Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NBC Wants Jay Leno To Stay On Past February In Some Capacity

Jay Leno may be leaving "The Tonight Show" in February 2014, but NBC isn't done with him yet.

At the Television Critics Association Summer 2013 press tour, the chairman of NBC Entertainment Bob Greenblatt said, "We'd love him to stay on NBC in some capacity. Nothing would make us happier than to have him, a la Bob Hope, still be a presence on the network." Greenblatt did note, however, that there's nothing specific is in the works. "He has done an incredible job for more than two decades," the NBC exec added of Leno. "I take my hat off to him."

New dad Jimmy Fallon will take over Leno's post on February 24, 2014, leaving "Late Night" behind for the 11:35 timeslot on NBC. The point of transitioning the late-night talk show posts before the upcoming Olympics was to give Fallon the best chance of success. "By the time he gets the 'Tonight Show,' he will have done his own show for a thousand or more episodes. He's seasoned, he's a Grammy winner, he's an Emmy winner. It just seemed like the right time to do it," Greenblatt noted.

Current "Saturday Night Live" head writer Seth Meyers will then take over Fallon's 12:35 timeslot, making him one of many stars of the NBC sketch comedy show to leave his/her spot open. Bill Hader announced he was leaving shortly before the end of the show's most recent 38th season and since, Fred Armisen and Jason Sudeikis have both confirmed they're leaving "SNL" as well.

The show also lost its leading lady Kristen Wiig at the end of its 37th season, along with power player Andy Samberg. But Greenblatt isn't worried about "SNL," noting executive producer Lorne Michaels is really good at "re-seasoning" the show. "Would we have preferred to keep Jason and Bill and Fred and Kristen for more time? Absolutely. Seth Meyers is going to leave to his own new show for us. But some of these people have been on the show [a long time]. In Seth's case, 12 years. Bill Hader's been there I think 12 or more years. They have families, they have lives. Bill wanted to move his family to the West Coast. Movies come a-calling," Greenblatt explained. "You hold on to them as long as you can, but there's nobody better at combing the country to find the next generation of these actors than Lorne. You just go through the list [of people he's found]: He was the one who said Conan O'Brien should have his own show; he's the one who said Jimmy Fallon should have his own show; Tina Fey -- the list goes on and on. We're confident he's going to do that again for us. But it is what it is. I think he's hunkered down and he's doing the job, looking for the next generation."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 28, 2013 9:29 AM

All overpaid jokers

by Anonymousreply 1July 28, 2013 12:04 AM

It's well past time to get rid of Leno and Letterman.

by Anonymousreply 2July 28, 2013 12:06 AM

Didn't they do this before with Conan O'Brien?

by Anonymousreply 3July 28, 2013 12:28 AM

If NBC doesn't want to get rid of Leno, maybe they could give him a prime-time show during the 10:00 hour, before the local news.

by Anonymousreply 4July 28, 2013 12:36 AM

They should just let these late night hosts stay on like Supreme Court Justices; they are appointed until death.

by Anonymousreply 5July 28, 2013 12:38 AM

Is Jimmy Fallon gay? He's 37 and married to a 46 year old (who just had their first baby!).

by Anonymousreply 6July 28, 2013 12:39 AM

Oh gosh golly gee whiz, I hope they send that lantern-jawed motherfucker to the dugout.

I could never understand why Jay Fuckin' Leno was tapped to replace Carson. Why?!

He was then, is now, and shall die being FLAT OUT AWFUL and UNFUNNY.

by Anonymousreply 7July 28, 2013 12:39 AM

If has any class at all, he'll leave after his last show and never set foot on the NBC lot again.

by Anonymousreply 8July 28, 2013 12:43 AM

Talk about closeted!

by Anonymousreply 9July 28, 2013 12:46 AM

That they would even suggest the reptillian Leno be the 21st century Bob Hope sickens me. There will never be another Bob Hope.

by Anonymousreply 10July 28, 2013 12:48 AM

They probably want to keep him under control so he doesn't feel so free to speak out about NBC or how Fallon is doing with his show.

by Anonymousreply 11July 28, 2013 12:49 AM

lol, I believe the real reason is Jay could join Fox to launch a new night show to compete again Fallon, that will be a big problem for NBC. So NBC may have to pay big bucks to keep Jay, but not for some work capacity, it's to prevent him joining other networks.

by Anonymousreply 12July 28, 2013 1:20 AM

r11 nails it. I suppose Fox might be considering Jay but with Arsenio re-entering the late night fray the landscape is getting really crowded. Leno doesn't really fit with Fox's demographic (the network, not Fox News Channel) so I really don't see them seriously looking to give him a show. Fox has had years to jump into the late night arena and hasn't tried since Joan Rivers and Chevy Chase back in the 80s/early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 13July 28, 2013 1:40 AM

Jay has an audience, but it's an OLD audience. FOX is going to bother chasing that demographic.

