Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is there a difference between being cute, handsome, and good-looking?

I've been called all three recently. Personally, when I see an attractive guy, I use the terms interchangeably to describe him. Or is there a difference?

by Anonymousreply 5907/26/2013

Handsome is for adult, masculine, stately, well-built tall men--and before, say, 1920, women as well.

Cute is for young, epicene guys or jejune, diminutive older guys.

"Good-looking" is a wishy-washy descriptor that really means "not ugly."

by Anonymousreply 907/24/2013

Cute = Justin Bieber

Good Looking = Ryan Reynolds

Handsome = Channing Tatum

by Anonymousreply 1007/24/2013

I get handsome, alternating with good looking. I used to get cute, when I was younger. I hate to sound cavalier, but I never take any of it seriously. I just know it's better than being called strange, creepy, homely, chubby, geeky, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1107/24/2013

cute - Zac Efron

handsome - George Clooney

good looking - Jon Hamm

by Anonymousreply 1207/24/2013

Eww r10 thinks Channing Tatum is handsome. How about Henry Cavill instead? Actually how about using less douchey examples overall?

by Anonymousreply 1307/24/2013

Cute guys don't tend to age well. Think Paul McCartney.

by Anonymousreply 1407/24/2013

Cary Grant takes this thread as 'handsome'. You would never call him cute, or good looking. He was straight up, A+ , # 1 Handsome. And aged more beautifully than probably any other movie star ever.

by Anonymousreply 1707/24/2013

R15,

I think Matt Bomer would qualify as gorgeous--there's a "prettiness" about him that keeps him from being handsome, and the ice blue eyes with the pale skin give him a look that almost otherworldly. To me, that's gorgeous.

Handsome, on the other hand, has an earthiness to it. Cary Grant is for me a handsome man--the thick hair, the cleft thin, not too lean.

An interesting mix of a cute face on a handsome bod would be Clark Gable.

by Anonymousreply 1807/24/2013

I feel your pain OP. I was called "hot," "mysterious," and "well-hung" last year when I was a contestant on "Sweet Genius."

by Anonymousreply 1907/24/2013

Back in the day, I think that Tom Cruise was a cross between cute and good looking. Not sure I'd ever really call him handsome.

by Anonymousreply 2007/24/2013

a rose by any other name....

by Anonymousreply 2107/24/2013

[quote]I've been called all three recently.

Yeah okay but your grandma doesn't count.

The acid test is commentary by the Acid Queens at The Abbey.

by Anonymousreply 2307/24/2013

Cute = Harry from One Direction

Handsome = Brandon Routh

Good Looking = Tom Welling

by Anonymousreply 2407/24/2013

Cute has a very superficial, brand-wise connotation to it. When I say someone is cute it's more snide than complimentary. Handsome and good-looking have regal and classic nuances attatched to them.

by Anonymousreply 2507/24/2013

Cute: attractive and sexy in a non-threatening way. Striking "feminine" features like eyes, lips and hair. A pleasant, charming, entertaining or flirtatious personality usually increases this appeal. Usually indicates a youthful quality even when applied to older people.

Handsome: very attractive in a traditional and strongly masculine way. Think "movie-star", matinee idol, heart-throb, etc. Head-turning good-looks. A well-defined jawline and generally masculine features are required. Cute often ages into handsome.

Hot: sex on a stick. Dick-hardening at the sight. Of all three types this one is most dependent on body type over facial features, which often defy conventional standards. This term can be very relative, situational and subjective. One man's "hot" is another man's "huh?"

There is much overlap but I don't see the 3 words as interchangeable. Lots of twinks are cute but not really hot or handsome; a handsome man can be sexless and dull; a hot guy can be quirky-looking but possess a certain charm and project confidence.

The trifecta, though, is marriage material.

by Anonymousreply 2607/24/2013

We can probably all agree that Jon Hamm is handsome.

by Anonymousreply 2707/24/2013

How did this thread become about you r28 etc. You're not cute ok? There solved your prob.

by Anonymousreply 2907/24/2013

It is a problem...that all gay really want out of a conversation is for someone to acknowledge that they're as cute as they find themselves.

by Anonymousreply 3107/24/2013

Cute - Harry Styles

Handsome - Bradley Cooper

Good-looking - Matt Bomer

by Anonymousreply 3207/24/2013

Handsome ages well. Handsome will still see action after 50. Handsome usually doesn't come into their prime of looks until after 30.

Cute can become un-cute without a lot of work. Cute can't afford to not work out, moisturize, and get their hair situation under control at a young age.

Good looking is what falls between the two. It's a six that is well put together most of the time, or an eight who is underperforming due to egregious undercapitalization of their looks.

by Anonymousreply 3307/25/2013

"Cute" transitions into "Gnomish" once we hit our 40s.

"Handsome" can transcend age - it's the favored bone structure combined with minimal changes to overall weight.

"Good Looking" is subjective and requires a flock of ugly people for comparison.

by Anonymousreply 3407/25/2013

Is the OP Brandon?

by Anonymousreply 3507/25/2013

You're not allowed to type that name, R35.

