Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Wal-Mart Slayer: How Publix's People-First Culture Is Winning The Grocer War

Family-run Publix is both the largest employee-owned company and the most profitable grocer in America. Those two facts are linked, and they might be the formula for fending off Bentonville’s retail behemoth.

Passing through Publix’s sliding doors to escape the blistering Lakeland, Fla. heat is a welcome relief, but it isn’t just the air-conditioning that jumps out at you. As you walk the aisles, bag boys and clerks in sage-green shirts and black aprons routinely smile and ask questions: “How are you today? Can we help you with anything?”

When a middle-aged woman asks about a box of crackers, no aisle number is blurted out. Instead, an employee races off to find the item, just as he is trained to do. At checkout, shoppers move to the front quickly, thanks to a two-customer-per-line goal enforced by proprietary, predictive staffing software. Baggers, a foggy memory at most large supermarket chains, carry purchases to the parking lot. Even Publix’s president, Todd Jones, who started out as a bagger 33 years ago, stoops down to pick up specks of trash on the store floor.

“We believe that there are three ways to differentiate: service, quality and price,” Jones says. “You’ve got to be good at two of them, and the best at one. We make service our number one, then quality and then price.”

If that’s a dig at Wal-Mart–traditional slogan: “Always low prices”–which has recently targeted Publix’s home turf, Florida, it’s a subtle one. The more direct retort comes via the numbers. As best we can tell, Publix is the most profitable grocery chain in the nation: Its net margins, 5.6% in 2012, trounced Wal-Mart’s (3.8%), as well as those of every public competitor, ranging from mass market Kroger (1.6%) to hoity-toity Whole Foods (3.9%).

Those numbers in a field notorious for razor-thin margins stem from another heady fact: Publix, the seventh-largest private company in the U.S. ($27.5 billion in sales) and one of the least understood thanks to decades of media reticence, is also the largest employee-owned company in America. For 83 years Publix has thrived by delivering top-rated service to its shoppers by turning thousands of its cashiers, baggers, butchers and bakers into the company’s largest collective shareholders. All staffers who have put in 1,000 work hours and a year of employment receive an additional 8.5% of their total pay in the form of Publix stock. (Though private, the board sets the stock price every quarter based on an independent valuation; it’s pegged at $26.90 now, up nearly 20% already this year.) How rich can employees get? According to Publix, a store manager who has worked at the company for 20 years and earns between $100,000 and $130,000 likely has $300,000 in stock and has received another $30,000 in dividends.

The route to that payday is completely transparent. Publix almost exclusively promotes from within, and every store displays advancement charts showing the path each employee can take to become a manager. Fifty-eight thousand of the company’s 159,000 employees have officially registered their interest in advancement. Associates are encouraged to rotate through various divisions, from grocery to real estate to distribution, to get a broad sense of the business. A former cake decorator in a store bakery is now in charge of all strategy for its bakeries. A distribution-center manager overseeing 800 associates got his start unloading railcars. When Lakeland store manager Edd Dean started bagging groceries as a teenager, he never expected to still be working in a supermarket 30 years later. “When I graduated college I had been seven years at Publix, and I started looking for a ‘real job,’?” he says. “I interviewed at a lot of companies, but the manager I was working with kept hounding me to come to Publix. Eventually it just clicked.” Dean is one of 34,000 employees who have more than ten years of tenure.

(more at link)

by Anonymousreply 15305/27/2014

Excellent article, thank you. We don't have Publix in Louisiana.

by Anonymousreply 107/25/2013

This is how you run a business.

People are the organization's biggest asset. You pay good people good money and they will do a good job. It's simple, really.

by Anonymousreply 207/25/2013

Publix has great sales on groceries and toiletries, including 2 for 1 on stuff I regularly buy.

Ck out their weekly circular. You will definitely save money. One time it was... spend $25(which I had to do anyway on needed items), save $10 on a tank of gas.

Walmart NEVER has sales.

I will say one negative thing... their deli key lime pie IS NOT good. Someone here bragged on it, so I tried it. But, it is not any good.

