Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Madonna's First Album is 30 Years Old Today!

Playing my original vinyl copy as we speak!

Say what you will about what she became, this first album is a pop gem.

by Anonymousreply 14108/07/2013

'Burning Up' and 'Physical Attraction' are still fantastic to this day. If you're too young to know or remember, it's hard to comprehend how unique, different and SHOCKING Madonna was back then.

by Anonymousreply 107/27/2013

God I feel old. Remember when it hit- I was 17, and so excited.

by Anonymousreply 207/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 307/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 407/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 507/27/2013

Lucky Star

by Anonymousreply 607/27/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 707/27/2013

Her music was/is good as long as they speed her voice up to get that Minnie Mouse voice that is so addicting to listen to. Lucky Star/Physical Attraction/Vogue all use that effect. 4 Minutes uses that effect to a lesser extent, but that's probably why it was her biggest hit in the last few years.

Now she wants to be "artistic" (now meaning the last 15 years) and uses her normal voice (with some autotune)

by Anonymousreply 807/27/2013

Where is the im the lucky, yes by far troll?

by Anonymousreply 907/27/2013

What i mean to say, is that her natural voice is so naturally grim and joyless that when they speed it up, it sounds more "fun" and "dancey" instead of sounding like some 50 year old chick from Michigan singing a dirge over a eurohouse beat. That's why the Madonna album is so great...because it's fun to listen to.

by Anonymousreply 1007/27/2013

I will always love the Madonna of the 80s. She was fucking fabulous in that decade.

by Anonymousreply 1107/27/2013

The "Magic" was in the mole.

by Anonymousreply 1207/27/2013

So were there a lot of original (true original) fans when the album was released? I know some. Debut single "Everybody" was an underground hit - and I think was actually a double A-side with the aforementioned fan fave "Physical Attraction".

Lucky Star was actually her second single in the UK in 1983 released when the album came out there in October 1983.

She didn't blow up of course till Holiday and in 1984, as we all know taking over the world by Like a Virgin at the end of '84, after that well planned VMA performance.

It's hard to think of it now but though the first album did really well, she was playing second fiddle to Cyndi Lauper whose album came out a few months later originally even though Madonna gets accused of stealing her early look from her.

One thing I didn't like was the first album was reissued in the UK post LAV success (also reissued itself with the great addition of Into the Groove, which boosted it to #1) with a fugly album cover with the title having an eye on history.

by Anonymousreply 1307/27/2013

It was more than an entire generation ago! I love learning about American history.

by Anonymousreply 1407/27/2013

I was fun once, you guys!

by Anonymousreply 1507/27/2013

R2 I am right with you, I was 19 having my first drink in a gay bar.

Fake Id was a lot easier back then. A boys got to do what a boys got to do.

by Anonymousreply 1607/27/2013

And Grandmadonna's liver spots are 20 years old!

by Anonymousreply 1707/27/2013

sigh...Vadge was only "shocking" to the white gurls and gaiz who didn't listen to r&b or black disco music. Her first album was basically using those kinds of beats, except she didn't have Teena Marie's voice.

As for the music being catchy, you can thank Jellybean Benitez for getting caught up in Vadge's vagina. She met him at a club and started fucking with him and magically he made her music hot. The original cuts wouldn't have made it.

As for the album sales, the first album originally didn't sell well. It sold way more copies after her second album came out.

As for coping Cyndi, people are confused. Yes Vadge's first album came out before Cyndi's but in this stage, she was copying the looks of Chrissie Hynde, Debbie Harry and Pat Benatar, among others.

Once Cyndi's album came out and did way better, Vadge quickly changed her look to imitate her and even started copying Cyndi's signature moves and poses.

by Anonymousreply 1807/27/2013

For you younger gays reading this, Like a Virgin was considered scandalous back then.

Even though the word Virgin was not considered a cuss word, it just was not spoken in polite situations like on the news.

Kind of funny when you think about it now.

by Anonymousreply 1907/27/2013

LOVE that picture r11, don't recall seeing it, it really sums up the early Madonna.

r8 I don't think Vogue had the helium effect, she was incredibly rough sounding and strained on that - like a worse Express Yourself.

4 Minutes she sounds unbelievably AWFUL on, even if they sped that up they couldn't stop it being so lifeless. I think only the screeching on "Me Against the Music" is worse.

And she sounded fun enough on "Papa Don't Preach" and "True Blue" which weren't Minnie Mouse didn't she?

Basically, the fun Madonna you refer to left after the 80s. Like a Prayer is where Madonna The Artiste arrived.

Speaking of which, there's supposedly going to be a 25th anniversary remaster edition of Like a Prayer next year. Yeah right!

by Anonymousreply 2007/27/2013

R19, "Like A Virgin" was not from her first album, it was on her second.

BTW some trivia-Vadge was lucky to get "Holiday". It was only after established amazing singers such as Phyllis Hyman, Patti LaBelle and Mary Wilson (formerly of the Supremes) rejected the song that it was given to Vadge.

by Anonymousreply 2107/27/2013

This album was the second cassette I ever bought, right after Men Without Hats. Pretty good taste for an 11 year old.

by Anonymousreply 2207/27/2013

I thought Papa Don't Preach was amazing, and Madonna never looked better.

by Anonymousreply 2307/27/2013

Madonna didn't steal shit from Cyndi Lauper. Madonna herself has said she did not invent the look she had in the early 80s - she dressed like every other girl was dressing at Danceteria and the East Village. Madonna was the one who just happened to get famous with that look.

