Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

911 Emergency is a tool of the police state

From watching TV crime shows and the news, almost every recorded 911 call that I hear has the operator asking the caller incriminating questions.

If you've just killed or injured someone or discovered a dead or dying body, the operator should ask health and safety related questions only. Too often, they ask irrelevant, annoying questions when the caller is very likely in shock or crisis. They are not the police, their job is not to investigate. It is to send immediate help.

by Anonymousreply 1607/27/2013

Bless your heart, OP.

by Anonymousreply 107/25/2013

I'm always surprised how rude and impatient the operators are. Shouldn't they be calming, sensitive, and reassuring? Who gets these jobs?

by Anonymousreply 207/25/2013

OP, I think you need to change your tampon and get some rest.

by Anonymousreply 307/25/2013

I said I'm where it says on your fucking screen and she hung up.

by Anonymousreply 407/25/2013

Some of these 911 operators sound like prosecutors and I'm surprised they're allowed to badger the caller with forensic questions.

by Anonymousreply 507/25/2013

OP has tin poisoning.

by Anonymousreply 607/25/2013

911 centers should not in the same department as law enforcement. I think in many cities they are.

by Anonymousreply 707/25/2013

Bump for a potentially interesting thread

by Anonymousreply 807/26/2013

[quote]Bump for a potentially interesting thread

You have a low threshold for "interesting."

by Anonymousreply 907/26/2013

Nancy Grace had a successful career as a 911 operator before she got her show.

by Anonymousreply 1007/26/2013

I had a run in recently with a 911 operator that shocked me.

A few weeks ago, I was waiting at the light of an intersection in South Miami. When the light for the perpendicular traffic turned green, I noticed that the first car (in a long line of cars) was towing a non-working second car with a thin white rope between them.

So I called the South Miami police and explained the rope thing, and her totally uninterested response was--"Would it make YOU feel better if it was like a chain?"

(As if it were a matter of my feelings alone, and not the safety of the cars behind the second car, were the rope to snap. And even a chain affords the second car no stopping power. Plus it's totally illegal. Don't they know that?)

by Anonymousreply 1107/26/2013

OMG, I can't tell you how many times I've called 911 to report crimes and gotten into arguments with the operators. I always give them the relevant facts but hate to estimate suspects' ages, something that is never accepted. Nor can they accept the fact that I can describe the location of the crime but don't know the names of nearby freeways.

Just once I'd like to be thanked or made to feel appreciated for doing my civic duty.

by Anonymousreply 1207/26/2013

My good friend called recently to report a theft in progress, but had to sit through constant questions about who and where she was. She finally told the guy to shut up so she could tell him why she was calling. The motorcycle was gone by the time she got off the phone.

by Anonymousreply 1307/26/2013

[quote]I'm always surprised how rude and impatient the operators are.

They probably get burnt out from all the loons calling to report they didn't get their order right at the drive-thru and shit like that.

by Anonymousreply 1407/26/2013

I once called about a suspicious guy who looked like he was on drugs to me, but the stupid operator told me not to follow him!

I ignored the operator though, no one tells ME what to do!

by Anonymousreply 1507/26/2013

Aren't you all bothered when an innocent person is interrogated by an overzealous 911 operator? Often the caller is clueless, just trying to report what he or she sees. The 911 operators ask a series of inappropriate, criminal investigation-type questions like they're already building a case.

Are 911 operators agents of the police dept?

by Anonymousreply 1607/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!