Best damn key lime pie in my city(pop 65,000) is from Longhorn's Restaurant. Now that's some seriously good key lime pie(hold the raspberry sauce). don't need it, don't want it. Just give me straight key lime pie.

by Anonymousreply 307/25/2013

Will you PLEASE stop talking about key lime pie?!?!

by Anonymousreply 407/25/2013

No I Won't.

Are you on a diet or something? Does it give you a craving?

I think you might need a little dark chocolate boost, because....

your grumpy.

by Anonymousreply 507/25/2013

Publix is awesome. Yes, Florida is filled with idiots, and I only live there part of the year, but Publix is one of the things that helps you get over the stupidity everywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 607/25/2013

It's all about prices.

Why go to Walmart when you can get weekly bargains at Publix and Kroger?

Also, Walmart has a shitty produce department. I know they're trying to improve it, but their new fresh fruit commercial makes me burst out laughing.

by Anonymousreply 707/25/2013

I grew up in Florida and Publix absolutely spoiled me for grocery stores. There's nothing else like it in this country, it's extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 807/25/2013

I live in Florida for 5 years. Publix is the one of only two things I can honestly say I miss about Florida.

The stories are immaculate. The service is excellent. The fried chicken was fucking awesome.

by Anonymousreply 907/25/2013

Publix and Kroger are now my main grocery stores. And, lucky for me, the stores are only 2 miles apart.

I still get lower priced staples at WM, but that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 1007/25/2013

I don't get your post R11.

by Anonymousreply 1207/25/2013

The Publix brand ice cream and frozen yogurt is the best anywhere. If I didn't have some self-control I could gain 20 lbs. by having a big bowl of mocha chip, roadrunner raspberry, or tiramisu every day. Though I don't buy their key lime pie, they have a really great key lime pie frozen yogurt.

by Anonymousreply 1307/25/2013

Does anyone know if their key lime pie is any good?

by Anonymousreply 1407/25/2013

How easy is it to get the 1000 hours a year that qualifies you for the stock program?

Usually grocery workers have flexible hours and work part time. If Publix workers get near the 1000 hour limit, do they get their hours reduced?

What is the starting pay. How are above minimum wage is it?

What is the disciplinary process like? If the customer comes first, how are employees treated when a customer lodge a complaint?

How is the hiring for fulltime done? Is there an internal affirmative action program? If not, are the promotions done color blind and without a preference for one gender or another depending on the position?

Does Publix participate in the penny a pound program in Florida, an effort to bring up migrant workers' wages, with the backing of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW).It's widely supported by other chains, Trader Joe's Whole Foods Market. Why is Pubix opposed? Could it be connected to their adamant opposition to unions?

by Anonymousreply 1507/25/2013

In Los Angeles. No Publix *or* Kroger.

Is there anything that would be comparable?

by Anonymousreply 1607/25/2013

Death to Wal-Mart.

by Anonymousreply 1707/25/2013

Do we now have a no desserts troll?

by Anonymousreply 1807/25/2013

[quote]If Publix workers get near the 1000 hour limit, do they get their hours reduced?

No. A friend's son helped pay his own way through college by working at Publix. By the time he finished college, he owned some Publix stock.

by Anonymousreply 1907/25/2013

1000 hours a year wouldn't be that difficult to reach unless there's a severe cutback in hours/staffing; that's an average of 20 hours/week.

I worked in a supermarket last year; even with severely reduced hours some weeks I definitely cleared 1000 hours for the year.

by Anonymousreply 2007/25/2013

This is great. Republicans must be shitting their pants - their sacred store is declining.

by Anonymousreply 2107/25/2013

What, R21?

You need to get out more.

by Anonymousreply 2207/25/2013

[quote] In Los Angeles. No Publix *or* Kroger

Kroger is Ralphs in L.A.

by Anonymousreply 2307/25/2013

R22, R21 is right Walmart's policies are beginning to bite them in the ass. They are having major problems as they keep cutting staff back to keep profit at the same level. They have weeks worth of merchandise sitting in the back of the store because they do not have the man power to stock the shelves.

I went to Walmart with my mother's caregiver. Walmart was out of vinegar. I was told they had been out of it for a few weeks. I went back every few days just for the fun of it. It took 17 days for them to get vinegar back on the shelves.

by Anonymousreply 2407/25/2013

Republican voters like lower prices, too.

