Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ayn Rand's Long Lost Weekly Parade Column

As told by John Hodgman.

"You probably know that I received a prescription for the stimulant Benzedrine, or “speed.” I can say rationally that it increases my happiness and my productivity. For example, some time ago I went to Studio 54, because I love to dance on speed. I took fifteen speed pills, and I got into a contest with Liza Minnelli over who could roar most like a jaguar. She simply sounded like a stupid lion."

by Anonymousreply 507/25/2013

Benzedrine wasn't speed

by Anonymousreply 107/25/2013

R1: *ahem*.

[quote][bold]Benzedrine is the trade name of the racemic mixture of amphetamine (dl-amphetamine). [/bold] The drug was often referred to as "bennies" by users and in literature. It was marketed under this brand name in the USA by Smith, Kline and French in the form of inhalers, starting in 1933. Benzedrine was used to enlarge nasal and bronchial passages, and it is closely related to other stimulants produced later, such as dextroamphetamine (d-amphetamine) and methamphetamine. Benzedrine should not be confused with the different substance benzphetamine.

by Anonymousreply 207/25/2013

[quote] I saw on television the performing group known as the Village People. These are very exuberant, virile men. I have no delusions; I know that they are all lesbians.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 307/25/2013

Well, she's spot on with a couple of things...

[quote] Yes, I am both a speedboat and a speed train, and I will mix metaphors if I wish and bend language to my own reality like rails of garbage steel. Because Ronald Reagan has deposed Jimmy Carter, and I predict that by 2013 my influence will be profound, and a new generation of leaders will hallow my name, and devotion to self-interest and capitalism and the free market will not be the exception but the rule, and these leaders will naturally share my disapproval of religion, my support of abortion rights, and my love of Godiva chocolates. I have to stop writing now, because I have chewed through my typewriter.

by Anonymousreply 407/25/2013

Anybody not getting that it's satire?

by Anonymousreply 507/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.