Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does anyone not have depression?

are there people who are happy most of the time?

by Anonymousreply 1707/31/2013

I am, OP. Didn't used to be -- but now I'm retired & spend more time with animals than people, which has made all the difference.

by Anonymousreply 107/27/2013

I wasn't depressed when I was young.

Maybe I just need more animals?

by Anonymousreply 207/27/2013

Depression is a normal emotion on the spectrum. We experience all emotions. The difference between someone who suffers from depression and others is that depression for normal period of time following certain depressing events (usually dealing with loss) does not qualify. Depression sufferers are those with pervasive depression. It never really goes away. They always exist in some form of depression, and it can be crippling.

I probably could have written that more concisely, sorry.

I personally believe we are more depressed as a society these days because we have fallen away from what is natural, and what our ancestors evolved doing for millenia: we eat unnatural foods filled with harmful chemicals because they are cheaper to produce than wholesome unadulterated food, we isolate ourselves in our toxic homes making love to our electronics (you know the iPhone stimulates love in the brain and not addiction?) rather than being in nature getting our feet dusty on the bare earth breathing fresh air, working the land (pfft, who works the land anymore? who even knows how to grow a damn vegetable?), and importantly, we avoid being part of a thriving community, a supportive network of people who care about us. We are doing everything possible to harm ourselves and not meet our emotional and physical needs. It's no wonder we're so depressed.

by Anonymousreply 307/27/2013

I've met people that are always happy. Often they are not wealthy but come from a very strong, stable family structure, and were raised with good values and an ability to rationalize disappointment. Because they are so positive, it's easy for them to find jobs and to become economically stable. People want to be around them; they're so happy and content.

by Anonymousreply 407/27/2013

R4, I know a couple that's just like that: Mickey and Minnie Mouse

by Anonymousreply 507/28/2013

Don't tell me poor people are happier then the wealthy.

They could be, if they had access to healthcare.

The only thing wrong with working a very physical job is the fact that your bosses treat you with total disrespect. It's like being a slave but you are making $7 dollars an hour. It usually doesn't leave room for happiness.

by Anonymousreply 607/28/2013

I knew a woman who was always Happy Happy and unrelentingly Up all the time. I found out later from a young relative of hers that she has been taking anti-depressants for several decades.

by Anonymousreply 707/28/2013

I am. I get blue or anxious at times, but it's short lived and then I'm happy again. I'm not in a constant state of euphoria. No one can be. But I'm content most of the time. I have endless curiosity and love learning new things. I also appreciate the small stuff--a great cup of coffee, an amazing sunset or a favorite song on the radio are enough to make me really happy.

by Anonymousreply 807/28/2013

[quote](you know the iPhone stimulates love in the brain and not addiction?)

r3 is this something you invented for the sake of argument or is this an actual theory?

by Anonymousreply 907/28/2013

Being happy almost all the time and not having depression are two very different things.

Being unhappy and being depressed are two very different things.

One can be very unhappy about something and not feel disconsolate, devalued and desperately stuck in an rut without a glimmer of hope. When one is having a bad break up for instance or has just lost one's job, one can feel extremely down, but one can also have the sense that this is temporary, circumstantial and not a reflection on one's prospects for ever feeling ok again. When one is depressed one feels that one will never regain oneself or reclaim one's sense of worth.

by Anonymousreply 1007/28/2013

R6, If you're referring to my post (R4,) let me be clear and say that VERY poor people, who don't have access to adequate health care, safe housing, and nutritious food, and have very few options for improving their lives, are understandably rarely very happy.

However wealthy people are not necessarily happier than moderately poor people, particularly if the latter grew up with relatively happily married parents. Let me give you just one example.

One young man told me his parents escaped the Taliban in Afghanistan, and were able to bring him to the US, knowing that otherwise he would be killed, like all of his uncles. He was so proud to support his parents in return, because his English was proficient. He never missed a day of work and was never sick. His sister was studying to be a pharmacist, and he was happy to help her out as well. I do believe that he had minimal needs and expectations out of life. That helped him be completely satisfied.

by Anonymousreply 1107/28/2013

Abba songs and bon-bons, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 1207/28/2013

Nope OP, everybody calls me Sparkie. I don't know why. I guess it's cause all my friends say I sparkle and bubble.

by Anonymousreply 1307/28/2013

R9, actual theory. I did not make it up. I did hear it from a local doctor who read it somewhere, but I don't know where he got it. He was surprised, but realized when he thought of his iPhone, he always thought how much he loved it. It's no wonder this thing we consider so dear must sleep in bed with us. I think (hard to remember) he referenced some study that showed it triggered a part in the brain associated with love, not addiction. I don't, however, have any way of proving this to you short of contacting him and waiting for a response, but I'm too lazy.

by Anonymousreply 1407/31/2013

I love r13.

by Anonymousreply 1507/31/2013

Ecstatic most days. Sober. Work part time at a job I love. Living in a great house that is paid off. Have a huge backyard in the mountains, so nature is everywhere. Absolutely joyful about life, even when things don't go the way I want them to, that's the key, letting go of expectations in general and accepting life on life's terms. Bliss.

by Anonymousreply 1607/31/2013

Not being happy all the time certainly isn't evidence of depression.

Clinical depression is debilitating. If you're just miserable, you aren't depressed. You just need to get masterfully laid.

by Anonymousreply 1707/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.