I really don't think they give a shit about WM's fate.

by Anonymousreply 2507/25/2013

You'r missing the point if you're using your own shopping list as a basis of comparison between WalMart and other chain grocery stores.

I know nothing I buy is less at WalMart - and sometimes they just don't have what I need.

But I'm a forty-year old single gay white man with a nice disposable income - and working very hard to stay in shape and healthy.

About two years ago I did some comparison shopping between WalMart, a local chain and a local food cop.

WalMart came in at the same price, not in stock, or a little higher on my shopping list.

But boy did they have cheap food I would never buy: huge boxes of frozen corn dogs, hash brown patties, fish sticks and gallon jugs of what seemed to be colored sugar water. Also really big jars of dill pickles.

Now I took the comparison one step more - and what so many local "hippies" seem to know - less expensive to feed your family on rice, beans, fresh fruit and vegetables than frozen corn dogs and fish sticks from WalMart.

Publix Key Lime pie is great.

WalMart much touted point of sale/inventory management system sucks - as demonstrated by the vinegar story.

by Anonymousreply 2607/25/2013

Just moved to FL about a year ago and Publix is indeed one of the few saving graces in this godforsaken state.

The fried chicken is delish, the bakery bread isn't bad, and the sub sandwiches are way better than subway. I also like their Publix brand frozen yogurt.

by Anonymousreply 2707/25/2013

The Publix fresh-baked Irish soda bread every mid-March is great.

by Anonymousreply 2807/25/2013

Uh, Publix key lime pie is SHITTY.

Spend a little more money for the good stuff, R26.

by Anonymousreply 2907/25/2013

[quote]I know nothing I buy is less at WalMart - and sometimes they just don't have what I need.

THANK YOU R26!!!!

I've been saying that same thing for at least the last 5 years. WalMart is NOT cheap. My local chain grocery stores have the same prices as WalMart on everything I buy. WalMart used to be really cheap which is how they succeeded in chasing off a lot of their competitors. So now they no longer feel the need to have low prices. And their produce is horrible.

by Anonymousreply 3007/25/2013

Publix is a very Reichwing company all the same. (However, having grown up in Florida, I've blown a few bag-boys.) Uhhh... boycott the Olympics, too, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 3107/25/2013

If you want an edible key lime pie on the cheap, try Edwards.

Publix sells it and it's way better than what they sell in their deli.

I've paid as little as a dollar for it.

by Anonymousreply 3207/25/2013

I make their key lime pie with my shit.

by Anonymousreply 3307/25/2013

In my area, Walmart's canned goods are always cheaper, except for Progresso soups- which I get on sale at Kroger.

Peanut butter, bread, canned salmon and sardines.... also cheaper at WM.

I buy what's lower at WM and then motor on down to Kroger. That's my routine.

by Anonymousreply 3407/25/2013

Seriously. PLEASE stop talking about key lime pie. You have been warned.

by Anonymousreply 3507/25/2013

Let's talk about McDonald's chocolate chip cookies.

by Anonymousreply 3607/25/2013

Target's fresh popped popcorn is pretty good.

I buy a bag for $1.38, put it in my bag, and then I'm off to the movies.

by Anonymousreply 3707/25/2013

Target also sells Edwards key lime pie. It's in the frozen food dessert. It's good as long as you wait for it to thaw completey before you eat it.

by Anonymousreply 3807/25/2013

Clearly none of you bitches has been to Key West and had real Key Lime Pie. My father used to drive from Palm Beach to Key West just to get them. (As for me, I'd follow the lesbians to the bread pudding or a decent flan.)

by Anonymousreply 3907/25/2013

"Lud, please stop talking about that cake"

by Anonymousreply 4107/25/2013

Hmmmmmm...pie!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4207/25/2013

I don't think I've had the Publix key lime pie (or at least it wasn't very memorable) but the Publix carrot cake is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 4307/25/2013

There's no Publix out here. Costco is a progressive, successful company that I shop at.

