Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Patti Luppone on the set of "Life Goes On"

I heard she was a real terror, criticizing the scripts, demeaning poor Chris Burke and clashing with the actor who played her husband. It wasn't exactly Evita, but the material wasn't bad. Plus, didn't she get to sing. Any good stories?

by Anonymousreply 8307/29/2013

Luppone? You're obviously not queer!

by Anonymousreply 107/25/2013

R1 Patti writes in her memoir she adored Chris and Kellie. She fought with Bill from her the start. She auditioned to the part in NY while doing Anything Goes and didn't get along with Bill. She wanted out from the moment she knew Bill would be in. In the fourth season they didn't speak to each other. Bill didn't speak to Kellie for six weeks when Kellie told Bill not to direct her.

Patti also didn't like her character and wanted to be written out. She thought the writers didn't know what to do with Libby. She wanted her to be modern woman in her 40s with real problems, but she was written as a little home maker, so she ended up disliking many of the writers (acc. to her website's Q/A back then) and producers.

The days were long, 16 hours a day and the show was the last to go on break and the first to return. The producers gave a gift to cast and filmed in Florida, heat 16-hour-a-day with LuPone five months pregnant before the producers even considered how to write it to the show.

Finally she saw the opportunity to get out when David Garrick phoned from London and asked her to play Norma Desmond in the workshop performance of Sunset Boulevard. She got the permission to do it and the rest is well known history.

by Anonymousreply 207/25/2013

Chris writes in his memoirs that Patti refused to do scenes with him.

That she used a stand-in when the camera wasn't on her.

by Anonymousreply 307/25/2013

R3 Stand-in isn't so unusual. Patti wrote Chris is an angel. He was at her Drama League Gala, so I would say they get along just fine.

by Anonymousreply 507/25/2013

Why didn't Kellie Martin become a bigger star?

by Anonymousreply 607/25/2013

Anyone writing Luppone here needs a special education. Honey, it's LuPone. Not Lupone (nor Luppone), but LuPone.

by Anonymousreply 707/25/2013

[quote] Stand-in isn't so unusual.

It is important as an actor to react to the other actor, even if the camera is not on them.

by Anonymousreply 807/25/2013

R6 Too smart, Yale graduated. Christy wasn't a good choice and she left ER when she thought her character wasn't developing enough. Choices.

by Anonymousreply 907/25/2013

R8 Oh is it? Thanks for telling. How many times have you written the same thing, LuPone using a stand-in on DL so far? We got it. You think LuPone and Burke had some disagreement. I think they got along fine and still do. Enough?

by Anonymousreply 1007/25/2013

R10 that is what Chris wrote in his book.

If you got a bone to pick with it, take it up with him.

He wrote it!

by Anonymousreply 1107/25/2013

R9 - I thought she had a good deal with ER. I loved the interactions she had with Carter and with Alan Alda's character. Kellie was also a lead of another medical drama as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 1207/25/2013

I never understood why she is supposed to be so popular among gays. Sometimes I think NYC gays think the rest of the country is supposed to share their interests and opinions. The only thing I've ever seen with her is a YouTube video where she is shrieking at someone who forgot to turn their cell phone off. I thought she was famous for that.

by Anonymousreply 1307/25/2013

R13 Gays, musicals, diva roles, high and strong belter, unusual looks but made it to the stardom on Broadway. Hello?

by Anonymousreply 1407/25/2013

I wanna weddin' that's HONK HONK, with HONK HONK, and razzmatazz!

by Anonymousreply 1507/25/2013

LIFE GOES ON WASN'T A GODDAMNED FUCKING SITCOM!

by Anonymousreply 1607/25/2013

[quote] That she used a stand-in when the camera wasn't on her.

Hon, that's what MOST actors do.

by Anonymousreply 1707/25/2013

R17 But when Patti does it, it's a huge deal. It's an issue. It must be brought up on every LuPone thread.

by Anonymousreply 1807/25/2013

LuPone may have her less than perfect moments, like everybody else, but I've always suspected that the reports of her being some kind of bitch pariah are the productive of an overactive imagination that loves to hate divas. I met her once and she couldn't have been nicer to me. As it happens, Kelly Martin was there that night as well, and it was clear that they absolutely adored each other.

by Anonymousreply 2107/25/2013

r21

So, why Patti but not Bernadette? Or Idina Menzel or Kristin Chenoweth?

by Anonymousreply 2207/25/2013

"Chris writes in his memoirs that Patti refused to do scenes with him."

Yeah, but isn't he kind of "slow"? Perhaps he misrembered things or had hallucinations that he did? Did he even write the book? Can he even write?

by Anonymousreply 2307/25/2013

[quote]LuPone may have her less than perfect moments, like everybody else,

Oh, [italic]honey.[/italic]

Honey, honey, honey.

She's a shrieking cunt on wheels.

Haven't you read her memoir? She basically owns up to it in it on every single page. She's even happily admitted the publishers had to contact her when she submitted the manuscript to tell her to make it [italic]less[/italic] bitchy and complaining than what we finally received (which simply boggles the mind).

by Anonymousreply 2407/25/2013

r24

Are you a fan of hers? Because if so, this is just another BETRAYAL.

by Anonymousreply 2507/25/2013

"It was moderately cute the first time around 10 years ago."

