and features cast members from that and the original trilogy (the cast is enormous).

Anyway, I saw The Wolverine and was also disappointed, though I haven't read the comics so that may affect my opinion. One of my main problems was the setting and how Wolverine/Hugh Jackman seemed to be shoe-horned in, though from what I gather that storyline is straight from a comics series. Apart from that, I found the story predictable, generally badly acted (I also read that the lead actress is a Japanese model and that this is her first real acting job, and it shows), and focused too heavily on action sequences that go on a minute too long. The best part about it was the deliciously campy villainess and the odd-looking red-headed girl. Yukio, I think her name is? Does anyone know who she is supposed to be in the X-Men universe?

by Anonymousreply 3407/29/2013

Look troll, just go back to imdb where you belong. You'll be very welcome there.

by Anonymousreply 3507/29/2013

Hugh is too OLD to continue playing Wolverine. It is time for him to pass the torch to a younger (hotter) actor. Also, except for die hard comic geeks no one gives a damn about X-men. I wonder if John Palermo's name is still attached to this apparent box office dud?

by Anonymousreply 3607/29/2013

[quote]Why do people want him to admit he's gay so much?

People DO NOT want him to admit he's gay.

People want him to STFU!

He's an obviously gay man involved in a sham marriage in order to get hetero roles in movies. Lots of men have done this before and we know that it will continue. That's NOT the point.

The problem everyone has with Hugh Jackman is that, over and over and over, he insists on creating hetero fairytales to add more locks to his closet. If he just kept quiet and pretended he had a hum-drum happy marriage, nobody would notice, Obviously, he's so invested in his closet, he has a need to create stories about wearing his costumes while bedding his wife, along with other outlandish hetero tales.

At the same time, he and his wife make the claim that people think he's gay because he portrayed Peter Allen in a musical. IT'S A LIE!!!!!

Long before he portrayed Peter Allen, people knew Hugh Jackman was not straight. Further, the fact that he lived with John Palermo in a condo unit while his wife and adopted children had their own condo in another part of the building was written about in the press. Did you think someone at DL made that up????

We don't want Hugh Jackman to admit he's gay. He's not that interesting nor attractive so why should we care if he comes out? Instead, we want the closeted actor to stop making up elaborate stories as if he thinks there's something wrong with being gay.

by Anonymousreply 3707/29/2013

If it makes you feel better, r28, my name is Hugh and I'm straight as a board!

by Anonymousreply 3807/29/2013

Whether Hugh is gay or not, r37 is a screwpot.

You need to get over yourself.

by Anonymousreply 3907/29/2013

No, he's not r39. What he wrote is mostly correct.

by Anonymousreply 4007/29/2013

R20, why do you think people don't go on and on about Christian Bale being gay (he's got other issues)? Or Ben Affleck? Or Matt Damon? Or Brad Pitt?

There's this ridiculous argument made by some that gay people only think the "hot" ones are gay. Bullshit.

There are certain actors where it's pretty much an open secret and they are discussed here - that's kind of the point of this site.

by Anonymousreply 4107/29/2013

I thought Matt WAS gay. No?

by Anonymousreply 4207/29/2013

News to me, R42.

I thought there was merely obsession with and worship of his (womanly)ass.

by Anonymousreply 4307/29/2013

People occasionally claim Matt and Ben are a couple, but it's always been a joke. And r41 is right, there are plenty of hot actors that have no gay rumors... because they're not gay. Look at Paul Walker, he's gorgeous, but he's rumor free. Or Johnny Depp. Or Denzel Washington. Or Shia LeBeouf. Or Daniel Day-Lewis. Or Matthew McConawhatever. The list goes on. People who have widespread and persistent gay rumors have them for a reason, and that reason isn't lust.

by Anonymousreply 4407/29/2013

I'm just miffed we've yet to have ANYONE on DL who has either had Cavill or witnessed him with a guy.