However, before people celebrate over WalMart's demise, it's parking lots are as full as ever.

by Anonymousreply 4407/25/2013

Is/was this any good?

by Anonymousreply 4507/25/2013

PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT THAT PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!

SLAM!

by Anonymousreply 4607/25/2013

Omg, I can't believe this thread has been derailed into a discussion about key-lime pie. Publix might not have the best key-lime pie, in your opinion, but the rest of their bakery more than makes up for that.

Publix is the best grocery store, IN THE WORLD. There is no competition bitches. As has been stated in this thread, Publix is the only thing that keeps Floridians from killing each other in the streets.

by Anonymousreply 4707/25/2013

The awesome stick-figure browser game Kingdom of Loathing has, among other things to consume, several different varieties of key lime pie.

Each is created by cooking a pie crust with both a lime and a key (yes, the kind of key you open a door with)!

Lullz!

by Anonymousreply 4807/25/2013

I've never been a Walmart and didnt realize it was a grocery store. I thought it was like Kmart where you can get cheap clothes, household stuff and TVs.

by Anonymousreply 4907/25/2013

Their cheesecake is sublime. Excellent fried chicken. An increasingly large stock of organic foods. Very helpful employees -- I've seen the same faces there for many years.

by Anonymousreply 5007/25/2013

Publix is awesome. As others have mentioned, they have great BOGO sales, employees are way friendlier than any other store and their deli chicken fingers are fantastic. I rarely shop at Kroger and Walmart now.

by Anonymousreply 5107/25/2013

[quote] I've never been a Walmart and didnt realize it was a grocery store.

It isn't. It's a discount store with a grocery component, like Target has.

Some Super Walmarts have a full-on Grocery store inside.

by Anonymousreply 5207/25/2013

dang, R46 beat me to it.

but thanks for the laugh

by Anonymousreply 5307/25/2013

It truly is where shopping is a pleasure.

Recently a Wal Mart grocery opened around the corner from my Publix. I went in with a friend who picked up a script.

The place was nasty! All it contained was junk food and cheap crap. Yay! Gallons of soda for $1. Bleh

They didn't even install a new floor. The only people there seemed poor.

I asked a (racist) co-worker if he planned on checking it out and he expressed disgust and outrage. He complained about their shopping carts being all over the nice shopping plaza.

An obviously autistic bagger has about $1M saved up and in stock from working there. Old timers are aware.

Unfortunately, they tend to have that old southern mentality re: management. The high paying jobs are probably exclusive to white, heterosexual, Christian men.

But shopping there is great. They never question anything when returning something. They used to sell chalet Suzanne soup romaine. Yummm

They're closed and Easter so that may be the one day the new Wal mart will be busy.

by Anonymousreply 5407/25/2013

Mine has the best catfish on Fridays!!

by Anonymousreply 5507/25/2013

I wanted a special coffee that was sold in several grocery stores but Publix didn't carry it. It was easy to go up to the special order desk at Publix and put in a request. When it arrives at the store they phone to let you know. I bought a case of the coffee.

by Anonymousreply 5607/25/2013

If one person mentions key lime pie, I will shut this thread down. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 5707/25/2013

I live in Arkansas and would love to see Publix come to Little Rock. Costco will not come to this state and I think a store that brought this kind of service would be welcome.

by Anonymousreply 5807/25/2013

I heard that Publix has a delish Key Lime pie! Is it true?

by Anonymousreply 5907/25/2013

Publix (quietly) donates TRUCKLOADS of fresh food to the communities in Florida. I see it first-hand at the places I volunteer.

by Anonymousreply 6007/25/2013

Has anyone worked there?

by Anonymousreply 6107/25/2013

Was just talking about this store the other day, there's one near my brother in FL and I love going there when I visit. Fantastically clean, nearly spotless you could eat off the floors; the staff are helpful and friendly too. Prices are decent and best of all, they have bag boys who will wheel your groceries out to your car and load them for you. Who else still does this?

Their bakery section rocks I had one of the best pecan pies ever from there. Never tried the Key Lime though lol, might have to now.

by Anonymousreply 6207/25/2013

Secrets of publix

If you go to the seafood counter during lunch, you can order steamed shrimp with old bay and they will steam it right there fresh.

the deli subs are better then subway, quiznos, etc.