I like all the aformentioned women of the same era - Lauper, Chrissie Hynde and especially Debbie Harry but I was around back then (albeit just a kid) and when Madonna hit the scene she really shocked and at the same time infatuated the public in a HUGE way that the other female pop stars of her era just didn't. Madonna was a "cultural moment" in the exact same way that Michael Jackson was at the same time, no matter what kind of revisionist history people try to do.

by Anonymousreply 2407/27/2013

She seems to have it in for Reggie Lucas, the amazing disco producer who worked with the likes of Stephanie Mills and Phyllis Hyman.

She never thanked him at her R&R Hall of Fame induction (and she got in first year eligibile, 25 years after "Everybody" came out). We knew about her spat with Stephen Bray (who goes right back to the start and her pre-fame bands) but the snubbing of Reggie is odd. She never performed "Borderline" till her recent guitar butchered version.

"Borderline" is a close cousin of Stephanie Mills previous hit "Never Knew Love Like This Before". That first album also has great backing singers like Gwen Guthrie. Definitely one of her most r&b releases and that's how she was first marketed.

by Anonymousreply 2507/27/2013

The album had some good songs on them, but the album sounds almost like a demo. The sound quality is very poor, especially on Borderline, Holiday, and Everybody. Lots of tape hiss and pops and cracks. Other albums from around that time didn't have such poor sound quality, even if they were analog recordings.

by Anonymousreply 2607/27/2013

R25 That's because Vadge is a thoughtless, evil cunt. She has always just used people and washed her hands of them as soon as she got what she wanted.

by Anonymousreply 2707/27/2013

Yeah, she was cool in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 2807/27/2013

R24 don't be so dense. Sorry to bust the illusion you have of your childhood idol, but Vadge copied most famous women who were her peers or who preceded her, including Lauper.

As was explained, Vadge started out on the scene with a style pulling from Chrissie Hynde, Debbie Harry and Pat Benatar.

After Cyndi became popular (her album and singles BLEW up in comparison to Vadge's first album), Vadge started copying her. Vadge dropped the style she started with and started to imitate Cyndi. If you can't see this, you're just delusional.

Also, Vadge became huge after her second album; her first was more underground.

by Anonymousreply 2907/27/2013

r19, it was more than that. Catholics were up in arms over her religious imagery, which in the early 80s was quite iconoclastic. Before anyone learned that her biological name was actually Madonna, many thought she was using a stage name to demonize the sacred name of a sacred icon. Blasphemy like that was contained neatly in the undergound or fringe movement - she brought it out into middle-class American living rooms. The Church were after her, the parent groups were after her - it was what rock n roll legends were made of. She was Sugar Pop, but had the kind of threatening dangerous quality of Mick Jagger in the 60s/70s. It's all taken for granted now - the rebellious female sex, the religious psychosexuality, etc. - but back in the 80s, it was really fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 3007/27/2013

I think she has actually gone on record saying she did not enjoy working with Reggie Lucas. They were constantly at odds over the project. She kept Lucky Star and Everybody as part of her routine for years because those were the first career songs she wrote exlcusively on her own, and Holiday (which she didn't write) was her first radio hit so it's become an image-staple, but the rest of the first album has regrettably been ignored by her over the years.

I love listening to it once in a blue moon and forgetting about the constraints of Time.

by Anonymousreply 3107/27/2013

I disagree, r29. Madonna's early 80s style was pretty consistent. Cyndi was also around that same downtown NY scene and like I said before every girl dressed like that. They all shopped at Screaming Mimi's in the EV and wore the same stuff. I really can't see how Madonna copied Cyndi since she was dressing like that as early as '82, before Cyndi was on anyone's radar. They were just in the same scene at the same time and dressed like everyone else in that scene. And Madonna has acknowledged the influence Debbie Harry and Chryssie Hynde had on her. She's never pretended her early style was dreamed up by herself. She also had a designer named Maripol who did a lot of her wardrobe.

by Anonymousreply 3207/27/2013

[quote]I think she has actually gone on record saying she did not enjoy working with Reggie Lucas.

Reggie is a black guy from NYC, so she probably didn't like him because he didn't put up with her shit. And we all know what a JOY she is to work with *roll eyes*.

by Anonymousreply 3307/27/2013

r23, Papa Don't Preach was truly a revolution in this woman's career. It was the Iconic look to end all iconic looks. Before the True Blue period, her wannabees were little schoolgirls ripping up their leotards to be their idol; now, their parents were joining the crowd of interested admirers (not to mention the gayboys who connected with the androgyny). A 15-minute pop sensation now became a Star in every sense of the word. She was very smart in conjuring up the look of the Hollywood glamour girl of years past - it was Monroe, Novak, Bardot etc who her fans' parents grew up watching. Madonna truly bridged a generational gap with that career move.

Very few pop stars have done something that clever and uncanny. It was the secret of her success through the late 80s and 90s.