Holy shit! You've been here for TEN years? You seriously need to get a life.

by Anonymousreply 2607/25/2013

I am very good friends with someone who works for AHS.

Jamie Brewer, who played Jessica Lange's daughter in season one, is to do a bit of work for this upcoming season. Jamie is doing this because everyone, but most especially Jessica Lange, truly likes her acting style as well as how she is as a lady.

Jamie is living with Down Syndrome and if Patti fucks with her in any way Jessica Lange alone with tear her a new one.

by Anonymousreply 2707/25/2013

r27

Living with Down Syndrome?

by Anonymousreply 2807/25/2013

[quote] Hon, that's what MOST actors do.

Julie Andrews doesn't

by Anonymousreply 2907/25/2013

Patti LuPone and Kelli Martin are extremely close. Patti even sang at Kelli wedding.

Kelli had a role on Army Wives and when it came to casting her mother, Kelli insisted on having Patti play the part.

by Anonymousreply 3007/25/2013

[quote]I never understood why she is supposed to be so popular among gays.

I never understood it either. What the hell has she done for gay rights?

by Anonymousreply 3107/25/2013

[quote]as well as how she is as a lady.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 3207/25/2013

A friend is a broadway producer/director and raves about what a pro Patti is. Is willing to try anything the director suggests. Yes, at times she's been known to stand up for herself but the people in the industry I know feel like that's only been for the good of the show.

by Anonymousreply 3307/25/2013

P.S. in a recent production she was the one who was bullied by a co-star.

by Anonymousreply 3407/25/2013

She might be a cunt,but she's my cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3507/25/2013

Yes, r32 - Mother says you can always tell a lady by her hands!

by Anonymousreply 3607/26/2013

That's sweet R30

by Anonymousreply 3707/26/2013

I was as a play in NYC and she was in the audience. We ended up in stalls next to each other in the ladies room after the first act. I heard the toilet paper roll make only TWO noises, so I can confirm that Patti only wipes twice which I think is disgusting. At least she washed her hands.

by Anonymousreply 3807/26/2013

R38 Did she shit or just piss?

by Anonymousreply 3907/26/2013

R38, now I know you are a gay boy. A woman wipes once when she pees. She wipes 3-5 times when she poops because we wear thongs nowadays, not granny pants.

by Anonymousreply 4007/26/2013

LOL of all the things to lie about how did you pick that R38?

by Anonymousreply 4107/26/2013

to a WHOLE lot of people, life goes on is all this bitch is known for.. clashing, putting on heirs and attacking the down syndrome boy? i dont fuckin think so. u know she was god damned respectful and appreciative for the work

by Anonymousreply 4207/26/2013

R31 Are you serious? She was one of the first Broadway stars to perform in benefit concerts etc. She knows her gay followers, been on gay cruises etc. and respects them dearly.

by Anonymousreply 4307/26/2013

R27 I don't think you need to worry.

by Anonymousreply 4407/26/2013

R34 The Anarchist? Her co-star has a reputation...

by Anonymousreply 4507/26/2013

Bill's a great man - everyone else who works with him likes him. Patti's a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 4607/26/2013

[quote]Bill's a great man - everyone else who works with him likes him. Patti's a bitch.

I believe it, especially after reading what R3 wrote. I've never heard nice about Patti.

by Anonymousreply 4707/26/2013

R46 Why Bill didn't speak to Kellie for six weeks?

by Anonymousreply 4807/26/2013

Note to self: if you hit it big, hire a very personal assistant to pull the tp a minimum of three times - maximum five - in case fans are using the shitter next door.

by Anonymousreply 4907/26/2013

"So, why Patti but not Bernadette? Or Idina Menzel or Kristin Chenoweth?"

Bernadette and Idina are probably less likely to get this kind of rep because they are warmer and less threatening than Patti.

That Bernadette and Idina might well be easily identified as sweeter people, especially on the surface, than Patti doesn't mean that Patti is the raving shrewish harridan she is so often trumped up to be. It may only mean that Patti is ballsier, more emotionally uninhibited when she's unhappy, less likely to stand on polite ceremony or pull punches, ; my experience is that often people with those kinds of personalities are very professional and compassionate people, truly kind, caring and genuine, the real deal.

As for Kristin, unlike with Bernadette and Idina, it has been said - and just as in Patti's case, the fact that shit is being said about her doesn't make it true - that the surface sweetness, often to the point of cloying, is all an act and she's really a fucking monster.

by Anonymousreply 5007/26/2013

She gives an interview to CBS Sunday Morning.

Says she doesn't understand why people label her a bitch.

Go to 7:00

by Anonymousreply 5107/26/2013

Also, she has often plays tough girls, looks like a tough cookie, and owns her tough side in a very honest way. Of course many are going to delight in thinking of her as a bitch on wheels.

by Anonymousreply 5207/26/2013

[quote] Yeah, but isn't he kind of "slow"? Perhaps he misrembered things or had hallucinations that he did? Did he even write the book? Can he even write?