One of the best places to get cuban food is the publix stores in miami. Cuban american women staff the kitchen and they make fresh cuban bread and pastelitos that are to die for.

the fried chicken puts kfc to shame.

Nothing beats a day at the beach with cold publix friend chicken and their mustard potato salad.

by Anonymousreply 6307/25/2013

The publix bakery is top notch and the customer service is unlike any other retail establishments. The stores are always immaculate.

They have baggers or the cashier will bag your groceries and put them in the cart for you and they always offer to help you out with the groceries, tipping is not allowed. If you need help looking for something they will go and get it for you or walk with you to the aisle and help you look for it.

Returns are ridiculously easy, it's no questions asked. If the sale price does not ring up then the item is free. My husband lost his wedding ring in the store once, they found it and called us back to tell us that they had it up at the customer service desk.

The deli has good quality meats and delicious sandwiches and fried chicken.

The produce section has the freshest produce you have ever seen, tastefully arranged but pricey.

by Anonymousreply 6407/25/2013

"Employee owned", "People-First", "Worker controlled". Isn't this communism? Why do you all want to shop at a commie store?

by Anonymousreply 6507/26/2013

So their website says they are only in AL, TN, FL, SC and GA, with the heaviest presence in FL (over 750 stores). When are they going to open in other states?

by Anonymousreply 6607/26/2013

You'll regret it R62. It sucks. Spend the 2.80 on something else.

The seafood salad(without the pasta shells) is good. I know the crab is imitation, but it's still good.

by Anonymousreply 6707/26/2013

We don't have one anywhere close to where I live, but I saw one on the AL gulf coast last week on vacation. I've heard great things and I wanted to stop, but the BF didn't want to get off schedule.

Not even when I told him about the amaze-balls key lime pie!!!zOMG!!1!

by Anonymousreply 6807/26/2013

You have been warned, r68. Slip up again by mentioning the key lime pie and you are banned.

by Anonymousreply 6907/26/2013

key lime pie key lime pie key lime pie key lime pie key lime pie key lime pie

by Anonymousreply 7007/26/2013

Yeah, what R70 said, ya big bully!

by Anonymousreply 7107/26/2013

THIS is what I call a supermarket. But unfortunately this chain is in Australia. But it shits over anything in the US.

by Anonymousreply 7207/26/2013

[quote]This is how you run a business. People are the organization's biggest asset. You pay good people good money and they will do a good job. It's simple, really.

Exactly. Even if some items may cost a bit more at Publix than at WalMart (where everything is "cheaper"), I would rather pay a few cents more at Publix, which is like a grocery heaven compared to some grocery stores.

I used to shop at Wal-Mart, but haven't in years. Those stores make me want to kill myself. So fucking depressing. Publix really is "Where Shopping is a Pleasure" When I lived in Florida, my local Publix was sooo nice.

I don't know if it's like this in all stores, but at mine the walls and ceiling were darker tones, and the lights were low. It was comforting, unlike WalMart, which is lit up like a football stadium at night.

by Anonymousreply 7307/26/2013

Would love to hear from some people who work there....

by Anonymousreply 7407/26/2013

This year, Consumer Reports rated Publix as one of the top three grocery chains in the US. Fortune rated Publix (77) in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For List. It is a great place to work, and it's one of the few employers that will still hire teenagers under 16, so if you ask a native Floridian, it's not unlikely that his first job was with Publix.

Service is the best, but I wouldn't shop there if it weren't for the excellent store brand stuff it carries. For example, the Publix Greenwise Organic ice cream (often on sale for $3.50 per half gallon) is better than any premium store brand I've tasted, and I could go on and on.

Wal Mart is running direct "comparison" ads in Florida, but it doesn't appear to be putting a dent in the Publix bottom line, and for good reason.

by Anonymousreply 7607/26/2013

Carrot cake and blueberry scones are good in the bakery. The creme cakes, pumpkin pie, and cheesecake are decent, too. People love the party cakes with a religious fervor, but I find their popular buttercream frosting too sweet--I always go for the fudge.