Now it's all over the place. But nothing has made sense since the 21st century began.

by Anonymousreply 3407/27/2013

And Madonna turns 70 today!

by Anonymousreply 3507/27/2013

[quote]Papa Don't Preach was truly a revolution in this woman's career.

That song was just another one of the MANY ripoffs Vadge has done throughout her career. The chorus is a FLAT-OUT ripoff of the Sam Harris song "Sugar Don't Bite" which was released a few years before. The writers of the song sued and won because it was so obvious.

The hag hasn't had an original idea in her life.

by Anonymousreply 3607/27/2013

I hated her then and have always wanted to punch her in the face. She has always annoyed me.

I get why there are those that like her, I just am not one of those people.

by Anonymousreply 3707/27/2013

[quote]Even though the word Virgin was not considered a cuss word, it just was not spoken in polite situations like on the news.

My hometown radio station would play only an instrumental version, and the DJ would never identify the song by name, only "That's... Madonna!"

by Anonymousreply 3807/27/2013

I so don't see the similarites R36.

by Anonymousreply 3907/28/2013

R39 Then you're deaf. The chorus is EXACTLY the same melody.

by Anonymousreply 4007/28/2013

Back when she was a little chubby.

by Anonymousreply 4107/28/2013

r34 that's an interesting analysis and one I haven't thought of before. You're right, 'Papa Don't Preach' and the look that went with it made Madonna expand her audience to adults.

by Anonymousreply 4207/28/2013

R42 - Madonna was trying to expand her audience before Papa. Desperately Seeking Susan wasn't for the tweens.

by Anonymousreply 4307/28/2013

Miss Sam Harris! Girrrrll! That video is a scream.

by Anonymousreply 4407/28/2013

No body does it better than Madonna. All Hail the Queen.

by Anonymousreply 4507/28/2013

Regardless of what you think about Madonna, she's definitely set the standard for female pop stars. Now who's going to be the next big star?

Someone on a different gossip site brought up a good point, which is that the "new Madonna" probably isn't going to be anything like Madonna at all. If a pop star is really changing the game, then they really shouldn't be compared to anyone (which is Lady Gaga's problem) and they definitely shouldn't be the new so-and-so.

As examples, the person mentioned that Adele or Amy Winehouse (when she was alive and relatively sober) could have been good contenders. Adele is somewhat of an anti-Madonna in how she's presented: no gimmicks or iconic looks, just a big voice and that's it. But Adele doesn't seem like she cares about being an icon of anything. And Amy had a great look, a cool sound and enough influence to be big but we know how that ended...

So it makes you wonder: who is going to be the next person to change the pop game and more importantly, HOW are they going to do it?

by Anonymousreply 4607/28/2013

"Like A Virgin" wasn't considered "scandalous", it was considered trashy BIG difference. Madonna's trailer trash persona basically led led to celebrity creeps like the Kardashians.

by Anonymousreply 4707/28/2013

Who would have thought Madonna would go on to become the biggest selling female artist of all time with more top 10 hits than any artist ib history and more worldwide #1 singles than any artist in history.

Not to mention becoming the richest female artist of all time with a net worth between $650 million, on the low end, to over $1 billion.

Just last year she earned $125 million, making her the highest paid celebrity of the year.

By comparison Cyndi has a total career networth of $15 million

On top of that Madonna is also the highest grossing solo touring artist in history, with the top 2 tours of all time by a female artist.

And Madonna didn't copy Cyndi, if anything it was the other way around, they're are pictures of Madonna rocking the multi colored rainbow hair look from 1982, that Cyndi would sport throughout 1984, after Madonna had abandoned the look.

In 1986 Madonna went platinim blonde for True Blue and a few months later Lauper went platinum blonde for True Colors even the kids at my school yard were commenting on how Cyndi was trying to follow Madonna

Certain people on the DL dislike Madonna so they resort to anything, including rewriting history to discredit her.

And Madonna has ALWAYS referenced her influences, it was because of Madonna going on and on about being a huge Debbie Harry fan that I got into Blondie.

by Anonymousreply 4807/28/2013

R47 Madonna didn't write that song, the 2 men who would write True Colors for Cyndi did

When producee Nile Rodgers heard a demo of it sung by a man, he presented it to Madonna saying the song would be a smash if she sung it, and the rest is history

How anyone can compare Madonna to the Kardashians is ridiculous Madonna worked her ass of for 5 years before making it big, she also modeled, studies at the Alvin Ailey dance studio, and played guitar and drums for a punk rock band.

Even know Madonna always tries to keep her private life private and turbed down millions of dollars for pics of Lourdes and Rocco and she also refused to sell wedding photos to any of the big celeb magazines, because it's her private personal life

And if Madonna is considered controversial, it's through her work, not her personal life

by Anonymousreply 4907/28/2013

Just think! Young people went to hear Madonna in the 80s... and now not just them and their children, but even their grandchildren can now enjoy her music!

by Anonymousreply 5007/28/2013

lmao at the Vadge defenders here. She most certainly ripped off Cyndi. It's no coincidence that she grew her hair out and wore it on the side just like Cyndi was doing and wore similar outfits-ones she didn't wear in 1982/early 1983. Vadge's MO is to go through phases with her looks. Sometimes she would copy her influences and other times imitate other starlets who were hot at the time.