In terms of Downs Chris is high-functioning.

And the book was written between season 2 & 3, while all this was going on.

by Anonymousreply 5307/26/2013

R40, you should be doing that home, so you can shower afterwards. There really should be no reason to crap in a public space.

by Anonymousreply 5407/26/2013

WHO is Bill???

by Anonymousreply 5507/26/2013

He's a nobody. A NOTHING! That's who Bill is.

by Anonymousreply 5607/26/2013

This thread is useless without this.

by Anonymousreply 5707/26/2013

R56 lol

by Anonymousreply 5807/26/2013

[quote]That Bernadette and Idina might well be easily identified as sweeter people, especially on the surface, than Patti doesn't mean that Patti is the raving shrewish harridan she is so often trumped up to be. It may only mean that Patti is ballsier, more emotionally uninhibited when she's unhappy, less likely to stand on polite ceremony or pull punches,

By which you mean she is indeed a raving shrewish harridan.

by Anonymousreply 5907/26/2013

I loved how she make fun of her bitchy rep on Will & Grace. She obviously has a sense of humor about herself, rather than some other B'way divas (cough...Betty Buckley...cough).

by Anonymousreply 6007/26/2013

Wow, r26...really sad attempt at tearing someone down a peg. Pathetic. Just as pathetic as r15.

by Anonymousreply 6107/26/2013

[quote]Hon, that's what MOST actors do.

That is most definitely NOT true. Stand-ins are used for non-filming purposes. Only in extreme circumstances, such as an actor is not present for whatever reason, is a stand-in used.

by Anonymousreply 6207/26/2013

Patti is the victim here.

by Anonymousreply 6307/26/2013

Am I the only one who wanted to ravage Tommy Puitt aka Tyler Benchfield?

by Anonymousreply 6407/26/2013

[quote]It was moderately cute the first time around 10 years ago. Now, you just look like a desperate fool.

Ur, no. That was not "moderately cute." It was one of the funniest things ever posted on DL. And with all the tedious shit that gets relentlessly repeated on here (misspelling cake and gravy? oh, my sides!), that is one thing that deserves to be trotted out more often.

by Anonymousreply 6507/26/2013

"The only thing I've ever seen with her is a YouTube video where she is shrieking at someone who forgot to turn their cell phone off. I thought she was famous for that."

She USED to be famous for her talent, now she's famous for her tantrum.

by Anonymousreply 6607/26/2013

It breaks my heart that she and Bill weren't close. It's a testament to their acting prowess that for all these years I've always mentioned how you could feel the love between the two whenever I've discussed Life Goes On. They were my dream parents when I was in my mid-twenties.

by Anonymousreply 6707/26/2013

She took a dump in Chris' dressing room/trailer toilet and didn't flush!

by Anonymousreply 6807/26/2013

R9, IIRC, another issue was that Kellie's sister was terminally ill at the time, and she had a very difficult time doing the medical scenes.

by Anonymousreply 6907/26/2013

"Plus, didn't she get to sing"

Yes, she did. I remember at least a couple of shows where she sang.

I don't remember the name of the actor who played her husband, but he was a really good actor.

The show had an AIDS storyline, with Chad Lowe playing Kellie Martin's true love, who unfortunately had AIDS (he got it from a girl). The subject matter was handled very inteligently. Life Goes On was a well written show.

by Anonymousreply 7007/26/2013

Chad Lowe won a best supporting actor Emmy for his role on the show. His storyline was outstanding, as was his performance.

by Anonymousreply 7107/26/2013

I meant "intelligently." I hope I can post this before the inevitable "oh, dear."

by Anonymousreply 7207/26/2013

What the fuck is wrong with using a stand-in with the other actors when they finally get around to shooting their coverage? I always do that. I got kids at home!

by Anonymousreply 7307/26/2013

Has anyone watched the show recently? Does it hold up?

by Anonymousreply 7407/26/2013

Does it hold up what, Dorothy?

by Anonymousreply 7507/27/2013

[quote]Wow, [R26]...really sad attempt at tearing someone down a peg. Pathetic. Just as pathetic as [R15].

Tearing "someone" down? Tearing [italic]you[/italic] down is more like it.

by Anonymousreply 7607/27/2013

R70 Actually she has told she didn't want to sing in the show, because the song selection. Chad Lowe's performance was great and the entire story line, well written and acted.

by Anonymousreply 7707/27/2013

How do Patti LaPone and Patti LaBelle feel about each other?

by Anonymousreply 7807/27/2013

Dorothy Lyman played Chad Lowe mother in a rare dramatic role

by Anonymousreply 7907/27/2013

I want to know the answer to R74's question, too. Has anyone seen this show in the recent past? I was a teen when it first aired so I cannot attest to the quality.

by Anonymousreply 8007/29/2013

Check Youtube for the show.

by Anonymousreply 8107/29/2013

Didn't Shannon Doherty guest star?

by Anonymousreply 8207/29/2013

Yes, R82

by Anonymousreply 8307/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.