Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you like poetry?

I'm starting to read poetry. It's not as time-consuming as reading novels and I find some witty and insightful. I know lots of people who don't like it. Do you like it and which authors do you follow? Can you recommend me some good poetry. Thanks :)

by Anonymousreply 7102/11/2015

Good thread, OP. I want to get into it now, too. Hope some people have some good recommendations about current poetry/poets.

by Anonymousreply 107/26/2013

Langston Hughes Green memory et al

Emily Dickinson all of them

Robert Hayden (those winter Sundays )

Nikki Giovanni (balances)

Liesel Mueller night song

Anne Bradstreet

by Anonymousreply 207/27/2013

Philip Larkin

Frederick Seidel

by Anonymousreply 307/27/2013

As with music, I select poetry to suit my mood. I've picked up some great anthologies at second hand book stores for next to nothing and they've introduced me to new poets as well as allowed me to read my favourites. At the moment I am working on Anne Sexton's collected poems.

by Anonymousreply 407/27/2013

Charles Bukowski

William Butler Yeats

Elizabeth Bishop

Uncle Walt

by Anonymousreply 507/27/2013

Aaargh, I really, really hate poetry. The only good poet is a dead poet, and by 'good' I mean 'marginally less annoying than when breathing'. As opposed to, say, interesting. Or fun.

Is there room on the DL for a Poetry Troll?

by Anonymousreply 607/27/2013

Are you interested in classics or contemporary poetry, OP?

by Anonymousreply 707/27/2013

Greek lyric poets Basho - narrow road to the deep north Japanese linked poetry and poetic diaries (trans by Miner) Haiku (trans by blyth) 4 vols Shakespeare's sonnets Pablo Neruda Ezra pound (bad man, great poet) Robinson Jeffers William Carlos Williams Bertolt Brecht Ginsberg Gary Snyder Ferlinghetti Wendell berry Robert Bly

by Anonymousreply 807/27/2013

[quote]Do you like poetry?

Not really, no. But I find it utterly charming you started a thread like this in a den of vipers like this. Bravo to you.

by Anonymousreply 907/27/2013

A few miscellaneous favorites--

Adam Zagajewski

Louise Gluck

John Spaulding

Philip Levine

William Stafford

Cavafy

by Anonymousreply 1007/27/2013

8 again. Sorry for word wrap without punctuation. And Lehman engel's "their words are music" is a great anthology of bway lyrics as poetry (and lyrics). Then kimball's lyrics of ... Are great too.

by Anonymousreply 1107/27/2013

My advice is to not get our approval; instead, seek out a poetry group, or a teacher who can give you some insight.

Poetry has given me great solace in a troubled world. And one who experienced so much pain is the ancient Job, of The Bible. He spoke poetically about his sufferings. We, homosexuals, can readily understand his trials, and how he coped.

by Anonymousreply 1207/27/2013

Yes, I love poetry.

by Anonymousreply 1307/27/2013

Here

by Anonymousreply 1407/27/2013

Jack wiler. Great nj poet, now gone from aids.

by Anonymousreply 1507/27/2013

Hate it with a white hot passion.

by Anonymousreply 1607/27/2013

Why would someone hate poetry?

R6? R16?

by Anonymousreply 1707/27/2013

One fish

two fish

red fish

blue fish

by Anonymousreply 1807/27/2013

worst high school torture -

having to dissect poems and short stories for hours on end.

Frankly, I have never gotten over it!

by Anonymousreply 1907/27/2013

WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE?

(except you, R16. Owzit)

by Anonymousreply 2007/27/2013

I have friends who have poetry parties.

Bring a poem you wrote or you like and read it.

Food and drink and poetry.

