Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Groupon people

A friend of mine does tours 5 nights a week here in NYC. They are Chinatown based with some food sampling going on.

He took Groupon as a way to fill in the Tuesday, Wednesday nights that do not fill up at full price. He will let a discounter in on a weekend if it is not full.

He has come to despise Groupon.

Groupon people wait until their coupon is set to expire than call up and demand a weekend. When told it is sold out they give a reason why they cannot possibly do it because of work.

Again he tells them the weekend is sold out and since they typically have less than a week he advises them to book a tour that is available. About half do so then make a big show of coming late with a story about how 'they almost lost their job' because of this and 'it had better be worth it'. Total bullshit.

The ones who fail to use their coupon call after the expiration and demand it be accepted.

He calmly explains that Groupon counts on this. They keep most of the money and when selling the deal they make a point of letting the merchant know that 75% of the buyers will never use it.

If he offers to let them use the expired one, they then begin the demand for a weekend.

Are you a Groupon user?

by Anonymousreply 2808/22/2013

So - then why is he even dealing with Groupon?

by Anonymousreply 107/24/2013

What the hell is groupon, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 207/24/2013

He stopped.

He initially sold 100 coupons to try and fill in slow nights.

It became such a pain he never ran the offer again.

by Anonymousreply 307/24/2013

R2 Groupon is a discount site.

by Anonymousreply 407/24/2013

I know a chef who hates groupon people.

The owner of the restaurant posted a very specific deal. The groupon folks want to change it every time and when they sell the deal as stated they go on Yelp and trash him.

by Anonymousreply 507/25/2013

A friend of mine who owns a restaurant says that when restaurants start using Groupon that is a sign that the restaurant is in trouble. And Groupon kills restaurants, doesn't help them.

by Anonymousreply 607/25/2013

Groupon can be good for both the customer and the restaurant.

BUT - a big but - it does need to be used correctly.

Too many places will sell unlimited amounts to boost business but have no capacity to fill demand, so the customers have a bad experience and never return.

Groupon doesn't help by trying to suggest the biggest orders possible to the companies.

And yes, there are many entitled twats who wait till the last minute to use their Groupons, cry about their expiration, etc. Those entitled twats suck dirty, stinky moose ass and they should be shamed online.

by Anonymousreply 707/25/2013

R6 most of the time that is true, but occasionally, like restaurant week a place will craft a specific deal that they can afford to sell via groupon in order to attract new customers.

However....the groupon users are the most demanding and useless and they always regret inviting them in.

by Anonymousreply 807/25/2013

I use it - have found some great deals, and have gone back to several restaurants I might not have tried otherwise.

Groupon always sends me reminders when an offer is about to expire.

by Anonymousreply 907/25/2013

Groupon is just a reflection of how horrible people are.

by Anonymousreply 1007/25/2013

I've used Groupons as a consumer about 3-4 times, and every time they were a massive pain in the ass. There were always so many restrictions on how it could be used.

Apparently restaurants DO hate them, as Groupon users are demanding bitches and Groupons almost never result in repeat visits/service after the offer.

I think both Yelp and Groupon have actually harmed small businesses more than helped them.

by Anonymousreply 1207/25/2013

I never had a problem using them, but I live in Chicago and as a general rule, I try to go out during the week, anyway.

It's more pleasant. The city is overrun by suburban douchetards who want filet mignon for 5.99 on the weekends. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 1407/25/2013

Chicago, my condolences.

by Anonymousreply 1508/03/2013

I was at a pizza place today in Queens...been in business 6 months. GREAT pies. Groupon customer...

"I know it says it expired in May but we did not use it and we PAID for it, so you have to honor it or I will trash you on Yelp".

This is August.

