Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Let's acknowledge Emile Griffith, who just died. Black, gay boxer, who came out , when it was unheard of

In 1962, another opponent referred to Griffith with a Spanish slur, for 'gay' -Marricon, challenging his manhood. In the 12th round, Griffith laid into the guy, and gave him 17 blows, in 5 seconds. The guy was knocked out. Afterwards, in his dressing room, Griffith said " I hope he isn't really hurt. I pray to God, I say from my heart, I hope he's alright". The man died. Griffith was unabashed with his sexuality. He would walk into a gay bar, and announce "I'm here guys". In 1992, he was beaten badly outside a gay bar in Times Square. In 1990, he was inducted into the boxing Hall Of Fame. But sadly, he was most remembered for the 1962 boxer's death.

by Anonymousreply 407/24/2013

Already a thread. Thus, he was acknowledged.

by Anonymousreply 107/24/2013

From this morning's L.A. Times.

I bet the name was "Puta," not "Maricon."

It's that much dirtier.

Love the quote about him designing hats and wearing "extravagantly" tight clothes.

by Anonymousreply 207/24/2013

OP, "the 1962 boxer" had a name: Benny "Kid" Paret. Maybe not a very nice guy, using the homophobic slur as he did, but a good boxer who certainly didn't deserve to die for his sins.

I saw that fight when I was 13 & have always been a big fan of Emile Griffith. Griffith had a hard time coping with the fact that he'd killed a man, however justified & innocent it was. I'm pretty sure he'd want Paret's name to be remembered with respect for the good boxer that Paret was.

by Anonymousreply 307/24/2013

This too

by Anonymousreply 407/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.