Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

First Same-Sex Marriage License Issued in Pennsylvania

Loreen Bloodgood and Alicia Terrizzi have become the first same-sex couple in Pennsylvania to be issued a marriage license, according to CBS Philly.

Despite the fact that a state constitutional amendment forbids same-sex marriage, Montgomery County officials announced earlier this week that they would issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples who showed up at the Register of Wills. Today, the county's register of wills, D. Bruce Hanes, made good on that promise, saying he wanted to come down on the right side of history — and the law.

“We’re no different than anybody else…finally it’s recognized,” Terrizzi told CBS Philly. “It doesn’t make any difference to us. Nothing is going to change, but now we’re going to have a piece of paper so everybody else recognizes.”

Another lesbian couple was scheduled to apply for the state’s first same-sex marriage license earlier this week, but changed their minds after meeting with the Americans Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania on Tuesday; The ACLU is currently challenging the state’s prohibition on marriage equality in court.

by Anonymousreply 1707/26/2013

So they are doing what Newsom did back in 2004, by thwarting State law? I hope it works better in PA than it did in CA.

by Anonymousreply 207/24/2013

[quote]I started a thread about the situation yesterday, and after 24hours, not one bite.

Thanks for posting that. r1. I wanted to reply but couldn't get to my DL ID number to post. The place has been on Prime Time since Monday.

by Anonymousreply 407/24/2013

Are they legal?

by Anonymousreply 507/24/2013

The county's register of wills, D. Bruce Hanes is an American Hero - he was also great on Rachel Maddow tonight.

by Anonymousreply 607/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 707/24/2013

This just in: Rick Santorum's bigoted brain is about to explode.

by Anonymousreply 807/24/2013

Great! I love it when someone decides to be a big old shit-stirrer!

by Anonymousreply 907/24/2013

What on earth do you mean, R2? It may have escaped you, but we now have marriage equality in California. Newsom's act of political courage helped get the ball rolling.

Oh, and go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 1007/25/2013

Go for it, keystone dykes!!

by Anonymousreply 1107/25/2013

R10, I'm in California you dweeb.

It took NINE AND A HALF years to get marriage equality in CA, thanks to Newsom's theatrics.

I truly hope PA moves more efficiently.

by Anonymousreply 1207/25/2013

r12 Bless you, chil'.

by Anonymousreply 1307/25/2013

They're not legal. They're invalid. Next.

by Anonymousreply 1407/25/2013

The dominoes are a'toppling.

by Anonymousreply 1507/25/2013

The spirit is a-movin' all over this land.

by Anonymousreply 1607/25/2013

[quote]Rick Santorum's bigoted brain is about to explode.

That could cause a problem with his closet.

by Anonymousreply 1707/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!