Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cat Sees Owner After 6 Month Leave

Soldier returns after 6 months and cat sees him for the first time. So emotional.

I admit, I cried.

by Anonymousreply 7207/27/2013

I am so choked up right now.

by Anonymousreply 107/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 207/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 307/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 407/25/2013

Pretty much.

by Anonymousreply 507/25/2013

Well, isn't THAT special!

by Anonymousreply 607/25/2013

That was hilarious. I love all animals ,but I especially love cats.They truly have a mind of their own, LOL. They call the shots!

by Anonymousreply 707/25/2013

LOL! Love their bored yawns! I have two black cats and they are jus tlike Charlie... except when it's dinner time. But I love 'em both.

by Anonymousreply 807/25/2013

Wait until the 11 pm zoomies.

by Anonymousreply 907/25/2013

Okay, that is hilarious.

I believe this is the dog one that was a spoof of.

by Anonymousreply 1007/25/2013

Not all cats act the same way. Mine used to great me at the door, and then run to the refrigerator, sit in front of it, and wag their tails, looking expectantly.

Seriously, they even jumped out of my bed to great my roomie at the door for a pat, and he never even fed them.

by Anonymousreply 1107/25/2013

They should have showed Charley peeing on his bed later.

by Anonymousreply 1207/25/2013

OP, that was hilarious! I went out of town for 2 weeks, and my Persian cat was very angry at me.

Btw, I had the original JAWS poster like the guy in the video.

by Anonymousreply 1307/25/2013

The cat was like, Eh, it's you.

The dog was like, WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN????

by Anonymousreply 1407/25/2013

[quote]Not all cats act the same way. Mine used to great me at the door, and then run to the refrigerator, sit in front of it, and wag their tails, looking expectantly.

Yeah, my cat greeted everyone at the door, except strangers. She would run and hide under the bed, until company left.

by Anonymousreply 1507/25/2013

My cat was very smart, she would always stand by the window when we were coming home.

by Anonymousreply 1707/25/2013

Mine always come out and greet me when I come home. If I'm gone for an extended stay one of them gets very demanding of my attention.

by Anonymousreply 1807/25/2013

I wish mine did that.

If I'm gone anything longer than a workday my cat is all over me for several days. When I come back from a weekend or longer trip, she'll follow me from room to room, will rub my legs every chance she gets, won't stop meowing, crawls all over me when I try to sleep and has to sit on my lap when I sit. The longer I've been away, the longer the behavior goes on.

by Anonymousreply 1907/25/2013

When I would go daily walks, my cat would trot down to the bottom of the first hill and be there to 'surprise' greet me. Once he walked all two miles with me, but some of that had to do with gear of newly arrived coyotes, I say regretfully in hindsight.

by Anonymousreply 2007/25/2013

Shit, if one of my cats is out in my carport and I try and go for a walk they follow me. I have to now make sure they are in the house before I try to take a walk.

by Anonymousreply 2107/25/2013

You fuckers, I already had tears in my eyes when I pressed Play. Pretty funny, though :)

by Anonymousreply 2207/25/2013

My cat is like R19's. Not at all like the one in the OP's video.

by Anonymousreply 2307/25/2013

My cat recognizes the sound of my feet approaching and runs to the door -- I tested it once and instead of opening the door, I put the key in, but stopped. Sure enough, after about 5 seconds, I heard Emma meowing, presumably wondering why I wasn't coming in. She is always there to greet me when I come home from work. And, like the poster above, if I've been gone for more than a day, she won't leave me alone, follows me around everywhere. But I like it -- I live alone and having Emma is an emotional life-saver.

by Anonymousreply 2407/25/2013

I think it also depends on what the cat got to do while the person* was away.

In my case, I have a good friend who cat-sits (comes in several times a day to feed and play with him) when I have to be out of town. Smokey absolutely has him wrapped around his paw, trained to dispense additional food and treats as soon as he lets out a casual whine, drop everything and give him full attention when he wants t9o be petted or played with ... all the stuff he can't get me from me, since I know better. As a result, when I get home, he looks up, makes a face and I'm sure he whines the feline equivalent to "Oh FUCK ... he back! Damm it!!"

*Never ever refer to a cat "owner". Dogs have owners. Cats have "staff."

by Anonymousreply 2507/25/2013

That is so adorable, r24. You are very lucky to have a sweetheart like that.

by Anonymousreply 2607/25/2013

R24, my cat did the same when I was employed. Now that I'm "freelancing" poor girl is totally confused.