Great fun.

by Anonymousreply 2107/27/2013

No.

by Anonymousreply 2207/27/2013

You know, I think it's the sheer tedium...

by Anonymousreply 2307/27/2013

...although those never-ending English essays in school certainly didn't help...

by Anonymousreply 2407/27/2013

R19, that's the problem. I like poetry, but far too many people get turned off by the way it's taught. I'm Canadian and I still recall the pain of having to read obscure Canadian writers from the l800's who wrote about the cry of the loon and moose in some swamp. And what was with those teachers that made us get up in front of the class and recite an entire work from memory?

by Anonymousreply 2507/27/2013

I absolutely love love poetry. OP you should start a thread and have the poetry lovers post on of their favorite poems. That would be certainly be more interesting than the usual tripe posted here. (e.g. one direction, fast food, hate mongering threads)

by Anonymousreply 2607/27/2013

Not Op, but I want to know who is good in contemporary poetry. I know the old poets, having studied English literature. Wondering if I am missing something.

by Anonymousreply 2707/27/2013

Here I sit, broken-hearted...

...had to shit but only farted.

by Anonymousreply 2807/27/2013

There once was a man from Nantucket...

by Anonymousreply 2907/27/2013

LOL r9!

The first poet I thought of when I saw your thread OP was Christine Rossetti. I believe she wrote poetry in England in the late 1800's?Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

by Anonymousreply 3007/27/2013

Yes R26, that does sound like fun. Perhaps you could also include your favourite knitting patterns and methods for labelling condiment jars?

by Anonymousreply 3107/27/2013

OP, that's nothing to be ashamed of. Alot of tall girls who couldn't get dates wrote poetry in high school.

by Anonymousreply 3207/27/2013

I love poetry, both traditional and modern.

by Anonymousreply 3307/27/2013

One of my favorites is For Annie by Poe. He said it was his best and people still try to decipher it's meaning.

by Anonymousreply 3407/27/2013

R31 How cute of you. Actually your suggestions (a mediocre attempt at witty sarcasm) also sound more entertaining than another Harry Styles, fast food or I hate everything and everybody because I'm a stupid bitter ass cunt thread. Although i do realize that most of you would rather continue to wallow in the usual tripe. Maybe someone will start a new Henry Cavill thread today. Oh goody goody gum drops.

by Anonymousreply 3507/27/2013

I love poetry and have bookshelves of it. Lots of first editions too. With the internet, however, it seems like everyone is writing poetry and no one is reading it. There are tons of blogs and sites where you can post poems, but most of them are not very good--which makes me think that the writers are not reading poetry. However, there are all types of poetry for all types of people--you don't have to like it all, or even the most popular. But there is some poet out there that will speak to you. Fo me, right now, it's Cavafy.

by Anonymousreply 3607/27/2013

A friend gave be a copy of Echoes of Memory by Irish poet John O'Donohue. It's a spellbinding collection of poems.

by Anonymousreply 3707/27/2013

We get it, R6. Now shut the FUCK up.

by Anonymousreply 3807/27/2013

*farts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

by Anonymousreply 3907/27/2013

Paul Verlaine of course, "The Gay Heritage"

We don't belong to the herd:

That's why we play the while

Far away from the shepherdesses

Without falsehood or guile.

Lovers who would be friends...

Without vows, always true,

Free-hearted, without promises -

Such are we and our virtue.

We count an illustrative lineage

Of princes and sages,

Of heroes and demigods,

At all times, in all ages.

In days of brilliance and of woe

Great Glory granted us her grace;

Our strength was her vanity,

The proud laughter on her face.

In the baths of ancient Rome

We flowered in deference;

Poets on each and every side

Celebrated us with such eloquence!

Among the moderns we have

Our Shakespeares and our Fredericks.

Our hosts, rank upon rank,

Have gone forth to conquer bailiwicks.

From the realms of medieval law,

When jealous people, hard Jehovahs,

Killers of men and women,

Fell upon our Sodoms and Gomorrahs....

(unfinished, 1903)

by Anonymousreply 4007/27/2013

*bites R40's ass

by Anonymousreply 4107/28/2013

Suggest starting out with someone like Billy Collins or Mary Oliver if you're not too much into contemporary poetry.

by Anonymousreply 4207/28/2013

When you feel comfortable jumping into more abstract stuff, I'd suggest Frank O'Hara. One of the great gay poets of the 20th century.

Lana Turner has collapsed!