I won't comment on the dessert-that-shall-not-be-named.

The best thing is that the workers quietly stock and face items all day. You will always find them working those aisles no matter what time of day. It always looks like they just opened the store for the day, they keep it that stocked and clean.

I've seen the same people working at the Publix stores I frequent for years. They're realistically friendly, too--they seem to be able to offer good service without forced, canned, corporate-mandated scripts. When I lived in Oregon, Safeway drove me away when they mandated smiling and greeting at every customer. Their employees were jumping out at you with bared teeth, screeching, "Hi! How may I help you?!!!" It was nerve-shattering.

by Anonymousreply 7707/26/2013

How is their key lime pie?

by Anonymousreply 7807/26/2013

[quote]Publix is the best grocery store, IN THE WORLD

1. You didn't need that comma.

2. It may well be the best grocery store in the U.S., but I'll warrant you don't have the breadth of knowledge to award it the crown for the entire world. It does sound a bit like Waitrose in the U.K., which also has employees as owners and prides itself on great quality and service.

by Anonymousreply 7907/26/2013

Forgot to add that many of the Publix stores also sell sushi that is - miraculously - pretty good. Try the baked chicken in the deli and the fresh breads in the on-site bakeries. You won't be sorry.

by Anonymousreply 8007/26/2013

I keep odd hours, so I don't like that Publix closes at 10.

by Anonymousreply 8107/26/2013

Key lime pie is the grossest thing ever.

It's like stanky Jello and sugar, and only people who think Golden Corral is fine dining would ever eat it.

by Anonymousreply 8207/26/2013

Clearly, r82 hasnt been to Florida to have a decent Key Lime pie, so I shall forgive her since she speaks from ignorance.

And the people posting the boxed version are just as offensive.

by Anonymousreply 8307/26/2013

I appreciate the customer service, but sometimes I want to get my own box of crackers.

by Anonymousreply 8407/26/2013

You are banned, r78.

by Anonymousreply 8507/26/2013

Haha, R82, you wouldn't know a real Key Lime Pie if it hit you in the face. I can hear you now, complaining that it isn't even green...

by Anonymousreply 8607/26/2013

So are you, r86. Banned.

by Anonymousreply 8707/26/2013

Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread, but a friend of mine said Publix makes an awesome Key Lime Pie. Is it really that good?

by Anonymousreply 8807/26/2013

R83 Thank you for setting them straight, Publix makes a delicious key lime pie but my favorite pie that they make is the apple pie.

The creme cakes are delicious too.

by Anonymousreply 8907/26/2013

Homemade key lime pies are super easy to make.

by Anonymousreply 9007/26/2013

r88, r89, and r90 are all on thin ice. Very thin.

by Anonymousreply 9107/26/2013

"The Wal-Mart Slayer" sounds like the name of a future serial killer.

by Anonymousreply 9207/26/2013

I have a hankering for some really good Key Lime Pie. Does Publix have any?

by Anonymousreply 9307/26/2013

I just love Key Lime Pie!

by Anonymousreply 9407/26/2013

They do a nice Key Lime cheesecake, and ice cream, and sell key lime juice as well.

by Anonymousreply 9507/26/2013

In fact, this entire thread is on thin ice.

by Anonymousreply 9607/26/2013

The WM made it clear, piephobia will not be tolerated.

by Anonymousreply 9707/26/2013

Don't look for Wal-Mart to cry "Uncle!" anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 9807/26/2013

Since I'm counting claories, does Publix carry a Key Lime Lite pie?

by Anonymousreply 9907/26/2013

let's have a nice time

by Anonymousreply 10007/26/2013

Having grown up in the county in which it was founded back in the 1930s, in grade school, we called it Pube-lix.

One of the cashiers at my store has been there for over forty years - has a shitload of stock, but loves her job.

by Anonymousreply 10107/26/2013

Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 10207/26/2013

"...has a shitload of stock, but loves her job."