Vadge was all about "shock" and "controversy" to middle america because her voice alone wouldn't attract much attention. Her career is based on gimmicks-from her ever-changing looks to making sure she "shocks" middle america with hot topics like religion and sex. She's also the biggest famewhore as far as stars go (I'm not including reality tv trash). The lengths she went and still goes to get attention is what made her so famous and popular with some gurls and gays.

When you break it down, she's not original or creative. She's creative in terms of how diverse her influences are, but she can't come up with good original ideas on her own, whether it's music or style.

by Anonymousreply 5107/28/2013

R51 Madonna began growing her hair out and dying it crazy colors in late '82, around the time the Everybody single was released.

Cydi didn't debut until a year later in the fall of '83.

Madonna has always given credit to the artists that have influenced her.

If Madonna is a "famewhore" than how come she always strives to keep her personal life private

If Madonna does do something that is considered controversial of gets attention, it's through her art, her work, whether it be a new video, concert performance or album

It's because Madonna has always been a political artist and she has something to say through her WORK and now in her own way she's taking on ageism.

That's the complete opposite of the Kardashian's who are famous for being famous and have no point of view whatsoever

by Anonymousreply 5207/28/2013

R46, but Amy Winehouse was a one-hit wonder. Something Madonna could never be accused of being.

by Anonymousreply 5307/28/2013

It's cute than any of you old fucks think anyone gives a shit what you think about anything.

by Anonymousreply 5407/28/2013

Madonna sure gets more attention from you bashers than from even her fans. And every time it happens here on DL, we are only reminded again that Madonna has sold more records than any woman in the history of Earth and that she has one billion dollars in her back pocket, a stud for a boyfriend, a huge house taking up 1/3rd of a block on the upper east side of Manhattan----and she is adored by many more than just the 2.2 million fans who attended her concerts last year.

Thanks for reminding us, buddy!

by Anonymousreply 5507/28/2013

R55 and yet she's still a miserable, unhappy bitch. One would think with all her achievements she'd be a kind, happy woman but she is the opposite. Clearly all the cheating, lying and stealing she did to reach her status in pop culture prevents her from true happiness. She can fuck all the young studs she wants to but they don't seem to satisfy anything other than her ego. She's an insecure old broad.

by Anonymousreply 5607/28/2013

R56 do you know for a fact that she's miserable and unhappy? She seems pretty happy to me. Steve Bray, one of Madonna's old collaborators from back in the day just did an interview with Attitude magazine where he called Madonna extremely talented and said he would love to work with her again

by Anonymousreply 5707/28/2013

R56 what cheating, lying and stealing? Are these delusions in your mind because you hate her so much?

Madonna writes the lyrics to about 90% of her songs, with her co producer writing the music. Fact.

Madonna's success is a testament to hard work, drive and dedication. It's the American dream realized.

While others come and go and even destroy their legacy by becoming drug addicts like Jacko, George Michael and never wrote a song in her life, or danced or play instruments (Madonna does all the above) Whitney Houston

by Anonymousreply 5807/28/2013

R57 if she were a happy person, she wouldn't mistreat people the way she does. From her stupid fans (who accept this mistreatment), to the people who work for her, to staff members at venues and hotels, Vadge is a fucking bitch. There are countless stories. Anyone who is happy in life would not behave that way. She has always had this attitude.

Of course Bray is going to say that-she was his meal ticket. Do you really think he's going to say "I did all the work and she's not talented" ?

by Anonymousreply 5907/28/2013

Can we get back to talking about the Madonna debut album?

by Anonymousreply 6007/28/2013

I thought she was black when I first heard Holiday. I remember being surprised that she was white when the video premiered on MTV.

by Anonymousreply 6107/28/2013

R59 anybody can make stories up, especially with the internet don't believe everything you hear or read.

As for Bray, well they haven't worked together since 1989 and in 1996, they had a falling out after he went behind her back and released a CD called Pre-Madonna of their early recordings together.

After that, it became unlikely that she would ever work with him again, thus Bray could say anything he wanted too about her.

All the people who work with Madonna say the same things that Madonna is the hardest working performer they worked with and that she's a great lyricist and co producer

Babyface said that Madonna is the first person in the recording studio everyday and the last person to leave

Justin Timberlake complained about her "insane work ethic" and never even taking a break when Hard Candy came out.

by Anonymousreply 6207/28/2013

Here's the video for "Holiday," which for whatever reasons was never released. Madonna's brother Chris is one of the backup dancers.

by Anonymousreply 6307/28/2013

For someone who trained as a dancer, why did her early dancing always look so...amateur?

by Anonymousreply 6407/28/2013

R56, YOU are the insecure old broad

by Anonymousreply 6507/28/2013

Madonna is an old, talentless whore.

by Anonymousreply 6607/28/2013

^Is probably 47 and spent last night sucking anonymous cock at the local adult book store.

by Anonymousreply 6707/28/2013

^Morbidly obese 32 year old that still lives in a studio apartment with three cats and Spice Girls bedsheets. Eats her feelings.

by Anonymousreply 6807/28/2013

The time is now 3:28 pm.

