Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Charles as Prince Regent?

All this talk about the royal family has had me thinking. As everyone knows, the queen will never abdicate: she and her family felt her uncle Edward VIII shamed himself by stepping down, and especially after receiving the holy unction during the coronation British monarchs are supposed to retain their crowns for life. But, that doesn't mean she can't hand over the powers of regency to Charles and withdraw from public life (as happened with her ancestor George III).

She's 87, and while women in her family are notoriously long-lived, she's not going to be able to do very much in just a few more years. Will she make Charles the Prince Regent, and have him open Parliament, open Tescos, host state dinners for visiting heads of state, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 2707/25/2013

She really should consider doing this, considering how her day-to-day decisions affect the fate of the world.

by Anonymousreply 107/24/2013

This just taste for abdication is silly.

by Anonymousreply 207/24/2013

I don't know, but I hope a decision is made soon. The fate of the world depends on what this family does!

by Anonymousreply 307/24/2013

Oops, distaste

by Anonymousreply 407/24/2013

The best coverage of all of this nonsense came from The Daily Show. John Oliver was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 507/24/2013

NO. Fuck the cheating Charles and whore rottweiler Camilla.

Hang on Liz until both of them are dead.

by Anonymousreply 607/24/2013

I think the belief is that whomever sits on the English throne has been chosen by God and cannot abdicate. They mentioned something about this in "The Queen."

But, I totally agree that she should. Especially now that there are three generations waiting for their turn. She could have the ceremonial "Queen Mother" title.

Is there anyone on here from the U.K., or any experts on the monarchy? I'd be very interested in hearing from them. I'm very fond of the royals.

by Anonymousreply 707/24/2013

Can they skip Charles and go right to William?

by Anonymousreply 807/24/2013

They could for the Regency, r8, but not for the actual kingship. After his mother dies, if Charles is still alive he automatically gets to be king whether she or you or anyone else likes it or not. It's in British law, and even the queen cannot change it.

by Anonymousreply 907/24/2013

She's not going anywhere until she beats Victoria. And why should she. Look what there is to look forward to.

by Anonymousreply 1007/24/2013

Her uncle never never received the holy unction as he never had a coronation. Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 1107/25/2013

I'm sure that Cameron will start encouraging her to abdicate, if for no other reason than seeing the dollar signs a coronation would bring.

I mean, he's gotten Events each of the last three years: Wedding, Olympics, Baby. Gotta do something for the tourists.

Then she subtly starts to sharpen her good beheading axe, and all talk of that quiets down.

by Anonymousreply 1207/25/2013

"She could have the ceremonial "Queen Mother" title"

I don't know what she would be called - "Queen Mother" refers simply to the mother of the monarch.

Elizabeth is Queen in her own right - "Queen Dowager" isn't right either.

"Queen Emeritus"?

by Anonymousreply 1307/25/2013

"that doesn't mean she can't hand over the powers of regency to Charles and withdraw from public life (as happened with her ancestor George III)"

You do know that George III didn't "hand over" anything and didn't "withdraw from public life" voluntarily?

A Regent was required because George was clinically insane - and the nutty king had to be sequestered in Windsor Castle because his behaviour would have brought the monarchy into even more disrepute.

by Anonymousreply 1407/25/2013

She has spent years as a Queen as not beloved.

Now her popularity is higher than ever.

Most people would be happy if Charles never took the throne and it went straight from her to William, so he could have his own Diamnd Jubilee one day.

Let her stay till she passes on.

by Anonymousreply 1507/25/2013

I'd far rather have King Charles than King William. The former, for all his foibles, has a distinct personality.

by Anonymousreply 1607/25/2013

If she withdrew she would still be queen and Charles would still be Prince of Wales. If she became incapicitated and no longer able to even acknowledge herself as sovereign, Parliament could appoint Charles as regent. Whether he uses the title Prince Regent or not is another story, it looks a little affected to don another title during a time of national worry about the health of the queen.

by Anonymousreply 1707/25/2013

[quote]She's 87, and while women in her family are notoriously long-lived, she's not going to be able to do very much in just a few more years.

I was at her mother's 90th birthday celebration. She could still dance a jig and put down a few glasses of champagne and manage to greet hundreds of guests.

by Anonymousreply 1807/25/2013

[quote]Her uncle never never received the holy unction as he never had a coronation.

No one said he did.

by Anonymousreply 1907/25/2013

[quote]whomever sits

Here's a link for R7...

by Anonymousreply 2007/25/2013

As I barely follow the Royals, I'm not very aware; thanks DL. So what does the Queen actually do besides get papped and perform many different largely ceremonial duties? I presume all of the Royals have fav charities, and raise money by attending and encouraging others to do likewise?

by Anonymousreply 2107/25/2013

OP, I thought Anne opened the Tescos?

by Anonymousreply 2207/25/2013

Thank you, R18. Some comments on this thread are absurd. She's in great health, her position is primarily ceremonial so she doesn't make policy, and she works very hard promoting Great Britain. Thus, I doubt she'll do anything but keep working. She's seen her great grandson, the future king, who, with any luck, will be ruling in the next century. Life is good.

by Anonymousreply 2307/25/2013

Before Elizabeth II ascended to the thrown, was the Queen Mother the queen?

by Anonymousreply 2407/25/2013

She was the Queen Consort to Liz II's dad, King George VI.

by Anonymousreply 2507/25/2013

As featured in the film, "the King's speech"

by Anonymousreply 2607/25/2013

In news stories she was referred to as Queen Elizabeth while her husband was king, r24. The Queen Consort title wasn't generally used by the media. Her likeness was on postcards, commemorative plates, and silver spoons with her name listed as Queen Elizabeth.

by Anonymousreply 2707/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!