A friend who took care of the cat when I was away for a month said she'd go sit at the front door every day at around 6:30 pm which was when I usually got home from work.

by Anonymousreply 2707/25/2013

Cats also have a sense of being betrayed/deserted. If someone close disappears for a while, they show their "indifference" by completely ignoring the person for a while after seeing them again.

by Anonymousreply 2807/25/2013

I had one beloved cat who used to wait by the door when it was time for me to get home. She would also ignore me if I disrupted the routine.

One of the cats I have now practically rolls his eyes when I get home. "Oh, god, you again," and then leaves to go find solitude elsewhere in the house. He's ready to be social when it's dinner time.

by Anonymousreply 2907/25/2013

My cat greets me at every day after work. He is a big ol Maine Coon and they are very affectionate cats & I love him very much, that said, R-10's video is why I'm more of a dog person, I teared up at that one, no one will love you more than your dog.

You guys have got to check out the Dog Friend vs Cat friend videos on the right of those videos, they are hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 3007/25/2013

I liked the way the cat turned around and yawned. What a bitch cat. šŸ˜€

by Anonymousreply 3107/26/2013

Funny video, but I'm kind of sick of cat stereotypes. My cat always meets me at the door as well.

by Anonymousreply 3207/26/2013

Cats are much smarter than dogs. A dog id, basically, like a retarded kid. A cat is like a 'gifted' two year old child.

Dogs eat their poop. They're more lovable because they're all emotion and not much brains. Cats have a LOT of emotion and too much brains. Which is why dog owners own their dogs, but cat owners are owned by their cats.

My dog would love me if I shot him. My cats, who purr at me and coming running to me when I come home, will give me a dirty look (and their claws) if I mis-step even slightly. I own my dog. My cats own me.

by Anonymousreply 3307/26/2013

A cat chooses it's owner, you don't choose the cat.

by Anonymousreply 3407/26/2013

dogs are Gomers

by Anonymousreply 3507/26/2013

r33 - I have a dog and a cat too, but dogs are definitely more intelligent. If your dog eats poop and doesn't do anything else it's a reflection of you. An exceptionally smart cat can be trained by an exceptionally good trainer to do some cool stuff, but even a dumb dog can be trained by a terrible trainer to do basic commands.

by Anonymousreply 3607/26/2013

My cat arranged a surprise welcome home party at a very good French restaurant!

by Anonymousreply 3707/26/2013

R36, your post assumes the cat doesn't understand what a trainer is asking it to do, as opposed to understanding, but just deciding not to participate in such nonsense or to take commands.

by Anonymousreply 3807/26/2013

No, it doesn't understand.

by Anonymousreply 3907/26/2013

I feel like the "who's smarter?" debate is pointless. Both cats and dogs are capable of brilliance and stupidity, usually in the same animal.

by Anonymousreply 4007/26/2013

kindalike people that way R40

by Anonymousreply 4107/26/2013

My cat spent 12 days in a kitty condo while I was on vacation. They told me he was "depressed" and wouldn't interact with the other cats. When I arrived to take him home, he perked up as soon as he heard my voice, became very animated, and overjoyed. In the car, he kept rubbing up against me, walking over me, and his whole being seemed to be saying "You came back! I missed you!" I think this cat knew I liked dogs and he tried to act like one.

by Anonymousreply 4207/26/2013

This confirms it. I won't be adopting a cat to satisfice wanting a pet. It's dog or nothing.

by Anonymousreply 4307/26/2013

My grand parents had a female cat and they were from Spain. My grandmother name the cat slut in Spanish because she said the female cats just go around the neighborhood in heat looking for male kitties to have sex with and get pregnant LOL!

My grandfather would go to work every day by taking the bus. that cat was very smart because she knew the exact time every day when he would arrive at the bus from work. She went outside and she walked down the street at the bus stop waiting for him to come home from work.My grandfather adored that cat ,and he would crack up when he would see her waiting for him. My grand parents both loved animals. Eventually the cat died and they really missed her.

The one thing that bothered my grand parents immensely was the cat killing birds. She was able to kill two birds at once ,and they tried to stop her from killing birds. That part of their cat really disturbed them.

by Anonymousreply 4407/26/2013

I prefer turtles!

by Anonymousreply 4507/26/2013

R30 that is too adorable. My mother's Cannery would see my mother's silhouette pass by through the sheers hanging on the living room window heading for the front door. The moment she walked through the front door every day, he would sing to her. It was just amazing and incredibly adorable as well. We also had a cat that was an amazing well mannered cat. When we were watching TV, he would jump on the couch and fall asleep on my mother's lap, he just loved my mother. The only thing was, he had this side to him, which he was one tough cat! He would get into fights with other cats in the neighborhood now and then. My father used to look for him and yank him away from his kitty rumbles he got into with the other cats. The poor thing had blood all over his fur from kitty brawls.