At the tone, Madonna will STILL be an old, talentless whore.

by Anonymousreply 6907/28/2013

Was the word virgin bleeped out back then , R19?

by Anonymousreply 7007/28/2013

Oh dear!

R51 still uses expressions like LMAO in 2013.

by Anonymousreply 7107/28/2013

[quote]^Morbidly obese 32 year old that still lives in a studio apartment with three cats and Spice Girls bedsheets. Eats her feelings.

Actually, I am 36 years old, 6'4, 180lbs, live in my own 3 bedroom home with just one cat and have never owned a Spice Girls bedsheet. I do admit then when I was a little kid, I did have a Mickey Mouse sleeping bag. Eat my feelings? Don't exactly know where you are trying to go with this. I do love to cook (have taken several classes) and entertain for friends on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 7207/28/2013

R72, 36 and no partner yet? Red, RED flag!

by Anonymousreply 7307/28/2013

Reggie Lucas talks about working with Madonna on the album that started it all:

by Anonymousreply 7407/29/2013

r46, that makes sense but it is incredibly hard if you think about it. It means going back to what Olivia Newton John was before "Physical". Wholesome sweetness and being goody-goody. But it can't wash in this Age of Internet, where everyone tears down the illusion before the paint dries.

Taylor Swift was kind of the anti-Madonna, until we learned very quickly she's a creepy little whore.

by Anonymousreply 7507/29/2013

r63 the scrapped video for Holiday has never been seen. That clip you posted is her performance on legendary UK music show The Tube, she was the only artist in the show's history to mime; pretty embarrassing.

There are several performances of Holiday, the one of her on Top of the Pops was used as a video sometimes, there was one on French TV but the closest one to a video that was used most often was the Solid Gold performance.

Apparently the Holiday video had her with baby dreadlocks dancing to a hot pink backdrop so it most likely was done at the time of the i-D cover.

Physical Attraction was a double A-side to Burning Up, not Everybody. But this is only a technicality, it was that way in the clubs but it's known as a classic album track. Only 8 tracks on the album anyway.

by Anonymousreply 7607/29/2013

Her performance of Holiday in r63's link has her wearing the same exact outfit she wore in the Lucky Star video.

I love 80s' performances - the guy in the bed behind them was so weird. It meant nothing, but in the 80s, it was postmod.

by Anonymousreply 7707/29/2013

Also regarding r63's link - that black chick was an early Madonna hanger-on before Madonna hit it big. She used to be on the talk shows in the 90s talking about how much she loved Madonna and how once Madonna kisses someone, they have essentially reliquished control to her.

by Anonymousreply 7807/29/2013

Does anyone actually think calling her "Vadge" is clever or witty? I remember Michael K on D Listed calling her that back in 2005 or so and, yeah, it elicited some chuckles. But almost 10 years later? It's played out and says more about the nutters who still use it than it does about Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 7907/29/2013

r79 - you've got to get some action, dude.

by Anonymousreply 8007/29/2013

R74 thanks for the link. It reaffirms the notions that Vadge is professional in the studio, but that she is an ungrateful, lying, disloyal bitch. Of course the first album was done mostly for her by people who knew what they were doing. Without them to guide her, her career would have never taken off. For her to go on in the future to make it seem like Lucas didn't do much, or that she and Jellybean were more important as far as the album is concerned is a joke. It's also quite telling that she never communicated with him again or even thanked him. The notion that she just uses people and then leaves them behind is a pattern in her career. Nile Rogers was more famous than Lucas so of course for her next album she went with him.

The part about Lucas giving her that signature Moog Bass sound was also very interesting, as we hear it in a lot of her 80s sounds. If she didn't have that, her songs wouldn't have sounded so good.

Finally, Lucas confirms what those of us who know music already knew; Vadge did not make groundbreaking music. Those sounds were already out there. She simply was groundbreaking for middle American whites who didn't listen to black r&b and disco. For whatever reason, that audience only appreciated those sounds coming from a white girl who couldn't really sing and looked dirty.

by Anonymousreply 8107/29/2013

Actually I was wrong again, that wasn't from The Tube, it was French TV apparently, but many of them look very similar so it's hard to tell.

There's a lot of Holidays and too many to post but this playlist has a shitload of live TV appearances.

by Anonymousreply 8207/29/2013

Madonna stole every 'idea' she ever had. There's not an ounce of creativity in her.

by Anonymousreply 8307/29/2013

Yep, we've heard that many times, r83, bt thanks for repeating it.

by Anonymousreply 8407/29/2013

Just imagine where Vadge would be if those other singers had never turned down "Holiday", if she didn't have that great producer Lucas to take control of her debut album, or if she had never given her pussy up to Jellybean so he would remix her tracks? This woman is such a selfish, manipulative user. Her own natural talent was never enough so she needs a team of people to make her sound passable to the human ear.

by Anonymousreply 8507/29/2013

She might be even richer and even more popular!