by Anonymousreply 14July 28, 2013 1:42 AM

R7 now Joan, I know you're still upset that Jay was loyal to the bitter Johnny and upheld your ban from appearing on the Tonight Show, but play nice.

by Anonymousreply 15July 28, 2013 1:43 AM

I didn't know you could still push at 46!!!!

by Anonymousreply 16July 28, 2013 1:43 AM

They are him to New York and use his chin to scrape ice off limo windshields in the winter.

by Anonymousreply 17July 28, 2013 1:45 AM

wEREN'T THEY GOING TO BUILD jIMMY A NEW STUDIO OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT? wHY THEY CANCEL IT?

by Anonymousreply 18July 28, 2013 1:49 AM

Jeff Zucker, the recipient of Jay Leno's oral pleasures, is gone from NBC.

One can only figure that this is NBC's way of being nice. Or, more-likely, it's part of the settlement Jay's people made with NBC so that they could rid themselves of him.

by Anonymousreply 19July 28, 2013 1:58 AM

Leno is getting old and boring, but his monologue and jaywalking still the best. Letterman has the best interviews in the business, his Top 10? not so much fun! Jimmy Fallon don't know how to tell jokes, he has awful timing and often killed the jokes, however he has some rare gems like "Real Housewives of Late Night". Jimmy Kimmel is a turd, not funny at all, equally unfunny are his sidekicks guillermo and uncle frank, and his unnecessary censorship just plain stupid!

by Anonymousreply 20July 28, 2013 2:06 AM

I think it is to keep him from joining the competition.

by Anonymousreply 21July 28, 2013 2:07 AM

[quote]Is Jimmy Fallon gay? He's 37 and married to a 46 year old (who just had their first baby!).

Fallon is not gay.

Fallon is actually 38, he'll be 39 next month. You have never heard of str8 men marrying older women? Seriously? My mother is older than my father, they've been married over 50 years.

Get over youe prejudiced bullshit and you wonder why gay people have it rough, think about your own prejudices!

by Anonymousreply 22July 28, 2013 2:17 AM

It's an internet phenomenon since the early 90s, R22, and goes back to Micronet days. If I find a celebrity attractive and he's married to an older woman, he's gay. If he's not married, of course he's gay. If he's married to a younger woman, he's gay.

If he's married to a woman who was born at the exact moment he was born, he's a narcissist who is obviously gay.

Now I just have to wait for him to meet me and he'll finally understand his real nature and he, I, NPH and David Burtka can hang around competing for who is the most fabulous gay couple in human history.

by Anonymousreply 23July 28, 2013 2:26 AM

Leno could give fox instant credibility in late night; that was the fear last time they let him go. Not only did Leno claw his way to the top again after coming back, but he's increased his lead in every demo. What is the network thinking?The former NBC head Ohlmyer can't believe history is repeating itself: NBC never learns.

by Anonymousreply 24July 28, 2013 5:57 AM

NBC should have waited a few more years to kick Leno out again and give the show to Fallon. After all, it's only been 3 years since they brought him back and he still has great ratings.

by Anonymousreply 25July 28, 2013 5:59 AM

R24 and R25, how old are you?

At least 50, right?

by Anonymousreply 26July 28, 2013 7:21 AM

[quote]Fallon is actually 38, he'll be 39 next month. You have never heard of str8 men marrying older women? Seriously? My mother is older than my father, they've been married over 50 years.

not in Show Biz when a famous guy like Jimmy can get whatever he wants and men always prefer young and hot....I'm sure your father had less options

by Anonymousreply 27July 28, 2013 7:27 AM

R26 I've noticed that people who strongly dislike Leno also tend not to like their parents very much either.

by Anonymousreply 28July 28, 2013 7:35 AM

The very idea that someone thinks that Leno's monologue isn't just good, but "the best" has me bowled over. I just might laugh myself to death.

R22 is a clueless hag. r23's just a dumb troll.

by Anonymousreply 29July 28, 2013 7:45 AM

"They probably want to keep him under control so he doesn't feel so free to speak out about NBC or how Fallon is doing with his show."

Building an effective physical muzzle for Leno would have cost NBC much, much more.

by Anonymousreply 30July 28, 2013 7:49 AM

The whole format is kind of tired. I don't watch any of the Late Nighters (except once in a while if there is a guest I'm interested in)

by Anonymousreply 31July 28, 2013 7:49 AM

Leno and Ann Curry could do a show.

by Anonymousreply 32July 28, 2013 7:53 AM

Bill Hader has not been on SNL for 12 years. This person immediately loses credibility.

by Anonymousreply 33July 28, 2013 9:10 AM

They don't want Leno to go to Fox, Leno's people have been saying that they're offering him huge sums & he would take his entire staff with him.

The thing is, since they announced they were dumping him he's had a huge spike in ratings, he's #1 every single night with a large audience.

by Anonymousreply 34July 28, 2013 9:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!