R42, your story is so cute as well!

There are so many great kitty stories on this thread, keep them coming!

BTW, when your cat rubs his or her around your leg that means he or she is marking you as their possession, their saying to you, you are mine!

by Anonymousreply 4607/26/2013

I have a lot of Purple Martins around my house and they delight in swooping down and pecking on the cat's heads.... I have three cats from a litter, all look similar, but one is much slimmer and athletic. Sometimes the birds misjudge and peck him. And he leaps up and sometimes catches one. The other two cats are much heavier and leaden footed and just decide to go inside as they are being humiliated by the birds.

by Anonymousreply 4707/26/2013

Awe R45, I like turtles as well in addition to cats and dogs. I love most animals.

by Anonymousreply 4807/26/2013

My neighbor's cat has figured out when I come home for lunch and after work, and is always waiting on my driveway. I've never even come within a few feet of the cat, much less petted it or bonded with it, but it's out there like clockwork waiting for me and then runs away. Kinda cute. ;) on weekends I'm sure he's a bit confused.

by Anonymousreply 4907/26/2013

Great story, r46.

by Anonymousreply 5007/26/2013

[quote]...When I arrived to take him home, he perked up as soon as he heard my voice, became very animated, and overjoyed. In the car, he kept rubbing up against me, walking over me, and his whole being seemed to be saying "You came back! I missed you!"...

One who truly understands cats knows that the reason is more likely "I'm glad you are back, because I spent so many years TRAINING you to do as I want. I was afraid I'd have to start all over again with someone else! That would have been a pain in the ass ,,," :)

by Anonymousreply 5107/26/2013

A favourite family cat - a chunky tabby with bowed front legs - would habitually follow us down to a too-busy main street. Well, it meant we had to go back to the house, beckoning him the while, then shut him in; or, if in a rush, pick him up to take him back. Either way was good for him, since he won just that bit more ruefully fond attention.

Other times he would linger outside the house on the rough pavement. On seeing passers-by he would flop to the ground in their path, roll onto his back, and give them a love-me now look. Of course this shamelessness gained tickles and strokes enough to see the day through.

The kitchen was on the first floor, and a window with a smallish opening at the top abutted the kitchen table. Often while we snacked the cat outside would contrive to clamber up to the window; arrangements would then be made so he could drop dramatically on to the table, and again win the affection due for his tireless party trick.

When we watched TV en famille, the cat would sometimes become bored - didn't like the programme, or the fact that we all did - and seek a happy distraction of his own. All it took was an unused dusty pink faux-velvet cushion: slowly it would be mounted, a rhythm established, and a look of nostalgic bliss achieved. Eventually we couldn't pretend it wasn't happening, chuckling embarrassment ensued, and my father would gently separate our splendid pet from his love-aid. Then the cat would be mock-reproached, and stroked till he purred like a tractor. Job done! Great cat. RIP Tigger.

by Anonymousreply 5207/26/2013

That's real cute y'all, but my cat solves mysteries and stops crime.

by Anonymousreply 5307/26/2013

I live near a school, and I use their track to jog, and there are three neighborhood cats that like explore the track as well. If you're running all three of them will try to flop down in front of you so you'll pet them. And if you do pet them, then they'll run along next to you trying to get you to do it again.

by Anonymousreply 5407/26/2013

My first cat was a shelter cat . I named her Bootsie Gum Drops.

by Anonymousreply 5507/26/2013

The first time I went away for a few days, the kids across the street took care of my cats.

When I returned, the shy cat (who never made an appearance while the kids were here) greeted me with a huge sense of relief, then gave my suitcase a thorough sniff to speculate on where it had been, then purred even longer and louder than his usual longest and loudest.

The other cat (who was brushed, played with, fed chicken and treats, let outside and back in a couple times a day, and generally spoiled beyond belief) was the one who was in a snit.

And, to make it worse, he couldn't just go sulk in the basement to get away from me. He had to follow me from room to room so he could demonstrate - over and over and over again - how he wasn't speaking to me.

by Anonymousreply 5607/26/2013

Cats perceive time differently than humans or most other animals do. If you are away from your cat for five minutes it's like you were gone five hours to the cat. If someone was gone for six months, I'm sure the cat completely forgot about them. That's like 40 yrs to a cat

by Anonymousreply 5707/26/2013

A cat I had used to wait for me to come home from work. I was told that fifteen minutes before I unlocked the door, my cat would be waiting right at the front door waiting for me. I swear she had some sort of sixth sense. She passed away and I've never had a cat that loved me that way.