Meanwhile, Janet Jackson is still in her lead coffin with a stake pounded through her heart.

by Anonymousreply 8607/29/2013

And at least Madonna didn't get pregnant, give birth to a child and abandon that child like Janet Jackson did. Jackson is untalented pig and child abuser.

by Anonymousreply 8707/29/2013

[quote]While others come and go and even destroy their legacy by becoming drug addicts like Jacko, George Michael and never wrote a song in her life, or danced or play instruments (Madonna does all the above) Whitney Houston

Yes, but Whitney was never a writer, dancer or player of instruments; she was singer, and one of the most talented we've ever known (something Madonna isn't very good at). She's in very good company: Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Elvis Presley, and many others who were not songwriters, just interpreters of song, and brilliant ones at that. Madonna isn't the best singer or dancer, and she's as much a writer as Beyonce (slapping her name on songs after changing a lyric or two).

by Anonymousreply 8807/29/2013

r87, musically speaking, Madonna is just as untalented.

by Anonymousreply 8907/29/2013

I want to know who the next pop icon is going to be

by Anonymousreply 9007/30/2013

R75, you're right about the Age of the Internet. People are much more abreast of all the PR and image control bullshit that celebrities pull now.

Also, the problem with outrageous/non-goody goody pop stars is that that whole look is just played out. Nothing is very shocking anymore, especially not women taking their clothes off and singing about sex.

by Anonymousreply 9107/30/2013

Pop music is dead. No more Beatles, Elvises MJ's and Madonnas or even Springsteens, Whitneys or Princes. No one will shift albums in such volumes anymore.

by Anonymousreply 9207/30/2013

R92, pop music WOULD be alive if artists made better music and released albums with a coherent theme. I think Adele proved this pretty well.

Where are all the good songwriters? Instead of rehashing pop music from different eras and filtering it through a drum machine and an arpeggiator, I wish there were more producers that created lush records with actual structure and a story. Intro, verse, pre-chorus, chorus, verse, pre-chorus, chorus, bridge, chorus. Everything now has a 1-2 beat and some shit trancey synths over it.

by Anonymousreply 9307/30/2013

[quote]still uses expressions like LMAO in 2013.

Yeah, I mean God forbid people use internet acronyms on the internet or anything.

by Anonymousreply 9407/30/2013

Where ARE all the songwriters? The world was full of them - especially the 70s - but now it appears no one knows how to actually write a song.

by Anonymousreply 9507/30/2013

Well, when you have the likes of Madonna passing themselves off as songwriters ...

by Anonymousreply 9607/30/2013

R96, well...Madonna DID win those grammys for most of the songs written by herself. Are you saying you know more than the grammy committee?

by Anonymousreply 9707/30/2013

Yeah, R96-you think you know more than the Grammy committee?

by Anonymousreply 9807/30/2013

R97 get real hunty. There are tons of recording acts who have won grammys who really didn't deserve them. Vadge is part of that group. Most overrated female recording act of all time.

by Anonymousreply 9907/30/2013

R81 is a good read and a good laugh. I love it when people put their psychosis on display for the world to view, like our very own dear little R81

by Anonymousreply 10107/30/2013

[quote]but now it appears no one knows how to actually write a song.

Do you live in a basement? No one today knows how to write a song?

What at stupid thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 10207/30/2013

R101 , R81 is not displaying psychosis. He/she was posting the truth about this woman. She is not talented as a singer, dancer or songwriter. Her best talent is using people to elevate her career/status and then dropping them. I realize it's hard for you Vadge stans to accept this, but the woman is a fraud.

by Anonymousreply 10307/30/2013

[quote]We have good reason to believe she doesn't contribute significantly to the songs she claims to have written.

Her songs have a few consistent themes that run throughout her work and are very autobiographical.

Do you really think a jobbing songwriter could have come up with what was on American Life? Not to mention that her recent lyrics are so bad that they could only have come from her, no way would a pro-songwriter have done that.

She does try and get her name on credits, but nowhere near as bad as Beyonce who flat out steals songs and production credits. That girl can barely string a sentence together let alone write.

The handwritten lyrics for some Madonna songs like Erotica have been put up for auction.

by Anonymousreply 10407/30/2013

"She could afford to be a little magnanimous and a little less of a cunt". - Cher

by Anonymousreply 10507/30/2013

I guess this 106 posts in this thread answers the question, "Is Madonna Relevant?" which so often pops up here on DL by haters with voices like dog whistles.

Nobody does it better than Madonna. Nobody.

by Anonymousreply 10607/30/2013

More posts about Madonna's 30 year old albumn than a certain someone's upcoming album.

by Anonymousreply 10707/30/2013

R104 you're wrong about Madonna. She's just as bad as Beyonce as far as stealing credits goes. She has a history of doing that. When a Madonna song has all poor and simple lyrics, we know she wrote it herself. When a Madonna song seems more advanced or interesting and she's listed as writer or co-writer, there's a good chance she stole the credits.

Who else would buy lyrics from a fucking GAP commercial? That's right, the bitch bought the lyrics of the poem and put it into the song. Only she and Leonard are listed as writers though...hmmm. Not to mention she was taken to court for the song "Justify My Love". Ingrid Chavez wrote the song and only got her name listed as co-writer after successfully suing this fraud. There are countless other examples.

by Anonymousreply 10807/30/2013

Eh, say what you want about her, what OTHER pop star has managed to reach her level? They're all copying her. Why don't some of these current pop stars or more "talented" people blaze their own path and change the industry?

by Anonymousreply 10907/31/2013

r36 Here's a thought, how about you blame the actual writer of Papa Don't Preach instead of Madonna. If you think she'd come up with an entire melody and lyrics that strong then you're quite the flatterer.