Yes, the two are contradictory.

by Anonymousreply 10307/26/2013

Not contradictory. Publix is where shopping is a pleasure. It's a nice play for little old ladies to spend their time.

by Anonymousreply 10407/26/2013

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 10507/26/2013

This thread is making me hungry.

by Anonymousreply 10607/27/2013

KY Lime is my favorite lube, but I can't find it anymore. Does Publix carry it?

by Anonymousreply 10707/27/2013

Q: Why did the pie cross the street?

A: To get inside my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 10807/27/2013

Many of the Publix stores built in the 50s and 60s had these fantastic murals outside the stores, reflecting either a food/agriculture theme or a Florida history/culture theme; the one at the Southeast Plaza in Winter Haven showed, on one side of the entrance, the native Americans of Florida and, on the other side of the entrance, the arrival of Spanish conquistadors.

Sadly, as many of the stores were replaced, the murals were destroyed. Some have been saved, but not enough.

by Anonymousreply 10907/27/2013

r109, either your link sucks or the murals have no artistic merit at all. It is not as if they are on the same level as the Home Savings Bank Murals in Ca.

by Anonymousreply 11007/27/2013

Damn Gremlins!!!

Home Savings Bank Murals

by Anonymousreply 11107/27/2013

R110/R111 It was never called "Home Savings Bank." It was just "Home Savings." (or "Savings and Loan.")

by Anonymousreply 11207/27/2013

Give me a break they're grocery stores in Florida r110. Its not as if Michelangelo painted there. jeesh.

by Anonymousreply 11307/27/2013

[quote]Will you PLEASE stop talking about key lime pie?!?!

Fuck you, scurvy bastard!

by Anonymousreply 11407/27/2013

Well that Australian specialty store is lovely r72 but you're comparing apples to oranges. Publix is comparable to Woolworths or Coles - a regular supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 11507/27/2013

Ironically, R115, the parent company of that Australian chain IS Woolworth's.

by Anonymousreply 11607/27/2013

Publix is locally best known for their cakes. It's what everybody picks up when they need a cake for any kind of party.

I only buy fresh bread now....Publix had French, Chicago style, and spur dough.

Here is a video of an updated Publix based on its old retro style...it's in college park, fl.

by Anonymousreply 11707/27/2013

No r65, communism is "state-owned", "state-controlled", "priorities of the state above everything else". Something autonomous like Publix wouldn't be allowed under communism.

by Anonymousreply 11807/27/2013

What I like most about the article that started this thread is that (despite coming from forbes.com) it flatly contradicts what so many right-wingers consider undeniable truth.

Who knew that you could have good products, good service, good employees earning a good living, AND offer reasonable prices, AND make a healthy profit? Practically every other company claims it would have to close its doors if anyone made a living wage.

by Anonymousreply 11907/27/2013

I'm waiting for some smartass cunt to say that Publix doesn't matter if it's not in NYC,LA or SF!A lot of Florida is flyover country and Miami is like Havana North now.Key West on the other hand is fabulous though.

by Anonymousreply 12007/27/2013

I tried to make hydraulic lime pie, but it came out hard as a rock.

by Anonymousreply 12207/27/2013

Only a New Yorker would be so ugly, R120. New York City wishes it had more than Duane Reade.

by Anonymousreply 12307/27/2013

[quote]I tried to make hydraulic lime pie, but it came out hard as a rock.

HA!

by Anonymousreply 12407/27/2013

I was once told my pussy smelled like bad Pubix Key Lime pie.

by Anonymousreply 12507/27/2013

[quote]I was once told my pussy smelled like bad Pubix Key Lime pie.

And that was on a good day!

by Anonymousreply 12607/27/2013

Vintage 1960s interior.

Does this ever bring back memories as a small child.

by Anonymousreply 12707/27/2013

Don't forget to mention every kid gets a free cookie from the bakery.

by Anonymousreply 12807/28/2013

I just discovered WinCo Foods, an employee owned grocery store in N. California last week. I'd never heard of it before and I stopped by after having lunch in the area. Outside of the produce, which had very good prices, everything was far, far less than Safeway, Raleys, SaveMart, and even the non-union stores like Food Source. I asked the the checker if the company was related to Winn Dixie. She said no and proudly pointed to an employee owned signed. I'd honestly thought I'd stepped into a Walmart type of place and was shocked. I have to go back and spend more time there.

