Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Men's Fashion

By request:

[quote]There's GOT to be a bunch of useful advice from posters waiting to be shared, especially about classic styles and formalwear.

[quote][R38], yes and about suits. those that are fused and those that are not.

[quote]What's a mitred (sp?) cuff?

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 4605/11/2015

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 107/24/2013

I answered some of those in the old thread, but will take questions here.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 207/24/2013

Men's fashion: if you have a hot athletic body and handsome face you look good in anything

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 307/24/2013

Awesome. Thanks, OP, for starting this thread!

One nagging issue I've always had is about finding dress shirts that fit me properly.

I'm a tall, thin guy (6'3" and 175 lbs.) and have a really difficult time finding off-the-shelf shirts that fit both my collar and sleeve length without having the waist billow out. So far, I've found that the Brooks Brothers slim fit shirts do the best job of accommodating my proportions, but they are pretty expensive, even if you buy them at the outlet store (where the style choices are very, very limited).

Aside from general advice about dress shirts, can anyone comment on:

(1) Which companies are known to have good-fitting off-the-shelf dress shirts?

(2) Is it worth exploring the (more expensive) option of bespoke shirts, made-to-measure? If so, where would you recommend?

(I should say that I'm not opposed to spending extra cash if the product is well made and will last.)

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 407/24/2013

Great idea for a practical advice thread, OP.

But beware: some vocal DLers loathe fashion with the passion of a thousand suns. Seriously. Any higher level discussion of style makes them really, really angry.

Maybe they were all abandoned in the Better Dresses department of their local store in childhood.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 507/24/2013

What IS a mitred cuff?

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 607/24/2013

What are your measurements?

I think bespoke shirts are a great option if you have $450 to $500 to spend on a shirt.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 707/24/2013

R4, just look for "tapered fit" and you'll be fine. Same issue here and rarely wear dress shirts but haven't gone wrong with those two words on almost any brand.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 807/24/2013

R4 have you tried the extra slim fit at Brooks Brothers?

Get your sizing worked out at a retail location, and then buy them on line. They have all sizes in stock on line so you"ll get more choice and you know it will fit.

They discount if you but three or more and have semi annual sales. I've been buying them online for years and don't think I've ever paid more than $60 per shirt.

Also you can plug your size in on the website so it only shows you what you can use.

You just have to like blue shirts as that's pretty much all they carry.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 907/24/2013

Have you tried Hugh and Crye R4? They have an online fitting thingie, gives you a better idea of what size/style to buy.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 1007/24/2013

R4, Charles Tyrwhitt has good slim shirts. They're like Thomas Pink, but much cheaper, as little as $39 during seasonal sales.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 1107/24/2013

We are having a graveside service for my partner's mom on Monday. It is jus too hot to wear a suit and it will just be my close family (my partner has no blood relatives except for his brother now.) We are very casual people. Please tell me it's okay to wear a dress shirt and dress pants. It would just be too hot to wear a suit. Do we (my partner and I) need to wear a tie?

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 1207/24/2013

R12, you go with your tube-top, flip-flops, and 40 ouncer.

She'll be dead and you'll be comfertable.

Win! Win!

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 1307/24/2013

You'll never get me to say it's OK not to wear a suit to a funeral.

Summer-weight fabric, R12.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 1407/24/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 1507/24/2013

Linen, R15. Cotton seersucker.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 1607/24/2013

Lots of great suggestions here. Thanks everyone!

r7, My off-the-shelf shirt size is 15 1/2 - 35, although I think that might get adjusted a little if I were to actually have my measurements taken (which I've never done) and a custom shirt made.

r8, I'll add "tapered fit" to my shopping vocabulary. Outside of the summer, I DO wear a dress shirt pretty much every day, even if it's with jeans (I know some people don't like this look) and often with a sport coat.

r9, I haven't tried the Brooks Brothers extra slim fit, but that's mainly because my local outlet branch doesn't seem to carry any of them! I should try one on the next time I'm in a larger store.

I do try to keep up with the sales, and you're right that the Brooks Brothers "buy three" offers are usually pretty good. (Again, the trouble in shopping at the outlet store is that you sometimes can't find three slim fit shirts you want to buy--the selection is too small.)

I'll have to start considering their website as a viable option... I've only just recently begun buying wearable items online from retailers that are consistent in their sizing.

r10 and r11, thanks for the new suggestions. I've never heard of these brands before, but I'll definitely check them out!

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 1707/25/2013

[quote]I think bespoke shirts are a great option if you have $450 to $500 to spend on a shirt.

So much for a "practical advice thread."

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 1807/25/2013

Can I wear these plain toe Cordovans with jeans and a T-shirt?

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 1907/25/2013

[quote]Men's fashion: if you have a hot athletic body and handsome face you look good in anything

Not true!