It was a rip from Sugar Don't Bite but a much better song than that forgotten footnote. The end result was better than the source. It's more akin to being her "Billie Jean".

r108 Again, could you at least do your research first. Justify, like Papa Don't Preach, is one where Madonna didn't write the song.

Lenny Kravitz took the whole credit from protege Ingrid Chavez (it was suspicious since nothing that good had come from Kravitz). As with Papa, Madonna did try and get her name on the credits (as additional lyrics) but here she had to concede she didn't write the song.

I didn't hear about the Gap commercial, interesting.. maybe that has something to do with Gap's use of Dress You Up shortly afterward.

Madonna stole a bit of poetry for Sanctuary, but this is also hardly new. Even acclaimed lyricists like Morrissey have by their own admission stole lines directly from poetry/books/plays/films. The Verve and Oasis directly took lines from well known poetry.

It was said about Madonna that she was like a sponge, absorbing all these influences. As long as the end result is good and not too obvious is what matters.

Take Hung Up - largely built on an ABBA sample but has a distinct melody on top, that's very different to source track "Gimme Gimme Gimme". That's a great use of a sample. Likewise "Vogue" is culled from several songs to create something new. Straight up plagiarism like the Hollywood video is another matter.

Madonna was the first real post-modern pop star so of course is derivative. You only need look at a book of Monroe photos to see that. The influences come from a much wider area than that, from obscure paintings or references to old world cinema classics. There's a load of lesser known ones that haven't been picked up on.

by Anonymousreply 11007/31/2013

Listening to this demo, you can safely say where Madonna got the inspiration to write "Where's The Party" and "Spotlight":

by Anonymousreply 11107/31/2013

This demo of "Girl Gone Wild" gives you an idea of Madonna's practice of changing lyrics:

by Anonymousreply 11207/31/2013

Girl Gone Wild and Heartbeat are definite ones she had nothing to do with, yes.

That song at r111 is a well known fake that actually steals from "Open Your Heart".

Speaking of Open Your Heart, this singer did the first version before Madonna's came out. How she got a hold of it I don't know, but there's also demos for OYH and La Isla afaik.

by Anonymousreply 11307/31/2013

Madge is a lyricist and melodicist (?) for the most part. Yes, she's absolutely gotten credit for only changing a few things in some songs, but those songs don't make up the bulk of her work. Just look at most, not all, of her collaborators. They're producers or instrument players. They need someone like Madge to complete a song and she needs them as well. It's a perfect arrangement.

by Anonymousreply 11407/31/2013

R110, yes this woman bought the lyrics from a Gap commercial for her song "Sky Fits Heaven". The commercial had a poem and she paid to use the lyrics, changed around 1 or 2 words, and took all the writing credit with Leonard. Beyonce learned from this bitch quite well.

As for "Justify My Love", Kravitz was initially credited as lead writer with Vadge getting co-writing. It was only after Chavez heard the song and saw the album credits that she decided to sue. She didn't know Kravitz and Vadge took her song. If she didn't sue them, she wouldn't have been listed as co-writer.

Vadge had to reach and out-of-court settlement when sued by Lebanese singer Fairuz over Vadge's song "Erotica". This bitch has no fucking shame and it's amazing how she can sleep at night with the amount of people she stolen from or used up and thrown away.

Anyone who believes she's a spiritual, goodhearted woman is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 11507/31/2013

The more I read about Madonna as a post-modern star, the more I realize just HOW MUCH Lady Gaga tried to rip her off. Just Google "madonna as postmodern icon" and you'll see where Gaga got her popstar-as-a-work-of-art schtick from

by Anonymousreply 11607/31/2013

The apogee of postmodernism pop, though, is of course Madonna. She is Marilyn Monroe at one moment, Marlene Dietrich the next; she is sadomasochist, virgin, material girl, wearer of the cross; she is the iconoclast feverishly invoking iconography, the eternal shape-shifter obsessed with her body, the image maker; she is brilliant; she endures; and yet she is a terrible actor, a clumsy and effortful dancer and an unexceptional singer. The over-styling, the celebrity-from-scratch, the referencing, the collation of images, the intensely self-conscious mediation with the audience, the whole stopping-making-sense-while-saying-something-about-sense-itself—that’s postmodernism.

by Anonymousreply 11707/31/2013

That is a great article, R117. And I agree with what he said at the end about looking for expertise now.

by Anonymousreply 11807/31/2013

[quote]Anyone who believes she's a spiritual, goodhearted woman is an idiot.

As one who is a hardcore fan, but a critical one, I don't believe this either. I've only posted info and trivia here and am not doing a deluded stan's defence like those wretched bots.

For the record, even many of her hardcore fans think/know she is a cunt. You don't have to like the person to like the music, which most certainly is the case for my other fave Morrissey.