Thus far, I've only heard Keram's bit about Jake and Henry caught on CCTV.

by Anonymousreply 4507/29/2013

When your movie is called "The Wolverine" and it's a follow-up to a movie called "Wolverine," you might have signaled to the world that you just don't care and you are totally out of ideas and it doesn't matter anyway because all you care about are other markets.

by Anonymousreply 4607/29/2013

r41 and r411 have nailed it. Thread Closed.

by Anonymousreply 4707/29/2013

R44 I agree I find it funny when people come up with the excuse that people will say every attractive male celeb is gay. As the saying goes where there's smoke, there's fire.

This movie is tonnes better than the first wolverine movie. At least there somewhat of a interesting plot, even though it was very forgettable. Did like the japanese culture and cool female characters.

by Anonymousreply 4807/29/2013

Far from me the idea of defending this movie. I couldn't care less about yet another super heroe flick aimed at teenagers.

But, a 55 million first week end is something After Earth, White House Down, Lone Ranger would have been proud of.

by Anonymousreply 4907/29/2013

Yes, r40. Anyone who writes so much INSISTING and slamming a gavel that somebody MUST BE something is a sicko. Even I think he's gay, but there's a difference before acting like a whackjob, which is what r37 is. Why is everyone so damned invested in this?

You are both appalling, sick, freakish individuals.

by Anonymousreply 5007/31/2013

Why is he "trying so hard" in the last few weeks? He probably knew the film blew, so I can understand the publicity blitz, since it's part of his job. But all of the "I brake 4 snatch" stories in every second article, plus the leaked workout photos shows someone trying to convince *himself* that the campaign is working, more than the public.

by Anonymousreply 5107/31/2013

I can't tell you how happy I am that the mainstream decided to start identifying these people. It's so refreshing to know that Mr. Jackman is just a regular heterosexual, and not a toddler-munching pedophile, or some freak who bashes his wife in the head with a fire extinguisher just because he wants to get into her brother's pants.

We've come a long way, Baby.

by Anonymousreply 5207/31/2013

Finally saw it. It doesn't "blow" but it's not enough to make up for how bad Origins: Wolverine was. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the last Wolverine solo film. No wonder Jackman has been so desperate to get Wolverine into Avengers 2.

by Anonymousreply 5307/31/2013

This movie is better than the first one. I like the chick who plays his sidekick. The love interest had not tits or ass.

It's time for Jackman to do something different if this flops. Maybe a gay romantic drama a la Brokeback Mountain.

by Anonymousreply 5407/31/2013

I found the lack of mutants in the film to be disappointing. One of the coolest things about X-Men is that almost everyone has some awesome ability. Yet The Wolverine only had Wolverine and Viper. (I don't really count Yukio's ability, which was pointless.)

by Anonymousreply 5507/31/2013

Mariko was stunningly beautiful. I'm not surprised that actress is a model.

by Anonymousreply 5607/31/2013

In the PR business we have a saying...Say it enough and someone will believe it."

Hugh and Deb are in love!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5707/31/2013

I played my bongos nude with Cole Hauser and then married a South American woman interested in the entertainment industry.

by Anonymousreply 5807/31/2013

r58 I relate to the latter (wink!).

by Anonymousreply 5907/31/2013

South Americans make the best beards.

The families support the women in getting whatever they can from the rich American men. Not as much of that pesky morality, religious conviction and "but does he really love you stuff" that US women usually get when they present a bearding opportunity to their parents.

by Anonymousreply 6007/31/2013

I liked this one a lot better than the first. The lack of CGI mutants and the atmospheric setting in Japan was refreshing for a Marvel blockbuster. The third act just destroyed the movie though. It was getting good when he lost his regenerative powers, but then that tacked on ending was just a waste.

by Anonymousreply 6108/02/2013

Eh, it was OK but eventually I was waiting for the movie to hurry up and end.

by Anonymousreply 6208/02/2013

This is a sequal to Last Stand, not Origins, though yeah on the timeline it is.

I just never cared that much for Wolverine, in print or on the screen. The "angry wandering loner hero with maybe a heart of gold somewhere" is TIRED. It amazes me how popular the shrimp is in the comic books.

by Anonymousreply 6308/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.