It's tiny compared to Publix:

[quote]WinCo is continuing this record of success, now operating 87 stores in seven states (Washington, Idaho, California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Arizona) with over 14,000 employees and continues to grow by opening new stores and adding new members to the company every year.

by Anonymousreply 12907/28/2013

Since it was set in Miami, do you think the Golden Girls shopped at Publix?

by Anonymousreply 13007/28/2013

Publix isn't exactly the best company around, they own gmo farms and repress anybody inquiring about it.

by Anonymousreply 13107/29/2013

Publix profit and revenues were up last quarter, despite the Wal Mart ad campaign targeting the employee-owned grocery chain.

I don't work there, but in a way I wish I did so I could get my hands on some Publix stock.

by Anonymousreply 13208/01/2013

r117, this is r73. I can't believe you posted a video of that Publix, that is exactly the one I was talking about! Such a fantastic store to shop in. I've been living back in the midwest for over a decade now, and still have never had a shopping experience close to that.

by Anonymousreply 13308/07/2013

Edwards key lime pie was BOGO this week at our grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 13408/07/2013

My Mom lives in Florida, and Publix beats any supermarket in the NYC area. Why don't we have one in NYC?

by Anonymousreply 13508/07/2013

Bump

Edwards key lime pie is 20 times better than the shitty Publix key lime.

by Anonymousreply 13605/07/2014

R136, are you the official key lime troll?

by Anonymousreply 13705/07/2014

The only publix I've been to is the one on miller and 90-something in Miami. It's too crowded and impossible to park.

by Anonymousreply 13805/07/2014

I loved this thread

by Anonymousreply 13905/07/2014

Yes, R137, and damn proud of it.

I am R3 of this thread, but I prefer to be called the key lime pie truth teller.

by Anonymousreply 14005/07/2014

R140, have you ever tasted a key lime? They don't taste like regular limes.

by Anonymousreply 14105/07/2014

Bump for Key limes and Myer lemons.

by Anonymousreply 14205/08/2014

Thanks, but my key lime pie sucks the big donkey dong.

by Anonymousreply 14305/08/2014

R138, how long have you lived in Florida if that's the only Publix you've ever been to?

Where do you shop?

by Anonymousreply 14405/08/2014

Yes, Publix Key Lime pie is good. Strangely, my second favorite for years was at those chain Ale House restaurants.

I've known whole families that worked for Publix: it's a well run company.

by Anonymousreply 14505/08/2014

Their pie is good.

Publix used to be good to their workers, those days are over.

by Anonymousreply 14705/09/2014

But you can't get insured, unless you have 1500 hours and the managers try to keep you from getting enough hours.

by Anonymousreply 14805/24/2014

Here is another Publix "secret": Baggers aren't allowed to take tips for bringing your groceries to your car. They are required to tell would-be tippers that they aren't allowed to accept tips at all. HOWEVER, if a customer insists three times, the baggers are allowed to accept because at that point it is considered rude to refuse.

by Anonymousreply 14905/25/2014

Just make sure the employee isn't named Beetlejuice.

by Anonymousreply 15005/25/2014

I'm disabled. I can't push the wagon when it gets heavy or bend to put my stuff from the wagon to the counter and then pack them and put them back in the wagon for delivery.

The clerks at Shoprite do this for me and one young man that has helped me several times is so incredibly nice. He's careful and asks me exactly how I want it packed and before checkout goes to get anything heavy I need like cases of seltzer. I have offered him a tip several times and he always thanks me but says it's not allowed. There is a donut shop right inside Shoprite so I have asked if I could at least buy him some donuts and/or something to drink. Again, in the most pleasant way he says no thank you, it's not allowed. So the best I could do was go to the stores general manager and tell him what a fine young man and wonderful employee he has and I hope when he is looking for someone to promote he thinks of this young man.

by Anonymousreply 15105/25/2014

If the Key Lime pie isn't any good, how about the savory pies. Everyone loves savory pies.

by Anonymousreply 15205/26/2014

Both Publix and Walmart have been in trouble for not promoting women in their workplaces

by Anonymousreply 15305/27/2014
Need more help? Click Here.