Nevertheless I didn't pluck that from nowhere of course, Madonna was only EVER credited for "additional lyrics by" so is not saying she wrote the song or had anything to do with its genesis. I'm pretty sure it's listed that way in The Immaculate Collection booklet. Chavez may well indeed have named Madonna in the suit (and I'm sure she did) but Madonna didn't try and take credit that time. As with Like a Virgin and Material Girl, though the song could feasibly be hers and is tailored to her, the lyrics are a bit too clever and beyond her grasp.

All the same, she did do some good lyrics at times - Like a Prayer in particular is genius. Come to think of it, another controversial one and also with a choir is Nothing Fails. Now I think that's a dud of a song, but that seems to be one where she took credit - this time from Welsh singer Jem.

Sometimes she has absolutely deserved credit for adding to a song - check the demo of Joe Henry's "Stop" and compare it to "Don't Tell Me". Her brother-in-law Henry is a collaborator she needs back if she wants to do anything resembling embarrassing non-kiddie music. Sky Fits Heaven may have come from The Gap but Candy Perfume Girl famously comes from a fridge magnet poetry kit.

by Anonymousreply 11907/31/2013

I agree with the posters who say that she was ahead of her time in mass-marketing herself as some outre "brand". It was different then. When people like GaGa attempt it and pass it off as "social commentary", it rings hollow and looks phony. Madge *was* the real deal and that image has endured in the present day moreso than her vastly more talented contemporaries like Cyndi Lauper, Laura Brannigan, Annie Lennox and even Sade.

by Anonymousreply 12007/31/2013

Ok - thank you, r115. You can now sleep better at night knowing you have enlightened us all.

by Anonymousreply 12107/31/2013

"Open Your Heart" was offered to Cyndi Lauper first; she turned it down.

"La Isla Bonita" was offered to Michael Jackson first; he turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 12207/31/2013

I didn't know that, R122. Surprising, since it's a staple of her concert repertoire.

by Anonymousreply 12307/31/2013

R121 Vadgestan, face the truth. This woman lies, cheats, steals and has no shame about any of it. It's laughable when she goes around lecturing people about helping others etc. There is no female entertainer who is more selfish and downright evil than Vadge. I'm convinced she's a sociopath as she never seems to have remorse about anything she has done to reach her status.

by Anonymousreply 12407/31/2013

That is true, r122, but only as demos, they were retooled with Madge getting a credit.

I think La Isla was heard by Jacko as an instrumental. He went on to do the similar and also classic Liberian Girl.

I don't remember much of them but I believe the demos of both songs are available. Certainly Gardner Cole's version was released when he was interviewed about it by a fansite.

When Cyndi was offered it, it was called "Follow Your Heart". You can see the version by that South American bitch at r113 wasn't a patch on Madge's eventual release.

by Anonymousreply 12508/01/2013

R115 obviously has some seriously demented ax to grind. I would not take anything she says seriously.

by Anonymousreply 12608/01/2013

R124, clearly the only sociopath around here is you. You seriously need help with you anger issues. Now tell us how much you are in love with Robert Goulet!, Robert Goulet!, Robert Goulet!

by Anonymousreply 12708/01/2013

r124, I didn't say you were lying. It's just you are the millionth person who likes to say the same thing that has been said again and again like it is something new that has never been heard. We've all heard it. We got it.

by Anonymousreply 12808/01/2013

R128, I believe the psycho was talking to me, not to you. Go ahead, psycho. I'm listening.

by Anonymousreply 12908/01/2013

R126 / R127 / R129 , actually R115 speaks the truth. If you don't want to believe Madonna did all those things, then you're just a delusional stan. Madonna is the queen of plagiarism. She has done it for the last 30 years and won't stop. Her fans don't care, but people who know real music do and can see through her copycat rip off act.

by Anonymousreply 13008/01/2013

And of course YOU know "real" music. You are a horse's arse.

by Anonymousreply 13108/01/2013

Vadge's last album cover also looks VERY similar to an Italian singer's album that was released 5 years before.

by Anonymousreply 13208/01/2013

Billboard article

by Anonymousreply 13308/01/2013

[quote]Madge is a lyricist and melodicist (?) for the most part.

Other than change a few lyrics to get her name on credits, which melodies has she written, seriously?

by Anonymousreply 13408/03/2013

Everybody changes a lyric or two to get a writing credit and more royalties. Everybody. It's not just Madonna; that's a given in the music business.

by Anonymousreply 13508/03/2013

Faith, Father Figure, One More Try, Kissing a Fool, Praying for Time, Freedom '90 ... All beautiful melodies, with grown up, complex and clever, flowing lyrics. Guess what these songs have in common? One name on the songwriting credits ... George Michael. Yes, just the one name, no collaborators or anything. Now THAT is talent in songwriting.

by Anonymousreply 13608/03/2013

Ladies and gentlemen...George Michael, who has graciously stopped sucking a homeless man's cock long enough to post here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 13708/04/2013

R131 so because you don't like reading the truth about this despicable woman, you resort to name-calling. You're the perfect Vadge stan.

by Anonymousreply 13808/04/2013

[quote]And Madonna turns 70 today!

LMAO! No, silly - that's on the 16th!

And still booty poppin to this day!

by Anonymousreply 13908/04/2013

She's become a caricature. Good for a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 14008/04/2013

Yes, R140, we will remember that the next time Lady GaGa shows up in a meat dress.

by Anonymousreply 14108/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!