Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Let's acknowledge Emile Griffith, who just died. Black, gay boxer, who came out , when it was unheard of

In 1962, another opponent referred to Griffith with a Spanish slur, for 'gay' -Marricon, challenging his manhood. In the 12th round, Griffith laid into the guy, and gave him 17 blows, in 5 seconds. The guy was knocked out. Afterwards, in his dressing room, Griffith said " I hope he isn't really hurt. I pray to God, I say from my heart, I hope he's alright". The man died. Griffith was unabashed with his sexuality. He would walk into a gay bar, and announce "I'm here guys". In 1992, he was beaten badly outside a gay bar in Times Square. In 1990, he was inducted into the boxing Hall Of Fame. But sadly, he was most remembered for the 1962 boxer's death.

by Anonymousreply 407/24/2013

Already a thread. Thus, he was acknowledged.

by Anonymousreply 107/24/2013

From this morning's L.A. Times.

I bet the name was "Puta," not "Maricon."

It's that much dirtier.

Love the quote about him designing hats and wearing "extravagantly" tight clothes.

by Anonymousreply 207/24/2013

OP, "the 1962 boxer" had a name: Benny "Kid" Paret. Maybe not a very nice guy, using the homophobic slur as he did, but a good boxer who certainly didn't deserve to die for his sins.

I saw that fight when I was 13 & have always been a big fan of Emile Griffith. Griffith had a hard time coping with the fact that he'd killed a man, however justified & innocent it was. I'm pretty sure he'd want Paret's name to be remembered with respect for the good boxer that Paret was.

by Anonymousreply 307/24/2013

This too

by Anonymousreply 407/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!