My current kitty is a lot like Charlie.

by Anonymousreply 5807/26/2013

Your cat hates you. The sooner you realize this, the better. They aren't purring because they love you, they want you to fill the food bowl. They only come to you when they need something.

by Anonymousreply 5907/26/2013

My cat passed away unexpectedly last month and all of these stories are making me depressed. He was a GREAT cat and contrary to popular belief about cats, needed lots of attention and loved people.

I miss my cat, but I don't think I'll get another one. I'm worried that I would keep comparing it to my last cat subconsciously and wouldn't like it as much.

by Anonymousreply 6007/26/2013

Sorry, R60. I know what you're going through as I went through the same thing when my cat of 14 years died. I had to wait over a year before I was ready to adopt another cat. I never thought I'd love my new kitty as much as my last one but I do. She's different but awesome in her own way.

Hugs to you.

by Anonymousreply 6107/26/2013

I have three indoor cats and my husband has an indoor/outdoor cat. He adores the cat. The cat couldn't care less about him. But she loves me to death. She'll go outside for a half an hour, come back In, run right over to me meowing and trilling and rubbing against my legs as if she'd been gone for a month.

She's a very conceited cat. I imagine she's saying, "Here I am! It's me! ME! Did you miss me? It's ok, I'm back! I'M BACK!"

Then she tries to beat my cats up.

My indoor cats are very timid and very well-behaved. My husband's cat would shit all over them if she could.

by Anonymousreply 6207/26/2013

[quote]I miss my cat, but I don't think I'll get another one. I'm worried that I would keep comparing it to my last cat subconsciously and wouldn't like it as much.

I felt the same way, after I lost my cat of 18 years to kidney disease. About six weeks later, a friend dragged me to a great no-kill shelter, which had cats walking loose in "cattery rooms" so you could interact with them. I spotted Smokey off at a distance, pretty much keeping to himself ... but he suddenly came over to us, and - without being invited - leaped into my friend's arms. I hadn't seen that, so my friend alerted me to it. I looked, and then Smokey leaped from his arms to mine. His cattitude was very "OK, I'm ready, let's go home!" I insisted on checking out other cats, but always came back to Smokey, who had a smug "I TOLD you!" look on his face.

It's almost 13 years later, and he has been exactly what I needed. We conjecture that somehow my deceased cat's spirit appeared to Smokey that day, pointed us out to him, assured that I had been completely "trained" by her, fed the best canned food, had dozens of cat toys, etc. Smokey leaped into the wrong pair of arms at first, but my last cat's spirit yelled "Not him ... the fat one!" (One other spooky thing: I had scattered my dead cat's ashes under a tree in the backyard, which Smokey always looked out the window at, late at night. There was nothing there I could see, but maybe he did."

Don't be in a rush to get another cat, and never think of him/her being a "replacement" for the one you lost. But be open to the possibility. Lots of cats out there need homes. They'll make the choice easy.

by Anonymousreply 6307/26/2013

I love cats, but I also love this website!

by Anonymousreply 6407/26/2013

With Michael Carbonaro in the video, who gives a shit about the cat?

by Anonymousreply 6507/26/2013

I lost my cat last year, so this thread sort of makes me sad...but also makes me smile remembering how great he was . I have never had a connection with an animal like I did with him. From the moment I found him, in a church parking lot, he wanted nothing more than to be glued to my side.

I told myself that I'd wait a year before I got another cat, but that has passed and I still can't think about "replacing" him.

Oh and I love dogs, too---just when they belong to other people!

by Anonymousreply 6607/27/2013

R61 Thanks for that.

Yeah, I think it will be AT LEAST a year before I even consider getting another cat. I still haven't gotten over my cat passing away so unexpectedly. I didn't even get to say goodbye :(

by Anonymousreply 6707/27/2013

R44 - "slut in Spanish"? Did she name it Puta? LOL.

by Anonymousreply 6807/27/2013

No, she named it piruha.

by Anonymousreply 6907/27/2013

LOL! Even better!

by Anonymousreply 7007/27/2013

We live in New Haven & my fiancƩ works in NYC. He comes home on Friday night and the cat literally screams and makes him pet him for a half hour. Every Friday. The cat doesn't get it when he leaves on Monday morning, though, to go back to the city.

by Anonymousreply 7107/27/2013

Oh wow, that's the guy from Another Gay Movie. I knew he looked familiar!

by Anonymousreply 7207/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!