It's like Candyman, but he licks all of your appliances.

by Anonymousreply 3607/25/2013

A good looking person can be cute or handsome, it's a synonym for attractive. It's not separate from those other words.

by Anonymousreply 3707/25/2013

I rather like cute than handsome or good looking. I never thought Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise were handsome.

by Anonymousreply 3807/25/2013

lolz @ R3

by Anonymousreply 3907/25/2013

People always called me cute most of my life but all I wanted to be was handsome damn it.

The reason I hate being called cute, especially from gay guys is like this:

It is a polite way of saying, that guy over there is hot! I want to fuck him. But you are cute, lets cuddle.

by Anonymousreply 4007/25/2013

R16, there are several things you could do. Start by changing your picture to something less attractive, or make it more obscure. How about a picture of you and your partner, Iv seen that before, that should get the point across.

Second thing is, you probably are flirting if your partner has picked up on it. Twitter is such a "look at me" kind of social app. People on Twitter usually crave attention. Shy people who like their privacy usually don't tweet. It's not a sex site but still, its a ego driven thing which attracts followers.

I am guessing you wont change your picture because you like the attention. But truth be told, if they are real friends, they would be so even if you looked like an old lady.

by Anonymousreply 4107/25/2013

Gregory Peck was handsome. Love him.

Was just watching Teen Wolf, so: Tyler Hoechlin is both handsome and good looking imo, Tyler Posey is cute and Dylan O good looking. I used to think Dylan was cute but now his features are more sharp and he's so skinny that he's just not cute anymore. Not that it's a bad thing. Hot is someone who you'd fuck, but it's more subjective than say handsome.

by Anonymousreply 4207/25/2013

Did he ask you for a loan right after that, R43?

by Anonymousreply 4407/25/2013

Your friend's feelings maybe more filial than sexual, R45.

by Anonymousreply 4607/25/2013

You are a terrible writer, r45. Take a basic composition class ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 4707/25/2013

Dumb question, OP, as those words don't necessarily mean the same thing to every person in the world.

by Anonymousreply 4807/25/2013

They aren't mutually exclusive, but they are different.

by Anonymousreply 4907/25/2013

[quote]I think Matt Bomer would qualify as gorgeous--there's a "prettiness" about him that keeps him from being handsome, and the ice blue eyes with the pale skin give him a look that almost otherworldly. To me, that's gorgeous.

Matt Bomer is just straight up beautiful. I agree it wouldn't really work to label him "handsome," certainly not "cute," and "good looking" doesn't remotely do him justice. However, he's probably the most beautiful man working in Hollywood right now, and his looks will age well. He may grow in to "handsome" as he ages.

My picks for examples of the OP's words:

Cute = Zac Efron when he was young and pretty (he seems to have beefed up too much of late)

Handsome = Pierce Brosnan

Good Looking = Ryan Gosling

BTW, Channing Tatum does not belong anywhere near any of these words.

by Anonymousreply 5007/25/2013

To each his own. I find Channing Tatum gorgeous and sexy. Bomer is certainly a good looking guy, but I personally find him bland and asexual. Plus, his body tends toward a pair shape, with narrow shoulders and wider hips, which I don't find attractive on a guy.

by Anonymousreply 5107/25/2013

R45,

May I hazard a guess as to your professional? Are you an acting coach who was either a model or actress in your youth?

by Anonymousreply 5207/25/2013

Channing Tatum has always reminded me of a wax figure doll--also he doesn't really have a distinct bone structure.

In ten years, you'll be posting "WHET Channing Tatum."

by Anonymousreply 5307/25/2013

Jake G was really cute when he was much younger. He morphed into a good looking guy. Not sure I would've ever labeled him handsome. He's still good looking, but age is not going to be kind. He already looks 10 years older than his age.

by Anonymousreply 5407/25/2013

If a guy is short, he's cute. Tall, handsome .or good-looking.

by Anonymousreply 5507/25/2013

Cute can be: 1- You seem nice and I'm trying to be polite but please go away. 2- You are young and seem adorable. There is no sexual/romantic attraction. Like how you would feel about a puppy. 3- You have a nice smile and seem warm/charming. There's sexual/romantic attraction.

Good looking sounds a bit sterile to me. Handsome sounds more appealing.

by Anonymousreply 5607/25/2013

What R8 says is how I see it.

by Anonymousreply 5707/25/2013

"Cute: attractive and sexy in a non-threatening way. Striking "feminine" features like eyes, lips and hair. A pleasant, charming, entertaining or flirtatious personality usually increases this appeal. Usually indicates a youthful quality even when applied to older people."

Perfect example of why the OP's question is so pointless; these words mean different things to different people. My own definition of "cute" agrees with all of the above EXCEPT "'feminine' features.'" I can think of a lot of guys I'd describe as cute whose features aren't "feminine."

by Anonymousreply 5807/26/2013

R8 nails it.

by Anonymousreply 5907/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.