I was trotting along and suddenly

it started raining and snowing

and you said it was hailing

but hailing hits you on the head

hard so it was really snowing and

raining and I was in such a hurry

to meet you but the traffic

was acting exactly like the sky

and suddenly I see a headline

LANA TURNER HAS COLLAPSED!

there is no snow in Hollywood

there is no rain in California

I have been to lots of parties

and acted perfectly disgraceful

but I never actually collapsed

oh Lana Turner we love you get up

by Anonymousreply 4307/28/2013

One of my favorite lyrics from Sweeney Todd, when Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett are considering who to slaughter next...

"The trouble with poets is how do you know it's deceased? Try the priest.."

by Anonymousreply 4407/28/2013

I'm a Thomas Hardy fan, and this one, which he wrote near the end of his life, is a nice summation of his worldview:

Well, World, you have kept faith with me,

Kept faith with me;

Upon the whole you have proved to be

Much as you said you were.

Since as a child I used to lie

Upon the leaze and watch the sky,

Never, I own, expected I

That life would all be fair.

'Twas then you said, and since have said,

Times since have said,

In that mysterious voice you shed

From clouds and hills around:

"Many have loved me desperately,

Many with smooth serenity,

While some have shown contempt of me

Till they dropped underground.

"I do not promise overmuch,

Child; overmuch;

Just neutral-tinted haps and such,"

You said to minds like mine.

Wise warning for your credit's sake!

Which I for one failed not to take,

And hence could stem such strain and ache

As each year might assign.

by Anonymousreply 4507/28/2013

Delighted to see Cavafy mentioned. Gerard Manley Hopkins has the supplest rhythms--a tragedy that he destroyed most of his secular work. Even in translation, Rilke is magical.

by Anonymousreply 4607/28/2013

Good suggestion, R42. I'd also add Kay Ryan. She's excellent.

by Anonymousreply 4707/28/2013

Saying you hate all poetry is like saying you hate all music, or all stories. It only belies the fact that you've clearly never been exposed to any outside of whatever crap you muddled through during the one quarter of poetry studies in your 12th grade English class, or whatever.

As someone else said already, poetry is like music and each poet will be good only when you're in the mood for her or his style.

OP if you go to poets.org you can sign up for their poem-a-day email. It's a decent way to get a little taste of everything and if something speaks to you, look for more by that author.

Billy Collins selected poems from contemporary poets for two collections: Poetry 180 and 180 More, and those are very accessible and a good jumping off point.

I'm glad you started this thread and I'm making notes of new poets to look into for myself.

by Anonymousreply 4807/28/2013

As Much As You Can

And if you can’t shape your life the way you want, at least try as much as you can not to degrade it by too much contact with the world, by too much activity and talk.

Try not to degrade it by dragging it along, taking it around and exposing it so often to the daily silliness of social events and parties, until it comes to seem a boring hanger-on.

Translated by Edmund Keeley/Philip Sherrard

(C.P. Cavafy, Collected Poems. Translated by Edmund Keeley and Philip Sherrard. Edited by George Savidis. Revised Edition. Princeton University Press, 1992)

by Anonymousreply 4907/28/2013

In spite of the negativity by some posters, there seem to be a lot of DL posters who do like poetry and who read poetry. I am a poet myself with many publications, and I am impressed with lots of these reponses! That's great!! Congrats DL!

by Anonymousreply 5007/30/2013

My favorite poem is "Oiche Nollaig na mBan" by Sean O’Riordain. It's heartbreakingly beautiful and sad.

Oiche Nollaig na mBan"

Bhi fuinneamh sa stoirm a ealaigh areir,

Areir Oiche Nollaig na mBan,

As gealt-teach iargulta ‘ta laistiar den re

is do scread trid an speir chughainn ‘na gealt,

Gur ghiosc geatai comharsan mar ghogallach ge,

Gur bhuir abhainn slaghdanach mar tharbh,

Gur muchadh mo choinneal mar bhuille ar mo bheal

A las ‘na splanc obann an fhearg.