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 2007/25/2013

Reddit has a great men's fashion subreddit. Tons of great info.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 2107/25/2013

R4, Nobody notices your dress shirt as much as you think they do. I am very picky about my shirts; so, when I find a shirt that I like, I buy three. One to wear, one to wash, and one for matinee days. ;-) I know it sounds silly, but if you have a hard time buying shirts, it makes a lot of sense. You also, never have to worry about having the "right" shirt.

Also, you don't need custom shirts. You can have your dry cleaner sew two darts in the back of your shirt.

Please get measured. 35" arm does not sound right for 6'3" unless you have very short arms.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 2207/25/2013

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 2307/25/2013

You are right, r22: the 35" sleeves are always too short for me (always hidden, for example, beneath my jacket cuffs). But if I get shirts with the right sleeve length, the waist and collar sizes are screwy.

Interesting idea about having darts sewn in...

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 2407/25/2013

Are dark jeans still in? That's pretty much all I see anymore. And what's the deal with guys rolling up the cuffs to their jeans? I think that looks ridiculous.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 2507/25/2013

OP, it seems to me that you could go to Brooks Brothers, get measured, buy one shirt and get it perfect, then go from there to online.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 2607/25/2013

R4, your shirt sleeve should ALWAYS show beyond your jacket cuff! That is a major fashion don't.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 2707/25/2013

R12 - men rarely coordinate on clothing, but in this case, you guys might be better off asking his brother about it? All three of you should be dressed at the same level. I was the only male at my grandmother's funeral who didn't have a jacket and tie, and felt a bit self-conscious, but my mom said, "The rest of us live in the northeast, and you came in from out west, so it's ok."

I have trouble with my neck and sleeve coordination in shirts: 17.5 and 34 works best. I can get through a couple of hours in a 17, but all day would be rough; those 34-35 "range" sleeves are often too long, while 32 - 33 would be halfway to my elbows!

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 2807/25/2013

You should look into Land's End. The quality is very good for the price and they have a lot of size options. Try "Tailored fit, Tall, 15.5 x 36," and then the sleeves won't be so short.

Also, I totally agree with the idea that sometimes the best solution is to simply have a tailor perform a few alterations. My partner has an unusual build, too, and he has a guy that can make his clothes look like they were custom fit.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 2907/25/2013

R1 Never out of fashion. I should know, I use them daily.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 3007/25/2013

I always felt uneasy about wearing black and navy together until last week on PR when our boy Zac was wearing a black suit with a navy shirt. Now I know I'm good to go.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 3107/25/2013

Lots of great advice, and some good links to new shops. Thanks everyone!

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 3207/27/2013

Okay, new question:

What do we think about bow ties?

I only occasionally see a (non-hipster) guy in a classy bow tie, but when I do it always leaves an impression. I was just given a classic black silk bow tie (for formal wear only, I'd guess) and I was thinking of maybe branching out from the traditional long tie and picking up a couple bow ties.

What say you, DL Fashion Experts?

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 3308/14/2013

if my round ass sticks out, then it's fine, no?

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 3408/14/2013

More and more dress shirts with 15-16.5" necks and 36/37" sleeves in a slim/tapered fit in $55-$95 price range. Klein,Kenneth Cole,even Arrow .... look for modern fit or city fit...all means the same thing...

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 3508/14/2013

Unfortunately, R33, I'd have to see you wearing a bow tie to comment. Some guys can pull off wearing them, and other ... can't!

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 3608/15/2013

Do people actually buy this shit? Not once have I seen men wear something like this. What's the point of making something stuff people just laugh at?

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 3711/22/2013

YSL wore the combination of blue and black often in his personal life. You are in good company, r31.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 3811/23/2013

Today men's fashion is very trendy every one want unique style that enhance this personality just wearing T-Shrit or jeans is not enough for fashion just you need a jacket that comfort you in this weather. belted rider jacket in brown & black color is the best one for any person who want to change his personality.just click the name & grab it.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 3905/13/2014

I wear bowties sometimes but ones i tie myself.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 4005/13/2014

I can vouch for r3. As long as your clothes fit well and you can sit a coffee cup on your ass, it doesn't matter what label you're wearing.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 4105/13/2014

Can anyone explain the difference between a blazer, sport coat and suit jacket? Also, can the jackets sold as a separate (the ones where matching pants are bought separately) be worn as a sport coat/blazer?

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 4210/30/2014

How about nice winter coats?

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 4310/30/2014

Bump for bow ties and blazers

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 4410/31/2014

hi guys i am ricky johnson and i worked for a online leather jackets store famous movie jackets where you will get a Hollywood celebrity leather outfit at very reasonable price with free shipment on order over $200...

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 4505/11/2015

What about if you're short like 5'7" or 5'8". Collared shirts sometimes don't fit or the collar covers your whole neck making you seem like you have no neck. And trench coats look ridiculous.

by Hugo Bossypantsreply 4605/11/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!