The owner told her in clear terms, they ran the deal when they were brand new and she could say anything she wanted because his customers know better.

by Anonymousreply 1608/04/2013

I rarely buy restaurant groupons (they seem to only have crappy restaurants) but buy a lot of spray tans, facials, Botox, movie theater and store discounts. Nordstrom rack ran one a couple of years ago, $25 for $50, and I bought 4. They do a good job of standing behind their deals, and will refund you if you have a poor experience. I always check reviews of places before buying though. It saves a lot of time and energy.

by Anonymousreply 1708/04/2013

I used to use it to try out at places I was iffy about - but no more. The last time - the service changed markedly once they knew a Groupon was involved (even though we ordered well above the value of the offer). Won't go back, and won't Groupon again.

by Anonymousreply 1808/04/2013

Will somebody please explain) to me how groupon works? I find it as baffling as time shares.

by Anonymousreply 1908/19/2013

Groupon discounts and heavily advertises say a gym. Groupon takes most of the money from the discounted deal.

Say the gym offers 30 days for 30 dollars when their normal rate is 90 for a month.

Groupon keeps at least 15 of the 30 (often more) and cuts the gym a small check for immediate cash.

Guy goes in with coupon and gets his 30 days.

Gym hopes he will stay after 30 days but it rarely happens.

Groupon sells the deal assuring the gym that most of it's buyers are idiots who will forget to use the deal and it will expire, so the average rate per person will really be 120 or some shit.

Two years after deal expires groupon person comes in with coupon demanding that it be accepted. When they refuse she screams and demands a manager etc.

This will happen daily for a while until all the groupon people are exhausted and yelp gets filled with fake reviews.

by Anonymousreply 2008/20/2013

I ran a Groupon deal with my business and it really was more trouble than it was worth. Groupon takes a huge percentage and you just have to write the whole thing off as marketing and don't expect to make back a dime.

Over half of the customers demanded other things that weren't covered in the deal. The Groupon was clearly explained- if you wanted something different than what the Groupon was offering why did you purchase it?

I'll never use them again for my business, but I will buy one myself from time to time. After being on the receiving end of complaining customers, I make sure to be 100% hassle free when using one myself.

And this should go without saying, but if you use one at a restaurant you tip on the whole amount and not the tab after the Groupon is applied.

by Anonymousreply 2108/20/2013

It all looks so exhausting to me, on both sides of the customer/business fence.

Unless there's some really substantial savings at stake, and unless it's dirt easy to obtain and to use, and provided I'm not left feeling like a steerage class customer waving my piece of paper or a coupon on my phone at someone who doesn't have a clue and has to track someone else down to interpret the fine points of the coupon's limitations and restrictions... I can't fucking be bothered. Third-party discounts always seem more a bother than a boon.

I suspect it's perfect, though, for those people who enjoy taking all expense paid overnight trips to hear about exciting time-share opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 2208/20/2013

r22 NAILED it. I completely agree. Btw, why are they called groupons? Do you have to use the offer as a group with someone? Or what?

by Anonymousreply 2308/20/2013

I've never used Groupon and have stopped using Yelp. The latter is a scam; they filter out positive reviews and then charge businesses to put them back. Also, businesses have started offering customers discounts and other incentives for writing reviews.

by Anonymousreply 2408/20/2013

I use Groupons for several things.

Groupons are always worth their paid value. We had some hotel stay groupons that expired. We paid $59 for them a couple of years back.

We booked the rooms at $127 and paid the difference. So we didn't get a discount but we at least used the money we had already paid.

I always read the restrictions and would never argue with the vendor about the term unless they were fulfilling their end.

by Anonymousreply 2508/20/2013

I hate Groupon. I bought one for a bikini wax once because it was such a good deal (75% off). But when I got there they told me no men. WTF? That's discrimination. How is my hole any different than a woman's hole? Fuck Groupon. They never work.

by Anonymousreply 2608/21/2013

Some customers are assholes - whether they have a coupon or not.

Take R26 for example.

by Anonymousreply 2708/22/2013

R16, I love that story. I love hearing when people attempt to bully and are thwarted.

It makes me believe just a little bit in the goodness of the world (in a mean way).

by Anonymousreply 2808/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.