Ba mhaith liom go dtiocfadh an stoirm sin fein

An oiche go mbeadsa go lag

Ag filleadh abhaile o rince an tsaoil

Is solas an pheaca ag dul as,

Go lionfai gach neomat le liuraigh on speir,

Go ndeanfai don domhan scuaine scread,

Is na cloisfinn an ciuneas ag gluaiseacht fam dhein,

Na inneal an ghluaisteain ag stad.

I'll try ti translate it best I can.

Epiphany Night

There was pounding in the storm that escaped last night

last night, the night of Epiphany,

From a mad-house remtoe which is behind the moon,

and screeched through to us coming as a madman,

so that the neighbours gate creaked like the gaggling of geese

And that of a coughing river bellowed in bull like manner

so that my candle was extinguished like a blow on the face

which lit spark like in anger

I hope such a storm will come to me

The night I will be weak

As I return home from the dance of life

and the glowing of sin on the wane

that every moment might be filled with screaming from the sky,

that the world will be made up of a tumult of screams,

so I would not hear the silence moving toward me

nor the engine of the car coming to a stop.

by Anonymousreply 5107/31/2013

Langston Hughes

It sings while you read it

by Anonymousreply 5207/31/2013

There are poets being published now, but I don't know who they are, or who is good, or how to really find out.

by Anonymousreply 5307/31/2013

Michael Blumenthal. Great contemporary poets. Google him.

by Anonymousreply 5407/31/2013

Thom Gunn

"Man with the Night Sweats" "Boss Cupid"

by Anonymousreply 5507/31/2013

If you're interested in a relatively unknown poet who's really, really good, I'd recommend this guy.

by Anonymousreply 5607/31/2013

My two favorites are 'The Second Coming' by Yeats and 'The Emperor of Ice Cream' by Wallace Stevens.

by Anonymousreply 5707/31/2013

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst Are full of passionate intensity."

The human condition exemplified in one sentence.

by Anonymousreply 5807/31/2013

I recommend T.S. Eliot's "Prufrock". It's long. Read it at least 10 times.

by Anonymousreply 5907/31/2013

Love it. Taught it.

Prefer the Cavalier and Romantic poets, Donne, Browning, Frost, Dickinson, L. Hughes, WWI English poets, among others.

by Anonymousreply 6007/31/2013

I'd steer clear of a lot of these suggestions if you're new to contemporary poetry. Stick with Billy Collins, Mary Oliver, Ted Kooser, any of those recommended by Garrison Keillor (he has a couple of anthologies and the online Writers Digest). Some of the others are good but might be a little tough at first. And all of the above are "living." (p.s. Billy Collins has anthologies too, which I think someone mentioned, and they are pretty good and more accessible.)

by Anonymousreply 6108/01/2013

"Ted Kooser"

Vile, R61. Why don't you just weaken the blood vessels in the man's brain, and then slap him viciously? Kooser is the worst 'major' poet of the modern era.

by Anonymousreply 6208/01/2013

This has been a great thread.

by Anonymousreply 6308/03/2013

Hey R62! Poetry is subjective like any art form--like music, like movies, like art, like fiction, etc. So not everybody likes the same thing. The fact that Kooser was U.S. Poet Laureate should tell you that someone likes him. So, if you don't, so what? Not everybody likes John Ashbery or Robert Pinsky either. Got it?

by Anonymousreply 6408/03/2013

I'm growing to like poetry.

by Anonymousreply 6508/05/2013

"Got it?"

No. Add me to the list of people who can't stand Ted Kooser, R62. Elementary school students have more insight into the human condition than that boring white hack, and Vietnamese nail salon workers fresh off the boat could write more artfully.

by Anonymousreply 6608/05/2013

my man e.e. has not been mentioned yet

by Anonymousreply 6708/05/2013

Yes, I like it...except for the poets who write poems only for other poets (which seems to be a lot of them these days!)

by Anonymousreply 6808/15/2013

Neruda

by Anonymousreply 6902/10/2015

Alden Nowlan: "Great Things Have Happened"

by Anonymousreply 7002/10/2015

Wednesday bump

by Anonymousreply 7102/11/2015
Need more help? Click Here.